• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Looks like the program is open again for new members,

Cary, NC  July 31, 2012 – republic wireless, a division of Bandwidth, and the nation’s first Wi-Fi-centric mobile operator, today reopened its $19/month unlimited Beta to new customers, offering an all-new handset, the Motorola DEFY XT.

With the Motorola DEFY XT, republic wireless members enjoy the features and functionality of an Android™-powered smartphone in a durable design. Water-resistant, dustproof, and scratch-resistant with its Corning® Gorilla® Glass display, the DEFY XT is a smartphone that can keep up with life.  It features a crystal-clear 3.7-inch display, 1GHz processor, 5-megapixel rear-facing  camera, and Dynamic Widgets to provide quick access to favorite apps and contacts with automatic updates based on preferences.

The Motorola DEFY XT features republic’s proprietary Hybrid Calling technology to leverage Wi-Fi as the primary network, and uses the cellular network as a backup only when needed. It will be offered to republic members for $249, and $19/month for unlimited talk, text and data, with no contracts. 

“Since launching last year, republic has disrupted the wireless industry in a way few could have ever imagined,” said David Morken, founder & CEO of Bandwidth.  “Consumers are flocking to republic because they’re fed up with the status quo.  We’ve liberated them from a world of so-called “unlimited” plans that have caps on data usage, hidden fees, long-term contracts and other restrictions.  We’ve set a new bar and we’re ushering in a new era of Wi-Fi-first wireless for millions more people.”

“We’re thrilled to reopen our Beta today and unveil the Motorola DEFY XT,” said Brian Dally, GM of republic. “Today marks a major milestone of our resolute effort to build an engine that can scale to handle millions of members. Your republic is still an unmatched $19 a month for unlimited service that keeps getting better. ”

The beta will re-open today, July 31 and the company will begin accepting orders from individuals that claimed a spot in a Beta wave earlier this year.

Cost of republic service will remain the same, with:
■      $19 per month for unlimited text, talk and data over Wi-Fi and cellular (plus taxes)
■      No contracts, no overages and no hidden fees
■      New members get a 30-day money-back satisfaction guarantee
■      And there is no early-termination fee if members wish to cancel their service

Motorola DEFY XT features:
■      Dust-proof and water resistant, with a Corning® Gorilla® Glass display that resists scuffs and scratches
■      Quick access to your favorite activities and the friends and family you contact most
■      See and be seen with the front-facing VGA webcam for video chats, plus a 5 MP camera with auto-focus, LED flash and 4x digital zoom
■      Access more than 600,000 apps and games available on Google Play™ as well as millions of books and songs and thousands of movies and TV shows.
■      Customizable activity dashboards provide additional functionality with access to an integrated compass, pedometer, music player, and weather
■      1650 mAh battery, for optimized performance and longer life-proof fun

The company also announced that its original members will soon be offered the opportunity to upgrade from LG Optimus to the Motorola DEFY XT for just $149. This $100 discount is in appreciation of members’ support and feedback during the beta period.

For more information, and to join a wave, please visit: http://republicwireless.com/

To connect with the republic community, please visit: http://republicwireless.com/forum

About republic
republic wireless, a division of Bandwidth, is an innovative new carrier spearheading a wireless freedom movement to return value and control of the smartphone experience to our members. Leveraging the power of the Internet and an engaged community of users, republic wireless offers unlimited voice, text, and data service for only $19 per month, with no contract.  republic wireless’ Hybrid Calling enables its smartphones to use Wi-Fi in the home, office or anywhere else as the primary network for calls.  When outside of Wi-Fi coverage, the smartphone seamlessly uses the cellular network.

About Bandwidth
Bandwidth is among the nation's largest and fastest-growing communication technology companies. The company operates four divisions – inetwork, Phonebooth, Broadband and republic wireless – that all share a mission of transforming the communications industry. Across the four divisions, Bandwidth provides a full range of communications services, including wholesale voice origination and termination, a full suite of 9-1-1 services, hosted VoIP and internet connectivity service for SMBs, and a consumer wireless business. Founded in 1999, and a certified CLEC in 49 states, Bandwidth is a profitable company headquartered in Cary, NC with a large remote office in Denver, CO and field offices in eight other cities. For more information, please visit www.bandwidth.com.

MOTOROLA and the Stylized M Logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Motorola Trademark Holdings, LLC. Android and Google Play are trademarks of Google, Inc. Corning and Gorilla are registered trademarks of Corning Incorporated.  2012 Motorola Mobility LLC.  All rights reserved.

Member Summary

REPUBLIC WIRELESS
Thanks Neilium
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
the only problem is that TMOBILE wifi calling does not HAND OFF to the cellular network when you get outside your wifi c... (more)

lemonhead (Dec. 03, 2012 @ 10:03a) |

Wifi to cellular hand-off is not even supported by RW yet and there is no released roadmap for it. That is one feature I... (more)

ever1talk2me (Feb. 22, 2013 @ 3:36p) |

I think you might have this the other way around..
I know T-mo wifi to cellular works .. link1 link2 .. plus I have pers... (more)

ever1talk2me (Feb. 22, 2013 @ 3:55p) |

It is a true beta. Expect issues with connectivity. The only reasons to sign up:
- you are an extreme FW and can sacrifice call quality/availability to save $10 a month
- you believe that the service will stabilize, become more expensive and beta users will be grandfathered
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

More info about beta: https://community.republicwireless.com/community/phones/moto-defy docs/DOC-1091

More info about new phone: https://community.republicwireless.com/community/phones/moto-defy

http://www.motorola.com/Consumers/XP-EN/Consumer-Products-and-Services/Mobile-Phones/ci.MOTOROLA-DEFY-XT-XP-EN.alt#anchor

First wave users who do not upgrade will have $0 service fee until the end of 2012 according to the email I got. It looks like the new phone has a much better battery life, but other than that I don't really see a reason to upgrade.

P.S. Existing users who wish to upgrade should expect an offer for $100 off shortly, making the new phone $149 for them.

What's the consensus on the service and concept?

the phone portion is run by Sprint; if you have poor Sprint coverage in your area you will be saved by the wi-fi portion of republic wireless' offering. in north carolina's 3g areas Sprint gets 800kbps down and 80kbps up. the Sprint voice service has been very patchy indoors in greensboro for the past 13 years, no improvement.

the verizon sales rep claims Sprint is tearing down towers, but i never trust such information provided by competitor salesmen without verifying it myself. i have not verified this yet

the voip portion of this is run by bandwidth.com, which is a tier-1 voip company. the quality of your voip calls will be limited by your internet connection.

Actually, that's true, by law, they have to vacate 800MHz. They're taking their good time but I know people who's been speculating on those bands for years now, hoping to make a buck by squatting the frequencies as they become available, hoping to make big bucks.

The funny part is, Verizon probably has to vacate the same frequency, too!

in 4 1, tnx

This first Beta wave was a disaster. I don't see a shipping time frame on the website, but my guess is that, if you sign up today, it will be 1-2 months before you have a phone in your hands. Oh, but your credit card will be charged immediately.

Failure Service Beta # 2.

This whole thing is taking an embarrassingly long time. I think I'm tired of waiting for them to get their act together. Hell I had completely forgotten about them and about signing up for a 'beta wave'. There are too many other options out there like the T-Mobile 30/mo deal that it makes no sense to wait for this.

Thanks...I am in also...sounds interesting.

Sounds interesting. In for 1. Why not.

GWBush said:   What's the consensus on the service and concept?
I got in on the first wave and used it exclusively for about 3 months. The concept is great, and should have worked, but the phone and service were too buggy to use. I thought the required wifi to cell ratio may be hard for me to fit in (I do a lot of calling from my car), but in fact I never went over the allowance. Even traveling it wasn't a problem. The problem was the phone and the wifi calling in particular. I often (daily) had trouble making calls the first try. Usually it would go through the if I hit redial, but there were a couple of times when nothing I did would get it to make a call. This usually happened after going from wifi to cellular. The couple of times it refused to make a call I had to wait until I got home, got back on wifi, then it would work. It also randomly rebooted daily. (Of course always when I needed to make a call!)

The other issue was call quality. A couple of friends commented every time I called. There was an ever so slight delay when on wifi. Forget about walking around when on a wifi call - it doesn't know how to switch from wifi to cell on the go, so if you get to a bad area in your house the call dropped. And when trying to make or receive a call in an area with a weak wifi signal it didn't know what to do. It just failed. The last month I used it I just left wifi off and used it as a cell phone.

Their customer service started off promising - I emailed them a long list of observations, they got back to me within a day, one of the suggestions was for them to do a reset on their end - I replied back go ahead and never heard from them again.

This is all from about 3 months ago - they may have new ROMs and maybe my phone was bad. The price is right, the concept should work, but as with any beta, it's not really ready to be your primary phone.

What were/are the cell minute limits?

Tmonkey your ussing the LG Optimus S , My optimus V reboots on it own when it gets stuck, the new phone is more powerfull so they can't compare.

Killfac3 unlimited voice/text/data they killed the fair use policy

I'm waiting on the C wave

waiting wave K !!

We used RW from the beginning of the year until about last week. For $20/month, we dealt with inconsistent service, slow download speeds (at least in CO), inconsistent text delivery (plus mind you - no MMS and no multi-page texts). Even though it works on Sprint's network, they frequently had problems with contracts for Sprint and so for example, we drove from CO up to Montana (passing through Wyoming). In Wyoming and Montana on the Interstate, while we had decent Sprint signal, we couldn't make calls. Occasionally we could receive calls, but we couldn't dial out. Data worked however. The same thing happened on a trip through Kansas...reporting strong signal - data would work, voice would not. Each time, contacting support, the response was that there was a contract issue that was being worked out.

Occasionally during my normal back and forth commute - despite having strong signal...calls just wouldn't go out. Rebooting the phone, going in and out of airplane mode...none of those things would help the issue. Support would say they'd change a setting, and sure enough, I'd get calling back...but having to contact them multiple times for that issue to me was just a pain.

Ultimately the texting issue pushed us over the edge...I'd send texts to my wife...she wouldn't get them...or we'd be sitting around 6+ hours later before the text would finally come in.

But you could argue you get what you pay for...$20 for unlimited data/voice/text. I just wouldn't want to be in a place where I had to rely on them in case of emergency. (And yes, technically they're still Beta so there will be bugs...we just couldn't handle it any longer)

**Oh and trying to port our numbers away from Republic has been a royal pain in the butt. We're in the middle of week 2 trying to get this sorted out.

JHO5 said:   

**Oh and trying to port our numbers away from Republic has been a royal pain in the butt.

Suggestion: for anyone trying this, port to Google Voice first.

I'm going to try Straight Talk, and I am planning on porting my # to Google Voice, then forwarding that to the cell. That way my number is preserved. Of course, not sure what I am going to to with my current GV #...have to figure that out...

I "registered" my email with Republic a couple weeks ago when all one could do was submit their email address in order to be notified of the next re-launch/beta wave. I checked my email just now and received no emails from Republic inviting me to sign-up. Yet they are looking for new customers on their website for the new wave. Weird.

I too was in the first wave
Have not really had any major issues
I do have to occasionally pull the battery to get a call to go through but had to do that with my company BB every once in a while also
No one has complained about call quality via WiFi

The current phone ships rooted so was able to use link2SD and get ALL the apps I could ever want installed

The lack of MMS is a bit lame and I believe RW recognized this with their fairly generous offer of free service till the end of the year if you choose to stick with the Optimus V

Hard to go wrong at 20/month. I've signed up for a second wave and may put the 13 YO on RW-currently on virgin at 45 with the same optimus V

If I have any complaint with RW it would be that, they seemed a bit overwhelmed and are not quite able to communicate specifics about their plan/phones/waves in a timely manner

Again though, hard to go wrong at 20/month

Not sure if I'm going to upgrade to the new phone, 150 right now is a lot of coin for me

im in the wave J... signed up about 3-4 months ago.. not sure where they are in their beta , but most of the wifi spots i frequent dont give me the impression that id be able to have reliable voice bandwidth. that being said id use more voice than wifi and they probably would cut me off as they probably should...

also, you cant bring your own phone into this deal. i already own my smartphone and im on prepaid T-Mobile 30/mo ... if the phone at republic is $100 and $20/mo.. it would be 11 months before i come out ahead... but then id be saving about $15 per month after that ... not really worth it imho

beachfitrobdotcom said:   JHO5 said:   

**Oh and trying to port our numbers away from Republic has been a royal pain in the butt.

Suggestion: for anyone trying this, port to Google Voice first.

I'm going to try Straight Talk, and I am planning on porting my # to Google Voice, then forwarding that to the cell. That way my number is preserved. Of course, not sure what I am going to to with my current GV #...have to figure that out...
When you bring in a new number to google voice your old number will still work for awhile, I think 6 mos? You can pay a one time fee, not sure but I think it was $10, to keep both numbers permanently.

It's $20 to keep your old number too.

It sports a 3.7-inch scratch-resistant touchscreen, Android 2.1, Motorola’s BLUR interface, five-megapixel camera, and a “rugged” exterior shell.

zelty said:   It sports a 3.7-inch scratch-resistant touchscreen, Android 2.1, Motorola’s BLUR interface, five-megapixel camera, and a “rugged” exterior shell.
It's 2.3 (Gingerbread) and I do not think it has MOTOBLUR.

for $10 more, Tmo's unlimited plan is better in my opinion.

1. groove ip + google voice on 4g network vs. Sprint
2. unlimited data vs. no data
3. wifi would be the same
4. most importantly, wide selection of phones w/ tmo

Too expensive.....

There are programs for Android phones that allow you to makes calls from your cell phone over wifi. I use one regularly.....though its not amazing, it does work pretty well.

Groove IP

PZE368 said:   for $10 more, Tmo's unlimited plan is better in my opinion.

1. groove ip + google voice on 4g network vs. Sprint
2. unlimited data vs. no data
3. wifi would be the same
4. most importantly, wide selection of phones w/ tmo

(#2) RW has data, both via cell and wifi

I gave up (tired of waiting) and went with a Ting account. I got together with 5 other people in my family and we had a $92 bill after taxes last month with 6 phones on the account. Some of us are heavy data users, but we try to limit it to when we have a WiFi connection.

As an example, I enjoy podcast in the car during my 45 min commute to/from work. I have Google Listen installed and it automatically downloads podcast when I have a WiFi connection.

I do miss my Sprint Unlimited Data, but I would rather save money and try to limit big data usage to when I have a WiFi connection.

Have any "wave" participants used Republic in San Antonio or around SE Wisconsin? I presently reside in San Antonio and am forced to make all calls outside (T-Mobile prepaid reception is hit-or-miss indoors). I'll be returning to Wisconsin next August; T-Mobile prepaid works great there but I am in the market for a new voice-only phone.

Does anyone have any idea how much time RW expects to elapse between beta waves? It was 8.5 months between wave A and wave B. At that rate, my wave F will come up in about 2.8 years.

I think it will be pretty fast now- they do it in waves just so they don't have thousands of people trying to get service/phones at the same time.
BTW I am in the current wave B, but decided to skip- phone is way too expensive (pretty much the same as Exhibit II 4G, but almost twice the price) and my number cannot be ported(they don't service my area code)

I have had them since the beginning. I am keeping the phone for the free 6 months, but I will likely drop them after that. Too many dropped calls, poor quality, calls that won't go through, and poor Sprint coverage. I am on page plus unlimited for $50 ( thanks kitty wireless) with reliable Verizon coverage now.

marteen5640 said:   This first Beta wave was a disaster. I don't see a shipping time frame on the website, but my guess is that, if you sign up today, it will be 1-2 months before you have a phone in your hands. Oh, but your credit card will be charged immediately.

I signed up for a beta wave, but they haven't charged my credit card. They don't have the number. (May or may not be a good deal overall; that's another story.)

Wave E is to open tomorrow based on the email I got. Plus I still qualify for the $100 discount on purchase of a phone. I have two weeks to make the decision on it......

Roism said:   Wave E is to open tomorrow based on the email I got. Plus I still qualify for the $100 discount on purchase of a phone. I have two weeks to make the decision on it......Pass it this way if you are not interested.

I passed it up. Too many folks had too many problems. FAIL

Skipping 28 Messages...
lemonhead said:   
the only problem is that TMOBILE wifi calling does not HAND OFF to the cellular network when you get outside your wifi coverage area - the republic does - i know this because i have BOTH carriers!

I think you might have this the other way around..
I know T-mo wifi to cellular works .. link1 link2 .. plus I have personal experience using it

RW wifi to cellular does not work which is a real gripe given that they call their service a hybrid service.
From what I understand, the whole issue boils down to the fact that such a feature needs to be supported by the carrier (in this case Sprint). But since Sprint does not currently support this, I am not sure how RW plans to make it work.
You can read more on this in the community forums in RW website. Link1 .. Link2 Link3

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014

It's time for an upgrade!

After a decade on our current platform, we're upgrading our plumbing. The site will be down for a few hours starting at 10PM CST tonight.

At FatWallet we strive to bring you the best coupons, deals and Cash Back. So please come back and check us out.