• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Update: Price is now $8.98 and still looks like the best deal out there.

This is a must have item if you have an iPod or iPhone and there is no AUX input in your car. Retail price is $49.99 for these FM Transmitters. There is a deal on eBay currently at $7.98 with free shipping. I don't know how long will the deal would last but it is a very good buy!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Griffin-iTrip-Auto-FM-Transmitter-Car-Ch...

I have checked several other sites and this is the best deal for a good brand FM transmitter that also charges the devices.

This is my first post please help me out if I need to improve!

Thank you!!!

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
I don't think it is a good idea to plug $2 device to your $600 iPhone. They are unlicensed products and might cause perm... (more)

DealFrog (Jul. 20, 2012 @ 3:11p) |

Now it's $7.95 with free shipping. Pretty Good deal.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Griffin-iTrip-Auto-FM-Transmitter-and-Ca...

mertcancam (Aug. 29, 2012 @ 1:50p) |

Thank you and got one.

happyFWer (Aug. 29, 2012 @ 1:58p) |

Check device compatibility:
iTrip Auto (2008)

Griffin Technology does not say this model works with iPhone 4S, but the seller does. AFAIK there is no power change from the iPhone 4 to 4S, so it should work fine.
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:

Thanks OP, great find!

Thanks Chris. I am new to this and looking forward to achieving more!

For those who must know, this appears to be the:

iTrip Auto (2008)

Good deal, and YMMV with FM transmitters based on local conditions. iTrip is pretty much the de facto standard for iPod FM transmitters.

Thanks, been looking for one of these things.

REFURB. OP, if an item is a refurb it is customary to list that IN THE TITLE OF THE POST -- it looked like a good deal but then I got out there and saw that it's someone elses headache. I know you're new to posting, plz learn this lesson early; many of us won't buy anything if it's refurb or has rebates involves.

Apologies.. But to be honest it is impossible to find this item at this price in brand new condition. I have searched a lot. It is minimum $25. Will be careful about that next time!

AusTex Deal Seeker said:   REFURB. OP, if an item is a refurb it is customary to list that IN THE TITLE OF THE POST -- it looked like a good deal but then I got out there and saw that it's someone elses headache. I know you're new to posting, plz learn this lesson early; many of us won't buy anything if it's refurb or has rebates involves.Seriously? You wouldn't risk eight bucks on something that normally costs three times as much just because it's a refurb? I assume it's manufacturer-tested, so why should it be that much of a problem?

Yes, I agree "refurb" should be in the title, but come on, now...

AusTex Deal Seeker said:   REFURB. OP, if an item is a refurb it is customary to list that IN THE TITLE OF THE POST -- it looked like a good deal but then I got out there and saw that it's someone elses headache. I know you're new to posting, plz learn this lesson early; many of us won't buy anything if it's refurb or has rebates involves.

How about you take it easy with the caps? Maybe this is your first post too with the grammatical errors and please use spell check.

not a good product

oldjunk said:   not a good productExplain? Is there a good alternative? I don't have AUX in my car and really want to listen to music, so I'm willing to give this thing a shot but if there's a better way available, I'd like to know about it.

I had one and it worked sometimes and then it worked zero times then the station was off. It has to transmit through the radio and that is problematic at best.

got one tks op

I have one and it works well, even in the city. Of course it's better in less urban areas. This is just the nature of the beast.

My experience has been that it does not work very well if you are in a city and that it works better if you are in rural or unpopulated areas and away from interference.

Nice for car charging too, thanks OP!

Taken from an Amazon review.
____
Like several of the other Griffin iTrip fm transmitters, this unit can be switched to international mode, which opens up the option to use frequencies lower than 88.1. No US radio stations can broadcast on frequencies lower than 88.1, so now I don't have to worry about interference!

To switch this unit to international mode, press and hold both the plus and minus (+ and -) buttons at the same time. If you hold it a while, it will give you the option to switch between LX and DX modes (stero and mono). If you keep holding the plus and minus button longer, it will give you the option to switch between US and international modes.

Think it will allow pandora to transmit also?

Agreed, its worth $8 bucks to check it out.. But I would question the compatiblilty on a 2008 item for current ipods/iphones, but if the connector is just a pass thru for the audio and does not charge it you should be ok.
If it charges also, don't think I would want a 5-watt charger connected to my $600 10-watt iPhone though.

Sychev22 said:   oldjunk said:   not a good productExplain? Is there a good alternative? I don't have AUX in my car and really want to listen to music, so I'm willing to give this thing a shot but if there's a better way available, I'd like to know about it.
It is more the fault of the FCC not allowing strong broadcasts, which limits the power output of the devices. You can buy a $5 or $50 transmitter unit and will suffer from the same problem - static. I tried this unit and others and you have to jiggle the cord around to try and get the best reception. In the end I returned it after I tried a unit I got off Meritline.com for about the same price. Not fancy or brand name or bells and whistles, but the signal was so much stronger it would overpower even local radio stations. I still use frequency 87.9 but being a unit from China it was not FCC approved so that power issue was circumvented.

IMO you can try your luck at this price but know about the alternative in case you are unhappy with the signal strength.

Wish they had one for Universal too

ISGall said:   Taken from an Amazon review.
____
Like several of the other Griffin iTrip fm transmitters, this unit can be switched to international mode, which opens up the option to use frequencies lower than 88.1. No US radio stations can broadcast on frequencies lower than 88.1, so now I don't have to worry about interference!

To switch this unit to international mode, press and hold both the plus and minus (+ and -) buttons at the same time. If you hold it a while, it will give you the option to switch between LX and DX modes (stero and mono). If you keep holding the plus and minus button longer, it will give you the option to switch between US and international modes.
Great idea! Now if I could only switch my car stereo below that...

robby69 said:   Agreed, its worth $8 bucks to check it out.. But I would question the compatiblilty on a 2008 item for current ipods/iphones, but if the connector is just a pass thru for the audio and does not charge it you should be ok.Griffin's website says it's compatible up to 4S. Certainly hope so - I had bought a different Griffin transmitter before only to find out it's supported up to the 3rd generation iPhone and it wouldn't work almost at all on the 4 - the connector just wouldn't stay plugged in.

mistadeal said:   Sychev22 said:   oldjunk said:   not a good productExplain? Is there a good alternative? I don't have AUX in my car and really want to listen to music, so I'm willing to give this thing a shot but if there's a better way available, I'd like to know about it.
It is more the fault of the FCC not allowing strong broadcasts, which limits the power output of the devices. You can buy a $5 or $50 transmitter unit and will suffer from the same problem - static. I tried this unit and others and you have to jiggle the cord around to try and get the best reception. In the end I returned it after I tried a unit I got off Meritline.com for about the same price. Not fancy or brand name or bells and whistles, but the signal was so much stronger it would overpower even local radio stations. I still use frequency 87.9 but being a unit from China it was not FCC approved so that power issue was circumvented.

IMO you can try your luck at this price but know about the alternative in case you are unhappy with the signal strength.
Thanks, man, that's why I asked. Do you have the link to the Chinese one? I wouldn't mind dropping another few bucks to compare them side by side.

manly said:   For those who must know, this appears to be the:

iTrip Auto (2008)

Good deal, and YMMV with FM transmitters based on local conditions. iTrip is pretty much the de facto standard for iPod FM transmitters.

Thanks for the link Manly. Here's a direct link to the compatibility list, check it. Most folks who own Apple products are familiar with the frustration of them making new ipods/iphones incompatible with older accessories.

By the way, great first post OP. AusTex Deal Seeker is right, "refurb" should be in the title. For $8 I don't personally care, but like he said, some of us won't buy refurb or rebate items. I'd personally update it right away to keep your post in the green.

Sychev22 said:   Griffin's website says it's compatible up to 4S.

Actually up to iPhone-4, doesn't list 4S.
But still good for a product from 1998
http://store.griffintechnology.com/ipod/ipod-classic/itripauto-2...

Oops, my bad. Not sure why 4S wouldn't be supported, though.

My friend has this unit and it works with iPhone 4S. Maybe they didn't update the product information.

It may be that they haven't tested it yet or just haven't updated the website. We'll see soon.

in 4 one

____

If your car radio can go down to 87.9 you are at luck.. That's the best station when you switch to INTL mode!

Virtually useless in NYC or NNJ area because every FM channel has something on it in one area or another and as you drive in the area your "channel" is constantly being wiped out by another FM channel including 87.9. If you sit in one place or live outside this area it works fine. I've tried 4 or 5 of these devices (including this one) and never can get them to work for more than a 5-10 mile ride from where you last chose a frequency.

YEARS ago they used to work fine all over but the FCC required a major output power reduction on FM transmitters because cars next to you in traffic had to suffer with Howard Stern even though you were enjoying it.

Other options are CD's (or cassettes) that connect to the radio internally with an AUX jack on them or a BT adapter for your vehicle which is what I ultimately purchased.

belgique said:   I had one and it worked sometimes and then it worked zero times then the station was off. It has to transmit through the radio and that is problematic at best.

and explain to these people every time you go under an over pass or over a bridge tell them what happens !, LMAO

____

everything is done through the antenna on your car NO matter what station your on. INTERFERENCE

MisterEd said:   suffer with Howard SternEnough said. IMHO, the FCC has earned their keep for this decade with that one act!

Sychev22 said:   oldjunk said:   not a good productExplain? Is there a good alternative? I don't have AUX in my car and really want to listen to music, so I'm willing to give this thing a shot but if there's a better way available, I'd like to know about it.

get yourself cassette tape

oldjunk said:   get yourself cassette tape They work great - if you have a cassette player in your vehicle...

Connman said:   oldjunk said:   get yourself cassette tape They work great - if you have a cassette player in your vehicle...Exactly. I would have gotten a tape adaptor a long time ago, trouble is my car doesn't have a tape deck.

Sychev22 said:   Connman said:   oldjunk said:   get yourself cassette tape They work great - if you have a cassette player in your vehicle...Exactly. I would have gotten a tape adaptor a long time ago, trouble is my car doesn't have a tape deck.

Well buy it ! I guess you don't have much of an option then ! Good Luck !

Skipping 36 Messages...
Thank you and got one.mertcancam said:   Now it's $7.95 with free shipping. Pretty Good deal.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Griffin-iTrip-Auto-FM-Transmitter-and-Ca...

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014