VM Optimus V $59.99 Radio Shack B&M

Archived From: Hot Deals
  • Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
whuzizname said:   acrotlj said:   If you use Groove ip and google voice with the $35 plan you get unlimited minutes by making calls over the data's 3G/4G connection, you can't go wrong.

I've never been able to have a phone conversation with GrooveIP. Far too much echo and distortion, despite being on a fast wi-fi and playing with the settings. Waste of money for me.

About Google Voice, I have it on my Optimus V, but I don't understand how you can use it to get free talk minutes. Please explain. TIA.

The "Vonage App" is still free and works much better than GroveIP

radiobufff said:   whuzizname said:   acrotlj said:   If you use Groove ip and google voice with the $35 plan you get unlimited minutes by making calls over the data's 3G/4G connection, you can't go wrong.

I've never been able to have a phone conversation with GrooveIP. Far too much echo and distortion, despite being on a fast wi-fi and playing with the settings. Waste of money for me.

About Google Voice, I have it on my Optimus V, but I don't understand how you can use it to get free talk minutes. Please explain. TIA.

Thanks, but Vonage (and similar apps, like Viber) require all parties to be running the same application. The beauty behind GrooveIP in theory is that you can call anyone and it doesn't require them to be running GrooveIP. Unfortunately, GrooveIP is a complete fail for me due to unusable voice quality.

whuzizname said:   About Google Voice, I have it on my Optimus V, but I don't understand how you can use it to get free talk minutes. Please explain. TIA.
They weren't talking about the Google Voice app. They were talking about using GrooVe IP (or a similar app) on their data plans to avoid using their plan minutes. I use GrooVe IP on Wi-Fi to avoid using prepaid minutes.

I have no major problems using GrooVe IP over Wi-Fi with my Optimus T. There is a noticeable delay, but voice quality is otherwise satisfactory. FWIW, I'm running Cyanogenmod 7.2 with the CPU overclocked to 729 MHz. The echo cancellation settings need to be disabled on my phone.

whuzizname said:   radiobufff said:   

Thanks, but Vonage (and similar apps, like Viber) require all parties to be running the same application. The beauty behind GrooveIP in theory is that you can call anyone and it doesn't require them to be running GrooveIP. Unfortunately, GrooveIP is a complete fail for me due to unusable voice quality.

^^^^^^^This is incorrect, you can make up to 3000 minutes of outgoing calls to any number with the Vonage App, Incoming calls, you are correct, both parties must be running the app for free incoming.

Jahx said:   Had my Optimus V for a year and a half now. Works well as a phone, ableit the internal memory is a bit limited (and yes you can install apps to SD, but there is a limit) Runs Netflix fairly well, and with the grandfathered $25 plan, I may pick one up just to have a back up in case this one dies.

Agree about memory limits -- despite an 8 GB micro-SD card, I was often running out of memory. I countered this by uninstalling apps I no longer used. I am on the grandfathered $25/mo plan, so it's not a bad deal. But I've started to look for a replacement among non-contract Android phones, in which case I'll probably look to get rid of this VM cell.

scottsd said:   Agree about memory limits -- despite an 8 GB micro-SD card, I was often running out of memory. I countered this by uninstalling apps I no longer used.
As I mentioned earlier, you can move more than just applications to an ext partition. My Optimus T's dalvik c.ache is currently 109 MB, which is more than I would be able to fit on the system memory. I'm using 887 MB in my ext partition, and I still have 30% free in system memory. You can further reduce system memory by uninstalling apps that have a high amount of application data or by moving app data to the SD card (which might cause problems). I have approximately 150 apps installed, and I have not moved application data to the SD card. I could probably have over 200 apps installed before system memory becomes a problem, even with app data kept on internal memory.

I cant seem to get Netflix to open on mine. Anyone have any tips?

MechanicalMan said:   scottsd said:   Agree about memory limits -- despite an 8 GB micro-SD card, I was often running out of memory. I countered this by uninstalling apps I no longer used.
As I mentioned earlier, you can move more than just applications to an ext partition. My Optimus T's dalvik c.ache is currently 109 MB, which is more than I would be able to fit on the system memory. I'm using 887 MB in my ext partition, and I still have 30% free in system memory. You can further reduce system memory by uninstalling apps that have a high amount of application data or by moving app data to the SD card (which might cause problems). I have approximately 150 apps installed, and I have not moved application data to the SD card. I could probably have over 200 apps installed before system memory becomes a problem, even with app data kept on internal memory.

In order to do this, one must have root access on the phone, correct?
I'm on Republic Wireless and rooting my optimus V is likely not do-able

WindWalker said:   I'm on Republic Wireless and rooting my optimus V is likely not do-able
I've never heard of Republic Wireless. I checked their forums, and it seems that their phones are already rooted when shipped to customers.

scottsd: did you try Zdbox or app2sd? They helped a lot. I have together 69 apps... and still have 54 Mb left.

bun

MechanicalMan said:   whuzizname said:   ... FWIW, I'm running Cyanogenmod 7.2 with the CPU overclocked to 729 MHz. The echo cancellation settings need to be disabled on my phone. Would you please jot down a few line how to install CMW 7.2? I am late to the party and they have so much choice and I do not know which is save. My bottom line, I needs to tether/hotspot.

TIA,

bun

bunanson said:   scottsd: did you try Zdbox or app2sd? They helped a lot. I have together 69 apps... and still have 54 Mb left.
bun

I use the aCCleaner Free app.

I have 99 apps installed on my stock Optimus V, including some hogs like Amazon Appstore (7.5MB), Documents to Go (5.6MB), Maps (12.3MB), Slacker (5.8MB) and Staples (5.5MB). After moving as many apps to the SD card as possible, I have about 28MB of system memory left. Is it true that the system needs at least 16MB free to run properly?

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014

It's time for an upgrade!

After a decade on our current platform, we're upgrading our plumbing. The site will be down for a few hours starting at 10PM CST tonight.

At FatWallet we strive to bring you the best coupons, deals and Cash Back. So please come back and check us out.