• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Free MIT, Harvard and UC Berkeley edX Online Classes @ Edx University - Free

EdX courses are available to anyone in the world with an internet connection.  Online learners who demonstrate mastery of subjects can earn a certificate of completion. Fall 2012 classes are free.

(FatWallet Deal Hunter staff posts are certified ad-free. No money, bribes, or candy have been accepted.)

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
One easy way to accomplish the same would be to sign up for a class at your local community college; P.E. perhaps?

idfubar (Aug. 21, 2012 @ 5:40p) |

Take the AI course. Write a bot. Enroll it in the other classes.

granjero (Aug. 21, 2012 @ 7:45p) |

Thanks to OP and fatxman! I am currently taking a few from the coursera site.

JonathanC123 (Sep. 03, 2012 @ 5:58p) |

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

fatxman said:   Also checkout https://www.coursera.org/

The first link is pretty limited in offerings. I like the coursera better. It has a more diverse offering including medical.

Thanks Op and, especially, fatxman! I may take a course!

I'll take a look. thx op

I think theopenacademy has a better collection of those free online courses from most elite schools.

cool!! Just signed up

Most of the classes sound to be at a first or second year level... except that AI course. Might be interesting to try that one, even though I don't meet half of the advanced prerequisites.
I tried the Circuits and Electronics class from MITx in the spring (only class offered at the time) and it was pretty good. Interesting course and challenging for someone not previously exposed to the material, but not too tough if you do the work. Had a perfect score right up to the final where they threw in some hum-dingers.

Good one. Signed for 2 classes

Wonder if any of these classes can be used as transfer credits...

moneynomore said:   Wonder if any of these classes can be used as transfer credits...

No, not currently. At least not at accredited achools. This is what I do. I am an associate dean, professor, consultant, and speaker who specializes in online learning and the "future" of education. I also help schools and businesses design, develop, implement, and evaluate these types of online learning iniatives. Some of the main issues are with course credit, accreditation, and, quite frankly, school image.

There are some rare instances, like a class I teach, where MOOCs and other open online learning opportunies are incorporated into existing for credit courses and programs, but you would need to be enrolled at that institution as a student and pay for the course. As for what will probably happen in the future, that is a long conversation...the short of it is that the value of these types of open learning initiatives, beyond learning for learning sake, depends entirely on when/if the market decides to assign value on these earned certificates, badges, or what have you.

cool

looks awesome. Thanks!

Thanks OP!

Our university president spoke briefly about this very issue at the State of the University address last week. I understand both sides of the discussion, and I think that faculty needs to take the time to understand and be more fully engaged in the discussion about how online coursework will be treated in academia, who will teach the courses, academic rigor, course loads, classroom community and dynamics, etc.

I personally believe that there is a great deal to be learned from face to face interaction, so I have difficulty with 100% pure online degrees. Classes teach more than just content matter.

if one takes these classes simply for the sake of learning, they are great

computerquest said:   Our university president spoke briefly about this very issue at the State of the University address last week. I understand both sides of the discussion, and I think that faculty needs to take the time to understand and be more fully engaged in the discussion about how online coursework will be treated in academia, who will teach the courses, academic rigor, course loads, classroom community and dynamics, etc.

I personally believe that there is a great deal to be learned from face to face interaction, so I have difficulty with 100% pure online degrees. Classes teach more than just content matter.

if one takes these classes simply for the sake of learning, they are great

which school are you from, kid?

moneynomore said:   Wonder if any of these classes can be used as transfer credits...

Can I have my Asian slaves take the courses for me?

OP's link intrigued me so I was looking for other courses. Here are some other sites I found useful:

RefSeek's guide to educational video sites
Udacity
Search education from Google
MIT Open Courseware
The Open Academy
Open Culture's list of 500 free online courses from top universities.

Free education rocks!!

Better question, for FWers anyway, can any of these provide me with a .edu email address?

starcastic said:   Better question, for FWers anyway, can any of these provide me with a .edu email address?hmmm... Student Amazon Prime FTW!

Thanks for the links to the free classes...

KayK said:   starcastic said:   Better question, for FWers anyway, can any of these provide me with a .edu email address?hmmm... Student Amazon Prime FTW!

Stop reading my mind!!

starcastic said:   Better question, for FWers anyway, can any of these provide me with a .edu email address?

One easy way to accomplish the same would be to sign up for a class at your local community college; P.E. perhaps?

UberNoob said:   Can I have my Asian slaves take the courses for me?
Take the AI course. Write a bot. Enroll it in the other classes.

Thanks to OP and fatxman! I am currently taking a few from the coursera site.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014