VM Optimus V $59.99 Radio Shack B&M

Archived From: Hot Deals
  • Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Was in Radio Shack today and saw the Virgin Mobile Optimus V on clearance for 59.99

Not a bad deal. VM is $35 month for 2.5 gig wireless, unlimited text, and 300 minutes talk.

You can buy the $35 card at Target and if you have the red card you get 5% off.

If you want an android phone for super cheap here is the best bet.

Member Summary

VM Optimus V $59.99 B&M
Thanks Valtron9000
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
scottsd: did you try Zdbox or app2sd? They helped a lot. I have together 69 apps... and still have 54 Mb left.

bun

bunanson (Jul. 17, 2012 @ 10:20a) |

bunanson (Jul. 17, 2012 @ 10:27a) |

I use the aCCleaner Free app.

I have 99 apps installed on my stock Optimus V, including some hogs like Amazon Appstore (7... (more)

Buckmann (Jul. 19, 2012 @ 4:42p) |

Radio Shack SKU 170-6195. Sale price valid 6/10/12 - 7/28/12.
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

The optimus v is going discontinued with RadioShack. The Samsung Intercept is going to be $49.99. The LG 101 was also a $0.01 yesterday!

ryan444123 said:   The optimus v is going discontinued with RadioShack. The Samsung Intercept is going to be $49.99. The LG 101 was also a $0.01 yesterday!

RE:
The LG 101 was also a $0.01 yesterday!

OTD and no contract?

ryan444123 said:   The optimus v is going discontinued with RadioShack. The Samsung Intercept is going to be $49.99.

You saw this price on the Intercept?

Had my Optimus V for a year and a half now. Works well as a phone, ableit the internal memory is a bit limited (and yes you can install apps to SD, but there is a limit) Runs Netflix fairly well, and with the grandfathered $25 plan, I may pick one up just to have a back up in case this one dies.

Any way to get a 10 off 40 RS coupon?

Jahx said:   Had my Optimus V for a year and a half now. Works well as a phone, ableit the internal memory is a bit limited (and yes you can install apps to SD, but there is a limit) Runs Netflix fairly well, and with the grandfathered $25 plan, I may pick one up just to have a back up in case this one dies.

Agree with you on all your points. I have an Optimus V on an old $25 plan and use it as a backup to my main T-Mobile phone. Reception is top notch, GPS is insanely quick to lock on, Netflix works, and it's very reliable. It's also got a cult following for modding the phone. It is most definitely long in the tooth and its 3.2" screen is small, but it's a good phone in its own right.

VM was great earlier but now their internet speed sucks. I am not a heavy user, but sometimes when i want to use internet urgently to check some prices or something else, the pages don't open fast enough. I am thinking of paying some more and switch to Straight Talk.

Will this work with Straight Talk?

ryan444123 said:   The optimus v is going discontinued with RadioShack. The Samsung Intercept is going to be $49.99. The LG 101 was also a $0.01 yesterday!The Intercept's ratings are much lower than OP's phone.

aarzi said:   Will this work with Straight Talk?

No. VM uses CDMA phones as does Verizon. Straight Talk uses GSM/SIM phones - AT&T or T-Mobile.

Buckmann said:   Any way to get a 10 off 40 RS coupon?

Yes, signup for their email notices on their website.

aarzi said:   ryan444123 said:   The optimus v is going discontinued with RadioShack. The Samsung Intercept is going to be $49.99. The LG 101 was also a $0.01 yesterday!The Intercept's ratings are much lower than OP's phone.

I had an Intercept, DO NOT waste your money on it. The Optimus phones are much better.

Any item number and link for local inventory check?

Jahx said:   Had my Optimus V for a year and a half now. Works well as a phone, ableit the internal memory is a bit limited (and yes you can install apps to SD, but there is a limit) Runs Netflix fairly well, and with the grandfathered $25 plan, I may pick one up just to have a back up in case this one dies.

Change your phone, ANY PHONE, lose your $25 grandfathered status. Went round and round on the phone with customer service, they even checked their supervisor. Maybe I had a bad rep with bad info.
I know with certainty this is the case with some newer phones. But they told me ANY PHONE SWAP. Went over a scenario where I said what if my current phone died? They said then any new phone will now be $35/mo not $25/mo anymore.

Bhagwan said:   Jahx said:   Had my Optimus V for a year and a half now. Works well as a phone, ableit the internal memory is a bit limited (and yes you can install apps to SD, but there is a limit) Runs Netflix fairly well, and with the grandfathered $25 plan, I may pick one up just to have a back up in case this one dies.

Change your phone, ANY PHONE, lose your $25 grandfathered status. Went round and round on the phone with customer service, they even checked their supervisor. Maybe I had a bad rep with bad info.
I know with certainty this is the case with some newer phones. But they told me ANY PHONE SWAP. Went over a scenario where I said what if my current phone died? They said then any new phone will now be $35/mo not $25/mo anymore.

HOFO thread regarding this issue: http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php/1767368-phone-swap-tr...

What about pageplus? Any idea?

ahdai said:   What about pageplus? Any idea?
You can only use verizon post-paid with pageplus

Bhagwan said:   Jahx said:   Had my Optimus V for a year and a half now. Works well as a phone, ableit the internal memory is a bit limited (and yes you can install apps to SD, but there is a limit) Runs Netflix fairly well, and with the grandfathered $25 plan, I may pick one up just to have a back up in case this one dies.

I just swapped out a phone to this one on VM's web site, everything went smoothly, and it still has me listed on the $25 plan.

aarzi said:   Will this work with Straight Talk?

No.

dhiru2000 said:   VM was great earlier but now their internet speed sucks. I am not a heavy user, but sometimes when i want to use internet urgently to check some prices or something else, the pages don't open fast enough. I am thinking of paying some more and switch to Straight Talk.

I had the same problem and made switch to ST. Much more satisfied with data speeds, though at times it can be slow (but never slower than what I was getting with VM and Optimus V)

dpid said:   dhiru2000 said:   VM was great earlier but now their internet speed sucks. I am not a heavy user, but sometimes when i want to use internet urgently to check some prices or something else, the pages don't open fast enough. I am thinking of paying some more and switch to Straight Talk.

I had the same problem and made switch to ST. Much more satisfied with data speeds, though at times it can be slow (but never slower than what I was getting with VM and Optimus V)

That is funny. I'm actually thinking about dumping Straight Talk to get this one. I get 250 Kbps download and 400 Kbps upload on my Samsung Galaxy Precedent if I'm very lucky. Usually it it 1/2 of that...

77Rus said:   dpid said:   dhiru2000 said:   VM was great earlier but now their internet speed sucks. I am not a heavy user, but sometimes when i want to use internet urgently to check some prices or something else, the pages don't open fast enough. I am thinking of paying some more and switch to Straight Talk.

That is funny. I'm actually thinking about dumping Straight Talk to get this one. I get 250 Kbps download and 400 Kbps upload on my Samsung Galaxy Precedent if I'm very lucky. Usually it it 1/2 of that...
And the Precedent on Straight Talk/Net10 uses Sprint, which is the same as VM. At least to most it is.

In for one, OP -- my contract with Sprint is ending in a couple of days, they were spectacular to me for many years but this last year in particular they just have gone nuts, no cust svc at all for me and I'm gonna bail. I've wanted to try a "smarter" phone anyways (I know this one isn't smart compared to what you all are using but from what I'm leaving -- wow).

It'll be great to have phone, camera, mp3 player all in one, browser to boot.

I've been giving Sprint 35 bucks a month anyways (free after seven pm and lots more minutes, true, but I mostly don't use them anyways, plus with google talk I'll be able to do a lot of phone calls using my wi-fi hot-spot. Or that's the plan, anyways -- we'll see.)

One store I stopped in was sold out, the next one had one left and I got it, they're holding it for me until tomorrow, wanted to make double-dog sure it'd work with google voice and it appears that it does, given what I've seen on youtube vids.

Thx OP -- green.

mathfaster said:   Buckmann said:   Any way to get a 10 off 40 RS coupon?

Yes, signup for their email notices on their website.
Signed up while ago but nothing thus far, fingers crossed, ten bucks -- hey, I like ten bucks. Wish me luck...

Not true for my sons phone. Started with rumor touch, swapped to Optimus V, dunked his V in pool twice in two weeks then died after a couple more weeks, just bought this V yesterday and it's still on the $25 plan.

Can this phone be used without activation? Want a new mp3 player and this would be far more capable than any 50 dollar mp3.

calvin888 said:   Any item number and link for local inventory check?

I'd like to know this as well

tocthecat said:   Can this phone be used without activation? Want a new mp3 player and this would be far more capable than any 50 dollar mp3.
You can use it as an MP3 player without activating, but my experience with that feature hasn't been that great. The speaker is tinny and not very loud. Headphones work well with sufficient loudness, but connecting the headset jack to external devices yields low volume output. The stock music player app is spartan. Look at the Google Play store for alternative apps. I use Windows Explorer to maintain the music folder on the SD card.

And, of course, you can use it (unactivated) on WiFi to listen to streaming music (Pandora, Slacker, etc.) or to stream/download podcasts.

Looked all over Raleigh NC-none to be found
If anyone runs across one and wants to help a FWer out, PM me please

Radio Shack Optimus V shelf tag
Disclaimer
<< Shelf tag. (BTW, 10 off 40 coupon for email signup was accepted, dropping price to 49.99.) Probably picked up one of the last ones in SW Jersey. Possibly one left in New Castle, DE.

Update: The register receipt had a 5 off 15 coupon at the bottom. Today I got a RS thank you note in the mail with a $5 gift card attached. So now my net cost for the phone is $39.99! Woo-hoo!

tocthecat said:   Can this phone be used without activation? Want a new mp3 player and this would be far more capable than any 50 dollar mp3.

Yes, will work fine without activation. Full access to Android market. All works well over wifi including google music.

Jahx said:   the internal memory is a bit limited (and yes you can install apps to SD, but there is a limit)
I have an Optimus T. There is very little internal memory, but you can still install a lot of apps by moving applications, dalvik Cache, and downloads Cache to the SD card. You could install a limitless number of apps if you also moved application data to the SD card, but I'm not sure how that affects performance (I've never tried it).

The cellphone looks good. Thank you.

For phones with limited internal memory, use Link2SD.

arribasn said:   ahdai said:   What about pageplus? Any idea?
You can only use verizon post-paid with pageplus

Can I get an older contract Verizon Android to work with Pageplus?

If you use Groove ip and google voice with the $35 plan you get unlimited minutes by making calls over the data's 3G/4G connection, you can't go wrong.

acrotlj said:   If you use Groove ip and google voice with the $35 plan you get unlimited minutes by making calls over the data's 3G/4G connection, you can't go wrong.
That's what we'll be doing

Thanks OP, found 5 in Goldsboro NC, they claim they are shipping two back to the Raleigh store so we can pick-up
10 off email coupon arrived a couple days ago

acrotlj said:   If you use Groove ip and google voice with the $35 plan you get unlimited minutes by making calls over the data's 3G/4G connection, you can't go wrong.

I've never been able to have a phone conversation with GrooveIP. Far too much echo and distortion, despite being on a fast wi-fi and playing with the settings. Waste of money for me.

About Google Voice, I have it on my Optimus V, but I don't understand how you can use it to get free talk minutes. Please explain. TIA.

Skipping 12 Messages...
bunanson said:   scottsd: did you try Zdbox or app2sd? They helped a lot. I have together 69 apps... and still have 54 Mb left.
bun

I use the aCCleaner Free app.

I have 99 apps installed on my stock Optimus V, including some hogs like Amazon Appstore (7.5MB), Documents to Go (5.6MB), Maps (12.3MB), Slacker (5.8MB) and Staples (5.5MB). After moving as many apps to the SD card as possible, I have about 28MB of system memory left. Is it true that the system needs at least 16MB free to run properly?

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014