• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
EDIT 10/7: back to $219 today.

EDIT 7/8/12: In case you missed it---the price was $219 for about 24 hours, now is back to $249. Congrats to everyone who got in on this very hot deal while it lasted.

Available in black or silver finish. Phenomenal pocket megazoom camera, great reviews: Link

EDIT 10:50 AM EST/July 7th----YIKES----the black model just hit $219! Can't believe this will last, knowing Amazon.

If you ordered one at $249 and it hasn't shipped yet, there's a decent chance Amazon will adjust the price if you contact them

Amazon
Get Up to 6.0% Cash Back in the Following Departments:
Member Summary

Panasonic DMC-ZS20
Thanks Logician1313
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
nice,thank you OP

woodTer (Sep. 09, 2012 @ 11:03p) |

After a few months of hovering in the $220-$240 range, the ZS20 is back to $219 at Amazon today.

ktg (Oct. 07, 2012 @ 10:01a) |

This is amazing for this camera, and the twin 19 without GPS: from preview reviews:

Extra optical zoom: while this isn't ... (more)

evbe (Oct. 07, 2012 @ 2:00p) |

Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

The "NEW LOW" price is only ~$4.00 cheaper than a (large) third party seller. The generic 4 GB card adds little to no value given the low everyday price on these.

click pic to enlarge
Disclaimer
respdoc said:   The "NEW LOW" price is only ~$4.00 cheaper than a (large) third party seller. The generic 4 GB card adds little to no value given the low everyday price on these.

If you have seen a better deal, then post it.

Next cheapest seller I see is TigerDirect. Factoring in the shipping, they're $6 more expensive. Can't speak for everyone, but I would much rather buy from Amazon. And I appreciate the $6 break and the free memory card.

I've been tracking the price on this camera for months. It debuted around $300. At Amazon, the lowest it has gotten prior to this was $262 about 2-3 weeks ago; then it shot back up. $249 is a significant and new price drop. See attached screen capture from that triple-camel price-tracking site. Proof enough.

The fact that the price drop is showing up at some 3rd party sellers also is certainly nothing to thread-crap about, and should be a cause for celebration for people who have been sitting on the sidelines waiting for a better price. The deal is sound. Nuf said.

ktg said:   
If you have seen a better deal, then post it.

~$5 (plus or minus) is not "hot deal" on an aging $249 camera. What it was last decade, last year, last month..is irrelevant. Same (general) in-stock price from multiple sellers...is the current markets price.

It is a hot deal for anyone who didn't want to buy the camera at $262, $269, or higher.

Aging? It's their flagship pocket cam right now, and has only been out a couple of months. Hardly obsolete. We have a ways to go before the next upgrade is out.

Again, crap elsewhere. This is a substantial pricedrop. Counts as a deal on a desireable tech item. Plenty of deals get posted because of price drops, and people appreciate them. Like, say, this camera deal.

ktg said:   It is a hot deal for anyone who didn't want to buy the camera at $262, $269, or higher.

Again, crap elsewhere. This is a pricedrop. Counts as a deal on a desireable tech item.

Since it's in-stock from both large sellers...there's no reason for anyone to spend $262, $269 or $2,600 on this camera.

Again, no one was selling this for $249 until the last two days. No one. The price drop is news, if only because the camera just came out.

ktg said:    The price drop is news, if only because the camera just came out.

The camera has been out since Jan...so just like the "NEW LOW" talk..it's just hyped up babble.

This camera's price is doing what would be expected...a gradual drop in price over time. Given the history..it will probably drop another $20 in the next few months.

ktg, what are you using to show that Amazon price history?

Looks like www.camelcamelcamel.com to to me.

Good price, and Amazon is a solid seller. And if you're Prime, it's a no-brainer. I've bought 6 generations of this camera. I never buy it the first couple months, when it comes out at ~$350 or whatever it usually is. $200-ish is the price-point that makes me dive in.

The in-camera panorama is an interesting new feature. Comparison between last gen and current gen of this camera is HERE.

I've tried the "pocketable zoom" format camera from several different manufactureres, and keep coming back to the Panasonic. It just feels right and takes reliably good photos.

Thanks OP, good sleuthing.

Holy smokes, the price at Amazon just went to $219 (black only). Unbelievable, doubt it will last. That's even significantly less than the ZS19, which is identical to the ZS20 but lacks the GPS feature.

If you ordered one at $249 and it hasn't shipped yet, there's a decent chance Amazon will adjust the price if you contact them ASAP.

In 4 1 4 $219.
Thanks.

nice, in for 1 at 219 with the 4gb card, 32gb card, and a case. great deal on what by the reviews appears to be a great camera.

$219 on Amazon today

Thanks OP.
In for one. Needed for vacation.

I won't shop at Amazon anymore since they started collecting tax for Texas.

One question...

Would you guys get this or this:

Canon Elph LinkText

I have been using Elph's for so long, and have been a big fan! Any thoughts?

flipside94 said:   One question...

Canon Elph LinkText

It really is about what you want, and what your going to use it for. The Panasonic is a very nice camera that has alot of features that the Elph doesnt have but the elph is more pocketable and you sound like you have some brand loyalty to them. I'm partial to the Panasonic because I had this camera 2-3 generations ago and loved it, I got another camera and REALLY missed the zoom when I only had a 5x zoom. this is almost an apples to oranges comparison because the panasonic is a pocket superzoom and the cannon is a point and shoot with a smaller footprint. I'd rather buy from Amazon for warranty purposes as well so you have to factor that in. Panny is the better value in my opinion.

This is hot, in for a couple.

As we move forward, please do so without arguing. Thanks.

Very tempting. I have a 12x Panny 5mp that I love now, but the size of this is very appealing.
Extra batteries on eBay for $13 shipped.

What I liked:
Good photo quality (though see below)
Packs a 20X Leica lens in a pretty compact package
"Power OIS" image stabilization, with "active" mode for movies
3-inch touchscreen LCD with 460,000 pixels, great outdoor/low light visibility
Built-in GPS with landmark database and maps
Good collection of manual controls
Intelligent Auto mode does it all for you, including scene selection, face detection, blur reduction, shadow brightening, and smart sharpening
Robust performance, especially focusing and shot-to-shot speeds
Intelligent Resolution improves sharpness
Intelligent Zoom gives you double the zoom power (though it's best saved for small prints)
New HDR feature noticeably improves contrast, doesn't require a tripod
Fast burst mode can shoot at 4.8 fps with continuous AF and 10 fps without it
Records Full HD video at 1080/60p with stereo sound and continuous autofocus using AVCHD or MPEG-4 codecs; optical zoom and image stabilizer can be used while recording
Optional underwater case

What I didn't care for:
While improved over the ZS10, photos still have too much noise, even at ISO 100
Tends to clip highlights
Strong redeye; no removal tool in playback mode
Images have yellow/brownish cast in artificial light
No RAW, manual focus, or WB bracketing support; movie mode lacks manual controls
Slow internal battery charging system
Flimsy door over memory card/battery compartment; can't access memory card while camera is on a tripod
Very little built-in memory; full manual on DVD

249 now

You sold me counterfeit, I jumped at this deal. Thanks for your insight.

Counterfit said:   flipside94 said:   One question...

Canon Elph LinkText

It really is about what you want, and what your going to use it for. The Panasonic is a very nice camera that has alot of features that the Elph doesnt have but the elph is more pocketable and you sound like you have some brand loyalty to them. I'm partial to the Panasonic because I had this camera 2-3 generations ago and loved it, I got another camera and REALLY missed the zoom when I only had a 5x zoom. this is almost an apples to oranges comparison because the panasonic is a pocket superzoom and the cannon is a point and shoot with a smaller footprint. I'd rather buy from Amazon for warranty purposes as well so you have to factor that in. Panny is the better value in my opinion.

Well I missed the deal but thanks for the post. I'll look at the bright side. there's a fair chance I wouldn't have really used the ZS20 before a 30x Panny was being sold for a good discount. I'll try to get along with my 10x until then

dang! missed the deal

For me, I am looking mainly for wide zoom and very good night photos.. can someone who owns this comment on the night photos?

Did anyone who ordered this camera get a ship notification? I ordered on Sat 7/7 at the $219 price and got a confirmation, but it still hasn't shipped. Thanks for posting this deal!

Well, I ordered one at $249 yesterday and got it today. Checking out the picture quality.

98f150 said:   I won't shop at Amazon anymore since they started collecting tax for Texas.

You can blame Texas for that, not Amazon - here's a LINK

Stranger2 said:   Well, I ordered one at $249 yesterday and got it today. Checking out the picture quality.
Hi Stranger,

Do you mind telling how you find night pics in the camera? I read the dpreview post for the camera, but I am not worried about as much details as they look for. If the photo generally looks good (less blur, bright) I will be fine.

Stranger2 said:   Well, I ordered one at $249 yesterday and got it today. Checking out the picture quality.

Excellent. Looking forward to hearing about the pictures. Naturally seconds after I whined about it not being shipped, I get the "order has shipped" email!

$262 for the black one and $249 for the silver one this morning, this afternoon they are both $249.

I've had three posts in this thread, urging people to refrain from worthless posts, get deleted. This is the most excessively moderated thread in recent memory. The mods need to quit this level of micromanaging and let adults disagree from time to time and moderate ourselves.

lousygolfer said:   $262 for the black one and $249 for the silver one this morning, this afternoon they are both $249.

I've had three posts in this thread, urging people to refrain from worthless posts, get deleted. This is the most excessively moderated thread in recent memory. The mods need to quit this level of micromanaging and let adults disagree from time to time and moderate ourselves.

Agreed, the mods have been a bit overzealous in this thread. I had 3 posts get deleted by mods, and one post was line-edited.

By the way, the camera came today. Love, love, love it. I'd do a proper review, but I think this is better handled by folks who do it for a living. So some review links are below:

Camera Labs review
DC resource review
Imaging Resource review
Photography Blog review

Dropped back to $244 at the moment. Hard to know if and when it will ever be $219 again.

how does the dmc zs15 stack up for $197. reviews appear good.

rrpzoom1 said:   how does the dmc zs15 stack up for $197. reviews appear good.
Most reviews seem to suggest that ZS15 has better Image Quality than ZS20, although not significantly better. If you don't care about GPS, Touch Screen, and smaller form factor - go for the ZS15, otherwise go for ZS20. Costco carries ZS19 which seems same as ZS20 form factor minus GPS.. but price is same as ZS20.
Had a chance to visit a local camera store this week to check out ZS20.. pretty good photos in poor light conditions, IMO. I could not see a whole lot of difference in IQ between ZS20 and Canon SX260 - atleast not significant enough.. so will be looking for a good deal to show up on either Panasonic ZS20 or Canon SX260 HS.

walletLess said:   rrpzoom1 said:   how does the dmc zs15 stack up for $197. reviews appear good.
Most reviews seem to suggest that ZS15 has better Image Quality than ZS20, although not significantly better. If you don't care about GPS, Touch Screen, and smaller form factor - go for the ZS15, otherwise go for ZS20. Costco carries ZS19 which seems same as ZS20 form factor minus GPS.. but price is same as ZS20.
Had a chance to visit a local camera store this week to check out ZS20.. pretty good photos in poor light conditions, IMO. I could not see a whole lot of difference in IQ between ZS20 and Canon SX260 - atleast not significant enough.. so will be looking for a good deal to show up on either Panasonic ZS20 or Canon SX260 HS.

For those looking for the DMC-ZS15, it just hit a new price low - $166. But I gave it it's own thread HERE

FYI...
Costco has the DMC-ZS19 (Same as this camera sans GPS) for $229 + tax.

I picked one up this weekend there..came with the memory card and case as well.

Yesterday (8/27/12) I ordered a Panny ZS20 for $209.99 with my Pentagon Federal Credit Union 7% Crutchfield discount. The discount wasn't working online after several attempts I called a sales rep and he took $20 off the sale price of $229.99. Normal discounted Penfed price would have been $213.89. FREE SHIPPING AND NO TAX (Except Virginia)

nice,thank you OP

Skipping 2 Messages...
This is amazing for this camera, and the twin 19 without GPS: from preview reviews:

Extra optical zoom: while this isn't a menu item, you can get additional zoom power by lowering the resolution of your photos; for example, dropping down to 5 Megapixel gives you 33.8X of total zoom power; this can also be combined with Intelligent Zoom, so you'd top out at a whopping 67.5X if you used both at the 5MP resolution; don't forget your tripod!

Fiddling gets it even higher, and it's still decent!

Where's a good place for an extra charging cable? It's proprietary.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014