• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
So Windows 8 has just gone RTM
Technet subscribers will get access early on Aug 15th.

See other threads about technet - you are getting NONEXPIRING development licences.
This will give you Windows 8, Widnows 7, XP etc. multiple installs.

Amazon has technet standard english for $175 OR for $140 as a RENEWAL:
http://www.amazon.com/Technet-Std-2010-English-Programs/dp/B0038...
http://www.amazon.com/Technet-Standard-English-Programs-Renewal/...

Technet online is $199. There may be discount codes?
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/subscriptions/hh442910.aspx

Amazon
Get Up to 6.0% Cash Back in the Following Departments:
Member Summary

technet standard
Thanks Llilith
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
Where did you get this info? I thought it was still unclear about what exactly would happen when the subscription expire... (more)

namlook (Jan. 05, 2013 @ 4:53p) |

FYI - I hear existing installs and new activation using keys from a tech net subscription started in 2011 (that lapsed l... (more)

nemi_amd (Jan. 05, 2013 @ 5:16p) |

From their terms online when I signed up on July 1st.

MisterEd (Jan. 05, 2013 @ 9:18p) |

For software evaluation only:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/subscriptions/ms772427.aspx

The TechNet Subscriptions Software License Terms grant one user the right to install the program software on any devices for evaluation purposes, including those located at his or her home, so long as the user fully complies with all of the License Terms no matter where the device is located. In other words, one user may install and use the evaluation software, only to evaluate it. You may not use it in a live operating environment, a staging or production environment, or with data that has not been sufficiently backed up. You may not use the evaluation software for software development or in an application development environment.
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

The camel would have told you that this is the going rate. In fact it recently increased in price by $3.

My Technet Pro is up for renewal. I never even thought about looking at Amazon. Usually $249 for me at Microsoft, $223 at Amazon. Better than nothing...

qube said:   My Technet Pro is up for renewal. I never even thought about looking at Amazon. Usually $249 for me at Microsoft, $223 at Amazon. Better than nothing...

Same here. A few bucks is a few bucks.

too bad Amazon is charging taxes now ....

A couple months back I saw something about Technet subscriptions changing from offering NON-expiring license codes to EXPIRING license codes that only work as long as you maintain your subscription. Not currently a subscriber so I only glanced at it & probably deleted it. But now I've been thinking about subscribing once again and can't find any info on it. Anyone else recall seeing any info?

Not really a bad deal. Last subscription I had was $99, which was a steal. And I've been waiting for that to return, but it's now been probably 3-4 years. According the reviews, it's now limited to 2 licenses, each for 5 PCs. But I don't see anyone claiming you need to renew the sub to retain those licenses. Obviously that a deal killer, in the extreme. And frankly, it's hard to imagine even MS being that draconian. Seems to me they'd be much more likely to limit the total licenses, at least if they don't want major backlash and lost revenue. But still, I’m hesitant until its confirmed to be non-expiring.

Technet and MSDN subs are now have a lower number of licenses and you have to maintain sub to keep the keys active.
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/subscriptions/cc294422.aspx
This just changed this year. Old keys from old subscriptions are still non expiring.

@landenpc

This is what is in the Subscription Agreement:

6.Activation
The subscription requires activation. You are only permitted to activate the subscription in the geographic region in which you purchased the subscription. Some of the software may also require activation. You must activate the software within the geographic region in which you activated the subscription because program benefits and services are tied to the geographic region where the subscription is activated. You may use the software in any geographic region. For further information on geographic restrictions, visit: go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=141397.

7.Product keys
The software may require a key to install or access it. Not all software is provided with the same number of keys. You are responsible for the use of any keys assigned to you. You may not resell, share, assign, or otherwise transfer keys. Key activity is monitored. Microsoft reserves the right to suspend or terminate your subscription, without any notice or obligation to you, if Microsoft detects suspicious activity related to keys or activations. Microsoft reserves the right to determine in its sole discretion whether an activity constitutes suspicious activity. Suspicious activity could include, but is not limited to, keys being activated in geographic regions that are different from the geographic location of the subscription activation or purchase, downloading of a large number of keys, and other similar activities. Microsoft may deactivate or otherwise limit your keys when your subscription ends. Deactivated keys will not be able to activate software.

Technet has been getting worse and worse every year. Probably to the point its no longer worth the money.

They have changed the terms AGAIN. Now for anyone who signs up or renewed July 16th or after. Now apparently your software licenses will only be active as long as your subscription is active (apparently this doesn't apply to people who renewed before July 16th... or at least not until they renew next time). They also removed some software available to download.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/subscriptions/ms772427#qanda
http://www.zdnet.com/to-fight-piracy-microsoft-tightens-msdn-and...

This has nothing to do with piracy either, that is just an excuse they are using to screw their *paying* customers. Microsoft makes big bucks/free money off this.

edit: I think they state you are supposed to stop using the software after the subscription expires (they don't mention the removing of keys, but they probably could, I don't know). Which is opposite of what the perpetual license they had before.

"You are only permitted to activate the subscription in the geographic region in which you purchased the subscription."

Are they joking?! So I move my family from Michigan to Texas, it's all over?! I'm on the road and need to install, I can't? LOL

Looks like another reason to get a VPN client, one that can let you select specific regions.

Apparently it is getting more and more draconian.

@eibgrad - I think they mean world wide geographical regions. A subscriber in the US whose keys are being activated in Russia or Pakistan or India deserve to be looked at.

It's hard to argue that Technet is becoming less attractive. If you use the software, however, and are in IT for a living, it's probably still worthwhile.

So you get 2 licenses for each product that can be used on 5 PCs and will expire if you don't renew? Is that a proper summary?

chefchu said:   So you get 2 licenses for each product that can be used on 5 PCs and will expire if you don't renew? Is that a proper summary?

"Microsoft may deactivate or otherwise limit your keys when your subscription ends."

So you tell me, is it safe to invest the $175? You're left hoping "the man" doesn't slam the door on your knuckles a year from now. Good grief, I hate stuff like this.

Also on a related note regarding Windows 8... if you've been "abusing" the Windows 7's OA2.1 method of OEM_SLP offline activation via SLIC 2.1 table modification, bad news. Windows 8's OA3.0 is a much, MUCH tougher way to abuse. It's not simply a table in the BIOS anymore, they've ramped it up so much that even legit users of the OEM_SLP machines will face reactivation if certain amount of hardware are changed.

Bottom line, you can get a retail copy of the Windows 8 for $40 (if I am right), or get the rest (such as new Office and Server 12) EARLY if you wish to pay more.

What happens if you got your Technet subscription prior to July 16th when the licence keys were "perpetual"? Does that mean that if you do not renew (which would trigger a new agreement), you can keep these licenses going forever but you would just loose out on not being able to get any new keys after your licence did expire?

Just curious because this would apply to me so I'm wondering if it in my best interests not to renew so I am "granfathered" in to the terms that were in effect when I purchased.

Just curious because this would apply to me so I'm wondering if it in my best interests not to renew

Why renew? just buy a new one. You can keep on using your old keys.

f2000sa said:   Just curious because this would apply to me so I'm wondering if it in my best interests not to renew

Why renew? just buy a new one. You can keep on using your old keys.


Renewals cost less.

MS is trying to squeeze as much as they can. People are no longer upgrading like before. Look at the number of XP installs still out there.

namlook said:   f2000sa said:   Just curious because this would apply to me so I'm wondering if it in my best interests not to renew

Why renew? just buy a new one. You can keep on using your old keys.


Renewals cost less.


Exactly, that's why I asked. Also, the subscription is tied to your Microsoft Live ID so if you want to buy a new one and keep it separate, you may also have to register it under a different ID.

IrishBrewer said:   What happens if you got your Technet subscription prior to July 16th when the licence keys were "perpetual"? Does that mean that if you do not renew (which would trigger a new agreement), you can keep these licenses going forever but you would just loose out on not being able to get any new keys after your licence did expire?

Just curious because this would apply to me so I'm wondering if it in my best interests not to renew so I am "granfathered" in to the terms that were in effect when I purchased.


MS product license keys issued through TechNet / TechNet Pro have never been legal, perpetual licenses so there is nothing for MS to grandfather in for existing subscribers. Legally, according to the TechNet subscriber agreement, you could never use those MS products licenses after your TechNet sub expired. Nothing has changed. What has changed is that MS is now enforcing electronic compliance to their TechNet subscriber agreement. The same electronic compliance now also applies to MSDN and Action Pack subscribers as well.

Can anyone confirm if the older "non-expiring" keys can be reused/reinstalled even after your subscription ends? I was under the *assumption* that while existing installs wouldn't drop dead, you'd no longer be able to re-activate using the keys.

Renewals cost less.

How much to renew? I thought the price is already very low for new sub.

I have a friend with an expired TechNet. He can still get to the keys and activate software. He cannot request new keys that were not previously requested....but the old ones for Office, Windows 7, etc are still good.

Not worth the money? For $199/$249 you get an OBSCENE amount of software. Price Office 2010 Standard lately?

Will Windows 8 roll into this? I see the beta release, but does the technet subscription apply to software released after the subscription is purchased?

Yes, you will get everything that comes up during the year you have your sub.

Guys, just wait until Windows 9 comes out. Then I bet you can get a retail Windows 8 license for much cheaper!! Pure genius move.

Ooops said:   too bad Amazon is charging taxes now ....no one charges tax. They collect tax.

tcool93 said:   Technet has been getting worse and worse every year. Probably to the point its no longer worth the money.

They have changed the terms AGAIN. Now for anyone who signs up or renewed July 16th or after. Now apparently your software licenses will only be active as long as your subscription is active (apparently this doesn't apply to people who renewed before July 16th... or at least not until they renew next time). They also removed some software available to download.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/subscriptions/ms772427#qanda
http://www.zdnet.com/to-fight-piracy-microsoft-tightens-msdn-and...

This has nothing to do with piracy either, that is just an excuse they are using to screw their *paying* customers. Microsoft makes big bucks/free money off this.

edit: I think they state you are supposed to stop using the software after the subscription expires (they don't mention the removing of keys, but they probably could, I don't know). Which is opposite of what the perpetual license they had before.
They're NOT going to turn off your licenses. It says what it always said: That after your sub expires you will no longer have access to the software which means you CANNOT DOWNLOAD ANY MORE SOFTWARE which is how it has always been and that you are SUPPOSED TO stop using it which makes perfect sense after your sub expires and has always been that way. Their words are being twisted. Read it carefully.

The subscription provides you with access to software and associated benefits. When your subscription concludes, you will no longer have access to the software or any associated benefits and must discontinue your use of the software.

BigBadDAD said:   @eibgrad - I think they mean world wide geographical regions. A subscriber in the US whose keys are being activated in Russia or Pakistan or India deserve to be looked at.

It's hard to argue that Technet is becoming less attractive. If you use the software, however, and are in IT for a living, it's probably still worthwhile.


+1

My guess would be that the geographic restrictions would kick in only if they detected that you were installing software in multiple international regions. They most definitely won't care if you use the licenses in multiple regions within the same country.

MisterEd said:   tcool93 said:   Technet has been getting worse and worse every year. Probably to the point its no longer worth the money.

They have changed the terms AGAIN. Now for anyone who signs up or renewed July 16th or after. Now apparently your software licenses will only be active as long as your subscription is active (apparently this doesn't apply to people who renewed before July 16th... or at least not until they renew next time). They also removed some software available to download.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/subscriptions/ms772427#qanda
http://www.zdnet.com/to-fight-piracy-microsoft-tightens-msdn-and...

This has nothing to do with piracy either, that is just an excuse they are using to screw their *paying* customers. Microsoft makes big bucks/free money off this.

edit: I think they state you are supposed to stop using the software after the subscription expires (they don't mention the removing of keys, but they probably could, I don't know). Which is opposite of what the perpetual license they had before.
They're NOT going to turn off your licenses. It says what it always said: That after your sub expires you will no longer have access to the software which means you CANNOT DOWNLOAD ANY MORE SOFTWARE which is how it has always been and that you are SUPPOSED TO stop using it which makes perfect sense after your sub expires and has always been that way. Their words are being twisted. Read it carefully.

The subscription provides you with access to software and associated benefits. When your subscription concludes, you will no longer have access to the software or any associated benefits and must discontinue your use of the software.


Their words in the licensing agreement are subject to personal intrepretation but MS's current actions speak louder than words. MS has already started electonic licensing enforcement with recent MSDN and Action pack subs through MS products that support MS Genuine Advantage updates so there is no reason to believe that they have not extended that practice to TechNet as well. In the past MS simply relied on ethical enforcement of their subscription licensing agreement but that has failed miserably.

I don't know why people are so exited about Microsoft. If I got to pay for there OS's I don't think it anything to be excited for. I mean there are Linux out there with lot of free softwares if not all free and the different flavors you can try even on your out dated pc.

MisterEd said:    They're NOT going to turn off your licenses. It says what it always said: That after your sub expires you will no longer have access to the software which means you CANNOT DOWNLOAD ANY MORE SOFTWARE which is how it has always been and that you are SUPPOSED TO stop using it which makes perfect sense after your sub expires and has always been that way. Their words are being twisted. Read it carefully.

The subscription provides you with access to software and associated benefits. When your subscription concludes, you will no longer have access to the software or any associated benefits and must discontinue your use of the software.


You are wrong. New Subscriber agreement states:

2. Access to software

The subscription provides you with access to software and associated benefits. When your subscription concludes, you will no longer have access to the software or any associated benefits and must discontinue your use of the software.


The old agreement doesn't have any language that talks about discontinuing use of the software after the subscription concludes, it's all new as of July. The only thing remotely related is this:
Subscription Services. In order to access or use subscription services that may be available to you, such as software downloads, technical support and product keys, your subscription must be active.
Which is describing the behavior of MSDN and Technet to cut you off from the downloads and being issued new keys once your subscription ends. I have expired subscriptions on my account and can access all the keys I requested before it ended, I just can't download the ISOs anymore. That's why I have them stored.

Up until around 7 years ago just about every technet and msdn license came with the DVD subscription which now costs extra. The ISO download was an added bonus, so the fact that they cut you off from downloading them wasnt a big deal since you had all the official microsoft pressed media in a binder anyway.

Needless to say, it IS a big change that does devalue the subscription if you don't plan on keeping it active.

Lacutis said:   

Needless to say, it IS a big change that does devalue the subscription if you don't plan on keeping it active.

Thanks a lot for the detailed analysis. I am an NT4 MCSE back then and I still have two binders of Technet CDs which they used to give for free to MCSEs...
This is indeed a very big change.... I feel that Microsoft is really trying to find ways to generate more revenue.
They have also made big changes in the certification program, too.

Wait, so if I have three laptops (which I do) and change machines a few times during my Win8 use (over, say, two years) that means I can use two licence keys on 5 total installs (so 10 total at any given time)for $175? I frequently have multiple machines running and wipe/re-install a few times a year.

If so, this sounds like a good deal vs. buying individual licenses and dealing with activation issues.

TechNet subscriptions are so cheap because it is for evaluation of software only:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/subscriptions/ms772427.aspx

"The TechNet Subscriptions Software License Terms grant one user the right to install the program software on any devices for evaluation purposes, including those located at his or her home, so long as the user fully complies with all of the License Terms no matter where the device is located. In other words, one user may install and use the evaluation software, only to evaluate it. You may not use it in a live operating environment, a staging or production environment, or with data that has not been sufficiently backed up. You may not use the evaluation software for software development or in an application development environment."

That being said, the consensus appears to be that you may evaluate as much software at home, in any way you see fit, as long as you are not supporting a business:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/subscriptions/ms772427.aspx

Paul Thurrott has endorsed Technet as a way to save money for the tech geek type user. He's said if you know what it is and how to get it you can use it to save money. Most regular people have one PC and need one license. Geeks have many and need many.

coolbreeze said:   Wait, so if I have three laptops (which I do) and change machines a few times during my Win8 use (over, say, two years) that means I can use two licence keys on 5 total installs (so 10 total at any given time)for $175? I frequently have multiple machines running and wipe/re-install a few times a year.

If so, this sounds like a good deal vs. buying individual licenses and dealing with activation issues.


Some tips:

1)
After an install+ activation do an image backup using windows system image maker or a 3rd party one such as Achronis true image. Then reisntall form the image. that way you don't have to reactivate.
2)
that said I have activated some of my keys greater than 5 times without an issue.
3)
You are going to get a lot of serial numbers, more than you think, here is the windows 7 unique key list (names twice because of two keys per name) :

EDIT: new list has reduced the number of Windows (7) variants. check them out here:
http://download.microsoft.com/download/C/7/8/C78DB720-88CB-455E-AA0E-A087CB332A23/TechNet_Product_List.xlsx

More info from http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/subscriptions/ms772427.aspx

What changes did Microsoft implement to TechNet Subscriptions in July 2012?
On July 16, Microsoft made changes to TechNet Subscriptions to better reflect the intent of the program – aiding IT professionals in evaluating current Microsoft software—and to help protect the integrity of the subscription from unsupported use. As part of this change, we:

Reduced the length and complexity of the User Agreement.
Made Microsoft software use and other subscription benefits available only during the 12 month subscription period.
Updated the list of products available for evaluation by:
Removing redundant or multiple instances of products. For instance: The full Office suite will be available for download, but not standalone Office products such as Outlook, Publisher, etc.
Removing products that are not intended for use in an IT professional managed business environment. For instance: Windows XP Home Edition.
Removing products that are no longer covered by extended support through the Microsoft Support Lifecycle.
Standardized the 24hr product key claim limit across all programs and benefit levels at ten (10).
To review the terms of use, please refer to the Microsoft TechNet Subscription agreement that applies based on your acceptance date:

Prior to July 16 2012: TechNet Subscriber Agreement - Prior to July 16, 2012
On/After July 16 2012: Current TechNet Subscriber Agreement
Please provide feedback and share other comments via TechNet Site Feedback. If you require assistance with software evaluations as a result of these changes, please contact customer service.

Skipping 12 Messages...
namlook said:   MisterEd said:   hchen42 said:   Yes, all the keys re working. However, I haven't tried windows 8 yet. If you purchased your Technet BEFORE JULY 16 2012 the keys will not expire. Any subs purchased AFTER JULY 16 2012 the keys expire when the sub expires. They do give you an "unadvertised" couple month "grace period" to renew then they cancel it.

It is possible your already activated product will continue to function but the keys won't be able to be used on new installs or reinstalls.


Where did you get this info? I thought it was still unclear about what exactly would happen when the subscription expires since no one has gotten to that point yet.
From their terms online when I signed up on July 1st.



Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014