• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
Local Target finally had it for $69.99. I was under the impression that the price won't change if there is no item to tag. Good thing I kept the last one in my secret hiding place
(under the shelf rack) for the last 2 weeks. I thinking of leaving it for 2/3 more weeks and wait for price to go at $49.99, but I needed a HDD.

SKORPI0 said:   Local Target finally had it for $69.99. I was under the impression that the price won't change if there is no item to tag. Good thing I kept the last one in my secret hiding place
(under the shelf rack) for the last 2 weeks. I thinking of leaving it for 2/3 more weeks and wait for price to go at $49.99, but I needed a HDD.


whats your zip code?

excx said:   

whats your zip code?


60462 (Orland Park.IL Target).

Also $69.99 in the Phoenix area, but the only one remaining was a return that had obviously been abused (person tried had opened the enclosure, might have substituted another internal HD). And oddly the 1TB version was still $79.99.

Grabbed the last two on the shelf at Target in Holmdel, NJ on Sunday for $70 each. Based on the reviews, not sure what to do: use them as is, open them for the internal drives, or return them.


at check out counter
Disclaimer

4 drives at shelf
Disclaimer
Went shopping again. Scored one at first Target, the only one they had.
The Pearland/518 store had 4 but only bought 3.

Cashier gave me a heads up. I applied and got a Target CC. Gave me 5 percent off that purchase. That was about a bit more than 10 bucks. So about $3.50 the clearnce price of $69.98 for total of about $66.50

Thanks OP

i hid one and wait for 50% off

HIV said:   i hid one and wait for 50% off

of course I spoke with the cute cashier, at the electronics department, not the cashier at the cash out.
She told me they go around looking for items customers hide. She was telling me all the places items are hid. Also tole me the cams do a good job of steering them to where we hide them.

At 69.98, I figured they were a good deal, esp since I bought 2 last week and did not want to take a change in hiding 3/4 more.

Steve0 said:   Grabbed the last two on the shelf at Target in Holmdel, NJ on Sunday for $70 each. Based on the reviews, not sure what to do: use them as is, open them for the internal drives, or return them.

What reviews? Can you post where you read those? Hope not here, by those pissed off that they could not score.

Those that can not score one get mad and give whatever item a bad review. Like the story of the fox what was hungry and wanted to eat the grapes. After hours of jumping/trying to get to the grapes, he gave up and said.
"Oh well, I really did not want any"

wh0ligan said:   [Q=LuscusRex;]





EDIT: I just checked and none in stock anywhere around me. Then it seems that this is an old thread. Subby next time please put Target clearance deals in the correct thread, thanks!


If this is an old thread how come I scored 4 today?

Steve0 said:   Grabbed the last two on the shelf at Target in Holmdel, NJ on Sunday for $70 each. Based on the reviews, not sure what to do: use them as is, open them for the internal drives, or return them.

These are not good for internal drives. Why? RPM is 5900. Too slow for desktops but good for backup purposes where speed is not that important.

myardor said:   Steve0 said:   Grabbed the last two on the shelf at Target in Holmdel, NJ on Sunday for $70 each. Based on the reviews, not sure what to do: use them as is, open them for the internal drives, or return them.

What reviews? Can you post where you read those? Hope not here, by those pissed off that they could not score.

Those that can not score one get mad and give whatever item a bad review. Like the story of the fox what was hungry and wanted to eat the grapes. After hours of jumping/trying to get to the grapes, he gave up and said.
"Oh well, I really did not want any"


You want me to Google that for you?

Picked up the last one at Target in Fremont (Auto Mall). Inventory checker said low inventory. Picked up the last 2TB that was tucked behind several 1TB, and someone had put a clearance marked 1TB ($69) in the 2TB row. $69+tax-red card 5%. Thanks OP!

One left at Target near Pittsburgh airport as of yesterday (9/18) at the $69 price (30% off). 500gb and 320gb portable drives are at 50% off, about a dozen of those left. I think the price on those after discount is about $30-$35 each.

Steve0 said:   myardor said:   Steve0 said:   Grabbed the last two on the shelf at Target in Holmdel, NJ on Sunday for $70 each. Based on the reviews, not sure what to do: use them as is, open them for the internal drives, or return them.

What reviews? Can you post where you read those? Hope not here, by those pissed off that they could not score.

Those that can not score one get mad and give whatever item a bad review. Like the story of the fox what was hungry and wanted to eat the grapes. After hours of jumping/trying to get to the grapes, he gave up and said.
"Oh well, I really did not want any"


You want me to Google that for you?

Nope, I did that and did not fine any BAD reviews.
So asking to prove what you say.
Just saying.

I want proof, proof proof.
As your post is only your you just saying. Not good enough for me

Geez people... FW tech buyers know where to look for reviews... Newegg and Amazon.

Here is the Newegg reviews link

It looks like the case is probably crap, but the drive is good. Lots of reviews noting this is a 7200rpm drive. I'm actually hoping for a cool and quiet running 5x00 rpm drive since I want this as a storage drive in one of my computers. I'll be breaking it open tonight to see what I got this morning from Target and report accordingly. Maybe they switched to a slower drive to reduce overheating problems which melts the USB connection components - that appears to be causing most/all the failures being reported in Newegg reviews, even people just using the drive a few days.

Was in stock online. I tried calling to ask for a hold. When I showed up, the item was gone

Not a waste of time for me. site showed limited stock, ran over at lunch two on shelf shrink-wrapped can't wait to take it home and try it out. Also thinking about making it an eternal, does anyone have specs on whats inside, will have to look at seagate site.

pun123 said:   Not a waste of time for me. site showed limited stock, ran over at lunch two on shelf shrink-wrapped can't wait to take it home and try it out. Also thinking about making it an eternal, does anyone have specs on whats inside, will have to look at Seagate site.

Drive is an external with a USB3.0 port.

myardor said:   Steve0 said:   These are not good for internal drives. Why? RPM is 5900. Too slow for desktops but good for backup purposes where speed is not that important.Nobody can notice the 18% slower RPM.


drive 1
Disclaimer

drive 2
Disclaimer
Seems to have dropped. I got 2 at Hanover , Ma store for $49.98.

I also just got the only one left at a store that had "limited stock" for $49.98! Used redcard for 5% more off. Thanks, OP, for the deal. Personally, I'm glad this wasn't in the Target Clearance thread, or I would have missed it, especially since it took a while for them to be clearanced in my area -- I checked a couple weeks ago and everything was full price.

DirtCheapDad said:   Geez people... FW tech buyers know where to look for reviews... Newegg and Amazon.

Here is the Newegg reviews link

It looks like the case is probably crap, but the drive is good. Lots of reviews noting this is a 7200rpm drive. I'm actually hoping for a cool and quiet running 5x00 rpm drive since I want this as a storage drive in one of my computers. I'll be breaking it open tonight to see what I got this morning from Target and report accordingly. Maybe they switched to a slower drive to reduce overheating problems which melts the USB connection components - that appears to be causing most/all the failures being reported in Newegg reviews, even people just using the drive a few days.


Bad review, this is not a 7200RPM drive as this review says...and LOTS OF REVIEWS NOTING THIS IS A 7200 rpm drive

BUT then again FW techies know how to find the rpm speed.
Need a screenshot? to prove it is 5900rpm?
Can provide it if requested

anybody opened it? is it easy to open? I only need the internal hdd

Opened mine last night and already hooked up as an internal drive. Only showing up as 1.81TB...not sure what calculation Seagate used to come up with their 2TB capacity rating. Sorry I didn't take any pictures just yet...it was late. The drive noted that it was an eco drive, which I assume means its one of Seagate's 5900rpm drives.

The case is easily opening with a blade screwdriver. Work from the back end where you plug in power/USB, and as you spread the case apart the plastic snap tabs will start breaking and release the case. There probably isn't a way to open it without breaking the tabs, so you're likely SOL on the warranty when you do this. After you get the back spread enough, start working your way down the sides. I split about half way on one side, did the same on the other side, and then completed the rest of the way towards the front on each side. Once I had done that, the top pretty much opened like it's on a hinge in the front.

I then used a fine tip screw driver to cleanly pry away all the metal tape holding the drive in place. Once that is out of the way, you'll need to gently lift up the drive a little, and pull away from the USB end. You're trying to slide it out of the power/SATA connectors without breaking anything. This was fairly easy. Hook up to my computer was no problem. Just reformatted and humming along perfectly.

Putty knives are usually a good way to open these types of cases up too. I've opened a few and keep as spares in my parts box.

HIV said:   anybody opened it? is it easy to open? I only need the internal hddThe customer who previously bought mine tried to and didn't completely succeed (something is rattling inside).

Try searching "open Seagate" or "open Seagate expanion":

http://skeena.net/blog/Seagate%20ST310005EXA101-RK%209SE2A4-571%...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2vUMO2mGLE (this person broke some tabs)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2MGZ7DE-vM


Some versions of this Seagate external have a case with screws on the bottom that can be accessed by removing the rubber feet.

Many videos recommend opening external drive cases by prying with a flat-bladed screwdriver, but it's usually better to use something dull, thin, and smooth, like a putty knife or dinner knife because it can slip between the pieces easier and is less likely to nick the plastic. If you break any tabs, they can probably be re-glued with solvent (hobby shop liquid model glue, electronic parts supply radio & TV case repair glue, lacquer thinner, throttle body/carburetor spray cleaner, but never super glue or epoxy), but don't reassemble the case for at least 48 hours, until the repair develops full strength.

I'd probably definitely open up a USB 2.0 external drive, but I don't know about a USB 3.0 because it's as fast as SATA, provided you have a USB 3.0 port in your computer.

Got last one at the Reynoldsburg/East Columbus (Ohio) Target.

Thanks OP!

hbg1 said:   I also just got the only one left at a store that had "limited stock" for $49.98! Used redcard for 5% more off. Thanks, OP, for the deal. Personally, I'm glad this wasn't in the Target Clearance thread, or I would have missed it, especially since it took a while for them to be clearanced in my area -- I checked a couple weeks ago and everything was full price.
also seems to have gone from $99.99 straight to $49.98 this week in 90247, but they're all gone. A couple of the Seagate portables are still sitting there because they aren't clearance-tagged.

Ya, went by a local store that showed limited stock, none to be found which likely means some tool reseller went in and stashed them somewhere. Oh well.

Grabbed one in Delray Beach Florida yesterday, $69.98. Need three more for my Drobo 4 bay NAS that's on the way. The drive is a Seagate Green drive, 5900 rpm which saves power and is perfect for a NAS. If you need one, goto my 1st deal posted Link to DROBO Deal

How to disassemble a Seagate Expansion Drive with (Pics 2.0 not 3.0) pretty close

limited stock in all Maine stores, showing $99.99 everywhere

Found three in Yakima, WA. $69.99. Bought one.

quickNdirty said:   Ya, went by a local store that showed limited stock, none to be found which likely means some tool reseller went in and stashed them somewhere. Oh well.The price only drops if the mark-down crew scans the item.

Thanks OP, and the price is cheap!

delzy said:   quickNdirty said:   Ya, went by a local store that showed limited stock, none to be found which likely means some tool reseller went in and stashed them somewhere. Oh well.The price only drops if the mark-down crew scans the item.


SKORPI0 said:   Local Target finally had it for $69.99. I was under the impression that the price won't change if there is no item to tag. Good thing I kept the last one in my secret hiding place
(under the shelf rack) for the last 2 weeks. I thinking of leaving it for 2/3 more weeks and wait for price to go at $49.99, but I needed a HDD.

Still full price in Dallas, $119!!!

Was perusing clearance items at Target today and saw this for $70.01 (wasn't aware of this thread). I picked it up and came here to see if it was a decent deal. Guess I'll keep it for the price.

I found three more, one in Sunrise, and two more in Pembroke Pines. I opened all four last night and installed them in my new Drobo. Everyone is correct, 2 were Baracuda 7200 ST2000DM001 with DOM 12/2011 and 01/2012.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148834
The other two with DOM 05/2012 were Baracuda green 5900 ST2000DL003
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148681
So I guess they went green because of the heat issues.
Both with 64 MB Cache.



Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014