• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Use code MJFLASH

Link

Sunglass Hut
See Sunglass Hut discounts that earn 5.0% FatWallet Cash Back.
Member Summary

sunglasses hut (6.32kB)
Thanks BMWLVR82
Disclaimer

I guess this code is only good for that specific pair? Too bad

Those are one ugly glasses. No wonder it's on sale.

FWIW Costco usually has 3 or 4 pairs of different Maui Jims for around $80 most of the time.

LegOfAhab said:   Those are one ugly glasses. No wonder it's on sale.

it's not so bad
I read your comment prior to checking out the link, I was expected something terrible. IMHO, it depends on your style.

jiveturkey said:   FWIW Costco usually has 3 or 4 pairs of different Maui Jims for around $80 most of the time.

I really wish we had Costco here. I have two pairs of Maui Jims, and one is the cheapest one they sell (can't remember the name). They were like $160 at Sunglass Hut and the cheapest I could find them on eBay was about $110. Good deal on these BTW, not my style but they are very high quality.

Love my Maui Jims. That would be reason enough to join Costco now that they've built one locally.

I've never been impressed with the MJ offerings at Costco. I'm on my 3rd pair in the last 10 years, my 1st was stolen, and second was stepped on. I've looked at Costco for each replacement, but nothing worth it to me. Maui Jim optics are second to none, I'll never own another brand.

I would rather buy from Costco than from Sunglass Hut. Sunglass Hut is owned by Luxottica, which has a virtual monopoly on designer eyewear (they own or own the rights to: Anne Klein, Arnette, Brooks Brothers, Bulgari, Burberry, Chanel, Chaps, Coach, D&G, Dolce and Gabbana, DKNY, Donna Karan, Miu Miu, Mosley Tribes, Oakley, Oliver Peoples, Persol, Paul Smith, Polo Ralph Lauren, Prada, Ralph Lauren Purple Label, Ray-Ban, Revo, Sferoflex, Stella McCartney, Tiffany & Co, Tory Burch, Versace, Versus, and Vogue). About the only brands they don't own are Maui Jim and Serengeti. And they're generally regarded as having lowered the quality on most of the brands they've acquired (I know from personal experience that Ray-Ban had far better quality when it was made by Bausch & Lomb), and they drive competitors out of the market.

They also own LensCrafters, Pearle Opticians, Pearle Vision, Sears Optical, Target Optical, BJ's Optical, Cole Vision Care, and many more retail outlets. Wonder why your "designer" glasses cost more than a 40" plasma TV and only last a year? You have Luxottica to thank.

That said, Maui Jim, not being owned by Luxottica, makes terrific sunglasses (in Japan) with excellent construction. I would just buy them from somewhere else.

Perhaps if I dropped 3 benjamins (as opposed to $15) on a pair of sunglasses I'd be less likely to lose them.

http://www.sunglasshut.com/us/47898
$1500 for a pair of sunglasses!!

LegOfAhab said:   Those are one ugly glasses. No wonder it's on sale.
Agreed

Here are the mini wipers for these glasses..http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpXC7iXuAfA

This is as hot as arctic road kill, who'd spend even $2 on these ?

If you don't wish to buy from Sunglass Hut and don't like the styles at Costco find a local independent optomotrist or opthalmologist, they usually carry MJ's. You can always try them on at Sunglass Hut and buy directly from mauijim.com as well.

I used to always spend $15 - $20 on my glasses and would constantly lose or break them. I finally ponied up the cash about 10 years ago for my first pair, and I definitely take much better care of them. I still have the breaking and losing issue, but because I'm taking better care of them my pairs from MJ have lasted me on average 3-4 years.

I personally wouldn't spend $2 on this pair, but I would gladly drop the money on another pair of MJ's if something happens to my current pair.

Not all MJ's are made in Japan, my current pair was Made in Italy.

esoterica said:   I would rather buy from Costco than from Sunglass Hut. Sunglass Hut is owned by Luxottica, which has a virtual monopoly on designer eyewear (they own or own the rights to: Anne Klein, Arnette, Brooks Brothers, Bulgari, Burberry, Chanel, Chaps, Coach, D&G, Dolce and Gabbana, DKNY, Donna Karan, Miu Miu, Mosley Tribes, Oakley, Oliver Peoples, Persol, Paul Smith, Polo Ralph Lauren, Prada, Ralph Lauren Purple Label, Ray-Ban, Revo, Sferoflex, Stella McCartney, Tiffany & Co, Tory Burch, Versace, Versus, and Vogue). About the only brands they don't own are Maui Jim and Serengeti. And they're generally regarded as having lowered the quality on most of the brands they've acquired (I know from personal experience that Ray-Ban had far better quality when it was made by Bausch & Lomb), and they drive competitors out of the market.

They also own LensCrafters, Pearle Opticians, Pearle Vision, Sears Optical, Target Optical, BJ's Optical, Cole Vision Care, and many more retail outlets. Wonder why your "designer" glasses cost more than a 40" plasma TV and only last a year? You have Luxottica to thank.

That said, Maui Jim, not being owned by Luxottica, makes terrific sunglasses (in Japan) with excellent construction. I would just buy them from somewhere else.

I did not realize this. Here is the Luxottica link as proof.

I bought a pair of Revo sunglasses in 2004 and they have been great. They have been in many weather conditions and oceans. Now the tinting on the glass lens is fading around the edges. I could use a new pair and will look for the Maui Jims, but not this unattractive pair. Thanks for the info.

I've found the styles of MJ's carried at Costco vary by store to store, even in the same city. So if you don't find a pair you like at one store, try another. I was fortunate enough to find a pair I like at my closest Costco for $80.

esoterica said:   I would rather buy from Costco than from Sunglass Hut. Sunglass Hut is owned by Luxottica, which has a virtual monopoly on designer eyewear (they own or own the rights to: Anne Klein, Arnette, Brooks Brothers, Bulgari, Burberry, Chanel, Chaps, Coach, D&G, Dolce and Gabbana, DKNY, Donna Karan, Miu Miu, Mosley Tribes, Oakley, Oliver Peoples, Persol, Paul Smith, Polo Ralph Lauren, Prada, Ralph Lauren Purple Label, Ray-Ban, Revo, Sferoflex, Stella McCartney, Tiffany & Co, Tory Burch, Versace, Versus, and Vogue). About the only brands they don't own are Maui Jim and Serengeti. And they're generally regarded as having lowered the quality on most of the brands they've acquired (I know from personal experience that Ray-Ban had far better quality when it was made by Bausch & Lomb), and they drive competitors out of the market.

Wow. I did not know this. Time to change brands.

I have a huge face and got sick and tired of glasses not fitting me, finally doing the research and buying a pair of Ka'anapali -- mostly because they were available as merchandise using my Discover CashBack. Absolutely love 'em.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014