• Text Only
Voting History
rated:

Nokia 1
Disclaimer

Nokia 2
Disclaimer
Link

Updating the popular N800, Nokia has made significant improvements on its predecessor with the N810 Internet Tablet while retaining much of what made the N800 such an easy-to-use mobile multimedia/communications device. The N810 augments the onscreen keyboard with a backlit, slide-out QWERTY keyboard, and it also adds a front-facing webcam, 2 GB of internal storage (expandable via memory cards up to 8 GB), and integrated GPS. Built to be constantly in use, you'll easily stay in touch with business associates, friends, and family thanks to its VoIP calling, instant messaging and email connectivity. And with stereo audio, multimedia support and a new ergonomic design, the Nokia N800 morphs into a portable Internet entertainment device, enabling playback of streamed and downloaded content wherever you roam.

The 4.1-inch touchscreen has an 800 x 400-pixel resolution with up to 65K colors. You can access controls and an onscreen keyboard, or slide-out the physical QWERTY keyboard at the bottom for even easier typing. The N810 provides 2 GB of onboard flash memory and 128 MB of RAM. It also offers a single expansion slot that is compatible with Secure Digital (SD), MultiMedia, miniSD, and microSD memory cards with a size limit of 2 GB. (Adapter required for miniSD and microSD.) You can add up to 8 GB of memory when using Secure Digital High Capacity (SDHC) cards. You can also connect the N810 to a PC using the included USB cable to update software and transfer files from the PC to the a memory card.

For multimedia playback, the N800 is compatible with MP3 and WMA digital audio files, Real Audio streams, and video files encoded as AVI or MPEG4 (see specifications below for full compatibility list). The N810 has two integrated speakers as well as a 3.5mm headphone jack for personal listening.

The main form of connectivity is Wi-Fi (802.11b/g), and hooking up to a network is as simple as connecting with a laptop. You can also use the integrated Bluetooth wireless connectivity to hook up with a cell phone that is compatible with online data services. When connected to either a WLAN network or to a cell phone, you can make calls using the built-in Internet telephony application as well as conduct video conferencing with the built-in Web cam.

The Nokia N810 is powered by maemo Linux-based OS2008, which offers a highly customizable user interface and contains various features such as a Mozilla based browser with Ajax, Adobe Flash 9 and RSS feed reader, Bluetooth headset support as well as enhanced video and audio features. The refreshed Video Gizmo, and Rhapsody applications highlight some of the most popular downloads available while Boingo Wireless, Earthlink and The Cloud enable Wi-Fi connectivity across thousands of different locations globally.

Perfect for use on the go, the N810 includes an integrated GPS receiver and comes with preloaded maps that enable you to browse detailed locations, search for street addresses, find various points of interest (POI) as well as nearby Wi-Fi hotspots. You can also purchase an optional subscription to the Wayfinder Maps application for enhanced mobile navigation. Other features include:

•Integrated VGA web camera
•Support for IMAP4, SMTP, and POP3 email
•Games: chess, blocks, mahjong and marbles
•Integrated desk stand

Universal Plug and Play (UPnP)

Dimensions: 2.83 x 5.04 x 0.55 inches (LxWxD)

Weight: 7.97 ounces

Link

Member Summary
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Honestly, and I say this as a fan who invested over 10 grand in Maemo and MeeGo... a $67 Android A10 import tablet will do you better.

The software (and hardware) have just evolved so dramatically over the past two years, this is only good for the nostalgic.

Honestly Im amazed these things didn't depreciate faster. Obviously wimax is on the outs and anyone who really wants internet on a mobile platform probably already has a tablet or smartphone at this point with far more evolved android/ios platforms. It leaves this little guy segregated in terms of feature set. If you have an interest in tablets and would like to have a dedicated keyboard then it might just be relevant. As for the gps functionality, its limited at best and youll be better off sticking with a Garmin or tom tom as a purpose built device. Linux codemasters on the other hand will love this thing. It truly is hackable to an unlimited extent which is its best selling point at this point. Dev support is through the roof on it and still continues strong. I have one that I use primarily as a server monitor and apache proxy.

This is IDEAL for anyone who randomly buys tech items listed on "hot deals" forums without knowing or caring what they are buying.

In for one!

Don't be in the rush, take a look at that
What to do with an old Nokia 810?

Good company that makes good products....yeah, my 1st mobile phone was a Nokia.
However, it is leaded by the incompetant mgmt, who really lacking off business vision !!!

Is this a cell phone too? If so does it support GSM or CDMA?

bsam6463 said:   Is this a cell phone too?

No, it is not.

There is a WiMAX Edition that Clearwire is supposed to still activate, but this is not that edition. This is the Wi-Fi only edition. There was never a GSM or CDMA version of the N710/N800/N810/N900.

ramtor said:   Don't be in the rush, take a look at that
What to do with an old Nokia 810?

Don't be in a rush... read it.

You can flash the N810 with an ancient version of Android Donut, or an ancient version of Linux with KDE.

Sorry, but many Android devices within $50 of this can be flashed with Ubuntu or Fedora ARM and taken right up to the latest release.

I've seen many people buy these over the past year, and get totally let down. It says all the right bullet points to be years ahead of its time, but even for a hacker, it's stuck in the past.

asuka said:   There is a WiMAX Edition that Clearwire is supposed to still activate, but this is not that edition.

If only it were. My collection lacks the WiMAX Edition, plus that NIT has my favorite color scheme of the lot.

Even at $29.99 I would think twice. I have an N800. Cool for it's time, just like my C64.

Not quite correct the N900 does have cellular features. I'm using TMobile with mine and as far as I know they were only available in GSM. Nice when traveling to Europe I can just switch to DT. N900 has the ability to update to Android ice cream or you can run Debian command line. If you need REAL security it is the only thing close to a Blackberry when you used Debian on it. You can also turn off the GPS tracking feature in linux. Great for spooks and prodigal spouses.

nsdp said:   Not quite correct the N900 does have cellular features.

This thread is, and the question was, about the N810 though.

I wish it would have Android!

nsdp said:   Not quite correct the N900 does have cellular features. I'm using TMobile with mine and as far as I know they were only available in GSM. Nice when traveling to Europe I can just switch to DT. N900 has the ability to update to Android ice cream or you can run Debian command line. If you need REAL security it is the only thing close to a Blackberry when you used Debian on it. You can also turn off the GPS tracking feature in linux. Great for spooks and prodigal spouses.

My bad, it never really landed stateside. Forgot.

Still, device-wide encryption on Android 4.0 is solid. And works with the chi-com patent infringers for $75 shipped. You can root, but you'll still be locked out of user data without the password. Combined with antivirus, and staying within the walled gardens, I'd give it to everyone south of POTUS.

eddierd said:   I wish it would have Android!

Ask and you shall receive. http://guug.org/nit/nitdroid/ It is pretty slow on the 770. I have two770's one hacked to Android. Larger screen and good for email on the go.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014