• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Save $25 after promo code and mail in rebate. Beats other sellers an average of $26 and up with free shipping. Features ATSC/ClearQAM/NTSC tuners (125 channel cable ready), Dual tuners (analog & digital inpute), capture and record in HD to your PC's hard drive, MPEG-2 encoding for analog recording, FM radio input, MCE Remote and a 2 year limited warranty.

$99.99 List
-$10.00 Instant
-$5.00 Promo Code: EMCNBHB45 (expires 9/3)
-$20.00 Mail in Rebate
* Valid for purchases 8/28-9/3 *
-----------------------
$64.99 Final Price

LINK

Hauppauge turns your PC into an HDTV with their WinTV-HVR-1800. This PCIe X1 card has three tuners: FM radio, NTSC, and ATSC/clear QAM. The NTSC tuner is a 125 channel cable ready tuner for all of your standard over the air broadcasts or regular cable TV. The ATSC/clear QAM tuner supports all 18 ATSC formats including 1080i. You can watch the programming live or record it to disk as an MPEG-2 program stream.

There is also an S-Video input with coax audio inputs so you can attach a VCR to copy your old tapes onto DVD. An S-Video to composite adapter makes it possible to use a wider range of machines with the card.

ADVANCED TV TUNER
Loaded with the latest in digital TV technologies, the Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-1800 MCE lets you receive ATSC high definition digital TV, QAM TV and analog cable TV, all on your computer.

YOUR PERSONAL DIGITAL VIDEO RECORDER
With the Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-1800 MCE, capture live TV shows directly to your PC's hard disk or record high definition digital ATSC and QAM in the original digital quality, and schedule the recordings of your favorite analog or digital TV programming using the WinTV-Scheduler.

HARDWARE VIDEO ENCODING
The Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-1800 MCE features a built-in MPEG-2 hardware encoder to record high-quality analog cable TV without occupying CPU resources.

REMOTE CONTROL
With the full-function remote control, access every feature on the Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-1800 MCE from across the room without tangling wires.

Newegg
Need a Newegg coupon that earns 1.0% FatWallet Cash Back?
Member Summary

View 2 (18.62kB)
Thanks nave74
Disclaimer

In the box (15.82kB)
Thanks nave74
Disclaimer
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:

New Egg site says Certified for Windows Vista......

Will this work for Windows 7 ?

XP drivers?

How old is this card?

thanks

I have the OEM version of this card and it works great with Windows Media Center and over the air digital TV. The tuner is really good, better than several of my TVs.

I have this card and here is basically my stance on the product. The hardware, as always with Hauppauge is TOP NOTCH. This card does an AMAZING job. But If you do not have Windows Media Center, the provided software is GARBAGE.

Again, if you have Windows Vista or 7 with Media Center, this thing is gold. I paid about 100$ for mine and was very happy with my purchase

Basset said:   New Egg site says Vista......Will this work for Windows 7 ?

How old is this card?

thanks

Yes it works with Win7. My HTPC has the OEM version of this running Win7. I don't like their software that comes with it. For me I installed the drivers and used Windows build in media center.

If you get one, don't throw away the driver/software CD. You need it to perform WinTV updates and there are no fresh installs of the software due to license requirements and replacements cost $10
http://www.hauppauge.com/site/support/support_hvr1800.html

Basset said:   New Egg site says Certified for Windows Vista......

XP drivers?

How old is this card?

thanks

Edit: Per later post, it's been around since 2003. I had the PCI version (HVR-1650) in my previous HTPC incarnation.

Note that this is a full-height card, so you won't be able to get it in a half-height desktop case. I can't use my HVR-1650 in my new HTPC media center-style case for this reason.

Also note the difference in tuner config between PCI-E cards:
- HVR-1250: single tuner that records 1 analog or 1 digital stream, but not both simultaneously
- HVR-1850: dual tuner that can record 1 analog and 1 digital simultaneously; it will not record 2 analog or 2 digital streams
- HVR-2250: dual tuner that can record 2 streams of analog or digital simultaneously; i.e, it can record 2 digital, 2 analog, or 1 of each

Lastly, this card will not record encrypted QAM, as it does not offer a cable card slot. As OP mentions, this will record over-the-air (OTA)(ATSC), analog cable that doesn't go through a cable box(NTSC), or clear QAM (either straight out of the wall if unencrypted, or after the cable box if encrypted).

Some alternatives to Windows Media Center:
- NextPVR (free for Windows; donations appreciated)
- MythTV (free for Linux; donations appreciated - requires subscription to electronic program guide (EPG))

Big ditto on Evander's comment; keep the disc!

Hoogineer said:   Basset said:   New Egg site says Certified for Windows Vista......

XP drivers?

How old is this card?

thanks

This is a newer card, since it's PCI-E. I had the PCI version (HVR-1650) in my previous HTPC incarnation.

PCIe has been around since the early 2000's (almost 10 years now). The big question is which version of PCIe is this? That'll help determine the true age of this card.

This is way over priced for a single digital tuner, full height card which is unpopular for HTPCs. Also, the sensor appears to be plugged in to the card. I doubt it is a real MCE remote. I don't think it can even wake up a PC.

kickerstarter said:   This is way over priced for a single digital tuner, full height card which is unpopular for HTPCs. Also, the sensor appears to be plugged in to the card. I doubt it is a real MCE remote. I don't think it can even wake up a PC.

It's true, it can't. You need a standalone remote with a USB IR receiver to get it to wake up. It is an annoyance that I circumvent with a small keyboard remote, which doesn't take up lots of space and which I can use for text input and web surfing on the big screen.

If you receive cable TV from a company that also still streams basic cable in analog, you can use this to also pick up that input. Otherwise, you're right, there's not a lot of use for an analog tuner.

Even if you do get a analog feed from cable, you should do yourself a favor by coming out of the cave. Digital age is here. Digital broadcast is clear and in HD. The only use for analog input I could think of is to archive your VHS / Beta collections.

I've bought 5 of these and they work great. They don't have the remote ($16 Amazon) or the fm tuner (who needs it).

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=200811222474&index=1&nav=SEARCH&nid=85518421618

I have one of these in my Windows 7 machine ... the card works great as usual from Hauppaguge (this is my 4th card from them over the years).

I highly recommend the $10 upgrade to WinTV that gives you WinTV Extend ... it allows you to stream from your desktop PC to other desktops, tablets or phones. I used mine to watch TV on my tablet (Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1) and my iPhone 4 pretty regularly. There is some built in functionality to make it easier to remote view streams as well. I used that to watch Sabres hockey games while travelling for work last season. I agree with a previous poster that WinTV as an application on a desktop is pretty rough and kinda annoying, but Extend more than makes up for it IMHO.

bugsie said:   

PCIe has been around since the early 2000's (almost 10 years now). The big question is which version of PCIe is this? That'll help determine the true age of this card.

Am'zons info... Date first available: August 22, 2003

kickerstarter said:   Even if you do get a analog feed from cable, you should do yourself a favor by coming out of the cave. Digital age is here. Digital broadcast is clear and in HD. The only use for analog input I could think of is to archive your VHS / Beta collections.

Sorry to offend you, I record from analog all the time. So there some reason I can't record/watch news programs from an analog feed? or is the part they cut off the side with nothing on it that important? Or I could pay more to the cable company for HD box, and then not be able to record it on the $15 analog card. You can throw 5 of these cheap cards in a PC, and install some free software and record 5 streams at once. How am I going to do it cheaper than that?

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014