• Text Only
foxhopper said:   With the blue 14500 I get about 20 minutes of continuous light, but I have seldom needed to leave mine on for more than a couple minutes. It will get a little warm if you leave it on for a few minutes, but never too hot to hold.

I also change back and forth from 14500's and AA batteries without a problem, but once you try the 14500's you will feel like a single AA is way underpowered. However, since I don't always need a really bright light I just slide in a AA and increase my continuous run time about 3X to about 60 minutes.

Thanks for the run time on the various batteries. Was going to search for the 14500, but prefer the run time over brightness for extended late night bike rides.

The light i just purchased in the OP came stamped with Cree Q5 on it. I compared to my original from last year (Q3), and it visibly brighter, not by much but enough for the Q3 to step down to the "spare" light category.

GeorgeT said:   android said:   Actually a terrific light. Very good output with AA NIMH, but amazing light with a 14500 lithium battery. When zoomed narrow, they have one of the most intense and tight beams you will ever see outside of a laser. I own like 6, but will get some more. The only downside is that once you see 'em with a 14500, you'll spend lots of $$$$ on rechargeable 14500's and fancy chargers.

Also, I wouldn't waste money on the extension tubes. Instead invest in some 14500's, you will end up with a much better light that is much smaller.

Also, these come from Hong Kong, and can take a very long time before you get them. For 3 bucks more I'd buy stateside. Cyberkind and Smart Tech Deals sell for 8.75 and have excellent reviews.

I have a few of these lights and love them. I have only used them with AA batteries. After seeing the comparison photos with the 14500 batteries, I want to try them. Which 14500 and charger did you go with and where did you get them? I see some Truefire protected batteries at DX.

Also, how long will the battery last between charges? Does the flashlight get really hot? Were you able to use AA's again? Some people say after going to the 14500, AA's will no longer work.

The DX truefires are fine, and work well. The charger I got is awesome, it is the Intellicharger i4 second generation, see it at http://www.amazon.com/JETBeam-IntelliCharger-i4-Charger-Generati...

You probably want to only buy protected 14500's, and they are safer and less likely to go boom.

The flashlight will get warm with 14500's, but not hot. I used the Trustfire protected one. Reg. AA's work fine afterwards, I don't know how anyone would think they wouldn't, the flashlight has no memory.

Butcherboy said:   Danzilla said:   Yada, yada, yada... the price on this style flashlight (more than one manufacturer, I believe) has been ~$6 for ages from one retailer or another. It's a nice, cheap little flashlight but does NOT produce anywhere near 300 lumens with just an AA battery. Need to also buy the rechargeable lithium-ion battery(3.6V 14500) for higher voltage and output.

mine is super bright with just the AA batteries.

You definitely haven't tried using those 3.6V lithium rechargeable.
I have a couple of cheap Chinese made Cree flashlights so I know that the difference using AA or Li-ion.

The 300lm is definitely very very overated, it doesn't even mention which Cree Q5, neither XP-E nor XR-E Q5 can get 300 lm with 3.6V.
And unless you use TWO 3.6V Li-ion to get 7.2V, there is no way it can be 7W.
Usually these flashlights draws 1000mA, so 3.6V * 1A = 3.6W at most.

mikefxu said:   Have 3, one in each car and one on top of my pistol case on the night stand. Lost one this past weekend so bought 2 more to have one at work also. Went ahead and bought 2 14500 batteries and charger from DX at the same time. Check the AA vs 14500 difference: http://budgetlightforum.com/node/8738
Danzilla said:   ...extension tubes?? Link?
http://budgetlightforum.com/node/7686
Would an 18650 fit in this light or is the case diameter too small? Would love to be able to use a short tube extension to accommodate an 18650 and be able to swap in an AA.

peas said:   mikefxu said:   Have 3, one in each car and one on top of my pistol case on the night stand. Lost one this past weekend so bought 2 more to have one at work also. Went ahead and bought 2 14500 batteries and charger from DX at the same time. Check the AA vs 14500 difference: http://budgetlightforum.com/node/8738
Danzilla said:   ...extension tubes?? Link?
http://budgetlightforum.com/node/7686
Would an 18650 fit in this light or is the case diameter too small? Would love to be able to use a short tube extension to accommodate an 18650 and be able to swap in an AA.
FFS. If you could use a 18650, it would say you could use a 18650! They are significantly fatter than AA/14500 cells stated as working with this flashlight.

android said:   GeorgeT said:   android said:   Actually a terrific light. Very good output with AA NIMH, but amazing light with a 14500 lithium battery. When zoomed narrow, they have one of the most intense and tight beams you will ever see outside of a laser. I own like 6, but will get some more. The only downside is that once you see 'em with a 14500, you'll spend lots of $$$$ on rechargeable 14500's and fancy chargers.

Also, I wouldn't waste money on the extension tubes. Instead invest in some 14500's, you will end up with a much better light that is much smaller.

Also, these come from Hong Kong, and can take a very long time before you get them. For 3 bucks more I'd buy stateside. Cyberkind and Smart Tech Deals sell for 8.75 and have excellent reviews.

I have a few of these lights and love them. I have only used them with AA batteries. After seeing the comparison photos with the 14500 batteries, I want to try them. Which 14500 and charger did you go with and where did you get them? I see some Truefire protected batteries at DX.

Also, how long will the battery last between charges? Does the flashlight get really hot? Were you able to use AA's again? Some people say after going to the 14500, AA's will no longer work.

The DX truefires are fine, and work well. The charger I got is awesome, it is the Intellicharger i4 second generation, see it at http://www.amazon.com/JETBeam-IntelliCharger-i4-Charger-Generati...

You probably want to only buy protected 14500's, and they are safer and less likely to go boom.

The flashlight will get warm with 14500's, but not hot. I used the Trustfire protected one. Reg. AA's work fine afterwards, I don't know how anyone would think they wouldn't, the flashlight has no memory.

Thanks android. The JETBeam-IntelliCharger looks like it can handle anything you can throw at it, but I am just a poor man from a poor family. I will probably go with the protected TrustFire 14500 and a cheapy charger from DX. Glad to hear the flashlight can go back to AA's in case of emergencies.

Picked up one at ~$8 a few weeks ago. GREAT light. In for two more to keep onhand! Thanks!

bought (2) on "that auction site" # 280879399978 $ 5.69 ea
paid 8/13
arrived 8/27

bought (1) of these # 290747288016
dual charger w/ (2) 14500 batteries $ 6.34 shipped
paid 8/13
hasn't arrived yet

TEST with (1) AA alkaline
1.25 V
1.16 A
1.45 W

sure is bright

TEST with (2) AA alkalines (wired)
2.9 V
.5 A
1.45 W

? ? ?
must have a power inverter / voltage regulator
I'll compare the brightness when the 14500's arrive

edit> the 14500's (from another eBayer) never arrived (6 weeks).. refunded ..

RegUSPatOff said:   bought (2) on "that auction site" # 280879399978 $ 5.69 ea
paid 8/13
arrived 8/27

bought (1) of these # 290747288016
dual charger w/ (2) 14500 batteries $ 6.34 shipped
paid 8/13
hasn't arrived yet

TEST with (1) AA alkaline
1.25 V
1.16 A
1.45 W

sure is bright

TEST with (2) AA alkalines (wired)
2.9 V
.5 A
1.45 W

? ? ?
must have a power inverter / voltage regulator
I'll compare the brightness when the 14500's arrive

Thanks RegUSPatOff, For the info.

ahh, from CandlePowerForums

At 1.5 volts max. battery cell voltage that is 1.5V x 2.0 amps = 3.0 watts.

Measured 0.75 amps out of the lithium cell on "high". So that would be 3.6 volts x .75 amps = 2.7 watts -
about the same as the AA Eneloop cell
(difference is probably my measurement error).
And the brightness appeared to be the same as with the AA Eneloop.

So, without taking this little torch apart I would say that there is both a Boost and a Buck regulator inside. The lithium cell buys longer operation but not more light output. A pretty amazing little piece of technology for under $6.00 in my opinion. But definitely not a 7 watt light - more like a 2 watt to 3 watt light. I ordered a few more to keep around the house, garage and cars.

RegUSPatOff said:   ahh, from CandlePowerForums

Measured 0.75 amps out of the lithium cell on "high". So that would be 3.6 volts x .75 amps = 2.7 watts -

So, without taking this little torch apart I would say that there is both a Boost and a Buck regulator inside. The lithium cell buys longer operation but not more light output. A pretty amazing little piece of technology for under $6.00 in my opinion. But definitely not a 7 watt light - more like a 2 watt to 3 watt light. I ordered a few more to keep around the house, garage and cars.

I thought there was a voltage booster in there and though there would not be much difference between the AA and the 14500 batteries. That was until I saw this post

http://budgetlightforum.com/node/8738

Can't wait to try some 14500 in mine. Let us know when your batteries and charger arrive. Those batteries you ordered do not look like they are protected, so be careful not to let them drain too far.

GeorgeT said:   RegUSPatOff said:   ahh, from CandlePowerForums

No, this isn't right at all. I've got a dozen of these lights, and there is a huge difference in brightness with lithium 14500's versus Eneloops. If you are getting the same brightness then you are a) doing something wrong, or b) have a defective light. I'd say the brightness is 2X as bright with Li batts. Of course, it's not a long lasting light with the Li bats, but for my uses, I don't need long lasting. I prefer multiple mode lights for long lasting applications, so you can downshift the output in exchange for longer battery life. Anyway, for about $10 per light with a protected 14500, you can't go wrong! And you can always use Eneloops if you want longer life.

there may be different versions (manufactures) of the "same" flashlight

Gotta give props to the US seller "G&N INTERNATIONAL INC". Ordered two of these for $8.59 each shipped at 14:38 today and already got the shipping email from them at 15:38 - 1 hour! Seller using USPS and got the (mostly useless) tracking number - not a ding against the seller, but more against the USPS.

Got my two lights today. Padded USPS 1st class envelope.

Lights are packed in plain white boxes, really solidly built. Easily SEVERAL times brighter than a 4-D cell Mag with LED conversion, obviously brighter than a Sure Fire 6P LED with new CR123's, and the focus is not a threaded focus, but a push/pull (at least on mine).

Thx again OP!

I ordered this flashlight from Amazon and 2 14500 batteries from the auction site. The flashlight arrived last week, and I was very satisfied using the AA rechargeable batteries I have.

Today my 14500 batteries arrived. I am dumbfounded realizing how bright a small flashlight can be with 14500, so I bought two more sets just now...

Just an update on the AA extension tube(s). I bought the $2.xx flashlight from eBay (linked in quick summary) and it arrived finally yesterday. Even cheaper than our 7W Cree, it has a thin aluminum body and even weaker LED (with 2x AA than the 7W Cree with 1x AA.) It does however handily come apart and works to convert the 1x AA 7W Cree to a 2x AA by inverting and adding the bottom tube piece (closest to tail cap). It can also upgrade the 7W cree to 3x AA if you use entire body of the $2.xx flashlight as is, including the switch, after unscrewing the LED/top.
Using the 7W Cree with 2x AA alkalines gives me a definite improvement in brightness, but I'm not sure about with 3x... it was close enough that I'd have to test with two different 7W Crees to be sure.

Got this flashlight last week. Best deal in a long time. Boy is it bright! Thanks BB.

Is it 3 modes?

yes it is...at least mine was

Mine was single mode. Brighter than any other single AA light I have seen, though.

What is 3 modes? Flood, focused and in-between?

Anyway, if you are patient, you can usually score one for just over $5 at the "famous auction site". But there are a couple of look alikes. One uses 1xAA but longer. It has a switch that supports normal brightness, lower brightness, blinking, etc. But all accessed via the same toggle switch. Another one is really a 18450 model. I think both are inferior.

With a 14500, I can cast a beam on the sky as a star pointer. I wish I can get an extender that let me use 2xAA as 14500 has short battery life and I don't want to invest in a bunch of single purpose rechargeable.

Are these a lot brighter than the 9-LED flashlights that are $1-$2? Those are good gifts too, when you need to buy a lot.
I'm wondering if some of the people here that reported how bright these (in the OP) are have used any LED torches before, or if they would also be saying the cheaper ones (9-LED) are bright.

ManuFact said:   
In case of something drastic, where my 18650 in the flashlight in my trunk is depleted, and the backup 18650 in my glove box is also depleted, one of these could come in handy (this is definitely the Boy Scout in me coming out). Besides that, these would make *awesome* gifts for the types of people that have pretty much never seen anything besides AA and AAA batteries.

Lithium based batteries can be ruined (and even blow up) if left in a hot car. Are you not concerned about that?

Slickone said:   Are these a lot brighter than the 9-LED flashlights that are $1-$2? Those are good gifts too, when you need to buy a lot.
I'm wondering if some of the people here that reported how bright these (in the OP) are have used any LED torches before, or if they would also be saying the cheaper ones (9-LED) are bright.

Yes they are.

just buy one, you shouldn't regret it

RegUSPatOff said:   ahh, from CandlePowerForums

Does anyone know more about what's going on here? I'm confused how everyone else says it's brighter with a 14500 than 1AA, and foxhopper on page 2 says he gets 20 minutes with a 14500 and 60 minutes with an AA, but you're saying 1AA, 2AA, and 14500 should have the same brightness (actually you show lower watts with the lithium) and the lithium should last longer than 1AA. And your test above this post shows the amperage drops when going from 1AA to 2AA, which would support what you said.

RegUSPatOff said:   there may be different versions (manufactures) of the "same" flashlight
You're saying these flashlights that are otherwise identical may have different regulators?

Danzilla said:   AusTex Deal Seeker said:   ...
hey, would the extension tube make them brighter, or the batteries last longer, or both, or ???
Yes and yes.

How can adding a battery increase both brightness and run time?

Slickone said:   RegUSPatOff said:   ahh, from CandlePowerForums

Does anyone know more about what's going on here? I'm confused how everyone else says it's brighter with a 14500 than 1AA, and foxhopper on page 2 says he gets 20 minutes with a 14500 and 60 minutes with an AA, but you're saying 1AA, 2AA, and 14500 should have the same brightness (actually you show lower watts with the lithium) and the lithium should last longer than 1AA. And your test above this post shows the amperage drops when going from 1AA to 2AA, which would support what you said.

Okay, I've owned dozens of these lights, and here's the true skinny.

A lithium 14500 battery is twice as bright as an eneloop in these. There's simply no comparison. I don't know about watts, but with the eneloop these lights are bright, and with a 14500 they are very bright!

Runtime is not a lot with the 14500 (which is 900mah). Maybe 20 min. With the eneloop it is longer, maybe 60. When the 14500 runs too low, the light starts flashing. Also, the light gets warm with a 14500, but stays room temp with the eneloop.

Now what about adding a second battery with an extension tube? First of all, don't do this with 14500's, I fried one of my lights doing it last night. With two eneloops the lights a little brighter, but not much, and the runtime is longer.

I've also used 2 NizR batteries, and they work well. 1.6 volts each, for total of 3.2v.

RegUSPatOff said:   there may be different versions (manufactures) of the "same" flashlight
You're saying these flashlights that are otherwise identical may have different regulators?

hey, would the extension tube make them brighter, or the batteries last longer, or both, or ???
Yes and yes.

Slickone said:   RegUSPatOff said:   ahh, from CandlePowerForums

Yes and yes.

The thing is, it's not just a matter of voltages. Doubling the AAs with an extender does make it brighter, but not 2x as bright. Adding a 2nd AA both increases the total voltage and decrease the current drain on each cell. So it's brighter and does last longer, just not necessarily much so. As for different types of cells being brighter, I'm just guessing, but it's probably the same reason high-drain devices like cameras do better with lithium/rechargables than regular alkalines. Something to do with internal resistance of the cell and the more current drawn =>> more inefficient discharge.

And yes, there are more than one version of this flashlight, all copying the original (Sipik, I think?) They use the same LED probably, because they're all made by CREE anyway (the better ones), but the rest of the light...?

And finally, to sort-of answer your first question, yes, it's brighter with a 14500 (a good bit so). Again, it's not just a matter of the voltage applied, but how much current the cells can provide quickly. So even though the 14500 has a higher total energy and much brighter output, it dies a lot faster. The Alkalines aren't near as bright, but A) they last longer because of it and B) they get dimmer and dimmer before finally failing. The 14500s will dim as you drop in voltage too, but not near as much as the Alkalines.
On top of which, we're back to the fact that different people may in fact be using different versions of essentially the same design. So the could very well work differently.

Slickone said:   Are these a lot brighter than the 9-LED flashlights that are $1-$2? Those are good gifts too, when you need to buy a lot.
Yes. For the most part, they use 5, 7, 9 , etc. LEDs in those flashlights because they're about the cheapest they can get and do NOT produce enough light individually (or in many cases as a group either.) Better quality flashlights just about always have a single LED.

Slickone said:   Are these a lot brighter than the 9-LED flashlights that are $1-$2? Those are good gifts too, when you need to buy a lot. I firmly believe once you try these, you'll never go back to those cheap 9-LED lights—especially at sub $6 prices! Though I sometimes still use a 9-LED cheapie for a reading light since it's not very bright.

Ordered 2 a few weeks ago.. LOVED it! The 3 modes are there.. just flick the power on/off and cycle between the 3 diff modes within a 1 second or so and it automatically switches between FULL>half bright > Strobe. Small and so bright that I ordered 20 more to give as Christmas gifts. Can't beat the price! and it takes std AA batteries!

I compared this to my SUREFIRE flashlight that I paid $30 and I would say its comparable if not brighter. The surefire output was looking 'yellowed' than these CREE bulbs.

Any recommended sellers?

as mentioned in my previous post ...
bought (2) on "that auction site" # 280879399978 $ 5.69 ea
gun-metal shiny grey w/ orange button & black metal clip
nice

Note: must have some kind of regulator ..
NO difference in brightness (1) AA or (2) AA (test wired) (alkalines)
NO "3 modes" function
I don't have a 14500 to try, yet
Which sellers have the "3 modes" switch function ?

depending on the regulator (if equipped)
using a 14500 may be brighter
AND may last longer because of the cut-off voltage of the regulator (?)

I'm still waiting on my 14500 batteries and charger to arrive to test, but from what I have read about the protected 14500's, they will cut off before they drop below a certain voltage (maybe around 2.75v). It is dangerous to use a unprotected 14500 and run it all the way down.

When using a standard AA battery, you can run it down to .8 volts and still get a little light from the flashlight.

EDIT: My protected 14500's charge to 4.2 volts and cut off when they drop to 3 volts. Big difference in brightness between 14500 and standard AA's.

owenyuen said:   Is it 3 modes?Mine was as well - Hi/Lo/Strobe.

Are these exactly the same as from the Tomtop deal? I got two from Tomtop a while back. Was wondering if they have the different hi/lo/strobe modes. I'm hoping! I'll have to check when I get home. If not, I might be tempted to get one of these lol

I just got 3 more, All have Hi/Lo/Strobe

I only use the High.

Danzilla said:   Slickone said:   RegUSPatOff said:   ahh, from CandlePowerForums

Yes and yes.

The thing is, it's not just a matter of voltages. Doubling the AAs with an extender does make it brighter, but not 2x as bright. Adding a 2nd AA both increases the total voltage and decrease the current drain on each cell. So it's brighter and does last longer, just not necessarily much so. As for different types of cells being brighter, I'm just guessing, but it's probably the same reason high-drain devices like cameras do better with lithium/rechargables than regular alkalines. Something to do with internal resistance of the cell and the more current drawn =>> more inefficient discharge.

And yes, there are more than one version of this flashlight, all copying the original (Sipik, I think?) They use the same LED probably, because they're all made by CREE anyway (the better ones), but the rest of the light...?

And finally, to sort-of answer your first question, yes, it's brighter with a 14500 (a good bit so). Again, it's not just a matter of the voltage applied, but how much current the cells can provide quickly. So even though the 14500 has a higher total energy and much brighter output, it dies a lot faster. The Alkalines aren't near as bright, but A) they last longer because of it and B) they get dimmer and dimmer before finally failing. The 14500s will dim as you drop in voltage too, but not near as much as the Alkalines.
On top of which, we're back to the fact that different people may in fact be using different versions of essentially the same design. So the could very well work differently.

Thanks a lot for the answers (thanks to user "Android" too). I will get some of these, but just to continue the discussion...

I thought the brightness would be based on wattage. So if you increase the voltage (either by additional cell, or by going to Lithium), and current does go down (as you say), does the wattage stay the same or increase? I think that in the RC plane world, when you go from NiMh/NiCd to Lithium Polymer packs of similar voltage (ie. 6 NiMH = 7.2V, 2 LiPo = 7.4V), you end up with similar wattage under no load, but the Lithium cells don't drop voltage under load like Nickel cells do, so you do end up with more max wattage (power) with Lithium. I guess it's the same with the flashlight. Even with two AA cells, maybe the voltage drops under load, so it's nowhere near as bright as the similar rated resting voltage Lithium cell. Same with digital cameras, etc.

Also I do know that in the RC world, when you add cells in series, you don't increase your capacity. ie. if you make a battery pack of many 1000mah cells in series, you're capacity is still only 1000mah. So for the 2AA to last longer than 1AA, the current the flashlight draws has to end up lower somehow? Since the voltage should stay 1.5V per cell.
And I didn't think about maybe the 14500 Lithium cell not lasting as long (as AA) since it's only 900mah. However, according to wikipedia, An AA-sized alkaline battery might have an effective capacity of 3000 mAh at low drain, but at a load of 1 ampere, which is common for digital cameras, the capacity could be as little as 700 mAh., so I don't know how many amps the flashlight draws, but it has to be under 1 amp, or the capacity of the AA should be near or below the 14500's rated 900mah, so AA wouldn't last longer than the 14500.

FYI, something that user "FutureDilemma" mentioned here (different flashlight) and in PM is that if the flashlight gets real hot, it's actually doing damage to the LED and battery (and can be dangerous), so if it does get hot, turn it off for a bit. He also explained that this flashlight, with 14500 shouldn't get as hot as the one in that other thread with 18650 cell.

FYI, previous threads on the same(?) flashlight (from eBay seller Tomtop) are here and here, except in the first thread, there's a link to a thread on budgetlightforum.com for what's supposed to be the same flashlight (from eBay), except they say it's 3 mode, whereas seems all mentioned here in the FW threads is single mode. Different flashlights?

Butcherboy said:   I just got 3 more, All have Hi/Lo/Strobe

I only use the High.

Who are you ordering from? Mine arrived and only have 1 mode.

Slickone said:   
... if you increase the voltage (either by additional cell, or by going to Lithium), and current does go down
... with 14500 shouldn't get as hot as the one in that other thread with 18650 cell.

1) depends on the regulator (if it has one)
2) ... same voltage ... should be the same heat

besides the (2) of these that I have http://www.ebay.com/itm/280879399978

I just ordered (2) of these http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006E0QAFY

and some 14500's and a charger

RegUSPatOff said:   Slickone said:   
... if you increase the voltage (either by additional cell, or by going to Lithium), and current does go down
... with 14500 shouldn't get as hot as the one in that other thread with 18650 cell.

1) depends on the regulator (if it has one)
2) ... same voltage ... should be the same heat

besides the (2) of these that I have http://www.ebay.com/itm/280879399978

I just ordered (2) of these http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006E0QAFY

and some 14500's and a charger

1) it doesn't seem to have one
2) not true. amperage?

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014