• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Generally $300, but the white ones are $270 (and the red $280).

Amazon Link

Amazon
Get Up to 5.0% Cash Back in the Following Departments:
Member Summary
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:

Let me just end this discussion/"deal" right now:

http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-M50-Professional-Monito...

Sorry for the threadcrap, but as an avid headphone user (and builder) I have to say that these are really not worth the money, even if they were at half price. I have heard these, so I am not saying this just to be an audio snob. The bass is overly pronounced, they are frankly terrible when compared to many other headphones in this price range, midrange and treble is sub par, as is detail retrieval and soundstage. Even if you like the bass-heavy music genres these were intended for, you can do much better elsewhere. Look at the reviews that are rated highest on Amazon, they are not favorable for he most part.

If you're set on getting Beats, then by all means go ahead. If you want a pair of full size closed over-the-ear headphones that will provide superior technical performance for even less money, look to Audio Technica (ATH-M50, ATH-700, ATH-900, etc.) or Sennheiser (HD280, HD598, etc.) or Denon (AH-D1100, AH-D2000 if you can spend a bit more) or the inexpensive but very decent Sony MDR-V6 (currently $77.08 on Amazon). Any one of these will outperform the Beats by wide margin.

SlyDawg said:   Sorry for the threadcrap, but as an avid headphone user (and builder) I have to say that these are really not worth the money, even if they were at half price. I have heard these, so I am not saying this just to be an audio snob. The bass is overly pronounced, they are frankly terrible when compared to many other headphones in this price range, midrange and treble is sub par, as is detail retrieval and soundstage. Even if you like the bass-heavy music genres these were intended for, you can do much better elsewhere. Look at the reviews that are rated highest on Amazon, they are not favorable for he most part.

If you're set on getting Beats, then by all means go ahead. If you want a pair of full size closed over-the-ear headphones that will provide superior technical performance for even less money, look to Audio Technica (ATH-M50, ATH-700, ATH-900, etc.) or Sennheiser (HD280, HD598, etc.) or Denon (AH-D1100, AH-D2000 if you can spend a bit more) or the inexpensive but very decent Sony MDR-V6 (currently $77.08 on Amazon). Any one of these will outperform the Beats by wide margin.

Thanks for the recommendations!

Can you comment on the V-MODA Crossfade LP Over-Ear Noise-Isolating Metal Headphone? Any experience with their sound quality?
Thanks..

I have not heard the LP Crossfade. From disseminating the many reviews I've read they seem to competent in a $100ish price range for audio quality though they seem to really be made for DJs and are more ideal for electronic, beat and bass-oriented music. Consensus is that they don't sound that great with other genres, people who tried them for rock, jazz, etc. usually did not like them. For looks and build quality probably exceed many other headphones at the same price, they are gorgeous. Without having heard them I would say that they would probably be a safe buy if you like the kind of music they were made for, otherwise you might do better with something more well-rounded like the ATH-M50.

The smaller V-Moda M80 was one that I was actually interested in possibly getting, most listeners felt that it was a more balanced and improved sound than the LP and it compared very well to the highly regarded ATH-M50. But the M80 is also $200ish.

The price for looking cool is rising each year.

SlyDawg said:   Sorry for the threadcrap, but as an avid headphone user (and builder) I have to say that these are really not worth the money, even if they were at half price. I have heard these, so I am not saying this just to be an audio snob. The bass is overly pronounced, they are frankly terrible when compared to many other headphones in this price range, midrange and treble is sub par, as is detail retrieval and soundstage. Even if you like the bass-heavy music genres these were intended for, you can do much better elsewhere. Look at the reviews that are rated highest on Amazon, they are not favorable for he most part.

Mr. Big spender here and so I've taken the spending to the next level and bought myself a pair of the JVC HA-RX300. They works very well for what I need it to do (listen to npr podcast and mp3). Frys has it for a whopping $9.99 thank you very ultra cheap and inexpensive level. I also have Sennheiser HD 201's as my next set when these JVCs get old or yucky. It'll be an upgrade as I paid $15 for the HD201s. I won't look cool like the idiots paying $300ish but I won't be an idiot.
http://www.frys.com/product/6242020?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

lakrzfan said:   Generally $300, but the white ones are $270 (and the red $280).

Amazon Link

I have a feeling that I can probably beat that price at my local OM/Staples which I do remember seeing them there by waiting for a 15 or 20% off coupon. At 15 percent that's $45 off and 20 percent that's like $60 off. And these are not tech such as computers, tablets and such that are exempt from use with these coupons.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014