• Text Only
Voting History
rated:

Member Summary

Add family members or friends for just $5 a month per line
Thanks Valtron9000
Disclaimer
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

And if you want to remove said family member before your two years are up just fork over $200-$250.

KYBOSH said:   And if you want to remove said family member before your two years are up just fork over $200-$250.
$5x24=$120

I didn't read the T&C so I don't know what other catches there might be...

Offer expires 11/13/12; subject to change. Taxes, fees, and charges for other services additional, including Regulatory Programs Fee of $1.61 per line/mo. Not all plans or features available on all devices. At participating locations. $5 Add-A-Line Offer: $5 monthly recurring charges until 1/2/2014 for voice and messaging services on lines added to qualifying Classic family plan. As of 1/2/2014, regular monthly service pricing will apply to all added lines. New activation of an additional line to a qualifying Classic family plan required; maximum three added lines. New two-year agreement on all or some lines of family plan may be required. General Terms: Domestic only. Credit approval, $35/line activation fee, and two-year contract on qualifying plan (with up to $200/line early cancellation fee) required; deposit may apply. Family Plans: Limit five lines on family plan. All lines must be activated in same T-Mobile market with same billing address and area code. T-Mobile to T-Mobile: Calls directly dialed between T-Mobile customer devices while on the T-Mobile USA network (not roaming); calls to voicemail and other T-Mobile service numbers not included. Abnormal Usage: Service may be slowed, suspended, terminated, or restricted for misuse, abnormal use, interference with our network or ability to provide quality service to others, or significant roaming. America’s Largest 4G Network is a registered trademark of T-Mobile USA, Inc. T-Mobile and the magenta color are registered trademarks of Deutsche Telekom AG.
Appears to still require separate data plans.

Add family and friends, you must be crazy to do so....
Just watch any daytime small claims court TV show.........
That will tell you to never do such a thing..

What is the fee after Jan 2014for that extra line? You are stuck with it for another 8months. Also what does $ 10 data get you? 200MB or 2GB?

KYBOSH said:   And if you want to remove said family member before your two years are up just fork over $200-$250.

TC-ing for the sake of TC-ing. ETFs are standard for all carriers, so I don't see point in mentioning this. Or were you comparing this to the no contract add a line deals out there?

This is a $5 add a line for family plans. Reg price is $10 a month. If you are on a family plan and add a 3rd line, you essentially save $5 a month for ~17 months, then you pay the reg price of $10 for 7 more months. Pretty straight forward.

cueball said:   KYBOSH said:   And if you want to remove said family member before your two years are up just fork over $200-$250.

TC-ing for the sake of TC-ing. ETFs are standard for all carriers, so I don't see point in mentioning this. Or were you comparing this to the no contract add a line deals out there?

This is a $5 add a line for family plans. Reg price is $10 a month. If you are on a family plan and add a 3rd line, you essentially save $5 a month for ~17 months, then you pay the reg price of $10 for 7 more months. Pretty straight forward.

The issue is..
All the good stuff has big writing.
The bad extra small and not on the same line or anywhere near it....

Why would you have a contract if you don't take their free-phone? (I'm not sure with T-Mobile but with AT&T you can add a line and not have a contract on that new line if you were to bring your own phone).

I believe you can add a line without contract if you bring your own phone?

dealgain said:   Why would you have a contract if you don't take their free-phone? (I'm not sure with T-Mobile but with AT&T you can add a line and not have a contract on that new line if you were to bring your own phone).

Since this is an add-a-line feature for the Classic plan, you should be eligible for a subsidized phone. I'm not sure if T-Mobile offers an option to BYOPhone as an add-a-line without opening a 24 month contract. If ATT does indeed offer that, then that sounds like a good and flexible deal and I owe KYBOSH an apology for accusing him of TC-ing.

One thing that is not mentioned in the posted T&C is that on T-Mo Value plans, add-a-lines are free for the same period until Jan 2014, after which they revert to regular price of $5 a month. That means you can get an additional line for 17 months at no cost and just pay $5 a month for the last 7. More details here. This is all part of their Back to School promo.

cueball said:   KYBOSH said:   And if you want to remove said family member before your two years are up just fork over $200-$250.

Based on a call to T-Mobile customer service today, the cost for the extra lines after January 2, 2014 is $40/line not $10/line as I expected. This is with me opting for the Classic Unlimited plan with a total of 4 lines, 2 with smart phones, 2 with "dumb" phones with no data plan requirement. Has anyone gotten any other concrete info on the costs after January 2014 from T-Mobile?
I hope what I heard was wrong because if not, this is not such a good deal.

doowle said:   cueball said:   KYBOSH said:   And if you want to remove said family member before your two years are up just fork over $200-$250.

Based on a call to T-Mobile customer service today, the cost for the extra lines after January 2, 2014 is $40/line not $10/line as I expected. This is with me opting for the Classic Unlimited plan with a total of 4 lines, 2 with smart phones, 2 with "dumb" phones with no data plan requirement. Has anyone gotten any other concrete info on the costs after January 2014 from T-Mobile?
I hope what I heard was wrong because if not, this is not such a good deal.

Ok... I got some additional clarification. When signing up for the $5 add a line plan, you must select the 500 minutes and Unlimited text option, otherwise you will have by default signed up for the unlimited plan on the extra lines which means that when 2014 rolls around, you will be charged $30 or $40 for each line to continue the unlimited plan. At that time, moving down to the 500 minutes plan would be considered at worst a break in your agreement and at best a change in contract requiring a 2 year contract extension.

So this can still be a good deal but make sure you go in with your eyes open .

If I add this, what is the good effect?

If you have kids or an elderly relative you want to have access to a cell phone for emergencies, you can now do it for $5/month. You end up getting a lot more than you could get for prepaid phone service and end up paying less (at last in my case). The caveat is that for the last 8 months (if you buy now) of your 2 year contract you will pay $10/month.

zelty said:   If I add this, what is the good effect?

doowle said:   If you have kids or an elderly relative you want to have access to a cell phone for emergencies, you can now do it for $5/month. You end up getting a lot more than you could get for prepaid phone service and end up paying less (at last in my case). The caveat is that for the last 8 months (if you buy now) of your 2 year contract you will pay $10/month.

Some prepaids are much cheaper than $5/month.

PagePlus Cellular is $10 for 100 minutes, expires in 4 months but rollsover if you refill. Maintenance cost is $0.50 per month. Annual cost = $30. On Verizon Network

Or even on T-Mobile prepaid is cheaper than $60 per year.

Of course we are speaking about for emergency / low use here (otherwise different price structure).

I agree that for emergency only you can get it for much less. But for $5/month now, my extra phones get 500 any time minutes, free nights and weekends plus unlimited texting. It works for me...

zgenerale said:   doowle said:   If you have kids or an elderly relative you want to have access to a cell phone for emergencies, you can now do it for $5/month. You end up getting a lot more than you could get for prepaid phone service and end up paying less (at last in my case). The caveat is that for the last 8 months (if you buy now) of your 2 year contract you will pay $10/month.

Some prepaids are much cheaper than $5/month.

PagePlus Cellular is $10 for 100 minutes, expires in 4 months but rollsover if you refill. Maintenance cost is $0.50 per month. Annual cost = $30. On Verizon Network

Or even on T-Mobile prepaid is cheaper than $60 per year.

Of course we are speaking about for emergency / low use here (otherwise different price structure).

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014