• Text Only
Has anyone had any that are bad? One of the four I got is. You can barely see light in the LED.

Slickone said:   Has anyone had any that are bad? One of the four I got is. You can barely see light in the LED.

I bought 2 from Tomtop (not through Amazon). One works perfectly. One works most of the time, and is very dim the rest of the time. When it is dim, if I tap a few times lightly on the table, it gets bright. There must be a bad connection or bad solder joint somewhere.

FYI, I have used AA alkaline, AA Nimh, and 14500 lithium batteries. They all work great, but it is much brighter with the lithium batteries. I also have the extender tube discussed above. With 2 AA's, it not noticeably brighter than with one AA.

Used it during power outage caused by Sandy. The nice thing is it uses a single AA battery instead of 3 AAA. I run out of AAA and had plenty of AA.

lisong said:   Used it during power outage caused by Sandy. The nice thing is it uses a single AA battery instead of 3 AAA. I run out of AAA and had plenty of AA.
This is another reason I get these for gifts, much easier to manage a single battery. I saw someone mention they keep one of these in their car with an extra AA battery attached with a rubber band, so no need to worry about a dead battery.

TY OP.
Got two of these when this deal was posted. Same here, used them during power outage caused by Sandy, these are really nice ones.

bjohns said:   Slickone said:   Has anyone had any that are bad? One of the four I got is. You can barely see light in the LED.

I bought 2 from Tomtop (not through Amazon). One works perfectly. One works most of the time, and is very dim the rest of the time. When it is dim, if I tap a few times lightly on the table, it gets bright. There must be a bad connection or bad solder joint somewhere.

FYI, I have used AA alkaline, AA Nimh, and 14500 lithium batteries. They all work great, but it is much brighter with the lithium batteries. I also have the extender tube discussed above. With 2 AA's, it not noticeably brighter than with one AA.

I know the brightness will change with the various battery types, but I'm also curious about the time. How long do you get decent/usable light from the 14500 batteries? Also, does your flashlight get too hot with a 14500? I've used Alkaline and my Eneloops, but I was considering getting some 14500 batteries if the life would be longer.

breaux124 said:   bjohns said:   Slickone said:   Has anyone had any that are bad? One of the four I got is. You can barely see light in the LED.

I know the brightness will change with the various battery types, but I'm also curious about the time. How long do you get decent/usable light from the 14500 batteries? Also, does your flashlight get too hot with a 14500? I've used Alkaline and my Eneloops, but I was considering getting some 14500 batteries if the life would be longer.

I haven't timed it yet, but I will and report back. The light definitely gets hot with a 14500, so when you need the light on continuously, AA's might be better. When I test the time, I'll also monitor the temperature using an IR thermometer.

bjohns said:   breaux124 said:   bjohns said:   Slickone said:   Has anyone had any that are bad? One of the four I got is. You can barely see light in the LED.

I haven't timed it yet, but I will and report back. The light definitely gets hot with a 14500, so when you need the light on continuously, AA's might be better. When I test the time, I'll also monitor the temperature using an IR thermometer.

Test Results

With a freshly charged 14500 lithium battery, I got about 9-10 minutes of very bright light. Then, about 5 or 6 minutes of light similar to AA brightness. Then a few minutes of dim light.
Note that I'm using the cheapest of the cheap Lithium batteries (Ultrafire, non-protected), so you may get better results with a good quality battery.

Here are the details for the 14500 test. I checked the brightness and temperature every 3 minutes.
0 minutes: full brightness; 80 degrees F; Vbatt = 4.1V
3 minutes: full brightness; 94 degrees
6 mintes: full brightness; 105 degrees
9 mintes: full brightness; 113 degrees; 3.7V
at 9 minutes, I turned the light off until it cooled (about 10 minutes), and then continued the test
12 minutes: dimmer, similar to AA brightness; 93 degrees
15 minutes: a bit dimmer than a AA; 93 degrees
18 minutes: dim, the end of the battery's cycle; 93 degrees; a protected Lithium battery would have cut off before 18 minutes

With an Eneloop 2000 NiMh AA, I got about 40 minutes at full brightness, then about 10 minutes of dimmer useful brightness, then about 40 minutes that was too dim to be useful. While using the AA, the light also got hot, but not quite as much. At about 15 minutes, the temperature got up to 105 and peaked.

I ordered two. One from BBQbuy and one from SODIAL. I have one already from TomTop.
The one from SODIAL was dimmer than both the BBQbuy and TomTop ones. It also lacks a reflector and had a looser focus tube. I mean, the SODIAL one is still bright, but does not live up to the other two.

None of mine does strobe. It's not a big deal, but I was actually hoping to get the strobe version just to see the feature. Anyone know which one features strobe?

I ordered 2 from BBQbuy. They arrived today. Slowish delivery but that was expected. Got to to say I am stunned by their brightness and build quality. Simply put, buy a few and put them around the house or in the car etc fir every day use or Sandy-like energency. Very pleased I stumbled on this thread. Thanks all who contributed.

I just bought the Maglite 2D with the Cree XR-E (not older one with Rebel Luxeon emitter) from Lowe's for under $15. Home Despot had the same light a couple weeks ago for about the same price.

It's rated at 134 Lumens with two regular alkaline D batteries.

Wow, that's old school, right? There are fancy 14500s and now Cree XY-Z emitters and blindingly rated lights that are the size of lipstick tubes...

Yes, but here's the advantage to the Maglite 2D with the Cree:

1) It's built WAY BETTER than probably 85% of the Hong Kong sourced eBay/Meritline specials. Only those of you who have had one or taken one apart will understand how much more robust things like the stainless steel coil on the end cap are in the Maglite, or the better, deeper heatsink and head (which makes for great flood, but in fairness, with a noticeable "donut whole" the larger the flood). Some of the components, such as the actual emitter (the Cree) are from China, as they all are, but the other components are made and assembled in the U.S. Is this good? I'm no blinded patriot, but am just saying you will not find a light as well built for anything less than $40 from China.

2) Lifetime warranty no questions asked, really. I had an older Maglite that was 11 years old and quit working after many fishing outings and Maglite sent me a new, better one no questions asked express. They didn't even ask for the old one back.

3) Two plain ole' alkaline D batteries (about 75 cents each in multi-pack on sale) in the Maglite GETS EVERY BIT OF 134 TRUE LUMENS for at least 50% of the 8 hour run time advertised, and then probably puts out a still very useable light that degrades by maybe 10% per hour for each hour after. You will not get anything close to 300 Lumens in any light short of a very specialized one that costs 100+ that will allow you to run it continuously without burning up (and getting literally too hot to hold), for maybe more than 10 minutes, with even the most advanced 14500 batteries.

4) No expensive, exotic batteries or rechargers to worry about.

Maglite has upped its game big time. I was always wondering when they would join the 21st century and now they have, though they could still put the higher end Crees in more products (the XL200 has a XR-E and is EDC sized).

Also, the Rayovac Indestructable line that WalMart and Home Depot carry have Cree emitters, rated between at a true 100+ Lumens in 2xAA or 120+ Lumens in 3x AA size lights, and are robustly built like the Maglite, and are a far better value for MOST people given the durability and ability to get high lumens from regular alkaline batteries.

For the Lumens-obsessed junkies, they are chasing the ghost, like a crack addiction, of zillion Lumens output that can light up the Milky Way, and more power to them, if that's their thing. It's just a very time consuming and expensive hobby when 99% of anyone using a flashlight is rarely going to need more than 100 Lumens for 99.5% of practical tasks (I'd argue that between 60 and 100 Lumens, with two power modes, for longer run times, is ideal anyways).

Also, tight beam throwers have limited real life applications. They're fun to play with, but unless your the lighthouse keeper in the Harbor who needs a handheld backup if the main light goes out, what's the real practical use of a zillion lumens light that can throw a tight beam for 50 miles?

If you really need 300+ Lumens, the far more practical and less expensive way to get this is via a rechargeable, handheld spotlight.

Just my .02

Every AA Maglite I've owned, 5, have suffered battery corrosion and the batteries being stuck in the flashlight. Never happened
with any other flashlight I've owned, including Chinese one. And Maglite does not replace battery corrosion damaged
flashlights. So Maglites suck as far as I'm concerned. In for 8 more.

If you are ok spending more money, check out Streamlight flashlights on Amazon. I've got the Nano for my keychain and a headlamp. They also come with lifetime warranty, are built in the USA, and are what a bunch of Police/Fire/Military services use for their lighting.

Pretty sure that when my Mag 2D had battery corrosion, the coil battery spring rusted and I had to scrape it off.

JesseLivermore said:   I just bought the Maglite 2D ...
I have a few of the 14500's,
but my wife says she likes the black Maglight 2D flashlight better ...
I don't know why ? ?

the one i got from Lucky Electronics isn't as bright compared the the one I got from BBQbuy.

Dangit OP. I got one of these several months ago, and really like it. In for 5 more!

I have a couple of these also.

I highly recommend.

fwiw I was surprised that the bottom of the flashlight connector got tarnished very quickly used an eraser and a thin screwdriver to shine up the connector and the light is as bright and as good as new!

$4.99 now at one vendor and the other is $5.03 with free shipping. Hard to beat!

bajasue said:   $4.99 now at one vendor and the other is $5.03 with free shipping. Hard to beat!
But what version will you get?

billtmore said:   fwiw I was surprised that the bottom of the flashlight connector got tarnished very quickly used an eraser and a thin screwdriver to shine up the connector and the light is as bright and as good as new!

Thanks for the tip, I have one that's on the fritz, I'll try that.

I bought a number of the sipak from Meritline, got in on that tom top deal for a few more. Each time I buy more I say I'm going to build a dual bike light with the guts, wiring 2 emitters in series and making a 6xAA based battery back with some enelops I have. But they keep finding new use. I have the one that has a weak connection somewhere that I need to look at the batt connector, had another one die and a 3rd had a battery leak/asplosion, probably left on in GFs pocketbook left in her car or something.

Real quick, simple dirty bike light mount. go to the hardware store and get 2 small hose clamps. Take off the screws to the clip and remove clip. Slip a hose clamp over the light, then take the end out of the other hose clamp, slide it thought the bottom of the first clamp then around the handlebars. For this to work, the handlebar mounting spot needs to be perpindicular to the direction of travel. Tighten everything up a bit, aim the light slightly down to see the road ahead of you and lock everything down.

I change my batteries by unscrewing the back and tilting the entire bike backwards so the used up battery falls out. Then just drop a new one in and screw back on. You can keep the hose clamp that's on the handlebar a little loose to be able to slide your headlight in position without manipulating the bike. If you do that and you like your handlebars, I recommend you source some material to place between the clamp and the bar to glide on and save your bar from damage.

My plans for a 2 light set up is to have one light pointed more downwards illuminating the immediate road ahead on full flood. The second one will be aimed ahead of the first's light path, zoomed in enough to just push some light out to the horizon and fill in the area where the first starts to get dark into the distance. Figure that will be good for early warning of objects ahead and be enough glare to catch driver's eyes at night without being high-beams bright.

I ordered 6, although this thread has me thinking about 2xaa and 3xaa for these lights. Because current is regulated, that would make the lights last longer, and that's sorely needed on any good bike ride. I find that with 1xaa, I'm swapping lights in the middle of the ride, or swapping out before starting the return trip. One of these days I need to build out a dynohub front wheel.

I ordered the BBQbuy@7w lights, sold by C-Teck. I expect 1 mode only and will return if they send me something not as described. Especially for the one I carry, I want to be able to just click and have it come on bright. Last thing I want is to have to use it and it comes on blinking like a possessed VCR clock.

^ For your clamp method, I'm not sure anyone can picture what you're talking about without pics. I sure can't.
This is a standard hose clamp. Is that what you use?
I was thinking about using some of these rubber lined clamps (not necessarily that size).
Or look at this clamp.

Slickone said:   ^ For your clamp method, I'm not sure anyone can picture what you're talking about without pics. I sure can't.
I was thinking about using some of these rubber lined clamps (not necessarily that size).
Or look at this clamp.

I'm assuming this is what he was describing:
http://www.bikehacks.com/bikehacks/2010/04/plumbing-clamp-bike-light-hacks.html

Yeah lets try 1000 Lumens and then we can talk

normal1 said:   Yeah lets try 1000 Lumens and then we can talk
Do you want fries with that?

Slickone said:   normal1 said:   Yeah lets try 1000 Lumens and then we can talk
Do you want fries with that?

bacon !

If any of you are considering trying 14500 Lithium batteries, one eBay seller is listing 4 (with protection circuitry) for $5.69 shipped (only $1.42 each). I can't vouch for the quality yet, but at that price, I ordered a set of 4. The listing claims that this price is good for 2 more days.

eBay Link

Also, If you want a cheap Lithium smart charger, and are comfortable soldering, I made one using a pre-made PCB (like this for $1.56 shipped) soldered to a AA battery holder. It works great. I just plug it into a USB cable, and wait for the LED to change from blue to red. Just don't put a AA battery in it.

^^ do the lithiums need a tube extender for this flashlight?

I received my two today. I ordered from the BBQ one. Much more solid than I expected. I have to say, people on here were going crazy how bright they were. For a single AA light, they are bright. No way 300 lumen bright, but bright. For the price though, even with 2-3 week waiting period for shipping...no brainer IMO.

BTW, mine has three settings...High-low-strobe. Its cool because you click the light on, then only half-click again to change through modes, instead of turning on and off again.

bjohns said:   If any of you are considering trying 14500 Lithium batteries, one eBay seller is listing 4 (with protection circuitry) for $5.69 shipped (only $1.42 each). I can't vouch for the quality yet, but at that price, I ordered a set of 4. The listing claims that this price is good for 2 more days.

eBay Link

Also, If you want a cheap Lithium smart charger, and are comfortable soldering, I made one using a pre-made PCB (like this for $1.56 shipped) soldered to a AA battery holder. It works great. I just plug it into a USB cable, and wait for the LED to change from blue to red. Just don't put a AA battery in it.

Or, Banggood has Ultrafire for $2 each, and a charger for $2.51. If you don't need four batteries anyway (I wouldn't), you could get 2-3 for around the price of the 4 you linked to, and I think people say Ultrafire are reliable, so might be a safer bet. There's probably more info earlier in this thread about which ones are reliable and the cheapest place to get them. These are just ones that I found after trying to find the ones you linked to on banggood.com (since their picture says banggood), but they aren't there.

I missed this post that these lights were still available. I bought 5 of them a year ago and have given a few away to friends. I just bought 4 more on Amazon for $5.40 each with free shipping. Just letting those know who missed it like I did. Link below:

http://www.amazon.com/BBQbuy-300lm-Flashlight-Torch-Adjustable/d...

Easy (1.24MB)
Disclaimer
Slickone said:   ^ For your clamp method, I'm not sure anyone can picture what you're talking about without pics. I sure can't.
Or look at this clamp.

I'm not sure about those rubber lined clamps. If you look at your local hardware store, you might find rubber electrical tape and can use that as a liner between the hose clamps. I've attached a pic of my setup.

Got mine the other day. they are worth 6 bux.300 lumens,no way.

aares said:   ^^ do the lithiums need a tube extender for this flashlight?

No. The 14500 Lithiums are the same size as a AA.

uberman1 said:   I missed this post that these lights were still available. I bought 5 of them a year ago and have given a few away to friends. I just bought 4 more on Amazon for $5.40 each with free shipping. Just letting those know who missed it like I did. Link below:

http://www.amazon.com/BBQbuy-300lm-Flashlight-Torch-Adjustable/d...

In 4 1.

I have maybe a dozen of these, but keep misplacing them. With the hi-voltage batteries these are indispensible. I refuse to use common flashlights anymore.

All the Black ones I purchased from Meritline were quite good. A couple of Silver ones I bought on eBay were mediocre, and did not seem to be of the same quality (seconds maybe?).

If this one from BBQ is good, I'll buy a few more from them.

Following the link, the eBay prices seem pretty much inline with Amazon...

Butcherboy said:   kickerstarter said:   You can find the same flashlight for less on eBay

No Link, Why ?

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?LH_BIN=1&_sacat=0&_nkw=7W%20300%2...

CandlePowerforums LED Flashlight reviews

Right. As a reminder, for the crazy LED flashlight owners that want better, read up on the hundreds of LED Flashlight reviews at CandlePowerForums. You might go crazy!

eg. High output flashlights comparo: Comparo

eg. You want ALL the AA flashlight reviews you can get your hands on??
Selfbuilt's nutty 3+ thread AA flashlight reviews
Yep, nutty - he's even got runtime graphs of each flashlight, across rechargable to AA batteries tested in each.

adorable said:   
You want ALL the AA flashlight reviews you can get your hands on??

1x AA Round-up Review - Part IV UPDATE June 10, 2009

Runtime Index Last edited by Illum; 02-04-2009

Explore!! CandlePowerForums is SO HUGE, you can spend MONTHS reading all of the flashlight reviews that have ever been posted!!!!

---

CandlePowerForums huge list of reviews
Selfbuilt's new website 2012

Go up to the main forum (linked #1 above), and scroll through the hundreds of 2012 LED flashlight reviews.
You'll come across Selfbuilt's latest link to his new website with latest 2012 reviews (linked #2 above) - listed here:
chrono list led reviews

And the prior post's link was just for LED reviews.

If you want to go CRAZY with all sorts of FLASHLIGHT reviews (incandescent, hid, halogen), customizing them, lights for bicycles, cars, and even backyard Anti-Aircraft lights (yep, some of the nutty guys here have bought real 'AA' lights =D with 1,000,000,000,000+ candlelight output), go here.

CandlePowerForum Main Forum LINK

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014