• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
El Linko

The cheapest 4g phone I see is $190 but see the edit below to do it cheaper if you already have a T-Mobile 4G phone.

You can use Groove IP

and/or Vonage Mobile to get free voice on wifi or 4G since this plan has low minutes (just keep an eye on your data usage if you use these on 4G).

Edit: jbigboote reports that you can add a phone you already have but you will have to buy the cheapest phone they have available and just put the SIM card in the phone you already have...

Kayk reports that "you can buy the SIM online from TMobile website for about 99 cents.. and then activate it under the $30 plan.
I've done it and plan on doing it again tomorrow."

Walmart
See Walmart discounts that earn 2.0% FatWallet Cash Back.
Member Summary

T-Mobile Unlimited 4G Data
Thanks Neilium
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
I'm using this $30/mo plan right now, and I've had the same number on T-Mo for many years. Perhaps that's why the T-Mo C... (more)

minky (Sep. 20, 2012 @ 9:30a) |

Incorrect. You can port your number when you activate your plan.. Not sure if you can do it online but you can do it ove... (more)

KayK (Sep. 20, 2012 @ 10:01a) |

Anybody tried to port a different pre-paid Tmobile number to this plan without porting it to another service by calling ... (more)

nguyenkfw (Sep. 20, 2012 @ 11:48a) |

Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

I don't know about the concert cash part, but I got this $30/month plan by buying the cheapest T-Mobile phone they had ($20), and then using that SIM in my unlocked Nokia N8. maybe they have changed the terms, I did this when the plan was first released last year. I was able to port my telephone number as well.

jbigboote said:   I don't know about the concert cash part, but I got this $30/month plan by buying the cheapest T-Mobile phone they had ($20), and then using that SIM in my unlocked Nokia N8. maybe they have changed the terms, I did this when the plan was first released last year. I was able to port my telephone number as well.

You got the 4G data by doing this?

I like the idea of unlimited web, even though it is throttled after you use so much. To bad I cannot get a good signal in my house, otherwise I would consider this deal. Good looking out, OP!

ComputeThis said:   I like the idea of unlimited web, even though it is throttled after you use so much. To bad I cannot get a good signal in my house, otherwise I would consider this deal. Good looking out, OP!

It is for up to 5 Gigs of data BTW.

GudSpellur said:   jbigboote said:   I don't know about the concert cash part, but I got this $30/month plan by buying the cheapest T-Mobile phone they had ($20), and then using that SIM in my unlocked Nokia N8. maybe they have changed the terms, I did this when the plan was first released last year. I was able to port my telephone number as well.

You got the 4G data by doing this?


yes, 5GB of 4G, throttled to dial-up speeds (2G I believe) when you exceed it. I have only exceeded the 5GB cap one time, and it was so painful, I am more careful now. Texting is also unlimited. You only get 100 voice minutes, but that isn't really a problem for me.

ok do you have to choose from only the phones in the picture? Can I not go to WalMart and buy the Samsung Galaxy S3 and get this plan?

jbigboote said:   GudSpellur said:   jbigboote said:   I don't know about the concert cash part, but I got this $30/month plan by buying the cheapest T-Mobile phone they had ($20), and then using that SIM in my unlocked Nokia N8. maybe they have changed the terms, I did this when the plan was first released last year. I was able to port my telephone number as well.

You got the 4G data by doing this?


yes, 5GB of 4G, throttled to dial-up speeds (2G I believe) when you exceed it. I have only exceeded the 5GB cap one time, and it was so painful, I am more careful now. Texting is also unlimited. You only get 100 voice minutes, but that isn't really a problem for me.


Thanks, I will update the OP.

Litobird said:   ok do you have to choose from only the phones in the picture? Can I not go to WalMart and buy the Samsung Galaxy S3 and get this plan?

I think you should be able to do this but check with WalMart. Is the Samsung a T-Mobile 4G phone?

Doubtful you can get the Galaxy S3 because this is a prepaid plan. Unless you buy the S3 outright, they'll want you on a post-paid contract for two years.

You can buy the SIM online from TMobile website for about 99 cents.. and than activate it under the $30 plan.
I've done it and plan on doing it again tomorrow.

I think I remember some forum mentioning that you can also use this on an iPhone from AT&T if it is out of contract, or maybe unlocked but you have to trim down the sim card to the smaller size, and the data speed is limited to the Edge (amazingly slow) speed. Then I read that T-Mobile is attempting to upgrade their network so that the 3G speed will come thru on those phones. Many of you will understand the tech stuff behind this (like the frequencies of the phones involved etc) but it may become a very interesting price point.

Litobird said:   ok do you have to choose from only the phones in the picture? Can I not go to WalMart and buy the Samsung Galaxy S3 and get this plan?

You'd have to buy the unlocked version, which WalMart sells for $800. also, you'd want to be sure it had the right radios for T-Mobile. I am not even sure T-Mobile has much LTE built out at the moment, so you'd be looking at the 3G frequencies. T-Mobile uses 1700 and 2100MHz. AT&T uses 850/1900/2100MHz. You want to get one that has both 1700 and 2100.

Geez, this plan has been around for almost a year already and discussed multiple times. YOU DO NOT HAVE TO BUY A CHEAP PHONE! Just buy any T-Mo prepaid sim for $6 (sometines free) from T-Mo online or eBay & activate the plan online through the T-Mobile website. No need to deal with WalMart. No need to buy a cheap phone. I've been using it on a Galaxy Nexus for months. The plan can only be had with a new phone number (can't convert an existing account) but there are ways around it if you want the hassle.

It's the 4th one down the list here: http://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/prepaid-plans?cm_mmc_o=1zEpbE...

The problem with this plan is that it is only 100 minutes and the plan doesn't work outside the U.S.

MisterEd said:   Geez, this plan has been around for almost a year already and discussed multiple times. YOU DO NOT HAVE TO BUY A CHEAP PHONE! Just buy any T-Mo prepaid sim for $6 (sometines free) from T-Mo online or eBay & activate the plan online through the T-Mobile website. No need to deal with WalMart. No need to buy a cheap phone. I've been using it on a Galaxy Nexus for months. The plan can only be had with a new phone number (can't convert an existing account) but there are ways around it if you want the hassle.

It's the 4th one down the list here: http://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/prepaid-plans?cm_mmc_o=1zEpbE...


Did it include the $30 for some crappy pop singer in concert? If you want that it looks like you WILL have to deal with WalMart.

fatxman said:   The problem with this plan is that it is only 100 minutes and the plan doesn't work outside the U.S.

I added two apps to the OP to help with voice minutes...

Any reason why this wouldn't work in an aircard?

Logan71 said:   Any reason why this wouldn't work in an aircard? Yes

To clarify, Tmobile branded aircards and hotspots are blocked from using this plan. If you buy a 'foreign' one (ie one that works on TMobile bands but is not from TMobile, typically Canadian ones) then they WILL work.

GudSpellur said:   MisterEd said:   Geez, this plan has been around for almost a year already and discussed multiple times. YOU DO NOT HAVE TO BUY A CHEAP PHONE! Just buy any T-Mo prepaid sim for $6 (sometines free) from T-Mo online or eBay & activate the plan online through the T-Mobile website. No need to deal with WalMart. No need to buy a cheap phone. I've been using it on a Galaxy Nexus for months. The plan can only be had with a new phone number (can't convert an existing account) but there are ways around it if you want the hassle.

It's the 4th one down the list here: http://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/prepaid-plans?cm_mmc_o=1zEpbE...


Did it include the $30 for some crappy pop singer in concert? If you want that it looks like you WILL have to deal with WalMart.
Except by the time you spend the extra $15-20-$25 for the "cheap phone" just to get the sim and free $30 concert ticket which no one will use anyway you've already used up that useless "benefit." T-Mo regularly "sells" prepaid sim kits for FREE$ anyway. So why the h3ll would you spend $25 to get a free $30 ticket you won't use? Makes zero sense.

fatxman said:   The problem with this plan is that it is only 100 minutes and the plan doesn't work outside the U.S.

While you wouldn't have international mobile data with this plan (nor does any other plan come with it standard) becuase you would be using Groove IP/Google Voice, all you would need is any WiFi connection and you can dial all US numbers as normal, no matter which country you are in. No country codes, no extra SIM cards, nothing. For me since I'm usually on vacation when I'm traveling and don't want to be too connected anyway this is the perfect setup. If you are the type who needs always-on mobile data in a foreign country you could always buy a SIM when you land(make sure to double check bands of your US phone and that it's compatible with destination bands).

att and tmo are on different band. atleast on any current version of iphone running on tmo will be on edge technology.

ljderm said:   I think I remember some forum mentioning that you can also use this on an iPhone from AT&T if it is out of contract, or maybe unlocked but you have to trim down the sim card to the smaller size, and the data speed is limited to the Edge (amazingly slow) speed. Then I read that T-Mobile is attempting to upgrade their network so that the 3G speed will come thru on those phones. Many of you will understand the tech stuff behind this (like the frequencies of the phones involved etc) but it may become a very interesting price point.

ComputeThis said:   I like the idea of unlimited web, even though it is throttled after you use so much. To bad I cannot get a good signal in my house, otherwise I would consider this deal. Good looking out, OP!

I use the FoxFi app & use my phone on Tmobile pre-paid as a wifi hot spot for my Kindle Fire when I am out & about. I have high speed internet at home. I am not on the $30 plan yet, mine is $50. Have to figure a way to switch & keep my number.

pitflyer said:   To clarify, Tmobile branded aircards and hotspots are blocked from using this plan. If you buy a 'foreign' one (ie one that works on TMobile bands but is not from TMobile, typically Canadian ones) then they WILL work. Wonder about an iPad.

Does this $30 plan have free nights or weekends or free mobile to mobile ?

NightEagle said:   pitflyer said:   To clarify, Tmobile branded aircards and hotspots are blocked from using this plan. If you buy a 'foreign' one (ie one that works on TMobile bands but is not from TMobile, typically Canadian ones) then they WILL work. Wonder about an iPad.

I believe it would work on an iPad, yet you'll be limited to EDGE until their spectrum refarming project is completed. Depending on where you are, that might be a while...

NightEagle said:   pitflyer said:   To clarify, Tmobile branded aircards and hotspots are blocked from using this plan. If you buy a 'foreign' one (ie one that works on TMobile bands but is not from TMobile, typically Canadian ones) then they WILL work. Wonder about an iPad. No. Only phones. At least not on mine. They do have data plans but as others have said it's slow 2G/Edge.

Does this $30 plan have free nights or weekends or free mobile to mobile ?

No. Most prepaid plans charge for all minutes.


AT&T prepaid plans
Disclaimer
This is similar to AT&T's $50/mo all unlimited prepaid plan (voice+text+data).
p.s. I don't work for or subscribe to AT&T. I'm on Tmo. Can someone confirm if this includes 4G/LTE ?
http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/plans/prepaidplans.html

Liquid4x said:   This is similar to AT&T's $50/mo all unlimited prepaid plan (voice+text+data).
p.s. I don't work for or subscribe to AT&T. I'm on Tmo. Can someone confirm if this includes 4G/LTE ?
http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/plans/prepaidplans.html


AT&T's plans do not include data if you are using a smartphone.

Smartphone users can add a monthly data package in addition to the monthly unlimited plan for:
$25 for 1 GB
$15 for 200 MB
$5 for 50 MB
(these data package can be rolled over and do not expire at the end of the month if you keep adding another package - the cheapest one is enough to keep it going)

does prepaid pay tax just like postpaid? don't know if this has been asked before. thanks

DFW06 said:   does prepaid pay tax just like postpaid? don't know if this has been asked before. thanks There are no taxes or fees like postpaid other than your local sales tax which can be avoided by purchasing refills online. A $30 refill costs me anywhere from $27 - $30 depending on promos, discounts etc. I recently purchased a $100 (1000 min) card for $84 off eBay for my wife's phone but that doesn't come along to often.

Usually you can get a couple % off from callingmart.com. They also run 5% off promos pretty often.

1. Port your number away from your expensive post-paid carrier to Google Voice. Save a ton of money.
2. Buy a $349 unlocked Galaxy Nexus from google.com/nexus
3. Profit?
4. Profit.

It's the best deal in wireless. Overage minutes are 10 cents each. Link you GV number to your home phone (you all have Ooma, don't you?) and use your home phone instead of your precious 100 minutes. If you have a work phone, link your GV number to that and let your work pay for your calls. If you are somewhere with a phone for a few days, link your GV number to that line and save your minutes. And so on. You can use GrooveIP as mentioned before, but be prepared for serious frustration unless you are leaning up against a T-Mobile tower. It's just not reliable for voice calls (in my personal experience).

It's cheap freedom for heavy data/text users. A peek into the future of wireless, if you will.

coolbreeze said:   1. Port your number away from your expensive post-paid carrier to Google Voice. Save a ton of money.
2. Buy a $349 unlocked Galaxy Nexus from google.com/nexus
3. Profit?
4. Profit.

It's the best deal in wireless. Overage minutes are 10 cents each. Link you GV number to your home phone (you all have Ooma, don't you?) and use your home phone instead of your precious 100 minutes. If you have a work phone, link your GV number to that and let your work pay for your calls. If you are somewhere with a phone for a few days, link your GV number to that line and save your minutes. And so on. You can use GrooveIP as mentioned before, but be prepared for serious frustration unless you are leaning up against a T-Mobile tower. It's just not reliable for voice calls (in my personal experience).

It's cheap freedom for heavy data/text users. A peek into the future of wireless, if you will.



I contacted tmobile about the extra minutes. I was told there are no extra minutes on these plans. You get the 100 minutes and when you run out of those minutes you have to buy a new $30 plan.

ljderm said:   I think I remember some forum mentioning that you can also use this on an iPhone from AT&T if it is out of contract, or maybe unlocked but you have to trim down the sim card to the smaller size, and the data speed is limited to the Edge (amazingly slow) speed. Then I read that T-Mobile is attempting to upgrade their network so that the 3G speed will come thru on those phones. Many of you will understand the tech stuff behind this (like the frequencies of the phones involved etc) but it may become a very interesting price point.
explain please

i386 said:   
I contacted tmobile about the extra minutes. I was told there are no extra minutes on these plans. You get the 100 minutes and when you run out of those minutes you have to buy a new $30 plan.

Incorrect. Extra minutes are .10/each. If you have $30 for the month and you reach your 100 minutes, you will need to add more money and will be charged .10/minute for the duration of the month. They then reset on day 31, when you need to add $30 more.

So, if today 8/20, you add $40 to your account, you are good for the month and will start with a $10 credit on day 31 (if you didn't use your 100 minutes). This means that extra $10 on your account for the month, good for 100 additional minutes. You can use 200 minutes for $40. If you don't, you carry over that $10 credit, and so on.

Basically, if you reach your 100 minutes in the month, simply add money to your account and call away at 10 cents/minute. As your plan resets after the 30-day validity period, a new 100 minutes kick in, provided your account is funded. It's really easy to manage. If you want to stick to $30/month and no more, you can use data/SMS but no minutes once your 100 are exhausted. If you have extra money on your account, minute 101 will start deducting money at the rate of 10 cents/minute until that money is gone. Rise, repeat.

Source: me, a $30/month T-Mobile customer.

In case anyone didn't see MisterEd's response:
http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/1214019/m17132700/#m17...

What he said.

Skipping 30 Messages...
Anybody tried to port a different pre-paid Tmobile number to this plan without porting it to another service by calling tmobile csr on the phone?



Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014