• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
Mine expires on the 10th and I wont renew. I don't like the fact that they have reduced the number of keys and now a chance that if next year I don't renew they might "turn off" my keys...

nemi_amd said:   
Removing products that are not intended for use in an IT professional managed business environment. For instance: Windows XP Home Edition.

Thought I'd put it out here too, that W7 Ultimate has been removed from the offering. Really pay attention to that list a few posts back.

in my technet it shows:

Windows 7 Ultimate and Ultimate K (TechNet Standard) Retail You have claimed 2 of 0 keys

Seems they dinged (at least my) subscription, even though I didn't renew and had my account prior to July 2012.

jjstokes said:   Mine expires on the 10th and I wont renew. I don't like the fact that they have reduced the number of keys and now a chance that if next year I don't renew they might "turn off" my keys...

That's not what the new agreement says. Your supposed to stop using the software at the end of your subscription. It does not say Microsoft will terminate the keys you have in use unless they suspect illegal activity. Read it closely. You will lose access to new software downloads.

Skeeedunt said:   Can anyone confirm if the older "non-expiring" keys can be reused/reinstalled even after your subscription ends? I was under the *assumption* that while existing installs wouldn't drop dead, you'd no longer be able to re-activate using the keys.

My experience is that they do not expire and can be re-used.

My subscription expires on October 20. I plan not to renew just to see if my old keys work.

hchen42 said:   My subscription expires on October 20. I plan not to renew just to see if my old keys work.

Did it still work?

Yes, all the keys re working. However, I haven't tried windows 8 yet.

hchen42 said:   Yes, all the keys re working. However, I haven't tried windows 8 yet. If you purchased your Technet BEFORE JULY 16 2012 the keys will not expire. Any subs purchased AFTER JULY 16 2012 the keys expire when the sub expires. They do give you an "unadvertised" couple month "grace period" to renew then they cancel it.

It is possible your already activated product will continue to function but the keys won't be able to be used on new installs or reinstalls.

IrishBrewer said:   What happens if you got your Technet subscription prior to July 16th when the licence keys were "perpetual"? Does that mean that if you do not renew (which would trigger a new agreement), you can keep these licenses going forever but you would just loose out on not being able to get any new keys after your licence did expire?

Just curious because this would apply to me so I'm wondering if it in my best interests not to renew so I am "granfathered" in to the terms that were in effect when I purchased.

I am hoping you guys can help me out with an answer to this.

Did you get a definitive answer regarding activating or reactivating(not claiming) keys from old technet accounts AFTER the "grandfathered"/<7/16/2012 technet subscription has lapsed?

Also did you decide if it made the most sense not to renew the technet to be able to use your old keys under the old license indefintely? Many thanks.

MisterEd said:   hchen42 said:   Yes, all the keys re working. However, I haven't tried windows 8 yet. If you purchased your Technet BEFORE JULY 16 2012 the keys will not expire. Any subs purchased AFTER JULY 16 2012 the keys expire when the sub expires. They do give you an "unadvertised" couple month "grace period" to renew then they cancel it.

It is possible your already activated product will continue to function but the keys won't be able to be used on new installs or reinstalls.

Where did you get this info? I thought it was still unclear about what exactly would happen when the subscription expires since no one has gotten to that point yet.

grnigrl said:   IrishBrewer said:   What happens if you got your Technet subscription prior to July 16th when the licence keys were "perpetual"? Does that mean that if you do not renew (which would trigger a new agreement), you can keep these licenses going forever but you would just loose out on not being able to get any new keys after your licence did expire?

Just curious because this would apply to me so I'm wondering if it in my best interests not to renew so I am "granfathered" in to the terms that were in effect when I purchased.

I am hoping you guys can help me out with an answer to this.

Did you get a definitive answer regarding activating or reactivating(not claiming) keys from old technet accounts AFTER the "grandfathered"/<7/16/2012 technet subscription has lapsed?

Also did you decide if it made the most sense not to renew the technet to be able to use your old keys under the old license indefintely? Many thanks.

FYI - I hear existing installs and new activation using keys from a tech net subscription started in 2011 (that lapsed late 2012) are still working. (Windows 7 and Window 8).

namlook said:   MisterEd said:   hchen42 said:   Yes, all the keys re working. However, I haven't tried windows 8 yet. If you purchased your Technet BEFORE JULY 16 2012 the keys will not expire. Any subs purchased AFTER JULY 16 2012 the keys expire when the sub expires. They do give you an "unadvertised" couple month "grace period" to renew then they cancel it.

Where did you get this info? I thought it was still unclear about what exactly would happen when the subscription expires since no one has gotten to that point yet.
From their terms online when I signed up on July 1st.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014