• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Newegg has the Foxconn AMD E-350 APU wit AMD Radeon HD 6310 White Mini / Booksize Barebone System for $154.99 and you get a free OCZ 60GB SSD w/ purchase. Shipping is $7.56. It may be time for me to build a new HTPC.

Newegg
Need a Newegg coupon that earns 2.0% FatWallet Cash Back?
Member Summary

Foxconn Nettop PC & 60GB SSD
Thanks VBMcGB
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
Nevermind - dumb question - retracted.

jmace57 (Aug. 30, 2012 @ 12:08p) |

Hey Guy, I recently purchased one of these NetTops and now I have no use for it . I have one of these units with 4Gig's ... (more)

TechSavvyIT (Sep. 03, 2012 @ 7:08a) |

alamo11 (Sep. 22, 2012 @ 5:15p) |

Foxconn (nt-A3500-0h0WWAEQB) Booksize Barebone System w/ AMD E-350 Dual Core & Free 60GB OCZ SSD

Product Details:
AMD E-350 Dual Core (1.6GHz, 1MB Cache)
AMD Radeon HD 6310 Graphics
Up to 4GB DDR3 800 RAM
Gigabit Ethernet
2 x USB 3.0 Ports
DVI & HDMI Ports
Wireless N
2-Year Limited Warranty
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

This is going to sound pretty silly to you Techie types, but could you install Win 98 on a SSD machine like this? I do of course have the full version disk.

There's also the Intel version Foxconn nT535-0h0w-B-A-NA Intel NM10 1 x 204Pin Intel GMA 3150 Mini / Booksize Barebone System, with the same price and same SSD offer.

If you have the Shoprunner, save $7.56 for shipping.

ljderm said:   This is going to sound pretty silly to you Techie types, but could you install Win 98 on a SSD machine like this? I do of course have the full version disk.This begs the question.. why on earth would you want to install windows 98?

ljderm said:   This is going to sound pretty silly to you Techie types, but could you install Win 98 on a SSD machine like this? I do of course have the full version disk.
SSD won't be a problem but you probably won't find drivers for network controllers, video, audio and other devices.

KayK said:   This begs the question.. why on earth would you want to install windows 98?
No it does NOT

zSandman said:   ljderm said:   This is going to sound pretty silly to you Techie types, but could you install Win 98 on a SSD machine like this? I do of course have the full version disk.
SSD won't be a problem but you probably won't find drivers for network controllers, video, audio and other devices.

Also no trim with 98 and it will not align the partitions correctly either so performance will suffer.

ljderm said:   This is going to sound pretty silly to you Techie types, but could you install Win 98 on a SSD machine like this? I do of course have the full version disk.

I would advise against it. I still have one machine with win 98 that I use as a file server and, although it is stable and very fast, there are no drivers made for it anymore. Also, it will not run most newer programs.

Good Luck!
SteveG

secstate said:   ...Also no trim with 98 and it will not align the partitions correctly either so performance will suffer.

Trim is a little overrated. I have machines running w/o trim that are fine.

Partition alignment is important, but that can easily (ok, not real easily) be done manually.

SteveG

Will these nettops have enough horsepower to simply run utorrent, and feed mysql to my other xbmc boxes on my network?

which one is the best to run XBMC (for media center use only)??? Newegg has a bunch of this deal... any suggestion?

The AMD coupled with the Radeon 6310 is a better performer than the Atom however it may run a little hotter.

sgogo said:   ljderm said:   This is going to sound pretty silly to you Techie types, but could you install Win 98 on a SSD machine like this? I do of course have the full version disk.
...I still have one machine with win 98 that I use as a file server and, although it is stable and very fast, there are no drivers made for it anymore. Also, it will not run most newer programs.
SteveG

A couple of the most popular uses for old Win98 boxes are file servers (Win98 is "limited" to 256 connections vs XP,Vista,7's 10 connections) and telephony apps (voicemail, fax servers, etc). I run across them more often than not.

Personally, I'd just install one of the various Linux servers (like SME Server which is super easy to use).

the amd system is better than the atom . esp. since same price.

also the e-350 has way better GPU

both are dogs.

sandybridge based celeron laptops are 00$ and over 2x as fast and come with everything you need (hdmi out, hdd, memory)
and you can use it as a laptop too.

might consider this instead esp if you need a laptop occasionally.

BigWhy said:   which one is the best to run XBMC (for media center use only)??? Newegg has a bunch of this deal... any suggestion?
That comes down to what content you are going to try to play with it. 720p should be no problem with any of these.

Whenever I hear Foxconn, I think of factories with nets to catch employees trying to commit suicide.

KayK said:   ljderm said:   This is going to sound pretty silly to you Techie types, but could you install Win 98 on a SSD machine like this? I do of course have the full version disk.This begs the question.. why on earth would you want to install windows 98?

I have one old program that will not run on Win XP or later. Keeping the Win 98 machine as a file server for that program and the software that runs it. Other XP computers can process the data that are networked to the 98 machine, but when that HD fails, and it surely will, I want something to use again. Granted I could get an old IDE HD, but was looking for another newer option. Speed is not the issue.

Thanks for the comments.

ljderm said:   KayK said:   ljderm said:   This is going to sound pretty silly to you Techie types, but could you install Win 98 on a SSD machine like this? I do of course have the full version disk.This begs the question.. why on earth would you want to install windows 98?

I have one old program that will not run on Win XP or later. Keeping the Win 98 machine as a file server for that program and the software that runs it. Other XP computers can process the data that are networked to the 98 machine, but when that HD fails, and it surely will, I want something to use again. Granted I could get an old IDE HD, but was looking for another newer option. Speed is not the issue.

Thanks for the comments.

You're better off running win98 within a virtual machine on Win7 or Linux

Is there an operating system on it? It doesn't say anything in product description

ljderm said:   I have one old program that will not run on Win XP or later. Keeping the Win 98 machine as a file server for that program and the software that runs it. Other XP computers can process the data that are networked to the 98 machine, but when that HD fails, and it surely will, I want something to use again. Granted I could get an old IDE HD, but was looking for another newer option. Speed is not the issue.

Thanks for the comments.

Grab an IDE to SATA converter and use something like DD to copy over everything so you don't have to worry about a failure, at least not in the "I have to replace my computer" sense. You could also try a virtual machine as was mentioned, but it depends on what that program does and may not work depending on the circumstances.

How much RAM does it come with?

What an awful product description. It says so little.

bare bones system. needs ram. needs os. comes with the ssd for a drive.

No memory comes with it. It's a barebone. You have to buy RAM and HDD.

I bought one 6 month ago (AMD E350, 2GB RAM, 320GB HDD).

720p => check.
1080p =>80% OK(CPU pushed to 90%).
Netflix => Can't steam HD (Not hardware's fault, Netflix don't support DXVA)
Firefox, chrome...etc. =>A little slow.
Heat? => 75C-85C => very hot...
Gaming=> no....but I am able to play League of Legends at 15-20 FPS.

You can add ram up to 8GB but it's pointless on this min-pc. SSD can help a litte but the bottle neck is CPU.

WIN7 Index
CPU 3.8 RAM 5.6 Aero 4.0 Gaming 5.4 HDD 5.9

I sold my build on the CL (Lost about $15) then switch to a new build (i3 2120T, 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD + 1TB HDD).

ragedogg69 said:   Will these nettops have enough horsepower to simply run utorrent, and feed mysql to my other xbmc boxes on my network?

Yes for running utorrent and feeding to xbmc, but I'm not completely sure of mysql here?

I have an existing HTPC running Win7 Media Center, Silicon Dust HDHomeRun. I need another something in another room to get live TV (via wifi/hdhomerun) and watch recorded shows from the existing living room HTPC (via wifi/Win7 media sharing/homegroups). Does this pack enough punch to be able to do that?

For those questioning the ability of this. I have the black foxconn nettop with the same CPU. It DOES pack enough punch. The CPU can handle 720p, but if you want to watch 1080p you need to ensure you have the right codecs installed. I fought to get Sharky007's codecs installed (and there is a way), but I instead did this...
INSTALLED XBMC!!! Problem solved! I can play my Ceton tuner's tv channels (from my other server/HTPC), and I can watch MKV 1080p movies!!

This thing is a SWEET DEAL!!

The Free SSD has $10 rebate going on, Can we avail that as well?

zoid99 said:   Newegg has the Foxconn AMD E-350 APU wit AMD Radeon HD 6310 White Mini / Booksize Barebone System for $154.99 and you get a free OCZ 60GB SSD w/ purchase. Shipping is $7.56. It may be time for me to build a new HTPC.

Thanks. Apparently, there's a $10 rebate you can get.
http://images10.newegg.com/uploadfilesfornewegg/rebate/SH/OCZ5MI...

lyeinyoureye said:   ljderm said:   I have one old program that will not run on Win XP or later. Keeping the Win 98 machine as a file server for that program and the software that runs it. Other XP computers can process the data that are networked to the 98 machine, but when that HD fails, and it surely will, I want something to use again. Granted I could get an old IDE HD, but was looking for another newer option. Speed is not the issue.

Thanks for the comments.

Grab an IDE to SATA converter and use something like DD to copy over everything so you don't have to worry about a failure, at least not in the "I have to replace my computer" sense. You could also try a virtual machine as was mentioned, but it depends on what that program does and may not work depending on the circumstances.

Sadly, my computer was forced restart (I hate MS!!!) during a D-to-D copy. Almost lose a 2T HDD...

wkentw said:   I have an existing HTPC running Win7 Media Center, Silicon Dust HDHomeRun. I need another something in another room to get live TV (via wifi/hdhomerun) and watch recorded shows from the existing living room HTPC (via wifi/Win7 media sharing/homegroups). Does this pack enough punch to be able to do that?

According to Silicon Dust's website, E & Atom have both got reports about not capable for decoding.

However, it also said CPU with 2 cores or more and with hardware acceleration should be OK.

Even my 8 years old Dell Dimension played HD videos. So I'll give it a chance.

papajoker said:   wkentw said:   I have an existing HTPC running Win7 Media Center, Silicon Dust HDHomeRun. I need another something in another room to get live TV (via wifi/hdhomerun) and watch recorded shows from the existing living room HTPC (via wifi/Win7 media sharing/homegroups). Does this pack enough punch to be able to do that?

According to Silicon Dust's website, E & Atom have both got reports about not capable for decoding.

However, it also said CPU with 2 cores or more and with hardware acceleration should be OK.

E-350's GPU should be able to... just not the CPU portion alone. I have one of these, never had a problem watching HD video on it.

asuka said:   papajoker said:   wkentw said:   I have an existing HTPC running Win7 Media Center, Silicon Dust HDHomeRun. I need another something in another room to get live TV (via wifi/hdhomerun) and watch recorded shows from the existing living room HTPC (via wifi/Win7 media sharing/homegroups). Does this pack enough punch to be able to do that?

E-350's GPU should be able to... just not the CPU portion alone. I have one of these, never had a problem watching HD video on it.

I believe I have the black version of this nettop. Haven't had any issues with HDHomeRun, but then again I don't use it much. The HDHomeRun is only sending 1080i or 720p out, so it would be hard to fathom this unit having problems with it.

note: My nettop is running off a SSD, so that may be why I have no issues.

I heard you have to grease the CPU once every 6 months on win 98. Perhaps other techies can confirm this.

sgogo said:   secstate said:   ...Also no trim with 98 and it will not align the partitions correctly either so performance will suffer.

Trim is a little overrated. I have machines running w/o trim that are fine.

Partition alignment is important, but that can easily (ok, not real easily) be done manually.

SteveG

Would this be a good computer for my medical office...staff just need basic internet, some scanning and minimal document management?

The AMD version only supports 4 GB maximum memory and the atom supports for 4gb gigabytes as well. The AMD Nettop gives you USB 3.0 slots the other one does not. I choose the amd. I hope that xbmcbuntu xbmc(live) will use hardware acceleration.

This really is such an insanely awesome deal that I'm feeling INCLINED to buy another to use as a thin client or something!!

mvpatel said:   Would this be a good computer for my medical office...staff just need basic internet, some scanning and minimal document management?
you want the proliant microserver - ecc memory - ability to use p400/p410 real raid controllers - hot pluggable drives (with p400/p410) - esxi 5 and hyper-v compatible.

This is a great deal but you don't need video and want to run 8-16GB of ECC ram and you could run a small office (everything) off one server under 75 watts.

not bad for a htpc but how is it going to handle h.265 in a year or so?

rigor said:   mvpatel said:   Would this be a good computer for my medical office...staff just need basic internet, some scanning and minimal document management?
you want the proliant microserver - ecc memory - ability to use p400/p410 real raid controllers - hot pluggable drives (with p400/p410) - esxi 5 and hyper-v compatible.

This is a great deal but you don't need video and want to run 8-16GB of ECC ram and you could run a small office (everything) off one server under 75 watts.

not bad for a htpc but how is it going to handle h.265 in a year or so?

I think he means just for front desk use as workstation using something like practicefusion instead of a data server, which I think this should be just fine.

asuka said:   papajoker said:   wkentw said:   I have an existing HTPC running Win7 Media Center, Silicon Dust HDHomeRun. I need another something in another room to get live TV (via wifi/hdhomerun) and watch recorded shows from the existing living room HTPC (via wifi/Win7 media sharing/homegroups). Does this pack enough punch to be able to do that?

Does anyone have real world experience about video performance, conparing this one (AMD + Raedon) and AcerRevo (Atom + ION)? Thanks.

Skipping 26 Messages...

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014