• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
beach camera offers the Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Medium Telephoto Lens Pro Kit, model no. 2519A003, for $369. (Scroll down to add this to the cart; it's under "Value Packages".) Coupon code "BCSurfnSave15" cuts it to $354. The kit includes a Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 lens, USB 2.0 card reader, memory card wallet, microfiber cleaning cloth, gadget bag, 58mm protective filter, and lens cap keeper.
LINK

Member Summary

pic
Thanks sartor
Disclaimer
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Back in the 1970s and '80s, my Canon FD 85/1.8 was the best lens ever. I didn't even own a 55mm. It's tempting to try to relive the past.

I have this lens and I bought mine from beach camera eBay store few years ago. This is a great lens.

same base price on Amazon. coupon makes the deal better at beach.

Is the difference between EF 85mm f/1.8 USM & EF 85mm f/1.2 L significant?

machinez said:   Is the difference between EF 85mm f/1.8 USM & EF 85mm f/1.2 L significant?

In a word - Yes.

But if you're asking that, you probably don't need the L glass for 6x the price. Primary benfits are a faster lens and less optical distortion (though we're talking about primes so flaws in zooms don't come into play) at the cost of size, weight and...well...cost.

The 85mm 1.2 fits a niche, and fits it very well. Outside of that it has limited utility (imho).

I don't do enough portraits to justify adding yet another lens to my bag otherwise i'd probably pick this one up.

The 85mm 1.8 is considered one of the best bang for the buck lenses of a non-L. It has faster focusing than the 85L, is smaller and lighter, and costs a LOT less. The 85L 1.2 has faster aperture, which if you need is invaluable over the 1.8. It is also a sharper lens (due to the better/heavier glass), but how much and whether it is noticeable enough is subject to some opinion.

Bottom line, as ciscoopa said, unless you make your money from your camera or you have lots of extra money to burn, the 85L at $2,000 retail is not going to be worth it for 95%+ of the users out there.

I paid up for a used 24-70 f/2.8L
I miss taking the types of pictures with t1i & EF 50mm f1.8

Love the 5D Mark II, but it is a money pit. People say once you go L lens you won't go back. Thinking I will probably end up upgrading if I got the 85mm f/1.8. And maybe I should bit the bullet.
Been trying to justify 85mm f1.2 L and/or 70-200 f2.8 L IS, but I just can't. I'd be into this this for over 8k...

machinez said:   I paid up for a used 24-70 f/2.8L

Love the 5D Mark II, but it is a money pit. People say once you go L lens you won't go back. Thinking I will probably end up upgrading if I got the 85mm f/1.8. And maybe I should bit the bullet.
Been trying to justify 85mm f1.2 L and/or 70-200 f2.8 L IS, but I just can't. I'd be into this this for over 8k...

You don't like the 24-70 more?

BP23 said:   machinez said:   I paid up for a used 24-70 f/2.8L

Love the 5D Mark II, but it is a money pit. People say once you go L lens you won't go back. Thinking I will probably end up upgrading if I got the 85mm f/1.8. And maybe I should bite the bullet.

Don't get me wrong, the 24-70 is great. I got it as a compromise for my wife who wasn't into primes. It was the only way to upgrade to 5D Mark II. I've got my ISO cranked up to 4000 to take pictures indoors though. Nice to be able to take pictures at wider angle. Looks fine on LCD, but definitely a bit grainy on PC. the 85mm would be good at letting a bit more light in.

machinez said:   BP23 said:   machinez said:   I paid up for a used 24-70 f/2.8L

Love the 5D Mark II, but it is a money pit. People say once you go L lens you won't go back. Thinking I will probably end up upgrading if I got the 85mm f/1.8. And maybe I should bite the bullet.

Don't get me wrong, the 24-70 is great. I got it as a compromise for my wife who wasn't into primes. It was the only way to upgrade to 5D Mark II. I've got my ISO cranked up to 4000 to take pictures indoors though. Nice to be able to take pictures at wider angle. Looks fine on LCD, but definitely a bit grainy on PC. the 85mm would be good at letting a bit more light in.

I'd look into the 50/1.4 for indoor shots. And if you're going to 4000 ISO maybe it's time to investigate some speedlite techniques.

I've had the EF 85/1.8 for a bit over 12 years now. Wonderful lens. The only gotcha is to make sure you test it for focus accuracy. Being a mild telephoto with a wide aperture, it's got a razor thin depth of field wide open (some of my portraits have an eyelash in focus, but the eye out of focus). That means if the focus is the slightest bit off, it'll show up readily in your photos.

Unfortunately I got mine during the film days, and didn't notice it was slightly front-focusing (hard to see on 4x6 prints). When I switched to digital, it was blindingly obvious that most of my shots with the lens were front-focused. I sent in my other lenses to Canon for focus calibration, but the 85/1.8 was 6 months out of warranty and they wanted $75 to calibrate it. I'd pretty much replaced it with the 70-200L f/2.8 IS for portraiture, so I passed. I still pull it out every now and then for discrete portraiture (most people don't realize it's a telephoto). I just make sure to be careful and manually adjust the focus if necessary.

So test it for focus accuracy when you get it. And send it in to Canon for calibration under warranty if you find it consistently front- or back-focuses. Or if you've got one of the higher-end cameras, you'll be able to program the body with the calibration adjustment yourself.

FreeToFly said:   machinez said:   BP23 said:   machinez said:   I paid up for a used 24-70 f/2.8L

I'd look into the 50/1.4 for indoor shots. And if you're going to 4000 ISO maybe it's time to investigate some speedlite techniques.

Have 430 EX II. Wife doesn't want me to blast my son's eyes. I have a diffuser and set it to 1/16 power and bounce flash off the ceiling, in limited doses. Other than that, it is ISO 4000 indoors.

dead. Can't add it to the cart or the value package

Deal still live. Thanks OP!

Have 430 EX II. Wife doesn't want me to blast my son's eyes. I have a diffuser and set it to 1/16 power and bounce flash off the ceiling, in limited doses. Other than that, it is ISO 4000 indoors.

I have that same flash and am using a cheaper body and lens combo (Canon 60D with an 18-200 lens). I use a ceiling bounce in my admittedly low ceiling house and I've successfully taken beautifully lit pics of my sleeping 7 week old boy without waking him, no diffuser needed. For conventions and high ceiling situations, I still take the flash but I also use a flash bender without diffuser. Nice little gadget that lights up your subject pretty well without washing out detail.

If you're buying this to shoot portraits (and, really, I don't know what else you'd be doing with an 85mm prime), I would suggest looking into getting the Rokinon 85mm f/1.4 instead. Sure, the Rokinon is manual focus, but it's faster and the bokeh produced is significantly better than any affordable/non-pro AF 85mm on the market. And, if you're shooting portraits, bokeh is really important. The rokinon is razor sharp, too. As with any fast lens, it will test your manual focusing skills, but (to me) the money saved and the bokeh make it worth brushing up on your focusing skills.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014