• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
RadioShack.com currently has the Nexus 7 16GB in stock for $249.99. They have it with free shipping through the end of August. FW is currently offering 6% FC, so that's $14.99 off.

Since NC/SC is currently running a sales-tax free weekend (and online orders DO qualify for it, see below), I called RS support about the sales tax charge showing up in my cart. They put in a request for the sales tax exemption and I should have a credit in 24-48 hours.

Google Offers another $25 Play store credit so technically I got the Nexus 7 16GB OTD for $209.99.

Link to Nexus 7 showing in stock

Link to FatWallet: RadioShack

From the SC Department of Revenue's website:

(4) Does the "sales tax holiday" apply to sales made by mail order, Internet or similar
retailers?
Yes, provided the item sold is one qualifying for the exemption and the sale occurs
during the three days of the "sales tax holiday" as discussed in Question #3.

(14) Can retailers elect not to participate in the "sales tax holiday" and collect the sales
tax from their customers on eligible items during the three days of the "sales tax
holiday?"
No. Retailers may only "pass on" to their customers sales taxes that are legally due.

Yay, FW!

Member Summary

Nexus 7 16GB
Thanks Logician1313
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
@grambo25gc, you have to talk to a manager to get them to honor it. Their official policy is that the website doesn't p... (more)

clarke22 (Aug. 07, 2012 @ 10:22a) |

Does anyone have recommendations for good Nexus 7 cases? Or features that you like/don't like about your current case?

clarke22 (Aug. 07, 2012 @ 10:32a) |

bennor (Aug. 08, 2012 @ 7:13a) |

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

You should sign up for Google Wallet and get another $10 back.

I got a 16gb Nexus 7 from OD in Seattle this week. It was their last one and the manager rang it up and said "I think these are supposed to be $199." He then changed the price. Nice.

I did agree to add the protection plan for $50, so maybe he did it because he got the commission. I'll take it!

With the $25 credit, I paid $174.

It's just too small

ymarker said:   It's just too small

thats what she said. lol

That's what Steve Jobs said. Then he died, and magically he was in favor of a 7" device (since Apple's coming out with one).

Still bigger than your phone display.

For what?
Try reading a book w/ your ipad and notice how your wrist gets tired?
Same w/ gaming? Wrist gets tired.

This is lighter than the Nook and is a comfortable weight...roughly same as the Kindle Color. Amazon realized that people like lighter smaller tablets for ebooks a long time ago and I'm glad Google/Asus did too.
It's also a good size for gaming for the same reason and it's pretty quick w/ the Tegra processor too...

what is the $6 fee that they are adding when i add to cart using paypal?

obitwocanobe said:   what is the $6 fee that they are adding when i add to cart using paypal?

Yeah, they charge $6 even using credit card!

I tried with my Visa, Mastercard, American Express and Discover and Radio Shack charged $6 for ALL OF THEM!

Another thing, when I put the Nexus 7 in the cart, the prices changes to $255 and NOT $249.

I cancelled the order. Even though effectively I still "saved" 3%, I just don't like their practice of charging a fee that is NOT EXPLAINED anywhere on their website (I searched).

I am done with Radio Shack!

I believe charging a fee to use a VISA, etc, is against the card member agreement. Retailers can't legally do this to re-coup the processing fees. This is notoriously violated at gun shows ($100 cash, $110 credit, etc).

It's annoying and shady for a big name like Radio Shack to do this. I wish them luck but they should be careful.

coolbreeze said:   I believe charging a fee to use a VISA, etc, is against the card member agreement. Retailers can't legally do this to re-coup the processing fees. This is notoriously violated at gun shows ($100 cash, $110 credit, etc).

It's annoying and shady for a big name like Radio Shack to do this. I wish them luck but they should be careful.

It is against the agreement...but the agreement has been modified in a recent court settlement. Some states still have separate laws though (NY for example...although someone should tell the gas stations that).
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-07-13/visa-mastercard-settle-...

scoutconnor said:   coolbreeze said:   I believe charging a fee to use a VISA, etc, is against the card member agreement. Retailers can't legally do this to re-coup the processing fees. This is notoriously violated at gun shows ($100 cash, $110 credit, etc).

It is against the agreement...but the agreement has been modified in a recent court settlement. Some states still have separate laws though (NY for example...although someone should tell the gas stations that).
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-07-13/visa-mastercard-settle-...

Yep, I knew about the settlement. Retailer have to pay a "fee" to the credit card company and basically they pass that to the customer. The customer have the choice to pay cash. However, this is an ONLINE order, how else I am going to pay?

The nail in the coffin is when they raise the price from $249 to $255, even BEFORE I entered my credit card information. I just added the tablet to my card, entered my shipping address and BAAM! It's $255 PLUS another $6. So total becomes $261 sans FatWallet CashBack. This is just a bad business practice...

The 6 dollar fee is most likely because of the California Waste Recycling fee. Are any of you in California?

Tyrant504 said:   The 6 dollar fee is most likely because of the California Waste Recycling fee. Are any of you in California?

I have bought numerous tablets, since the first iPad came out all to way to the Xoom, Galaxy Tab, etc. NEVER been charged with the "Recycling" fee. That is typically for TV and monitor.

I just went to Google directly and bought the Nexus 7 - $249...NO Recycling Fee. I ended up paying more because Google charge S/H, but I rather give my money to them than Radio Shack, given my experience above.

The other benefit: 1st year warranty is taken care of by Google if you buy from them directly. All other, you deal with Asus.

I'm reading this thread on a Nexus 7 so I'm getting a kick out this.

My review - I likt it a lot, but it doesn't support flash (rather flash is not supported on jelly bean (android 4.2)). Other then that, I love it. As for size, it is the perfect portable web surfing, book reading, email getting device for me.

And I would have loved to get mine for only $250. Damn scalpers

as usual tax,and card fees and shipping slaughters the deal..ya gotta love calif, for a fee on everything...

coolbreeze said:   I got a 16gb Nexus 7 from OD in Seattle this week. It was their last one and the manager rang it up and said "I think these are supposed to be $199." He then changed the price. Nice.

I did agree to add the protection plan for $50, so maybe he did it because he got the commission. I'll take it!

With the $25 credit, I paid $174.

Lucky... I hate you

I didn't order directly from Google because they want to charge ~20 dollars+ for shipping...NO thank you. Interesting note about the 1 year warranty though.

Dell4600 said:   
... but it doesn't support flash (rather flash is not supported on jelly bean (android 4.2)).

Its worth noting that lack of Flash support can be a big deal for some.

Nexus 7 is very popular now. Many forums talking about it. I bought a one and it is so nice! Love it

Dell4600 said:   I likt it a lot, but it doesn't support flash (rather flash is not supported on jelly bean (android 4.2)).
This is incorrect. Flash IS supported under Jelly Bean and the Nexus 7. One just has to work around the fact that Adobe will not support Flash on Android 4.1, and that Google removed Flash support from Chrome on the Nexus 7.
How to Install Flash on the Nexus 7 and Other Jelly Bean Devices

Further discussions on using Flash on the Nexus 7 is discussed in various Android forums.
XDA: HOW TO Flash on Nexus 7

As to those who would like to buy the Nexus 7 but don't want to pay shipping or sales tax. There are various other sellers, like MacMall, who have free shipping and no sales tax (except for CA and IL). You can also get 2.5% Cash Back by going through MacMall.

Why did Google remove Flash support when they own youtube, which uses Flash?

Slickone said:   Why did Google remove Flash support when they own youtube, which uses Flash?

Because Adobe, the maker of Flash, STOP supporting the Flash app for Android.

Google has plan to move YouTube to the HTML 5 standards, which is better than Flash. Also, in Android devices with no Flash support, I found out that certain apps that tried to access YouTube will open the YouTube app rather than Flash in a browser, so I have no problem with having no Flash support.

The only one that gives problem is if you tried to access Amazon Prime Video, which uses Flash.

I ordered one from Radio Shack website. I called them and asked them to take the tax off since I live in SC. The sales rep put in a request to do that, but the next day, they called me saying that they would not honor that since it was ordered from their website. Did anyone else have that happen to them?

@grambo25gc, you have to talk to a manager to get them to honor it. Their official policy is that the website doesn't participate in sales tax holidays, but according to the SC Department of Revenue, they don't have a choice.

Open this link and read them Question #4 and #14. It's ILLEGAL for them to charge sales tax in SC during a sales tax holiday.

I got an email yesterday saying my sales tax credit ($15) would be issued within 5-7 business days.

Hope that helps!

Does anyone have recommendations for good Nexus 7 cases? Or features that you like/don't like about your current case?

Front
Disclaimer

Back
Disclaimer

Side
Disclaimer
clarke22 said:   Does anyone have recommendations for good Nexus 7 cases? Or features that you like/don't like about your current case?
I bought this one last week, Blurex Ultra-Slim Case for Google Nexus 7 inch Tablet -- With built in Multi-Angle Stand, for my Nexus 7. It works well, has a handhold strap and adjusts to several landscape positions. I liked this one because the case doesn't cover the front bezel like other cases do. At the time I purchased this case there was a discount code for it (no longer valid) that brought the price down to $7.60. Or if one signed up for a free trial of Amazon Prime they got a similar discount on the case as well. There are several other sellers who sell a similar case, all within the same price range. The prices seem to fluctuate from $5 or $7 up to $19 depending on the hour and day. Some offer free shipping if your not a Prime member some don't. Attached are some pictures of this case from Amazon.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014