• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Adorama has the Nikon factory refurbished D5100, body only, for $429 with 2% Fat cash. This is a solid eBay used price, and Nikon refurbished cameras have a great history of low shutter releases (i.e. barely used). I already have a couple great lenses, but if you need one the camera can be had for $539 including the 18-55mm VR kit lens that is actually very well regarded.

Body only: Linky

Body + 15-55mm lens: Linky too

I've been considering dropping a grand on a D7000 for awhile now, and am going on a big trip but have heard too much about the dynamic range of the D3200 sensor and so I think the D7100 or whatever Nikon puts out in the next few months will probably be pretty incredible. In the meantime, my D80 is showing it's age and certainly doesn't perform in low-light due to low quality images at ISO 800 and 1600. So meet the D5100, which gets me video capability along with the same sensor as the D7000 for great low-light images, and a price that is compelling enough to purchase now, and sell in 6+ months when I'm ready to drop more money on the "right" camera, whatever it is.

Comes with Nikon 90 day warranty.

Eligible for Bill Me Later 6-months free interest/no payments financing (just make sure you pay it off in full before 6 months are up).

Adorama
Need a Adorama coupon that earns 1.0% FatWallet Cash Back?
Member Summary

Nikon D5100 dSLR
Thanks Logician1313
Disclaimer
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

thanks for posting. No tax and shipping makes it a very good deal. Now if only I can decide whether to get the 35mm or 50mm prime

pr4n4y said:   thanks for posting. No tax and shipping makes it a very good deal. Now if only I can decide whether to get the 35mm or 50mm prime

I've read many opinions on the matter, and let me tell you what I'm doing. I just got a 50mm D lens in December (i.e. NOT AF-S which means no built-in focus motor) and use it with my D80. Honestly, I LOVE the portrait style pictures I take with it, but the lens is not friendly indoors because of the zoom length (75mm on APC sensors). I'm going to sell my 50mm and spend double now to get the 35mm lens, of course one that DOES have the built-in focus motor since the D5100 doesn't have a focus motor.

If you plan to shoot photos of your kids/friends/family around the house, indoor parties, etc., get the 35mm.

DirtCheapDad said:   
I'm going to sell my 50mm and spend double now to get the 35mm lens, of course one that DOES have the built-in focus motor since the D5100 doesn't have a focus motor.

If you plan to shoot photos of your kids/friends/family around the house, indoor parties, etc., get the 35mm.

Thanks for helping. Where can I get the best price for the 35mm lens? most resellers have it for around 199. Am leaning towards Crutchfield because of their ongoing double points promo...

Thanks DirtCheapDad!

pr4n4y said:   DirtCheapDad said:   
I'm going to sell my 50mm and spend double now to get the 35mm lens, of course one that DOES have the built-in focus motor since the D5100 doesn't have a focus motor.

Thanks for helping. Where can I get the best price for the 35mm lens? most resellers have it for around 199. Am leaning towards Crutchfield because of their ongoing double points promo...

$199 is probably about as good as you're going to get. Use some coupon, points, etc. to try and get at least some benefit.

Bought 1. Thx OP.

Mine just arrived yesterday and got to play with it this morning. I like the size of my D80 (larger) better, and the body definitely feels more substantial. The D80 just has the dual control wheels, layout of buttons and quick controls that you get in higher end cameras. On the other hand, I can already see the quality difference in a few test shots, and the D5100 is a lot better.

Checked shutter actuations (uploaded photo to myshuttercount.com) - only 563. That's great and fits what I've heard about Nikon refurbs...they're practically brand new.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014