• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Great price for a brand new lens. Used ones sell for $800.
Ebay

Member Summary

Canon 24-105 F4L
Thanks Farfisa850
Disclaimer
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

It does note that they were harvested from a kit, probably ripped out of a bunch of 5D mark III's or something. Not necessarily a bad thing, but it's not the regular box one.

I have this lens with my Canon DSLR and it is really fantastic! The price of $799 is super but make sure you look into getting some type of warranty (Squaretrade?) for peace of mind.

^ yes and no. I'll get to that later.

First, yes this is a great price. I bought mine at $1k many years ago. Great walk around lens, great to travel with. Not too big, almost a replacement to my kit lens which is the 18-55mm. Only time I pull out my kit lens is when I need the 18mm wide.

Now to the warranty related. Before I would recommend this lens, now not so much. A few months ago I started to get an error message when fully zoom out. I did a bit digging and found this lens have a flaw in it's design. The flex cable inside is bent when zooming in/out and over time it brake and disconnect the signal to the IS part located in front. I looked online and see many get this fix with Canon for around $280. The few that bought the warranty got the lens fix for around $180. And the warranty cost $100 for 1 year so it add up to around $280 anyway. I've been using this lens for over 3 years so I would have spent $300 if I were to get the warranty and still pay the $180. So for my use this warranty is not worth it.

Now who want to buy my used 24-105mm? LOL j/k My lens is just fixed and calibrated and I'll use it a bit before parting with it, I'm going to upgrade to a bigger and longer lens.

Thanks WorkerAnt.

Price has gone up...$893 at the time of this posting..

$928 now

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014