• Text Only
I got a few of these. They work well when they work. I had a few fail on me during a fishing trip. I was so pissed, I wish I had my streamlight. Aparently, there was something wrong with the contacts for the battery. Good for around the house. Put something more dependable for the glovebox and your tackle box.

I bought five flashlights from BBQbuy. They arrived yesterday; all five have the high/low/blinking modes. This would definitely be annoying in a power outage. I've contacted the seller to ask about an exchange or return.

chrispitude said:   I bought five flashlights from BBQbuy. They arrived yesterday; all five have the high/low/blinking modes. This would definitely be annoying in a power outage. I've contacted the seller to ask about an exchange or return.

Most people who ordered from BBQbuy in this thread got the 3 mode lights. It is even listed in the summery on the 1st page.

I did not want the three mode. When I want light, I want LIGHT, not dim light or a strobe light. Plus it is one more thing to go wrong.

I ordered 25 Flashlights from TomTom. All were single mode and in the gun metal silver finish (beautiful). Each one worked perfectly. Everyone who received the light as a gift loved it.

GeorgeT said:   Most people who ordered from BBQbuy in this thread got the 3 mode lights. It is even listed in the summery on the 1st page.

I did not want the three mode. When I want light, I want LIGHT, not dim light or a strobe light. Plus it is one more thing to go wrong.


You are indeed right - bummer for me. I only looked at the OP's post. I agree with your reasoning for not wanting the modes. It looks like I get to see how the return process works for this overseas Amazon seller. Wish me luck!

Similar experience, but I realized going in that they would be 3 mode lights if I ordered from BBQbuy.

I've ordered these types of lights from:
- TomTop : All single mode (1 out of 4 has a flaky switch)
- Meritline : All Single mode (8 of 8 work great)
- BBQbuy : All 3 mode (5 of 5 work great)

chrispitude said:   You are indeed right - bummer for me. I only looked at the OP's post. I agree with your reasoning for not wanting the modes. It looks like I get to see how the return process works for this overseas Amazon seller. Wish me luck!

Looks like I am keeping them. The vendor sent me a return shipping label, but I pay shipping. I took it to the USPS - cheapest method back to China rang up at $12! That's what I get for not doing my homework.

I pray the light I bought from BBQbuy thru Amazon is Single Mode.

I, too, hate the multiple modes.

(Yes, as chrispitude has discovered, China heavily subsidizes their Post Office so that Chinese Businesses are competitive worlwide.)

I bet you are right about Chinese government subsidies for shipping. It would cost me $1.95 plus 50 cents for a padded envelope to ship a flashlight across the country. I would love to resell these lights here, but how could I compete with their price. Even if I only paid $2 per flashlight, I would only make 50 cents per light sold if I sold them for $5.00

You guys realize that the modes don't change if you press the button normally, right? They only change if you press if halfway. I gave some to my parents, explained how the modes worked, and asked about them after a few weeks and they had forgotten all about the modes, and never saw anything but the full power mode when they were using them. Also I would think the mode function would be the last thing to fail. The whole emitter or contacts would crap out first.

I wish the Amazon prices would go back down to $5ish. I want some more 3-mode.

FYI, instead of using the eBay link above, just search for "7W CREE LED Flashlight" and you'll get more results, since people write the lumens part of the title in different ways. There are some for $5.10 that don't mention 3-mode, so could be single mode.

I noticed one of the sellers (BestDeal777) that sells the flashlight on the Amazon page linked from the OP also has this:
"Mini 400 Lumens CREE Q5 LED Zoomable Adjustable Focus Flashlight Torch With Waterproof Design"
http://www.amazon.com/Lumens-Zoomable-Adjustable-Flashlight-Wate...
Think it's the same flashlight? It's ~$1 cheaper right now.

FYI, I had really good service from BestDeal777 when buying the one in the OP.

Slickone said:   You guys realize that the modes don't change if you press the button normally, right? They only change if you press if halfway. I gave some to my parents, explained how the modes worked, and asked about them after a few weeks and they had forgotten all about the modes, and never saw anything but the full power mode when they were using them. Also I would think the mode function would be the last thing to fail. The whole emitter or contacts would crap out first.

This is half true. If you depress the button slightly, it switches between modes. However, if you depress the button fully to turn it on/off, it will still advance to the next mode when you turn it on again, requiring you to cycle back through all modes again.

^ Actually I just realized last night that mine was doing that, so I thought something was wrong with it. I've never noticed it before. So I'm wondering if maybe it only does that if you turn it on within a certain time period after turning it off. ?

Slickone said:   ^ Actually I just realized last night that mine was doing that, so I thought something was wrong with it. I've never noticed it before. So I'm wondering if maybe it only does that if you turn it on within a certain time period after turning it off. ?

Go to the Amazon page for this item and check out the very first review that shows up. It covers how that works and contains a video to demonstrate.

"On/Off Mode (high brightness only):
Click once to turn it on - it will always be on the brightest setting if it has sat for a while - Click once again to turn it off.
Let it sit for 3 seconds or so and you can repeat the above with the exact same result every time."

Mine is a 3 mode and switches modes when slightly depressed, or if I turn it on and off fully within a second. If I wait any longer than that, it turns on at high brightness.

I actually love having the strobe mode because I walk home from the bus at night and turn it on when crossing dimly lit streets. I always look both ways and wait for cars, but its saved my ass a couple of times.

I'm okay with the way the 3 modes work. Click on and it works. Its when you play with the light on and off that you get low or strobe. Easy to remember to just double click through the modes.

Brightness is on par with my tomtops, color is a touch cooler, nothing that affects functionality at all.

Chiming in with my own review of this, wow amazing light. I ordered from lucky electronics so that I wouldn't get the 3 way, well I got 3 way, and just figured out how to use the 3 mode, turns out it's easy to bypass those modes if you push the button slightly harder, which bypasses the other 2 modes of low light, strobe. To cycle the 3 modes just lightly push the button instead.

Wow this thing is bright compared to my 9 led $1 light from Harbor frieght. Kicks ass over the $3 24led light I just got too. Might even be brighter than all my LED lights combined. I'm Using Nizn 1.6v batteries that I had lying around doing nothing, awesome so far. Wow only 1 AA at a time too, just so awesome, was getting tired of having to buy more rechargeable AAA.

thanks for the heads up, got that one too.

Slickone said:   I noticed one of the sellers (BestDeal777) that sells the flashlight on the Amazon page linked from the OP also has this:
"Mini 400 Lumens CREE Q5 LED Zoomable Adjustable Focus Flashlight Torch With Waterproof Design"
http://www.amazon.com/Lumens-Zoomable-Adjustable-Flashlight-Wate...
Think it's the same flashlight? It's ~$1 cheaper right now.

FYI, I had really good service from BestDeal777 when buying the one in the OP.

I have a lot of led flashlights. For the money these are very nice, especially to give to the kids to lose. The adjustable head is very useful except that it adds a bit of bulk if carried in your pocktet. The 14500 batteries are the way to go if you are willing to add another complexity layer to your battery inventory. I think 14500 is worth the trouble if you are trying to pack the most light into a small package. Comparing this light side by side to anything in this price range will show they are amazing deals. In the spirit of Fatwallet shoppers looking for bargains of useful items, this is a classic.

I get mine from China, for a little over $6 shipped. eBay seller I use is micro.digital. Lots of knock off versions all over the web, most should be OK but you never know for sure. I usually try to buy from some place that others have had good luck with. I got stiffed ordering these form dealseal.com out of China, they shut down and kept my money. Paypal refunded me reluctantly - catch this: When you try to file a dispute with Paypal for foreign orders they tell you to wait a few weeks, which then puts you outside side of their dispute window. Had to make some noise.

But I digress. The point is buy some of these, take your chances here and there. It's all fun and low dollars at risk. You will become a flashaholic in no time.

Which 14500 batteries would you recommend?

fishdeep said:   I have a lot of led flashlights. For the money these are very nice, especially to give to the kids to lose. The adjustable head is very useful except that it adds a bit of bulk if carried in your pocktet. The 14500 batteries are the way to go if you are willing to add another complexity layer to your battery inventory. I think 14500 is worth the trouble if you are trying to pack the most light into a small package. Comparing this light side by side to anything in this price range will show they are amazing deals. In the spirit of Fatwallet shoppers looking for bargains of useful items, this is a classic.

I get mine from China, for a little over $6 shipped. eBay seller I use is micro.digital. Lots of knock off versions all over the web, most should be OK but you never know for sure. I usually try to buy from some place that others have had good luck with. I got stiffed ordering these form dealseal.com out of China, they shut down and kept my money. Paypal refunded me reluctantly - catch this: When you try to file a dispute with Paypal for foreign orders they tell you to wait a few weeks, which then puts you outside side of their dispute window. Had to make some noise.

But I digress. The point is buy some of these, take your chances here and there. It's all fun and low dollars at risk. You will become a flashaholic in no time.

The blue UltraFire 900mah will perform at half of the stated capacity. TrustFire red and black 900mah are about 700 mah.

Got you, so these will do? ultrafire-14500

fishdeep said:   The blue UltraFire 900mah will perform at half of the stated capacity. TrustFire red and black 900mah are about 700 mah.

I don't have experience with those.
Buy these https://dx.com/p/trustfire-protected-14500-3-7v-900mah-rechargea...
or read the flashlight forums. My UltraFires are not great, so I was trying to warn you off of them.

Great thanks!

fishdeep said:   I don't have experience with those.
Buy these https://dx.com/p/trustfire-protected-14500-3-7v-900mah-rechargea...
or read the flashlight forums. My UltraFires are not great, so I was trying to warn you off of them.

lernim said:   Chiming in with my own review of this, wow amazing light. I ordered from lucky electronics so that I wouldn't get the 3 way, well I got 3 way, and just figured out how to use the 3 mode, turns out it's easy to bypass those modes if you push the button slightly harder, which bypasses the other 2 modes of low light, strobe. To cycle the 3 modes just lightly push the button instead.

That was posted earlier in this thread.

I was in for 4 - got them. Liked them so much in for 4 more.

Mawashi said:   Which 14500 batteries would you recommend?


Any <blank>fire named ones are going to be crap. You can find images of fake ones with a tiny flat cell in the outer casing. The non-fake ones are very overrated in capacity. I imagine they are just relabeled recycled cells that someone else already decided were bad.

Look for panasonic or sanyo. Yes, they cost more but paying an extra $5/cell beats your house burning down.

good to know, thx!
asabase said:   Mawashi said:   Which 14500 batteries would you recommend?


Any <blank>fire named ones are going to be crap. You can find images of fake ones with a tiny flat cell in the outer casing. The non-fake ones are very overrated in capacity. I imagine they are just relabeled recycled cells that someone else already decided were bad.

Look for panasonic or sanyo. Yes, they cost more but paying an extra $5/cell beats your house burning down.

Both of my flashlights have stopped working. Any idea what causes them to go bad or how to fix?

Slickone said:   Both of my flashlights have stopped working. Any idea what causes them to go bad or how to fix?What type of batteries were you using (1.5v, other)? Do any mods? How often did you use them? Under what conditions were they used? eg, underwater, dropped on concrete, etc?

I've never had one go bad, so it'd be good for the community to hear possible factors that may lead to an early death.

I have ordered about 10 in the last year, As of today all are working.
I am going to order more for gifts.

Same here, out of everything I've ordered they are all working great. One came with a crappy switch, but I rarely use that one anymore. Never used anything more than AA batteries (Alkaline or Rechargable).

Slickone said:   Both of my flashlights have stopped working. Any idea what causes them to go bad or how to fix?

I can tell you how to fix it for about $6...

Dotbody said:   Slickone said:   Both of my flashlights have stopped working. Any idea what causes them to go bad or how to fix?What type of batteries were you using (1.5v, other)? Do any mods? How often did you use them? Under what conditions were they used? eg, underwater, dropped on concrete, etc?

I've never had one go bad, so it'd be good for the community to hear possible factors that may lead to an early death.

Sorry I meant to state that I've never used anything but 1.5V single use. Also, no mods, never dropped on concrete. Perhaps dropped 2-3 feet on the carpet, but it's hard to remember that.

The first flashlight actually quit the first day, after turning it on no more than then times. The 2nd stopped much later, but I rarely used it.

However (I meant to mention this), on the 2nd flashlight, a battery leaked a little, and took off some of the paint inside where the battery goes. It didn't seem to reach the button, and only went halfway down the tube. The flashlight still worked. I put a little alcohol on a rag and wiped down in it to remove the corrosion and loose paint. Perhaps a tiny bit of alcohol got down into the head? I lit it sit and dry at least a day before using. Not positive but I think it worked when I put it back together and put it up, but didn't next time I went to use it. I know, I should have mentioned this. Anything I can check to get them working again?

Does anyone know what version "lovers2009" sells (1 or 3 mode)?

Slickone said:   Does anyone know what version "lovers2009" sells (1 or 3 mode)?
all of mine are still working,
but they are (1)mode..
which ones of yours died ?

I've ordered a dozen or more 3-mode ones over the last year or so. I specifically buy the 3-modes. Because most of the time the low beam will do. But when needed the bright is available. And the flashing as an emergency signal or to annoy.

I have 2 types within the subset of the 3-mode type. Both have CREE Q5 written on 1 side. One has HWA/WYS UltraFire written on the other side while the second has NF-A651. I like the stiffer button of the ones marked NF-A651. I've paid ~$5.58 - $6.50 shipped each on eBay.

I just now briefly checked prices on eBay. First most 3-modes are selling from ~$7 - $9 shipped. Second all the 3-modes I found only had CREE Q5 written on one side and were blank on the other side. Again it was only a brief search. In the past I've found at times over a hundred listings for these CREE Q5 flashlights.

Oh yeah I've keep most of them for myself. I've given 5 or so away to family and friends. I use them with Enelopes. I have 4 in my car with extra Enelopes. One in the drivers side door, another in the center console. Two in my trunk, one in my bugout bag and another next to the spare tire.

I like these flashlights!

RegUSPatOff said:   Slickone said:   Does anyone know what version "lovers2009" sells (1 or 3 mode)?
all of mine are still working,
but they are (1)mode..
which ones of yours died ?

They're all 3 mode.

... and the batteries are good ?
I've had some LED flashlights that wouldn't light at all when the batteries were low ..

A few new sellers coming in at $3.66 as the lowest price. Low number or no seller ratings, but if you're willing to take the chance, try em out. I've got 3 from bbqbuy, but for $3.66 shipped, i'll bite from the new guys.

I no longer see any below $4.50, but those are still some good prices. Anyone know the cheapest seller currently that sells the 1-mode lights?



Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014

It's time for an upgrade!

After a decade on our current platform, we're upgrading our plumbing. The site will be down for a few hours starting at 10PM CST tonight.

At FatWallet we strive to bring you the best coupons, deals and Cash Back. So please come back and check us out.