• Text Only
Hi RegUSpatoff,

The two orders that you listed...

eBay # 280879399978 $ 5.69 ea = the merchant selling the lights was TomTop

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006E0QAFY/ = who was the merchant? I know BBQ is in the title, and Amazon is the website, but who did you place the order with?

Lots of merchants selling on that landing page.

t60 said:   It looks like there is another product ID being sold that is a set of two instead, and there are some that are eligible for prime for just a few cents more ($10.95 for two):
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B006VPPERC

They are probably single mode, but if you don't care, it may be worth it just to get it into your hands sooner.

BTW, this vendor sent me only one flashlight, not two, and they were different from previous Tom Top ones, in that the clicker switch won't allow the use of a 14500 battery. Major Fail!!! Returned to Amazon.

I have bought seven of these exact lights, in two separate orders from Amazon, one from seller "FordEx Group" / "BestDeal777" and one from "BBQbuy". All were identical, and took about a couple of weeks to arrive. My findings:

1. They are three-mode UltraFire Sipik SK68 clones. There is a high mode, a medium that I'd estimate at one quarter max brightness, and a relatively useless strobe mode.

2. The high mode is far brighter than 80 lumens, even on AA.

3. The zoom feature is very useful. No doughnuts in flood mode a la Maglites, and when zoomed all the way in the throw is incredible for five bucks and change.

4. They are not waterproof, and not even close. Water resistant to some degree, sure.

5. I don't believe these are the same ones as at Meritline, which IIRC sells actual one-mode SK68 lights (of which I also have three). These are better due to the three modes and comparable build and specs, not to mention price.

This is the best deal in a small non-waterproof flashlight I've seen. I'm also partial to the smaller iTP EOS A3, a better-built AAA light that is waterproof and has three great modes, but runs about $20.

I don't have any 14500 batteries yet. Is there still a medium/low mode running on 14500s?

Are these 3-mode flashlights the same size as single-modes?

Yes, they are the same form factor as all SK68 clones.

GeorgeT said:   Hi RegUSpatoff,

The two orders that you listed...

eBay # 280879399978 $ 5.69 ea = the merchant selling the lights was TomTop

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006E0QAFY/ = who was the merchant? I know BBQ is in the title, and Amazon is the website, but who did you place the order with?

Lots of merchants selling on that landing page.

Happy Mart(Ships From HongKong)
don't seem to be three-mode
(or I'm doing somthing wrong)
Does have o-rings

android said:    It looks like there is another product ID being sold that is a set of two they ...
were different from previous Tom Top ones, in that the clicker switch won't allow the use of a 14500 battery

what does the Switch have to do with the use of 14500 battery ?
(same size as a AA)

GeorgeT said:   Just got my 14500 batteries and charger from DX. The batteries arrived fully charged. As much as I like my little $6 flashlight, it does chew through the AA battery within 1 hour of use. This is why I wanted to get rechargeable batteries. I use mine at least 10 times a day at work, and I have another at home that I use when I'm walking my doggie.

With a fresh AA, the flashlight is plenty bright, but with the 14500, it's just plain crazy. Woman will want you, and men will want to be your friend. Even if the charge only last for 20 minutes, you will be a flashlight God during that time.

P.S. My light only has one mode. "AWESOME"

How long does the 14500 batteries last?
Also, I've been running AA rechargeable in my lights, since I've got a bunch from my camera equipment.

I'm still not sure how long the 14500's charge last. When I first got the batteries they were charged from the factory so I put them in the flashlights and used them. The light at work may have a total time of 10 minutes and it is still working. The light I use at home died probably after 20 accumulated minutes. The light was working nice and bright, then it cut off.

I am using protected 14500 batteries. I measured the battery after it cut off and it was around 3v. After charging it for 2 hours it was around 4v. That means you have 1 volt of usage. On a AA rechargeable, you start at around 1.2v and get usable light until around .8v

Even though the light does not get warm running the 14500 a minute at a time, I'm afraid to do a test running the light continuously until it dies. I love these little lights and they take so long to get here from China. I'm planning to buy a large amount for gifts.

Aeromark said:   Slickone said:   From posts here, it seems the eBay ones are single mode and the ones with 3 modes are only on Amazon. Is that true?My single-mode light came from Amazon. Seller was Lucky Electronics. Beware on Amazon that the default seller is rotated, I ordered another one (has not arrived yet) and it was sold by BBQbuy.

Update - BBQbuy model is three mode high-off-low-off-strobe-off.

Ordered one from Blue Top, had it delivered to a friend. He reports that is is three mode also. He loved it so much he ordered 15 to have on hand as gifts.

By the way, the modes are not high-off-low-off-strobe-off; they are high-low-strobe. You don't have to turn the light off to switch between modes; just tap the button slightly.

I just received two and they are the three mode. They are fairly bright but nothing special, I'm thinking of getting some 14500 rechargeables to see if that makes them brighter with a better throw at distance. I have several 3 watt 3 AAA lights from Home Depot that are a lot brighter and they were about the same price.

linuspb said:   I just received two and they are the three mode. They are fairly bright but nothing special, I'm thinking of getting some 14500 rechargeables to see if that makes them brighter with a better throw at distance. I have several 3 watt 3 AAA lights from Home Depot that are a lot brighter and they were about the same price.

Keep in mind that a single alkaline is 1.5v, a nimh is 1.2v and a 14500 lithium is 4.2v (full charge). It WILL be brighter.

Before using Li-Ion, if you care about your flashlight's life and more importantly your life, I would read through the big thread at SD titled "7W 300LM Mini CREE LED Flashlight Torch Adjustable Focus Zoom Light Lamp $6.62 Shipped", started 01-10-2012. I'm not allowed here to link to the posts there, but see post #26, 127, and 128.
Also:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?280909-Ultraf...

Slickone said:   Before using Li-Ion, if you care about your flashlight's life and more importantly your life, I would read through the big thread at SD titled "7W 300LM Mini CREE LED Flashlight Torch Adjustable Focus Zoom Light Lamp $6.62 Shipped", started 01-10-2012. I'm not allowed here to link to the posts there, but see post #26, 127, and 128.
Also:

This is unnecessary scare tactics!

Lithium cells are very safe in a one cell setup. It's when you are using two or more in a flashlight that you have to be careful. Also, practice common sense. Don't leave your flashlight in a hot car where the temps can get up to 140 or so.

If you are really worried, then drill a tiny hole in the casing, to release any gas buildup. Also, use protected cells!

Slickone said:   Before using Li-Ion, if you care about your flashlight's life and more importantly your life, I would read through the big thread at SD titled "7W 300LM Mini CREE LED Flashlight Torch Adjustable Focus Zoom Light Lamp $6.62 Shipped", started 01-10-2012. I'm not allowed here to link to the posts there, but see post #26, 127, and 128.
Also:
Thanks Slickone. Summary: Li-Ion (14500) batteries may be driven to dangerous levels in flashlights like this, especially for longer intervals (3+ minutes). And by dangerous they mean dangerous. Conclusion, IMO, is not to put 14500's in them if you're going to keep these for emergency use, or in applications where you're relying on light for more than a couple minutes.

I guess that means that using them as a bike light at night (like I'm doing with a $2 mount) is bad.

Dotbody said:   Slickone said:   Before using Li-Ion, if you care about your flashlight's life and more importantly your life, I would read through the big thread at SD titled "7W 300LM Mini CREE LED Flashlight Torch Adjustable Focus Zoom Light Lamp $6.62 Shipped", started 01-10-2012. I'm not allowed here to link to the posts there, but see post #26, 127, and 128.
Also:
Thanks Slickone. Summary: Li-Ion (14500) batteries may be driven to dangerous levels in flashlights like this, especially for longer intervals (3+ minutes). And by dangerous they mean dangerous. Conclusion, IMO, is not to put 14500's in them if you're going to keep these for emergency use, or in applications where you're relying on light for more than a couple minutes.

I guess that means that using them as a bike light at night (like I'm doing with a $2 mount) is bad.

I've used my lights with 14500's for extended times. When the voltage drops, the light begins to blink. That's when it's time to turn it off. Also, for extended use, NIMH are probably preferable, as they don't heat up. That said, for intermittent use, 14500's that are protected cells are fine.

When I have more time I'll do some rundown and temperature tests on the 14500's.

kirthgersen said:   I don't have any 14500 batteries yet. Is there still a medium/low mode running on 14500s?I received the two I ordered from Bestdeal777 a few days ago and they are the "better" lights as stated from reading their description -- Black, o-rings, three modes. I put in a protected 14500 and it runs great, with all three modes (and yes, it dims!).

Butcherboy said:   Price down to $4.99 ShippedCurrently unavailable.

Dotbody said:   Butcherboy said:   Price down to $4.99 ShippedCurrently unavailable.

$5.29 Shipped to your door here.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006E0QAFY/ref=nosim/?ascsubtag=FWb6xkh...

Butcherboy said:   $5.29 Shipped to your door here.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006E0QAFY/
$5.45 is the lowest I see. (lucky electronics, loves2009)

I'm giving your comment green though, since the key seems to be to look for the lowest price, as the prices are constantly fluctuating. It's also good to know where the 'lows' are dipping down to.

I also think it's helpful to list the vendor name when quoting the price.

android said:   
I've used my lights with 14500's for extended times. When the voltage drops, the light begins to blink. That's when it's time to turn it off. Also, for extended use, NIMH are probably preferable, as they don't heat up. That said, for intermittent use, 14500's that are protected cells are fine.

Is that the low voltage cutoff? I've read some flashlights have a LVC, but some do not. Also in the thread I linked, someone said protected cells can easily short out because they have a connection that runs from the top to the bottom on the outside of the cell, that's covered with very thin material.
Also, I think most people would like to be able to leave their flashlight in the car at times. Nor do I think people want to drill a hole in their light.
True, most people will have problems with lithium cells, but it is a risk. In the RC community, there are several reports of houses burning down. Although those are larger batteries, multi cell, and Lithium Polymer. ie. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1202289
But it can, and has, happened with single cell and Lithium Ion.

Dotbody said:   Butcherboy said:   $5.29 Shipped to your door here.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006E0QAFY/
$5.45 is the lowest I see. (lucky electronics, loves2009)

I'm giving your comment green though, since the key seems to be to look for the lowest price, as the prices are constantly fluctuating. It's also good to know where the 'lows' are dipping down to.

I also think it's helpful to list the vendor name when quoting the price.
I added a list on the Quick Summary post (right under the original thread post) of which sellers are shipping one mode vs three mode lights. So far BBQBuy, BestDeal777, and Blue Top have been shipping the three mode lights.

If any of you were planning on getting these lights from antiquechina2009 on eBay - I received 4 of them. They were all single-mode and silver-colored. 2 fit the 14500 batteries I got from DealExtreme but 2 of them were slightly too small.

Great deal and price in for one flashlight

Butcherboy said:   Price down to $4.99 Shipped

http://www.amazon.com/SODIAL--300lm-Flashlight-Torch-Adjustable/...

In stock again. Thanks!

Ordered 2 on September 25 from LuckyStore. Arrived yesterday. On/off only, no 3 mode. Other than that, they seem to work fantastically well. AA throws a good light for a single 1.5V cell. 14500 is awesome.

I ordered one awhile back, was amazed at how versatile this light is. I'm going to order five more (stocking stuffers / glove-box stuffers).

MattR said:   ... 2 fit the 14500 batteries I got from DealExtreme but 2 of them were slightly too small.
what were too small.. ?
the batteries OR the Flashlight ? ?
pictures w/ AA for comparisons

RegUSPatOff said:   MattR said:   ... 2 fit the 14500 batteries I got from DealExtreme but 2 of them were slightly too small.
what were too small.. ?
the batteries OR the Flashlight ? ?
pictures w/ AA for comparisons

The flashlights were too small in the battery compartment to accommodate my 14500 cells. I couldn't even force the batteries in there (not that I would have been able to get them back out if I had). I'll try to take some pics.

On Deal Extreme, there are several versions of the TrustFire protected 14500. I ordered the skinnier version and they worked on my two lights from Tomtop. I just ordered 6 more Flashlights from TomTop so we will see how consistent the dimensions are.

These are the batteries I ordered from DX...

TrustFire Protected 3.7V 900mAh 14500 Lithium Battery (2-Pack)
http://dx.com/p/trustfire-protected-3-7v-900mah-14500-lithium-ba...

I bought (2) sets of these ... fits good .. same size as AA
1200ma UltraFire 2pack $ 3.45 w/ free shipping
eBay 180933205283

GeorgeT said:   On Deal Extreme, there are several versions of the TrustFire protected 14500. I ordered the skinnier version and they worked on my two lights from Tomtop. I just ordered 6 more Flashlights from TomTop so we will see how consistent the dimensions are.

These are the batteries I ordered from DX...

TrustFire Protected 3.7V 900mAh 14500 Lithium Battery (2-Pack)
http://dx.com/p/trustfire-protected-3-7v-900mah-14500-lithium-ba...

Those are the same ones that I bought that didn't fit in two out of four of the flashlights I got off of eBay. They must be slightly bigger than AA because the two flashlights that are too small fit AAs just fine.

The 14500's are slightly fatter...

standard Duracell AA measured = 14mm (.553")
protected 14500 sku 3435 from DX = 14.4mm (.567")

measurements were taken by twisting the battery while measuring using a caliper so I would find the fattest spot.

Since these are protected cells, they have a wire under the jacket that goes from the positive to negative. They may be fatter than unprotected cells because of this.

Edit: Received my 6 flashlights from TomTop the other day. All were single mode with o rings. All could accommodate the 14500 batteries from DX.

Next order will be for 24. Hopefully I will not need to pay a duty for importing a larger amount. I saw on a duty calculator website that if the total value for the flashlight order is less that $200, there is no duty. We will see.

http://www.dutycalculator.com/new-import-duty-and-tax-calculatio...

I have one of the on/off ones from TomTop. I used it quite a bit the last two days, as I was affected by the hurricane blackout. Great white light that easily lit the room when pointed up at the ceiling. Great throw across the yard on the focused beam too. Gave about 45 minutes of bright light and another 30-45 minutes of usuable dimmer light on a single AA eneloop.

I found only 1 other flashlight still in stock during the blackout at Home Depot in my area. It costed $40. Almost considered buying it too. Instead, I'll just put that $40 into buy a bunch of these in preparation for next time.

I just received 4 more of them for Christmas gifts. My wife has two of them as well

ghostman said:   I have one of the on/off ones from TomTop. I used it quite a bit the last two days, as I was affected by the hurricane blackout. Great white light that easily lit the room when pointed up at the ceiling. Great throw across the yard on the focused beam too. Gave about 45 minutes of bright light and another 30-45 minutes of usuable dimmer light on a single AA eneloop.

I found only 1 other flashlight still in stock during the blackout at Home Depot in my area. It costed $40. Almost considered buying it too. Instead, I'll just put that $40 into buy a bunch of these in preparation for next time.

Similar situation. My flashlight collection came in handy and these were some of the stars for the past few days. These flashlight combined with my collection of Free after rewards batteries from Staples has helped keep a decent amount of light while we wait for the power to come back. I did notice that on my Eneloops they seem to dim sooner, whereas the Alkaline batteries seem to stay brighter longer and last longer overall.
I've already ordered a few more for family and friends.

I did a quick comparison last night of the single-mode light from Lucky Electronics and the three mode light from BestDeal777. The single mode light was brighter! I will research a bit more when I get some time.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014