• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Just found this good deal at Target.com. They have an Element 50" TV on sale for 499 and they're freeshipping it as well. The TV says that it's JBL tuned, not sure what that means, but i'm guessing comes with a better sound quality than a regular TV would. Here's the link.

http://www.target.com/p/element-50-class-1080p-60hz-lcd-hdtv-fea...

Member Summary

element LCD
Thanks BMWLVR82
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
Best place to buy low-cost/decent-quality wall mounts is monoprice.com. It's also a great place to buy audiovisual cabl... (more)

peterl1365 (Aug. 01, 2012 @ 3:59p) |

Just got this on claerance at Target here in Northern Virginia today. Was maeked down to $325 while I was standing ther... (more)

thegreater (Sep. 17, 2012 @ 3:17p) |

Thank you.. Good price!

I just came back from my local Target and they just sold out the last unit.
Too bad.. Someone gra... (more)

netmaster911 (Sep. 17, 2012 @ 4:41p) |

• Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Even with JBL speakers, they still don't sound as good from the 2006-2008 LCD TVs that used to cost over $3,000 before.

Thanks. Do you think it's still a good buy for the price? I actually just bought two from the website (Living room + bedroom) and haven't actually tested the TV.

Yup I will try this out. Thanks

If you have a target card you get 5% off but you pay tax in most states...so shiattate

Look into the three year warranty for around $40. I would not buy a large screen tv without one. The old crt tv's use to last 20 years but these new fangled flat tvs don't last.

Before someone jumps in to say their flat screen is x years old without a lick of trouble, all this senile old fool is saying is...what was the question? Oh yea, buy the stinking warranty.

GeorgeT said:   Look into the three year warranty for around $40. I would not buy a large screen tv without one. The old crt tv's use to last 20 years but these new fangled flat tvs don't last.
Before someone jumps in to say their flat screen is x years old without a lick of trouble, all this senile old fool is saying is...what was the question? Oh yea, buy the stinking warranty.
Is that just anecdotal or do you have data to back it up? Many of the manufacturer estimates on lifespan are on the order of 60k~100k hrs which is something like 10yrs of 24/7 usage.

Personally, I wouldn't get the warranty. When is the last time you've heard of someone's TV dying in the first 3yrs? Besides, if you use AMEX or Visa Signature credit card, you get 2yrs warranty for free anyway (1yr manufacturer + 1yr CC). Save the $40 (8% of the total cost) and spend it on your next TV. That's just my two cents.

GeorgeT said:   The old crt tv's use to last 20 years...
Did that include the cheap, Element-brand CRTs sold at Target? None of my flat panel displays have died. But I didn't buy them off the bottom shelf at Wal-Mart.

I have an Olevia 32" I bought from CompUSA for what at the time was a bargain basement price. Other than not being compatible with any of my cable companies remotes it has been trouble free.

That said, I don' think that $40 for an extended warranty is a terrible idea. Of course if the extended coverage doesn't cover accidental damage don't bother. Chances are that if the thing works out of the box you are more likely to damage the set than have it fail within the extended coverage period.

If someone has this on for a good chunk of the day Wally's World of low Wages has a 50" Sanyo with some kind of eco feature for $550. According to energy star it only uses ~100W on the medium energy setting, which is probably ~120W less than this tv. For someone who has it on for ~6+ hours a day, it's cheaper to go with the slightly more expensive model after ~2 years or so.

Costco members can buy their squaretrade 3 year addl(4yrs total) for $30 iirc

Looks very good. Thank you.

Yuyak said:   GeorgeT said:   Look into the three year warranty for around $40. I would not buy a large screen tv without one. The old crt tv's use to last 20 years but these new fangled flat tvs don't last.
Is that just anecdotal or do you have data to back it up? Many of the manufacturer estimates on lifespan are on the order of 60k~100k hrs which is something like 10yrs of 24/7 usage.

Personally, I wouldn't get the warranty. When is the last time you've heard of someone's TV dying in the first 3yrs? Besides, if you use AMEX or Visa Signature credit card, you get 2yrs warranty for free anyway (1yr manufacturer + 1yr CC). Save the $40 (8% of the total cost) and spend it on your next TV. That's just my two cents.

My panny 50" died just 1 month after 1 year warranty was up. If I could go back and by an extension to my warranty for a whopping $40, i would def do it. He is right, new tvs haven't even been out for 10-20 years for them to actually do the test on. They are predictions. Let me tell you, their predictions suck!!

n2bimmers said:   Yuyak said:   GeorgeT said:   Look into the three year warranty for around $40. I would not buy a large screen tv without one. The old crt tv's use to last 20 years but these new fangled flat tvs don't last.

My panny 50" died just 1 month after 1 year warranty was up. If I could go back and by an extension to my warranty for a whopping $40, i would def do it. He is right, new tvs haven't even been out for 10-20 years for them to actually do the test on. They are predictions. Let me tell you, their predictions suck!!
Well, sure I'm not saying TVs never fail, but your story is just anecdotal - equivalent of people saying "their flat screen is x years old without a lick of trouble". I'm sorry that happened to you, but I think you were just very unlucky. My point is:
1) The 10-20yr comment really isn't relevant since a 3yr warranty doesn't make any difference whether your TV does or doesn't last 10-20yrs.
2) Yes, some people will benefit from the warranty (like you would have) but most won't. The fact that they're charging 8% of the cost of the TV means that the chance of TV failing in 3yrs has to be less than 1 in 12 or they'd lose money in offering this service. At a fail rate of 1 in 12, they'd be just breaking even without considering shipping/customer support/operational costs. So the real failure rate has to be MUCH lower; companies don't like to voluntarily offer service plans that costs them money, or even have the chance of costing them money.
3) I haven't seen any data yet that these TVs have inherently high failure rates - not anecdotes, but statistics. If you have them, please share. That's valuable information that we can all benefit from.
4) Assuming you have a credit card that extends warranty, you're basically buying warranty JUST for that 3rd year for $40 (day 730 through day 1095). And of course the value of the TV 2yrs from now will be far lower than $500 so the actual percentage you're paying extra is >8%.
5) In the end, you have to do a cost-benefit analysis and determine HOW risk adverse you are. The question boils down to: what do you think the odds are that your TV will be fine for the first 2 yrs but will fail before the end of the 3rd year, and does that risk justify spending $40? That's a personally decision but my opinion is that the warranty isn't worth the cost.

Just an FYI: WalMart has a 50" Sceptre LCD for $499.99 and BestBuy just started selling a 50" Insignia LCD on sale this week for $499.99

I really like this size in an LCD. I believe all these models are 60hz which is fine IMHO. 60hz means no soap opera effect.

-Guru

Speaking as someone whose relatives and friends usually call to help fix their electronics (Tv, laptops, PCs, game consoles, washers, etc) I have found a common thread in most failures (excluding manufacturing defects which generally show up very early). Most of the time the failure is thermal related. People put their TV in a enclosure with minimal air circulation or let the dust build up until is costs the inside components. My father-in-laws PC must have had an inch of dust inside when it quit, although after I blew it up and reseated everything it worked fine. SO if it works the first few months and it is kept cool, it probably will last many years (even cheap brands - note: thermal management is one area that cheap brands usually do scrimp on).

I actually did buy the warranty. the price was very resonable to pass.

I did some research on the Sceptre and discovered that it's a terrible brand. Frankly most reviews i read on the Element we positive. For the same price, i'd probably pick the Element.

In this week circular, B&M use only Target has a coupon for 10% off a Single Television with the purchase of television wall mount. 15% off if you have a Redcard and need a wall mount.

Spiderkiller2 said:   In this week circular, B&M use only Target has a coupon for 10% off a Single Television with the purchase of television wall mount. 15% off if you have a Redcard and need a wall mount.

I think they had a similar coupon awhile back for 10% off any tv when buying an HDMI cable. I remember people just buying the cheapest hdmi cable so they could use the coupon and then later returning the hdmi cable. I wonder if you could do this with the wall mount? That would be a pretty decent deal when you add the 5% off with the target redcard.

-Guru

The stores local to me don't carry the Element brand.

We should try the best product with best service.

I bought this TV as a budget TV Friday 7/27 - for my bedroom actually. I've been looking for one I couldn't pass up for $500 or less. The sound bar is what sealed the deal for me and the 6 five star reviews on the target website.
I give this TV 5 stars for the price - my only drawback is that the yellow triangle sticker they put on the bottom right of the screen has now made a discoloration in that shape when the screen is black in a dark room- not sure if you understand. I also have a constant white pixel that is also ONLY noticeable in a dark room on a black screen. I need to go back to the store and order the 3 year warranty just in case these issues worsen. The pixel and the triangle discoloration does not bother me because I can only notice it when my screen is black in my dark room.

The first movie I watched on it was "Sprit" by Dream Works (About a horse). I put the Audio on Music, and turned on the surround sound setting because it had a lot of songs in it - It was WONDERFUL. I have YET to turn the volume up above notch 7 because the sound is so strong. You will definite have to change the settings for different things which I think is great!

This is my first TV/HDTV I ever purchased. For a budget TV I don't think I could have done better. These are almost sold out so you should grab one while you can. I got the same price in the store as listed online which was unusual.

I think the remote is nice and easy to use as well - nice design.

I cannot describe cable yet with my HDMI cable because I now need a new cable box that supports HD. *Cheers*

My room is only 11'x11' and I have a 50" TV in there. It's a great picture, and sounds wonderful. I am very happy despite a couple tiny things.

I'm looking to buy this and have it wall-mounted.

Any recommendations for a thin, affordable wall-mount that would go well with this TV?

Thanks in advance.

In-store this might be clearanced, there is one in my local store in box for $324.98... see target clearance thread post, they also have the apex 26" LED with DVD for $115 commonly, 8 left in my store still. western MT if you are wondering. and no, I won't buy it and ship it to you.

Thanks for that info. Called the two Targets nearest me (Watertown & Cicero NY) and they both quoted me $649

I finally got HD Cable - it's a beautiful picture! Great TV for the $500 price!

I especially love hooking it up to my laptop and playing Diablo on it.

desiredsecrets said:   I finally got HD Cable - it's a beautiful picture! Great TV for the $500 price!

I especially love hooking it up to my laptop and playing Diablo on it.

May I ask what settings your using for HD Cable? I recently picked one of these up for my father ($325 on clearance) plus 5% off pharmacy rewards + %5 off for redcard. We just set it up the other day but I haven't had a chance to play around with it much. Just wondering what settings you changed? I agree the sound on this tv is fantastic. Who cares if its pretty thick

Thanks,

-Guru

Sure! For cable I leave it on Standard audio. I think the pre-settings on the audios work great and the feature for the "user" to set audio is great as well. You just have to play with the volume and surroundsound/standard setting to see what sounds best to you on certain shows/movies.
I didn't have to change any settings so far. I think the color on the TV is great too - I put in a gew different movies to see how the colors looked - action, anime, even old movies and the color was good. No adjustments needed.

WOW $325!!?? I'm very jealous right now

The thinkness of the TV doesn't bother me- infact I like them this way. It makes me feel like it won't fall apart in two years.

Thank you thank you! My husband picked one up last night @ $324!!

kdaniels said:   Thank you thank you! My husband picked one up last night @ $324!!

Oh Another lucky one! I still paid $499.00 - I don't think store near me have cut down to $324.

mikehorwitz said:   I'm looking to buy this and have it wall-mounted.

Any recommendations for a thin, affordable wall-mount that would go well with this TV?

Thanks in advance.

Best place to buy low-cost/decent-quality wall mounts is monoprice.com. It's also a great place to buy audiovisual cables of all sorts.

You can also buy cheap mounts off eBay, but I imagine it's a lot more hit and miss.

Just got this on claerance at Target here in Northern Virginia today. Was maeked down to $325 while I was standing there debating whether to buy at $454. If there's any left in your local store, might be a good time to check. For what its worth, you can plug its number into any of the price checker scanners and see if they have any in stock, and what its current priced at. Stock number is 008-09-0651. Good luck!

Thank you.. Good price!

I just came back from my local Target and they just sold out the last unit.
Too bad.. Someone grabbed the last one.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014