• Go to page :
  • 1 234
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
HSN Deal: Thanks to AB2PK
Buy it from HSN for $179.99 (Plus 15% off for the first-time purchase)?
HSNLink

15% off coupon and 3% CashBack from Fatwallet
couponLink

If above code does NOT work, try following:
Try coupon code #125754 ($20 off on your first purchase of $40 or more). I got it in my Comcast bil Thanks to nightman

You also get these additional items:
- Car charger
- Case
- Android App Pack 6
- Screen protector
- Cloth
-Soft card
- Pay $45 monthly instead of $50 if you decide to go with unlimited talk, text and web monthly plan (As per the video on their website below the phone image).
and no state tax for most states...

T-Mobile Deal:
Link

Fatwallet offers $7.50 per prepaid phone ordered:
Link

Quick Notes:
1) This phone comes pre-activated and with SIM card. No need to buy sim card activation kit. I bought it, as the on-line chat representative mentioned that you have to have it but that is not the case.
2) There is NO activation fee for prepaid plans.
3) This phone can be used with "Pay as you go" plans as well.

If you bought this phone for higher price, your credit-card might give you reimbursement, see details below:
Citi credit cards: Some of their cards, both Visa and MasterCard, offer price protection. For example, the Citi Diamond Preferred Card and the Citi ThankYou Preferred Card both offer it. Citiís policy: If you buy something and see it at a lower price (in print only), you can get reimbursed for the difference up to $250. You can get the details of the program here. To talk with a representative at Citi, call 1-866-696-5673
Source: Credit.com

T-Mobile
See T-Mobile discounts that earn Up to $37.50 FatWallet Cash Back.
Member Summary

cell phone (15.11kB)
Thanks BMWLVR82
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
yup. i tried that. no good. will be going with the 1500 plan next. texts through google will still be free, and i will h... (more)

aarzi (Jul. 29, 2012 @ 2:42a) |

This phone is available on HSN again for about $180. There is 15% off coupon for first-time buyers on fatwallet. Updated... (more)

dhansookh (Aug. 25, 2012 @ 1:00p) |

I'd like to chime in on this:
1) Even LTE isn't legitimate 4G (it doesn't meet all the requirements to be legitimate 4G.... (more)

QBiceman (Aug. 25, 2012 @ 2:31p) |

To get first time user HSN $20 coupon applied call CSR!!!!
  • Also categorized in:

Can you sell the refill card? I just need the phone. If Its possible to sell the card, this may be a good deal as I am out of contract and need a new smart phone.

I have sold the card before in a similar deal. I think after eBay fees I got about 85% of face value.

for $40 more I would get the galaxy s instead.

Can you use any tmobile plan on this, such as the Pay as you go plan? I want to replace a old phone that has pay as you go, and don't need to pay for Monthly4G data....

fatxman said:   for $40 more I would get the galaxy s instead.

Exhibit II 4g has 14.4Mbps HSDPA while the Galaxy s only has 7Mbps, though if you want the Super AMOLED the Galaxy S would be the way to go. Galaxy S was a flagship, but came out a year and a half before the Exhibit II 4g, and you know how features go, with flagship becoming standard after a year or so. I had to make this decision in January, but the price point was >$100 difference for the S so I went with the EII4g and have been impressed with it. Runs everything snappily and does what I need, really solid mid-capability phone that looks entry-level.

Yes, you can.

Am I missing something? I don't see any mention of this being the Exhibit TWO - is it just a given? or "known" that this is the 2? or is this link not going to the right phone?
n/m i'm an idiot.
when you click on the SPECS link, it mentions the II

now....the galaxy S only has 512MB internal -
the exhibit 2 shows it has 4GB and 512MB of RAM - i would DEFINITELY get the EII - i have filled up my evo and my epic on many occassions and it gets irritating having to uninstall apps to do updates!!!!

Samsung has renamed this phone to "Samsung Galaxy Exhibit II" and updated GB to 2.3.6.
This phone is fantastic IF you root it. The stock bloatware will slow the phone down after a few days of use.

The good thing is that this phone has good developer community support. If you're fairly technical, rooting this phone is as easy as downloading a zip file and doing a "hard reset" to go into the stock recovery and flash it. It takes one minute and you will be free to get rid of those darn previously unremovable crap off of YOUR phone!

Google "XDA Exhibit II wiki" should get you the information to start.

dpid said:   Can you use any tmobile plan on this, such as the Pay as you go plan? I want to replace a old phone that has pay as you go, and don't need to pay for Monthly4G data....
yeah, just swap in your sim card. i'm one of the few that still doesn't have a data plan and that limits the number of cheaper phones i can get

i miss the days when fw had a buy/sell forum group. i'm looking for an older blackberry non-smart phone that people might be upgrading from.

Does 'rooting' also mean unlocked? so it can be used in other networks?
Thanks.

In for two. Thanks for the find.

Really so many Samsung cellphone here.

i fed up with my old phone, i just need a new one, maybe i can consider it

Samsung products are very good. I like their cellphone.

in for 1 ,thanks op

placed my order. thanks, op.

fleapick said:   Does 'rooting' also mean unlocked? so it can be used in other networks?
Thanks.

Yes, you will loose support from both T-Mobile and Samsung.

fleapick said:   Does 'rooting' also mean unlocked? so it can be used in other networks?
Thanks.

No. Rooting means that you have "Root" access to the phone and you will be able to do following:
1) Un-install some of the preloaded stuff from T-Mobile.
2) Install "Android Ice-cream Sandwich" OS on it.

Cons:
You will loose support from both T-Mobile and Samsung.

You can watch following video for more details:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vM_t7gb-9uA

zoe9576 said:   Really so many Samsung cellphone here.

Yes, that is true. But, this one is the only phone with such a low price and really good reviews. See below:
reviewsOnAmazon

Good thread guys. How is the data speed in these Samsung Exhibit II on the T-Mobile network? I realize they are not the fastest HSDPA out there but does it matter with T-Mobile?

Is this "real" 4G or just HSPDA+ or whatever that's called...

royOsolo said:   Is this "real" 4G or just HSPDA+ or whatever that's called...

Yes, it is real 4G (HSPA+). It is little bit slower than 4G LTE.

Can this be unlocked to use overseas?

ShoppingRite said:   Can this be unlocked to use overseas?

This is Quad-band phone, that said, you can use it overseas. But, you might have to check with T-Mobile to unlock this phone. That should not be an issue, I believe, as this is a prepaid phone (non-contract).

Frequencies and Data Type:
GSM Quadband; 850/900/1800/1900MHz
UMTS Tri-band:1700/1200, 1900,850MHz
Data Speed: GPRS/EDGE

Full Details:
[L=http://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/cell-phones/SGH-T679DBBTMB-features[/L]

Can this phone be used on prepaid-pay as you go plan?
thx.

If you want to unlock your phone, go ahead and do that before installing a new ROM. On my phone (Optimus T), the phone can only be unlocked with stock firmware.

ShoppingRite said:   Can this be unlocked to use overseas?
Yes, T-Mobile should give you the unlock code.

hhb said:   Can this phone be used on prepaid-pay as you go plan?
thx.

Of course.

hhb said:   Can this phone be used on prepaid-pay as you go plan?
thx.

Yes. Look at Amazon website for details.

How can I unlock this phone?

I bought this phone on CG to use with my t mobile pay as you go prepaid daily plan. The unlock requirement is the balance should be more than $10 or recharged with at least $10 in past 30 days and you have to make calls at least one day with this new phone to register the IMEI in the tmobile system and wait for 3-4 days to request unlock code.

After making calls one day with this phone, waited for 3 days and chat online with rep asking unlock code. Got the code next day and unlocked. The phone was slow with all bloatware (tombile apps) Rooted using the steps provided in XDA, and removed bloatware apps. Now the phone works like charm. It heats up when I watch videos, but lot better after removing bloatware. Before, youtube makes the phone hung. Not great phone compared to iphone 3gs (touch sensitive, responsiveness) which I have, but I like Android and this one is the best value for the money. 130$ for middle level phone with Front facing camera -- Cant beat it.

gulshanpanjwani said:   How can I unlock this phone?
Call T-Mobile and tell them you will be traveling overseas and need an unlock code for the phone. They will ask you to give them some information, like the phone's IMEI number, then they should give you the unlock code. Of course, this only applies if you are a T-Mobile customer. If you are not a T-Mobile customer, then you can probably purchase an unlock code from somewhere -- but it looks expensive for this phone. This is from T-Mobile's website:

For customers with a Prepaid Plan, T-Mobile will provide the SIM Unlock Code upon request to eligible customers, provided the requesting customer has a minimum of 60 days of active service with T-Mobile and either a Prepaid Plan account balance of at least $10.00 or a prior refill within the last 30 days.

This is my first and only smartphone. I've had it for 6 months and really fricking enjoy it. I have not tried rooting it (I'm not very technical) but it sounds like it would be beneficial because there is a lot of stuff on the phone I can't remove.

Overall, I really like the phone ... though I sometimes long for a better camera and video that would come with the Galaxy line.

edit: I bought it off Amazon and use it with a 4g value plan. Value plans don't give you phone upgrades but it is seems affordable for our family.

IamMaximus said:   Samsung has renamed this phone to "Samsung Galaxy Exhibit II" and updated GB to 2.3.6.
This phone is fantastic IF you root it. The stock bloatware will slow the phone down after a few days of use.

The good thing is that this phone has good developer community support. If you're fairly technical, rooting this phone is as easy as downloading a zip file and doing a "hard reset" to go into the stock recovery and flash it. It takes one minute and you will be free to get rid of those darn previously unremovable crap off of YOUR phone!

Google "XDA Exhibit II wiki" should get you the information to start.

if you root it, will it still get the Android 2.3.6 update?

When rooted, does the phone lose the wifi calling feature?

TIA

dhansookh said:   fleapick said:   Does 'rooting' also mean unlocked? so it can be used in other networks?
Thanks.

No. Rooting means that you have "Root" access to the phone and you will be able to do following:
1) Un-install some of the preloaded stuff from T-Mobile.
2) Install "Android Ice-cream Sandwich" OS on it.

Cons:
You will loose support from both T-Mobile and Samsung.

You can watch following video for more details:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vM_t7gb-9uA

Guys, rooting gives you root access to your phone. It does not break anything or in any way limit what the phone can do.
The only way that you would -- for example -- lose a feature like Wi-Fi calling would be if you installed a ROM that didn't support that feature. If you simply root whatever OS this thing ships with and keep that OS, then everything will remain the same after rooting, except you will have administrative privileges.

frugalpete said:   

if you root it, will it still get the Android 2.3.6 update?

I didn't bother with direct 2.3.6 update from Samsung. Most of the custom Exhibit II ROMS are already updated to 2.3.6. There's a stock 2.3.6, rooted ROM for download.

FYI: rooting means gaining administration rights, or access (just like PC) to your operating system). Apparently, manufacturers and carriers think users are idiots,(and probably some are), so they block that feature to keep hands off. Also, they like to force you to use their crap-ware on your phone and not allow you to uninstall them. >.>

Thus, rooting cancels your warranty. However, there are ways to get the phone rooted and back to stock. For this phone it's as easy as installing the 2.3.5 ROM and your phone looks like it came out of the box. XDA forum has all the info.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/wiki/Samsung_Exhibit_II_4G

I used jocala's kernal zipfile method to root this phone. This was before the 2.3.6 update came out so there was just one file and one method. The site is now more resourceful but complex to read, so if you're new to rooting, read carefully.

I'll buy the prepaid card for $40 if you want to sell it.

I will sell the prepaid card for $40 if you want to buy it...

Skipping 83 Messages...
dhansookh said:   royOsolo said:   Is this "real" 4G or just HSPDA+ or whatever that's called...

Yes, it is real 4G (HSPA+). It is little bit slower than 4G LTE.

I'd like to chime in on this:
1) Even LTE isn't legitimate 4G (it doesn't meet all the requirements to be legitimate 4G. However our government has ruled that it was close enough that it could be called 4G. HSPA networks soon followed suit and also won the right to call themselves 4G.)

2) Even at 14.4 this is smoking fast for my data needs. I have a galaxy SIII on T-Mo and regularly pull 11 down and 1.5 up. With plenty of theoretical bandwidth to spare. Keep in mind a lot of cable home connections are only 20 down. Unless you're trying to run a hotspot for several laptops you're really not going to notice the this being much slower than Verizon's LTE or AT&T's as of yet unlaunched LTE network.

I'm not 100% sure this is the greatest plan in the world, but with how much of my phone bill I can expense per month, this plan is amazing for me:

49.99 Unlimited calling in the US, Unlimited text in the US, "Unlimited data" (5 Gig HSPA+ instead of the usual 2 with consumer plans)
This is a business plan and all you need to do is have a business license (I have an LLC but a Sole Proprietorship works too) and set up a business account.

Theoretically you're supposed to sign a 2 year contract for it, but I was able to ask enough questions and waste enough time after they activated my sim card that they forgot that I never actually signed the paper contract. (They're going to have a really tough time enforcing an ETF if they can't provide your signature agreeing to it.) You can also set up everything over the phone to avoid "signing a contract." The conversation goes something like this if you ever want to cancel: "Sir you are aware that if you cancel now you are going to incur an early termination fee." "Oh really? I never agreed to that." "Uhhh yes you did sir when you signed your contract." "I never signed a contract." "Yes you did when you started the service." "I'd be delighted to pay you your obscene early termination fee if you can show me a signed contract with my signature on it." You may have to deal with a supervisor but you won't end up paying.

Granted you have to BYOD but with cheap handsets like this it makes a lot of sense. It also beats all the people who are subsidising their phone upgrades paying an extra 20 a month for 2 years, and then getting a 400 subsidy on a new phone. Would you pay someone $480 for a $400 discount?

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014