• Go to page :
  • 1 2 34
  • Text Only
meulbr, can you confirm the resolution on that monitor? Probably going to take a drive out this afternoon through traffic. Fingers crossed.

Not sure. I have not opened it yet. But, I assume so as the sign @ Costco listed it as a feature.

AnandBanned said:   I looked at one in the Dunwoody, GA store, it was nice. My brother picked one up in SoCAL, not sure which store. He is currently playing Bioshock 2 and Diablo 3 on it.
I was just at that store and did not see 15Z on display. Asked associate to check inventory for Dell and they don't show 15z as product.

There was 14z and 15r on display. When did you see it there?

Pretty sure I just bought the last one in Naperville. I called ahead and they said they had five. On my way inside I saw a guy walking out with one. I tried to buy two but they said someone had just bought 3 so I got the last one. Just a heads up. This thing is exactly what I've been looking for. Very excited.

Glad you were able to get one.

johnbegone said:   Pretty sure I just bought the last one in Naperville. I called ahead and they said they had five. On my way inside I saw a guy walking out with one. I tried to buy two but they said someone had just bought 3 so I got the last one. Just a heads up. This thing is exactly what I've been looking for. Very excited.

hmm...what time were you there? I was there at the very closing time and they got me one. There were 4 left at the time I was checking out. They took a while to find one though.

ETA: Finally got time to open the box up and get it running. Screen resolution is 1920x1080 or Full HD. This is definitely a score!

Dell Info on Screen Resolution

I've not looked into VRAM settings. Too tired tonight. If anyone can post that info (1GB or 2GB?), that would be much appreciated.

The HDD is slow (15k raptors at home and SSD at work has spoiled me). I'll have to upgrade to an SSD or atleast a faster RPM drive.

I was there right before I posted that from my phone. Probably 7:30ish. The guy looked and found one, but maybe he had more in the back that he just didn't know about. Glad you got one too since you were the OP. Thanks again for posting. Sad to see everyone call BS on you at first. I'm using the laptop now. The HD screen is crazy. I've been fidgeting with the DPI to make it a little easier to read, but I think I'll like it. Only drawback so far is the weird keyboard. Feels a little cheap and the font on these keys is super stupid. I'll get used to it though. Looking forward to doing some video work on this thing as my old desktop was on its last legs.

Very nice deal with the 1080p screen. Don't worry too much if the video ram is only 1gb, it is plenty for the grade of card it is. 2gb version is mostly a gimmick, by the time you need that 2gb the app is a little too demanding for that card. Dell does the same thing on cards a few grades higher even and those only see maybe a 5% boost going over 1gb vram option.

Got one at my local Costco (Eden Prairie, MN) and they were having 4 more in stock.

futurer said:   AnandBanned said:   I looked at one in the Dunwoody, GA store, it was nice. My brother picked one up in SoCAL, not sure which store. He is currently playing Bioshock 2 and Diablo 3 on it.
I was just at that store and did not see 15Z on display. Asked associate to check inventory for Dell and they don't show 15z as product.

There was 14z and 15r on display. When did you see it there?

15r

Bought one at the Bolingbrook location on the 14th

Klingsor said:   You got green from me, I wasn't whining. I think it was Douchey McDougle doing all the whining.

I checked my local Costco in SLC today, no go. It was the 15r for this price. I'd buy a replacement for mine if I were in your city. If anyone's feeling particularly kind, I'd pay for shipping, tax, etc...

Again, thanks OP.

Thanks for saving me a trip!

bargainron said:   WOW, Anyone know if this is in Texas also????

That is a deal no matter how you try and twist it!!!! Your talking about an almost $1400 laptop!!! Run do not walk if you can find this deal!!! Help, I need this deal in Dallas area!!

I couldn't find EITHER one in the Houston/Willowbrook store! Not even a demo model of the 15R! I don't think they even carry them at this Costco.

Good luck to anyone lucky enough to get the 15z

coolbreeze said:   

No worries. That was the one at 2100 South. Sandy sometimes has these smoking Costco deals. I'll be in the area Thursday and will post if they're there.

Klingsor said:   coolbreeze said:   

No worries. That was the one at 2100 South. Sandy sometimes has these smoking Costco deals. I'll be in the area Thursday and will post if they're there.

Just got back from Sandy lol. No sign of it anywhere. Save your gas.

freddie4x4 said:   bargainron said:   WOW, Anyone know if this is in Texas also????

That is a deal no matter how you try and twist it!!!! Your talking about an almost $1400 laptop!!! Run do not walk if you can find this deal!!! Help, I need this deal in Dallas area!!

I couldn't find EITHER one in the Houston/Willowbrook store! Not even a demo model of the 15R! I don't think they even carry them at this Costco.

You need to ask for it. The Costcos that did not get the 15r are stocking the 15z. They are in the back and the employees do not know about it. Ask to see one from the back before purchasing.

bargainron said:   freddie4x4 said:   bargainron said:   WOW, Anyone know if this is in Texas also????

You need to ask for it. The Costcos that did not get the 15r are stocking the 15z. They are in the back and the employees do not know about it. Ask to see one from the back before purchasing.

I will try this --- I don't even see the 15r out there.. or a sign. I'll try.. This is a huge YMMV, as everyone has stated. but its a GOOD YMMV if you can score it

Has this been confirmed to have a 1080p screen? The C0stco description says 720p. I am a resolution junkie and can only live with high res screens. None of this 1366x768 stretched all over a 15" panel business. It's horrible.

coolbreeze said:   Has this been confirmed to have a 1080p screen? The C0stco description says 720p. I am a resolution junkie and can only live with high res screens. None of this 1366x768 stretched all over a 15" panel business. It's horrible.

See my post earlier. It is indeed 1080p and 1920x1080. The screen is beautiful.

Picked up three last night just before closing. Not sure what to do with them. Checked out the unit on display before buying. Great looking computer, beautiful 1080p screen. Didn't look like the keyboard was backlit. Also, it seems there's no bluetooth. All in all, this is a good deal, probably $200 off it's price. Would've been a stupendous deal if the processor were Quad Core and Ivy Bridge.

brahmachari99 said:   Picked up three last night just before closing. Not sure what to do with them. Checked out the unit on display before buying. Great looking computer, beautiful 1080p screen. Didn't look like the keyboard was backlit. Also, it seems there's no bluetooth. All in all, this is a good deal, probably $200 off it's price. Would've been a stupendous deal if the processor were Quad Core and Ivy Bridge.

Which store? Are they the 15r or 15z?

brahmachari99 said:   Picked up three last night just before closing. Not sure what to do with them. Checked out the unit on display before buying. Great looking computer, beautiful 1080p screen. Didn't look like the keyboard was backlit. Also, it seems there's no bluetooth. All in all, this is a good deal, probably $200 off it's price. Would've been a stupendous deal if the processor were Quad Core and Ivy Bridge.

Keyboard is backlit. Yours might be turned off...use Fn key to turn it on.

Bluetooth: Yes, it has BT3.0 onboard. Not sure what the use is of BT on any laptops other than to connect headsets...but this isnt good for gaming OOTB because of the 5400rpm HDD.

For anyone still interested - Naperville IL store seems to have restocked. It showed up with 8 in stock today!

It has 2 GB VDRAM - I checked in store using the display. The screen is definitely 1080p and GORGEOUS.

It's a quad core CPU. The spec sheet has I7-qxxxm listed.

I bought one last night - they were flying out of the store. Will post exact specs when I actually turn it on.

docstew said:   It has 2 GB VDRAM - I checked in store using the display. The screen is definitely 1080p and GORGEOUS.

It's a quad core CPU. The spec sheet has I7-qxxxm listed.

I bought one last night - they were flying out of the store. Will post exact specs when I actually turn it on.

Are you sure about the quad-core? I thought the processor was i7-2640M not QM.

TheWalL said:   brahmachari99 said:   Picked up three last night just before closing. Not sure what to do with them. Checked out the unit on display before buying. Great looking computer, beautiful 1080p screen. Didn't look like the keyboard was backlit. Also, it seems there's no bluetooth. All in all, this is a good deal, probably $200 off it's price. Would've been a stupendous deal if the processor were Quad Core and Ivy Bridge.

Keyboard is backlit. Yours might be turned off...use Fn key to turn it on.

Bluetooth: Yes, it has BT3.0 onboard. Not sure what the use is of BT on any laptops other than to connect headsets...but this isnt good for gaming OOTB because of the 5400rpm HDD.

For anyone still interested - Naperville IL store seems to have restocked. It showed up with 8 in stock today!

Thanks for checking that. Backlit keyboard and bluetooth are big pluses for me.

brahmachari99 said:   
Are you sure about the quad-core? I thought the processor was i7-2640M not QM.

I swear it said i7-qxxx on the spec sheet, but I could be wrong. I will look at it tonight and post back.

Still, hell of a steal for this kind of a computer. It's an aluminum chassis and super thin - love it! (never thought I'd say that about a Dell!)

According to my bios, it is i7-2640M.

if it is 1080p screen, then this will be a hot deal.

Is there a way to check inventory/pricing online for Costco?

wildhorseman said:   Is there a way to check inventory/pricing online for Costco?
Just call them and give them the item number from the photo on the first page.

Did so and it took 2 minutes. Not in my local area though.

I love how people avoid human interaction at all costs these days. Just pick up the phone. Done.

lovecd said:   if it is 1080p screen, then this will be a hot deal.
It does.

lovecd said:   if it is 1080p screen, then this will be a hot deal.

It does, 100% for sure.

coolbreeze said:   wildhorseman said:   Is there a way to check inventory/pricing online for Costco?
Just call them and give them the item number from the photo on the first page.

Did so and it took 2 minutes. Not in my local area though.

I love how people avoid human interaction at all costs these days. Just pick up the phone. Done.

I think most FW'ers are reticent to pick up the phone because they don't want to start an employee purchase outbreak. I don't know if it's as common at Costco as it is at a place like Staples. But imagine if every employee at your Costco heard that there is a smoking deal at their Costco that isn't available nationwide. If a quarter of them bought one, they'd deplete the stock. Imagine if some of those employees are Ebayers. This is an unusually good price on these specs.

By the way, I'm not entirely convinced of this position, just playing devil's advocate.

And again. If anyone buys one of these and changes their mind, I'd gladly take it off your hands. I've got a 15z with lesser specs, and this screen, CPU and 2gb graphics card are a sweet combo. Slap an SSD in this and it'll smoke.

READ THIS: If you do a RAM or HD upgrade, do yourself a favor and watch this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lay2LlH6sI It's easy to break this laptop while disassembling it.

I just tried calling my local Costco and they are out of stock. They looked up the item number and they said they have 14 on order, and would not substitute any other machine.

I just got one at the St. Peters, MO (suburb of St. Louis) store. They had two left. Thanks and green for OP!

Anyone check the dallas area stores?

Not at Gaithersburg, MD - said no store in Northeast has it

Good to know sheriff thanks.

Klingsor said:   
That said, it would be nice to see a pic of the sign or display laptop, or both.

I have the 15z, been using it for a year now. Best laptop I've ever had. Great speakers, solid vid card (I've played Diablo 3, various modern FPS's, Mass Effect 3, etc. on it - and they all ran fine. I have and i5, not the i7. I also have the 1gb vid card, not the 2gb card that is mentioned in the OP's description). Good battery life, about 6-7 hours on battery saver mode, or 1.5 hours of intense gaming. It's very thin, and noticeably light for a 15 notebook. The laptop is easy to pack/unpack for airport security. It's sturdily constructed. I'm on a plane 20 days a month, so it's important to me that my laptop travel well. And once you swap out the HD for an SSD, you'll have a smoking-fast beautiful capable beast.

If you can get it with these specs, at this price, don't hesitate.

sweet, good to hear, I just got the refurbed 15z from Dell deal here http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/1200189/ and it shipped out yesterday with 35% off coupon. I don't know why it didn't get more green, about the best deal around.

I also saw this costco deal replicated at the SD site but even harder to get then the Dell outlet deal, which has now expired. I think it was a error, they switched the coupon around midnight excluding the XPS 15z.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014