• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Fans in various football message boards are reporting success in getting packages (eg - NFL Max and Sunday Ticket) free and/or monthly discounts (up to $40/month) when they call DirectTV and complain that they won't be carrying the Pac-12 Networks.

The deal fell through in the last 24 hours and w/ college football starting tonight there are some grumpy fans out there! Pretend to be one as well and perhaps you could also get discounts. Probably works best if you're already paying for a sports package.

helpful links:
List of Pac-12 teams - Pretend to be a die-hard fan of one of them!
Pac-12 football schedule if you wanna pick any particular game(s) to gripe about having to miss:
More info on the deal falling through

I don't have DirectTV myself but thought I'd share. Good luck!

DIRECTV
See DIRECTV discounts that earn $55.00 FatWallet Cash Back.
Member Summary

NFL Max and Sunday Ticket (28.92kB)
Thanks Logician1313
Disclaimer
  • Also categorized in:

was PAC-12 part of the regular lineup, or was it only for people with the sports package?

PAC-12 Networks is brand-new and was thus never part of DirectTV before.

I don't get any sort of satellite TV and/or cable TV but I'm assuming it would've part of a sports package rather than part of any regular lineup.

Last year, I called for the heck of it, all their Advertizing about Free NFL package.. I was told, its for NEW users.. well, I"m a Very OLD user, and, I proceded to tell him how Good business practices would take Care of OLD customers.. he put me on hold, talked to a sup, came back, and gave me the deal.... free
now, the Problem arouse.. when I called for my annual discounts to try and keep my bill lower.. I was told, can't do anyMore.. I already got like $500 rewards.... so, just a caution.. good luck!

The big Ten network is part of the normal offering, and not a seperate sports package. from what I read, the pac16 was going to be a new offering.

If they drop the Big Ten network, and its 5 channels, I would be a former directv customer that very day.

No luck here. Tried twice :/

LORENW said:   The big Ten network is part of the normal offering, and not a seperate sports package. from what I read, the pac16 was going to be a new offering.

If they drop the Big Ten network, and its 5 channels, I would be a former directv customer that very day.

Pac-12, though it would've been cool if the Pac-16 came to fruition and the conference went to the "pod" system w/ the California schools all in the same pod!

WhiteGuy said:   No luck here. Tried twice :/

Do/did you have any sports packages? I'm guessing they're only giving discounts to those who have/had sports packages (as "proof" that you actually care about the Pac-12 Networks not being carried) and even then it's probably hit or miss.

In any case sorry you didn't get any comps out of it.

LORENW said:   The big Ten network is part of the normal offering, and not a seperate sports package. from what I read, the pac16 was going to be a new offering.

they wouldn't drop one to carry the other, they would just carry both.

This is precisely why a la carte pricing has got to become a reality in this country.

tante said:   LORENW said:   The big Ten network is part of the normal offering, and not a seperate sports package. from what I read, the pac16 was going to be a new offering.

they wouldn't drop one to carry the other, they would just carry both.

Yeah, I also think they'd just carry both. I'm not sure LORENW was saying that DirectTV would drop conference network for the other though but rather saying that w/o the Bit Ten network is important enough to him that he'd drop DirectTV if they stopped carrying the Big 10 Network. I certainly know a bunch of Pac-12 fans dropped DirectTV yesterday!

GuyIdaho said:   This is precisely why a la carte pricing has got to become a reality in this country.

I saw some discussion about this same thing on the football message boards and feelings were mixed on if this would become a good thing or not. Some said it'd be better because you would just pay for the channels you want while others said the prices per channel would be prohibitively expensive and you'd just get gouged even more.

FYI - Dish Networks is now carrying the Pac-12 Networks as of this morning. This change probably puts more pressure on DirectTV to give discounts to retain customers. Call and threaten to leave to Dish or cable. You guys know the drill.

http://pac-12.com/Sports/Pac-12News/Article/tabid/362/Article/20...

Dish Network is offering a free preview of Pac12 Network...translation, they will be charging for it. May mute the leverage you would have in complaining about not getting it. FYI.

wabashtex said:   Dish Network is offering a free preview of Pac12 Network...translation, they will be charging for it. May mute the leverage you would have in complaining about not getting it. FYI.

I don't doubt Dish will charge for Pac-12 Networks however for many sports fans money isn't an issue. I would go for the "I can't watch the [insert team/school here] games!" angle and say you're going to have to switch so you can watch the games. Let DirectTV offer you the discounts and such (instead of asking for them yourself).

OK, I just called and cried about not being able to get NFL Sunday Ticket for free as is being advertised. It probably helps that my contract was due to expire in Dec of this year. The first rep I talked to Courtney wasn't helpful at all, but the next David was awesome! He hooked me up with NFL Sunday ticket MAX AND ESPN.com College Gameday (Gameday for 1 month only) for free. The catch was that I had to extend my contract through Sep of next year a year extension from todays date. Even if I don't and cancel early thee is only a $10/month charge for unused months.

no go on this end. Called twice. None would even give me a discount on NFL ticket let alone have it for free. Even went as far as to have the cancellation date being set.

clayfu said:   no go on this end. Called twice. None would even give me a discount on NFL ticket let alone have it for free. Even went as far as to have the cancellation date being set.

i did it for 3 people, got everyone sunday ticket, max, and money off their bill
only 1 required a contract extension

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014