• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Starting on Sept 5, T-Mobile will offer "Unlimited Nationwide 4G Data’ feature, good as ADD-ON data feature for current and new classic and value customer, per line. It's additional $20/monthly for value and $30/monthly for classic. No hotspot or tethering feature allowed. This means all you can surf at 4G speed on your smartphone, no throttling.

Data Add-on Classic Plan Value Plan 4G Speed Allowance Details
Unlimited Nationwide 4G Data $30 $20 UNLIMITED NO THROTTLING Not compatible w/Smartphone Mobile Hotspot
Unlimited Plus 2GB $20 $10 Up to 2 GB, then throttle Compatible w/smartphone hotspot for additional charge
Unlimited Premium 5 GB $35 $25 Up to 5 GB, then throttle Free hotspot/tethering
Unlimited Ultra 10 GB $65 $55 Up to 10 GB, then throttle Free hotspot/tethering

Update: Sample Value Plan w/nationwide add-on. NO subsidized smartphone.
5 lines for $120: (2 unlimited talk/text/data with unlimited nationwide, un-throttle data) + (3 lines unlimited text, 500 minutes each, no data)
5 lines for $100: (5 lines sharing 1000 minutes, unlimited text, 2 lines with unlimited nationwide, un-throttle data, 3 lines with no data)

T-Mobile
See T-Mobile coupons that earn Up to $37.50 FatWallet Cash Back.
Member Summary

Tmobile
Thanks Wemic
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
You could just root your phone and tether without issue....

vanheve2 (Aug. 23, 2012 @ 7:43p) |

V P N

rigor (Aug. 23, 2012 @ 7:57p) |

does this apply to prepaid plans?

gokartsrus (Aug. 24, 2012 @ 1:19p) |

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Great value. Thanks MISTERCHEAP

Wondeing how much will cost for 4 lines of Sample Value Plan w/nationwide add-on. NO subsidized smartphone,
with share minutes, unlimited text, 3 lines with unlimited nationwide, un-throttle data, 1 line with no data?

Great deal OP - may have to upgrade my wife's phone to unlimited for $10 over the 2GB she has now so she can stream music on 4G instead of having to use the wifi of the restaurant below her. I picked up the 5GB with tethering about 6 months ago for the $25 rate when they were running it as a special. Kinda nice even though I never use most of it.

Green for you.

So to read this correctly...

My current 2 Unlimited Value Line plans at $49.99 each w/ 2GB data.. Can be both be upgraded for only $20.00? (or is it $40.00 for both lines).

What is interesting is I used to have Unlimited Standard Plan w/ Unlimited Data for $140/mo for 2 lines... I ended up dumping that, and buying my own phones, and not going under contract. But now they are basically raising prices way back up? I am back to $140/mo for unlimited data/voice/text, but don't have the "Benefit" of getting a subsidized phone...

How do they know if you are tethering?

fatxman said:   How do they know if you are tethering?
If you have a rooted phone, they don't and you can tether.
If you have a stock phone, the software T-Mobile has on the phone routes tethered (or Hotspot) traffic differently than the phone's own internet usage so they can track it.

chrispix99 said:   So to read this correctly...

My current 2 Unlimited Value Line plans at $49.99 each w/ 2GB data.. Can be both be upgraded for only $20.00? (or is it $40.00 for both lines).

What is interesting is I used to have Unlimited Standard Plan w/ Unlimited Data for $140/mo for 2 lines... I ended up dumping that, and buying my own phones, and not going under contract. But now they are basically raising prices way back up? I am back to $140/mo for unlimited data/voice/text, but don't have the "Benefit" of getting a subsidized phone...

It will be $10 more per line if you are on a Value plan. So your total would be $120 for Unlimited vs $100 for 2Gb for 2 lines.

chrispix99 said:   So to read this correctly...

If my math is right, the base plan for unlimited talk and text with 2GB data is $100 (from the website), and it is $10 more over that for each for for unlimited data, so it should be $120 per month on the value plan. You don't get tethering with it, but for unlimited data, that's still pretty sweet.

Just try it out and if it works then they don't know. If it doesn't work, assuming they know.

T-Mobile is really getting agressive with pricing as of late. I see that as a good thing because if their service suits you, you are looking at about 1/2 of what the other carriers charge. With LTE being rolled out over the next year and with current HSPSA+ service levels (I get about 9MB/S through T-Mobile 4G right now) I think that if they play their cards right, they will be the service to beat in the future! They offer a wide variety of plans and the BYOD post-paid plans are a killer!

they can detect tethering, by inspecting your outbound http headers. they will redirect you to a hotspot webpage. i have experienced this many times, though sporadically, tethering to my unlocked galaxy nexus on the $30 prepaid plan. however it's relatively easy to get around by spoofing a different browser user-agent from your desktop browser. but i wonder if with this plan they will start to lock that down

I'm one year into a 2-yr contract. Four lines (Two with 1000 minutes / unlimited text / unlimited data [2GB then throttle], and two with 1000 minutes / unlimited text, no data).
All have the 50mb hard roaming cap.

So, could I upgrade only my line to unlimited data? I've been getting throttled, but it is not a problem for my wife.

Would I have to sign a new contract?

I have an unlocked Samsung Galaxy Nexus on T-Mobile. I tether but don't pay for tethering.

But how long are they going to be in business?
As soon as they get permission to be bought out by ATT the contracts will be void.

what if you're not in a 4g area do you have any data at all? does it charge if it falls back to 3g/2g?

So can you get this with a family plan?

I tried to get to tmo and site is getting hammered.

UberNoob said:   But how long are they going to be in business?
As soon as they get permission to be bought out by ATT the contracts will be void.
The justice department blocked the merger. The buyout is dead.

So I am lost... For $30 I get unlimited data? Who would buy their 5GB or 10GB data plans? They are $35/$65 respectively

Doesn't start until Sept. 5.

This deal is good, if you dont tethering, i do tethering all day long with my $10 plans.

fatxman said:   So I am lost... For $30 I get unlimited data? Who would buy their 5GB or 10GB data plans? They are $35/$65 respectively
People who want hotspot or tethering, but don't root their phones. Most people are on their 2Gb plan now, T-Mobile is expecting most to spend $10 more and go to this.

Remember, the point of this is to look (much) better than Sprint, Verizon, and AT&T. Now the only other option for Unlimited (Sprint) is more expensive.

selaromhsoj said:   what if you're not in a 4g area do you have any data at all? does it charge if it falls back to 3g/2g?

Its Unlimited Data....it doesn't matter what speed as long as you are in T-Mobile coverage. They just add 4G everywhere as a marketing tactic.

I've had the $20 for 5GB plan, and I'm yet to go over even 2.5 GB, and that is only when I tether to my iPad to watch Netflix...

I think T-Mobile has been the way to go lately - as long as you live in an area where they have coverage. Here I get up to 14 MBps on their HSPA+ - more than 2X of my "Elite" DSL line. I had them for 2 years, then they sent me a no strings attached email - essentially a $200 rebate off any phone! I called, got the SGS III with $100 off + $10 off per month x 24 months + $200 rebate! In the end, my bill went down by $15 per month, and got a 32GB SGS III for $29! Then they screwed up my order a little bit, got 1 month of free data + $10 off x 6 months! Can't beat that, especially when my friends with their iPhones are paying upwards of $100 per month.

They don't have to throttle you. When there are too many people on the cell network, your data speed will automatically be congested. I have experienced this quite often now when I go to shopping mall area. It takes forever to open a webpage. On top of that T-Mobile 4G is not everywhere, if it is the case you will have Edge. Even if you are in a 4G cover area but the signal is not strong enough, your phone will pick up Edge.

Lithdoc, can you send me a copy of the email, I just brought one from T-Mobile yesterday, but I didn't get $200 rebate off any phone.

I was put on an "Even More Plus" plan (200 minutes, unlimited text and 30mb data, which I can't use with my phone), after complaining about a week ago. I was told by two different reps two different answers as to if I could add unlimited data. I will find out for sure in September.

Does the unlimited 4g Data plan apply to mobile hotspot device?

volcs said:   I'm one year into a 2-yr contract. Four lines (Two with 1000 minutes / unlimited text / unlimited data [2GB then throttle], and two with 1000 minutes / unlimited text, no data).
All have the 50mb hard roaming cap.

So, could I upgrade only my line to unlimited data? I've been getting throttled, but it is not a problem for my wife.

Would I have to sign a new contract?

If I remember right from when I upgraded, no, you don't have to renew/get a new contract. They let you adjust the amount of data that you use month to month without extending contract. As long as you stay above what you originally signed up for I think you are okay.

I'm actually somewhat curious about the roaming data cap also, but I doubt they will increase it. They imposed that cap to cut their costs from AT&T - probably why they are offering the cheap unlimited data plan now.

sfchew said:   Does the unlimited 4g Data plan apply to mobile hotspot device?

No. And Yes. You can use the unlimited 4G data plan on a device that has hotspot capabilities (most smartphones now), but you WILL NOT be able to use the hotspot feature with the unlimited data plan. You have to go with either the 5GB or 10Gb plans to get the tethering/hotspot feature unless you root or use a 3rd party app for it - and that is definitely YMMV.

PdaNet tethering software provides a 'hide tethering' option for non-rooted phones.

fatxman said:   How do they know if you are tethering?

There are several ways they can tell if you are tethering. If they see the header from a "desktop" browser being sent, they might assume you are tethering but it could be legitimate cell phone use as some people modify the browser to send headers mimicking a desktop browser so they don't get the mobile form of the website. There are other characteristics of the data stream that would make it look like you are tethering. So far, reports of carriers using these techniques are not totally trustworthy so you may or may not be safe.

Great deal if they stay true to their word.

No hotspot of tethering? Let me worry about what my phone can or can't do.

vanheve2 said:   selaromhsoj said:   what if you're not in a 4g area do you have any data at all? does it charge if it falls back to 3g/2g?

Its Unlimited Data....it doesn't matter what speed as long as you are in T-Mobile coverage. They just add 4G everywhere as a marketing tactic.

that's what i'm wondering about, because I've seen these unlimited 4g data plans before, but they always had a separate limit for 3g (5gb usually) so I'm wondering if that is the case here too.

selaromhsoj said:   vanheve2 said:   selaromhsoj said:   what if you're not in a 4g area do you have any data at all? does it charge if it falls back to 3g/2g?

that's what i'm wondering about, because I've seen these unlimited 4g data plans before, but they always had a separate limit for 3g (5gb usually) so I'm wondering if that is the case here too.

I doubt there is a separate limit for 3G data, but I'm sure there will be a cap on roaming (AT&T) data as there currently is on all the other plans. Per T-mo site:

Current Rate Plan Full Speed Data Allotment
New Domestic Off Network (Roaming) Data Limit

1MB to 199MB
5MB limit

200MB to 1.99GB
10MB limit

2GB to 4.99GB
50MB limit

5GB to 9.99GB
100MB limit

10GB and above
200MB limit

Tethering is the only reason I even consider getting this. Way to go T-Mobile, cripple the feature.

WorkerAnt said:   Tethering is the only reason I even consider getting this. Way to go T-Mobile, cripple the feature.

You could just root your phone and tether without issue....

abscess said:   they can detect tethering, by inspecting your outbound http headers. they will redirect you to a hotspot webpage. i have experienced this many times, though sporadically, tethering to my unlocked galaxy nexus on the $30 prepaid plan. however it's relatively easy to get around by spoofing a different browser user-agent from your desktop browser. but i wonder if with this plan they will start to lock that down

V P N

does this apply to prepaid plans?

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014