2012 Black Friday T-Shirt Contest

Archived From: Hot Deals
  • 123 4 513
  • Page
  • Text Only
MVP9596 said:   FrugalFreak said:   MVP9596 said:   lordoffire said:   Judging by the lack of response, I'm going to assume FW has gone the Congressional way on this, as I suspected....

My understanding is that the way the voting gallery works has been completely redone, to address the issues that cropped up last year. This is based on the feedback from last years contest, and hopefully it will be more clear that the designs are NOT in order of the number of votes they received.

To address your point about a lack of response, you asked your question on a Saturday, and I didn't see until this morning. I'm reasonably sure Heather didn't see it over the weekend either.

I think what he is asking also is, will the voted shirt be overridden for something fatwallet determines as more in line with what fatwallet wants rather than the design voters vote for?

or is it "We will go with what voters decide" or "We will go with what voters decide, Unless we decide what we really want something else on the shirt."?

Every year the shirt winner is the one that had the most votes, so that will not change.

Now that that has been answered, let's keep this years thread focused on this years designs. Once again, folks are submitting some really cool designs. Keep them coming!

No, it has not been answered. As he guessed, the main issue was not the way things were setup/designed (it should not show votes, period...and there should only be one display choice, random) but the fact that the "winner" was the one with the least amount of creativity, planning, or skill involved. Someone posted a screenshot of the number of votes shortly before closing and it was VERY obvious who the winner should have been.

Why were repeated requests from multiple users for final numbers from last year were completely ignored??

Was it supposed to be some kind of secret? The contest was over...there was no reason to cover anything up.

If the staff is going to pick the design, fine. But at least say so and don't lead people on with a "contest".

FrugalFreak said:   Good Luck Everyone!

I love this Contest because it lets me combine my two favorite things, Design and Fatwallet.

Thanks for all your awesome designs. Is this design your original work or is it clipart? http://www.fatwallet.com/static/attachments/208281_smashedsmall....

Thanks,
Heather

in the bag
Disclaimer
OK, I'll give it a shot. Since I stink at design, if you like the idea, feel free to jazz it up however (who knows, maybe it's not even a new idea)

AJR said:   OP - In the design guidelines it states:

Entry must be submitted as a single JPG or PNG file and the resolution must be clear enough to print. Image files below 100MB will be sent back for revision.

You state "Image files below 100MB" - is that supposed to be 100KB? No one is submitting large files right now - I see 25kb to 250kb images. And to upload a 100MB image here would probably timeout the web browser. Mine have been reduced to 800x800 pixels and about 120kb for easy download and viewing for voting, but the original is much much larger in Photoshop. When/where do you want the larger files submitted? Is that only required of the winner upon submission for printing?

Just a few questions in the pursuit of knowledge and savings...

Thanks! I'm checking on this and will get back to you. I was posting this requirement based on a recommendation I received. As for now, please upload the highest resolution file you have please.

lordoffire said:   MVP9596 said:   FrugalFreak said:   MVP9596 said:   lordoffire said:   Judging by the lack of response, I'm going to assume FW has gone the Congressional way on this, as I suspected....

My understanding is that the way the voting gallery works has been completely redone, to address the issues that cropped up last year. This is based on the feedback from last years contest, and hopefully it will be more clear that the designs are NOT in order of the number of votes they received.

To address your point about a lack of response, you asked your question on a Saturday, and I didn't see until this morning. I'm reasonably sure Heather didn't see it over the weekend either.

I think what he is asking also is, will the voted shirt be overridden for something fatwallet determines as more in line with what fatwallet wants rather than the design voters vote for?

or is it "We will go with what voters decide" or "We will go with what voters decide, Unless we decide what we really want something else on the shirt."?

Every year the shirt winner is the one that had the most votes, so that will not change.

Now that that has been answered, let's keep this years thread focused on this years designs. Once again, folks are submitting some really cool designs. Keep them coming!

No, it has not been answered. As he guessed, the main issue was not the way things were setup/designed (it should not show votes, period...and there should only be one display choice, random) but the fact that the "winner" was the one with the least amount of creativity, planning, or skill involved. Someone posted a screenshot of the number of votes shortly before closing and it was VERY obvious who the winner should have been.

Why were repeated requests from multiple users for final numbers from last year were completely ignored??

Was it supposed to be some kind of secret? The contest was over...there was no reason to cover anything up.

If the staff is going to pick the design, fine. But at least say so and don't lead people on with a "contest".

LOF, I appreciate your passion, I truly do. However, you're seeing a conspiracy that simply isn't there. Because of the feedback from last year's contest, we've changed how it will work for this year's. All images will have equal billing, and there will not be a way to sort by hottest, etc.

I understand you think we gamed it. It's simply not true, no matter what you choose to believe.

I have design skills! Can I steal your catch phrase?

MVP9596 said:   LOF, I appreciate your passion, I truly do. However, you're seeing a conspiracy that simply isn't there. Because of the feedback from last year's contest, we've changed how it will work for this year's. All images will have equal billing, and there will not be a way to sort by hottest, etc.

I understand you think we gamed it. It's simply not true, no matter what you choose to believe.

Then release the votes, at least the numbers, from last year.

I know I was no where near winning, it's not about that.
It's just one more organization that can't seem to be transparent with it's own supporters.

neon
Disclaimer
HeatherS4 said:   AJR said:   OP - In the design guidelines it states:

Entry must be submitted as a single JPG or PNG file and the resolution must be clear enough to print. Image files below 100MB will be sent back for revision.

You state "Image files below 100MB" - is that supposed to be 100KB? No one is submitting large files right now - I see 25kb to 250kb images. And to upload a 100MB image here would probably timeout the web browser. Mine have been reduced to 800x800 pixels and about 120kb for easy download and viewing for voting, but the original is much much larger in Photoshop. When/where do you want the larger files submitted? Is that only required of the winner upon submission for printing?

Just a few questions in the pursuit of knowledge and savings...

Thanks! I'm checking on this and will get back to you. I was posting this requirement based on a recommendation I received. As for now, please upload the highest resolution file you have please.

The high resolution files are getting error messages on displaying. I made a post earlier about it.

Daily Dishing
Disclaimer

king of deals
Disclaimer
winner

* I was Instructed to do one reply per design as was everyone else. Sorry if the multiple posts offend, wasn't my choice.

with logo!
Disclaimer

bf12
Disclaimer
a couple possibilities...

One for my dear little brother
Disclaimer
Good luck to everyone!
This is my first attempt. Just for fun.

Glad to see some people just having fun! I think sometimes we all get way to serious! There is nothing sinister going on here! I think sometimes we are all a bit zealous to win! But lets remember the true root of why this contest has worked is because is about spreading the word for a site that brings us all together! Let's just say it's about Thanks and Giving! But most of all, let's not fight, but rather agree to disagree! Now get back to posting more of those great designs!!!

Glad to see some people just having fun! I think sometimes we all get way to serious! There is nothing sinister going on here! I think sometimes we are all a bit zealous to win! But lets remember the true root of why this contest has worked is because is about spreading the word for a site that brings us all together! Let's just say it's about Thanks and Giving! But most of all, let's not fight, but rather agree to disagree! Now get back to posting more of those great designs!!!

knov87 said:   One for the lady
Nice design.I am lovin this.

Black Friday T Shirt
Disclaimer
I love Cash Back & Hot Deals

darkside back
Disclaimer
Darkside back

frugal back
Disclaimer
Frugal back

outage back
Disclaimer
Outage back

FATWALLET TSHIRT OFFICIAL DEAL FINDER
Disclaimer
OFFICIAL DEAL FINDER

FATWALLET LOVE AND HAPPINESS
Disclaimer
FATWALLET LOVE AND HAPPINESS

replacement
Disclaimer
Another slogan...

Sanbabe12, you might want to reread the design guidelines.

• Designs may not include gradients, drop shadows, or glow effects. (They count as more colors to the printers.)

FWPriceless
Disclaimer
Here's mine.

stocking
Disclaimer
My last submission.. I promise.

t-shirt 2012
Disclaimer
my best attempt using Excel....will modify if needed.

Personally, I like it. But I'm a girl... and understand your thought process that it should be unisex.

my design
Disclaimer
Here's my design. I'm just being honest.

shirt
Disclaimer
Just reposting my design as you asked!

Stores fear me - design on gray background - 5
Disclaimer
Stores fear me

10/15/2012 - minor edit to artwork. Ready for gallery.

fw style
Disclaimer
op, op, op, op-op,

Bronkman said:   my best attempt using Excel....will modify if needed.You missed OT?

Spooky!
Disclaimer

Spooky v.2.0
Disclaimer
Another Entry

Front
Disclaimer

Back
Disclaimer
I love BF T-Shirt design season.

Entry 1

EDIT: I guess you could swap front and back, wouldn't matter too much.

Sorry

Deals that Begin
Disclaimer
Thanks for the promotion.

***Is the FW staff allowed to vote in this contest? Just wondering. Things may get skewed if voting is close between two designs.

The secrecy of the voting from last year - reminds me of a certain someone refusing to provide past tax returns. That sort of move (or lack there of) provides for conspiracy theories to spawn. It also allows for some creative members to think that their effort will be overlooked, so they may end up not participating. Also, some designs are straight rip-offs of already existing designs - I have noticed this with the design of 2 years ago and also last year. Originality has been trumped in both cases. That is more of what my lingering qualm is still about, which is pulling me from participating this year - which ends up not looking good for the site we prop up with our participation.

lordoffire said:   MVP9596 said:   LOF, I appreciate your passion, I truly do. However, you're seeing a conspiracy that simply isn't there. Because of the feedback from last year's contest, we've changed how it will work for this year's. All images will have equal billing, and there will not be a way to sort by hottest, etc.

Then release the votes, at least the numbers, from last year.

I know I was no where near winning, it's not about that.
It's just one more organization that can't seem to be transparent with it's own supporters.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014