• Go to page :
  • 1 23
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
This app (free download) gives you 3000 minutes per month to call America, Canada and Puerto Rico using your Android or Apple phone.

These minutes are for mobile and landline phones and the people you call do NOT have to have the Vonage app installed and you do not need to be a Vonage customer.

You have to have a working cell phone to set this up (to get a call or text with a PIN code) but it does not use your cell minutes for outgoing calls.

This will also work on an iPod Touch and iPad.

If your carrier blocks downloading this app like mine (Cricket) does then go Here and download the APK to your device or SD card and click on it to install.

Works over wifi,3 and 4g data but I have only used it on wifi and voice quality is good.

Offer is for a "limited time" and I have no idea when it will end.

You do not get a number for people to call you like with Google Voice/Groove IP.

To link this to your Google Voice account and have the app show your GV number on caller ID
you need to enable call forwarding to a cell # from GV then use you GV # when you activate the app. This will get the SMS with the activation code to your cell and you enter that code to get the app up and running.


If the cell# you used to activate the app runs out of funds/service this app will still work.

The cell# you use to activate can only be used on one device. If you want the app on multiple devices (let's use 3 for the sake of argument here) you will need 3 different cell numbers. If you only have 1 like I do you might need to buy 2 more throwaway cell phones (Tracfone is what I am thinking will be cheapest) to get the other 2 devices set up with Vonage Mobile. EDIT: It might be possible to set up 2 more new Google Voice numbers and have each one forward to the same cell number to activate all 3.

There is also a "Vonage Mobile App For Facebook" and this is NOT what you want. It is completely different from the Vonage Mobile app.

LINK for the correct app that you want.

Member Summary

Vonage Mobile App (16.41kB)
Thanks VBMcGB
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
I agree with this

musicalkeyboard1 (Jul. 25, 2012 @ 1:54a) |

If you're looking to complement Vonage Mobile (free outgoing calls), try

http://www.ipkall.com/

or

http://itunes.apple.com... (more)

macosx (Jul. 25, 2012 @ 12:44p) |

Giving it a shot. Green!

adnj (Aug. 18, 2012 @ 6:21a) |

  • Also categorized in:

Is it not going to use my cell minutes?

Wow, thanks I'm downloading it now!

For those of you with limited data plans be very careful of your data usage if you are not on wifi. I bet this things a data hog.

For those of you with limited data plans be very careful of your data usage if you are not on wifi. I bet this things a data hog.

That's true. I average 1MB per minute of call

ryan007 said:   Is it not going to use my cell minutes?

The app uses data,not voice plan minutes but on 3 or 4G it WILL use you plan data.
I will only use it on wifi so no minutes or plan data will be used.

GudSpellur said:   UPDATE: Once your cellphone is linked to this app ALL calls go to the app and not the cellphone, even if the app is turned off. What I plan to do is just link/unlink (done in the settings for the app) my cell as needed.
Also you do not need to put a valid email address in when you sign up, just make a short one up.

LINK


This part about linking up to app seems confusing. I was easily able to download and setup the app to make outgoing calls from my ipod touch. Don't see anything about linking/unlinking phone number. Will using an iphone allow incoming calls to the cell phone number to use data instead of minutes? Don't see how this is achieved.

BTW, was able to download directly off the vonagemobile.com home page by tapping the Get the App Online and no email was ever needed.

No obvious way to get incoming calls. Caller ID on the receiving landline shows a number from Dallas, TX, but error tone when I tried calling back.

Is there somewhere that shoes the 3000 mins? When I look at my account it just says "0.00" credit.

yelloe1213 said:   Is there somewhere that shoes the 3000 mins? When I look at my account it just says "0.00" credit.

I don't think so.

macosx said:   GudSpellur said:   UPDATE: Once your cellphone is linked to this app ALL calls go to the app and not the cellphone, even if the app is turned off. What I plan to do is just link/unlink (done in the settings for the app) my cell as needed.
Also you do not need to put a valid email address in when you sign up, just make a short one up.

LINK


This part about linking up to app seems confusing. I was easily able to download and setup the app to make outgoing calls from my ipod touch. Don't see anything about linking/unlinking phone number. Will using an iphone allow incoming calls to the cell phone number to use data instead of minutes? Don't see how this is achieved.

BTW, was able to download directly off the vonagemobile.com home page by tapping the Get the App Online and no email was ever needed.

No obvious way to get incoming calls. Caller ID on the receiving landline shows a number from Dallas, TX, but error tone when I tried calling back.


I sideloaded the app on an unactivated new 50$ Android phone so my setup is probably going to be different from an iOS device or a working Android cell.

Also I do not know of a way for you to get incoming calls unless you can somehow link it to a cell number. You might look in settings to see if you can.

Okay, I have installed the app. How do you link the phone with the app? I went to settings and I did not see any option in order to do that.

biomedica said:   Okay, I have installed the app. How do you link the phone with the app? I went to settings and I did not see any option in order to do that.

Try to make a call with the app. I bet that on a phone with service the number is linked on install.

GudSpellur said:   biomedica said:   Okay, I have installed the app. How do you link the phone with the app? I went to settings and I did not see any option in order to do that.

Try to make a call with the app. I bet that on a phone with service the number is linked on install.


I don't get how Vonage app can take control of an incoming number that might be from Verizon, ATT, T-Mobile, etc. And even if it did, how it would avoid using any cell minutes.

I've successfully used free SIP for incoming and outgoing, but the process is quite complicated and requires a handful of steps and accounts. One of the workarounds was using Google Voice call back/online dialing for the outgoing calls. Using the Vonage app is more straightforward. I think I used the http://www.ipkall.com/ for receiving calls. I forget if they provided an incoming number or if there was yet another service for that.

I used the Vonage dialer but my regular dialer appears unchanged (not linked). Running a Galaxy S. Looks like a good program

macosx said:   GudSpellur said:   biomedica said:   Okay, I have installed the app. How do you link the phone with the app? I went to settings and I did not see any option in order to do that.

Try to make a call with the app. I bet that on a phone with service the number is linked on install.


I don't get how Vonage app can take control of an incoming number that might be from Verizon, ATT, T-Mobile, etc. And even if it did, how it would avoid using any cell minutes.

I've successfully used free SIP for incoming and outgoing, but the process is quite complicated and requires a handful of steps and accounts. One of the workarounds was using Google Voice call back/online dialing for the outgoing calls. Using the Vonage app is more straightforward. I think I used the http://www.ipkall.com/ for receiving calls. I forget if they provided an incoming number or if there was yet another service for that.


I am not sure how it works either but it does.

I have an email into them asking if once activated with a cell and that cell account runs out of funds can we stil use the app for free calls....

Vonage if facing a lot of customer defections....Because people know how to call for free (Skype, MagicJ, Google Voice, Obihai, Ooma....). Phone companies still exist because of people who don't know better.

Do they grab your address book when you install this?

It uses a form of conditional call forwarding. Once activated with your cell number, all calls to that number are routed to the app instead of to the phone.

When you set call forwarding you still use cellular minutes because the call is routed after it is delivered by your provider. Vonage is intercepting the calls before the provider delivers the call to your cell and routes it to the app.

Just like your voicemail, calls come into your number and are forwarded to another number for voicemail. voicemail doesn't happen on your phone. It is like going directly to the voicemail number before the phone rings. You don't use minutes when you don't answer a call and it is delivered to voicemail.

EDIT: So I'm with Virgin on a low minutes plan, got a Google Voice number I've been using for years, I can call out using the Virgin phone using those limited minutes and it shows up as coming from my Google Voice number. Sweet.

But I wonder if I could use these 3000 minutes through the Google Voice number somehow, to where it'd spoof my GVoice number as the number that would show up on peoples phones when I call them -- any insights?

This is only good for outgoing calls folks. But it's still a free 3000 minutes, can't pass that up.

jtroye32 said:   This is only good for outgoing calls folks. But it's still a free 3000 minutes, can't pass that up.

Not correct. Incoming calls go to the app and you use no minutes.

AusTex Deal Seeker said:   EDIT: So I'm with Virgin on a low minutes plan, got a Google Voice number I've been using for years, I can call out using the Virgin phone using those limited minutes and it shows up as coming from my Google Voice number. Sweet.

But I wonder if I could use these 3000 minutes through the Google Voice number somehow, to where it'd spoof my GVoice number as the number that would show up on peoples phones when I call them -- any insights?


How much data does your plan have and are you using an Android phone? If you have unlimited data you would just use your Virgin number with the Vonage app and always make calls on wifi or 3g.

I am not sure if GV can work here or would help you anyways.

GudSpellur said:   AusTex Deal Seeker said:   EDIT: So I'm with Virgin on a low minutes plan, got a Google Voice number I've been using for years, I can call out using the Virgin phone using those limited minutes and it shows up as coming from my Google Voice number. Sweet.

But I wonder if I could use these 3000 minutes through the Google Voice number somehow, to where it'd spoof my GVoice number as the number that would show up on peoples phones when I call them -- any insights?


How much data does your plan have and are you using an Android phone? If you have unlimited data you would just use your Virgin number with the Vonage app and always make calls on wifi or 3g.

I am not sure if GV can work here or would help you anyways.
Unlimited data Android 2.3 want to spoof the GVoice number because it's the number I've been using for fifteen years now and last thing I want is calls coming in from all over once people see another number -- I want everyone to call GVoice because then I can weed out whoever I don't want to talk to, etc and etc -- it really is powerful, it's spoiled me.

I tried to use GrooVe IP -- that was The Plan -- but when I loaded it onto the phone, I can hear people fine but the voice quality going out is terrible, unworkable.

I may end up just going to their $55 a month unlimited everything plan, it still beats everyone else that I've looked into, just had hoped to get in on the $35 using GrooVe IP

AusTex Deal Seeker said:   GudSpellur said:   AusTex Deal Seeker said:   EDIT: So I'm with Virgin on a low minutes plan, got a Google Voice number I've been using for years, I can call out using the Virgin phone using those limited minutes and it shows up as coming from my Google Voice number. Sweet.

But I wonder if I could use these 3000 minutes through the Google Voice number somehow, to where it'd spoof my GVoice number as the number that would show up on peoples phones when I call them -- any insights?


How much data does your plan have and are you using an Android phone? If you have unlimited data you would just use your Virgin number with the Vonage app and always make calls on wifi or 3g.

I am not sure if GV can work here or would help you anyways.
Unlimited data Android 2.3 want to spoof the GVoice number because it's the number I've been using for fifteen years now and last thing I want is calls coming in from all over once people see another number -- I want everyone to call GVoice because then I can weed out whoever I don't want to talk to, etc and etc -- it really is powerful, it's spoiled me.

I tried to use GrooVe IP -- that was The Plan -- but when I loaded it onto the phone, I can hear people fine but the voice quality going out is terrible, unworkable.

I may end up just going to their $55 a month unlimited everything plan, it still beats everyone else that I've looked into, just had hoped to get in on the $35 using GrooVe IP


Ahh, I understand now. I am new to Android/GV/Gip so i will not be able to help you but if you do find a solutiion please let us know.

I am not loving Groove IP here either and am on a mission similar to yours but do not care what number I use, I just want to find the cheapest calling with decent and reliable results.

GudSpellur said:   jtroye32 said:   This is only good for outgoing calls folks. But it's still a free 3000 minutes, can't pass that up.

Not correct. Incoming calls go to the app and you use no minutes.


I don't think so.. I called my cell to check and it goes straight to my normal phone app. Also the data arrows are dormant during an incoming call.. So it's definitely using my minutes

For those of us stuck on T-Mobile EDGE (my unlocked iPhone can't use their 3G frequency), what kind of data connection do you need to be able to use this with decent quality? The data speed (assuming I have reception lol) I get is between 56k dialup and twice that.

bytem3 said:   For those of us stuck on T-Mobile EDGE (my unlocked iPhone can't use their 3G frequency), what kind of data connection do you need to be able to use this with decent quality? The data speed (assuming I have reception lol) I get is between 56k dialup and twice that.

No idea but since the app is free why not try it out and let us know?

jtroye32 said:   GudSpellur said:   jtroye32 said:   This is only good for outgoing calls folks. But it's still a free 3000 minutes, can't pass that up.

Not correct. Incoming calls go to the app and you use no minutes.


I don't think so.. I called my cell to check and it goes straight to my normal phone app. Also the data arrows are dormant during an incoming call.. So it's definitely using my minutes


OK, my setup is different than yours. I have an older cell phone and used that number for the app on my new Android and when I call the old cell number it does not even ring. Only the app on the Android rings and if that app is turned off the call goes to voicemail.

Really an interesting app! Thank you for sharing here.

I didn't understand.. how you guys able to get call to app..

I installed the app, all the outgoing calls using my registered # and am able to make out calls.
But someone calls, the call is not coming to app.. its going to my registered phone only..

Did anyone faced this?

After playing with this app for 30 mins. this is what I found so far. This app works in

- App to App (calls)
- App to App (text)
- App to other #(any carrier, using included mins)


Other carriers call to app do not work. let me know if you find a way to call to app from other carriers

So this works with wifi only ipad.

bochey1314 said:   After playing with this app for a 30 mins. this is what I found so far. This app works in

- App to App (calls)
- App to App (text)
- App to other #(any carrier, using included mins)


Other carriers call to app do not work. let me know if you find a way to call to app from other carriers


I was mistaken in my OP and it has been cleaned up. INCOMING calls DO use your plan minutes unless they are coming from a user that also has this app installed.

jtroye32 said:   GudSpellur said:   jtroye32 said:   This is only good for outgoing calls folks. But it's still a free 3000 minutes, can't pass that up.

Not correct. Incoming calls go to the app and you use no minutes.


I don't think so.. I called my cell to check and it goes straight to my normal phone app. Also the data arrows are dormant during an incoming call.. So it's definitely using my minutes


I can make calls and recieve calls to land line #'s (limited to 3000mins/mos, I assume till whenever they decide to pull the plug on this). I did not install on an iphone tho. Just an ipad 2 with wifi only. This is awesome indeed.

EDIT: BTW, I used an old inactive google voice # to setup the app on the ipad that is not attached to anything but still receives calls.

AusTex Deal Seeker said:   GudSpellur said:   AusTex Deal Seeker said:   EDIT: So I'm with Virgin on a low minutes plan, got a Google Voice number I've been using for years, I can call out using the Virgin phone using those limited minutes and it shows up as coming from my Google Voice number. Sweet.

But I wonder if I could use these 3000 minutes through the Google Voice number somehow, to where it'd spoof my GVoice number as the number that would show up on peoples phones when I call them -- any insights?


How much data does your plan have and are you using an Android phone? If you have unlimited data you would just use your Virgin number with the Vonage app and always make calls on wifi or 3g.

I am not sure if GV can work here or would help you anyways.
Unlimited data Android 2.3 want to spoof the GVoice number because it's the number I've been using for fifteen years now and last thing I want is calls coming in from all over once people see another number -- I want everyone to call GVoice because then I can weed out whoever I don't want to talk to, etc and etc -- it really is powerful, it's spoiled me.

I tried to use GrooVe IP -- that was The Plan -- but when I loaded it onto the phone, I can hear people fine but the voice quality going out is terrible, unworkable.

I may end up just going to their $55 a month unlimited everything plan, it still beats everyone else that I've looked into, just had hoped to get in on the $35 using GrooVe IP


1. Setup google voice to forward calls directly to your cell.
2. Enter google voice number in Vonage app and verify via phone call.
3. You should now be able to use Vonage to make your calls free and your google voice number will show on their caller id. Pretty sure you can set up your screening stuff again after it's all set.

ymarker said:   jtroye32 said:   GudSpellur said:   jtroye32 said:   This is only good for outgoing calls folks. But it's still a free 3000 minutes, can't pass that up.

Not correct. Incoming calls go to the app and you use no minutes.


I don't think so.. I called my cell to check and it goes straight to my normal phone app. Also the data arrows are dormant during an incoming call.. So it's definitely using my minutes


I can make calls and recieve calls to land liNE #'s (limited to 3000mins/mos, I assume till whenever they decide to pull the plug on this). I did not install on an iphone tho. Just an ipad 2 with wifi only. This is awesome indeed.

EDIT: BTW, I used an old inactive google voice # to setup the app on the ipad that is not attached to anything but still receives calls.


Hmm I tried unlinking my cell from google voice still keeping the google voice number attached to Vonage and when I call the google voice number it goes straight to voice mail..not sure how Vonage intercepts your calls.

Tell me if I am correct with this assumption...

If I set this up on my ipod Touch or ipad, and I enter my cell number when I set it up so I get sent the mobile code to finish registration, the folks receiving my call thinks I'm calling from my regular iphone (or whatever cell number I entered). Caller ID seems to confirm this.

Therefore, if the person decides to call me back after hanging up, the call won't go to my ipod touch, it will go to my iphone and use my minutes.

I assume this to be the case as it doesn't assign you a new phone number.

Goofy4Deals said:   Tell me if I am correct with this assumption...

If I set this up on my ipod Touch or ipad, and I enter my cell number when I set it up so I get sent the mobile code to finish registration, the folks receiving my call thinks I'm calling from my regular iphone (or whatever cell number I entered). Caller ID seems to confirm this.

Therefore, if the person decides to call me back after hanging up, the call won't go to my ipod touch, it will go to my iphone and use my minutes.

I assume this to be the case as it doesn't assign you a new phone number.


That's right

yes.
it appears to be for outbound calls only

Skipping 43 Messages...
Giving it a shot. Green!



Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014