• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Reminder for Discover Card holders:

Signup is now available for the OCT-DEC 5% Cash Back. Category - Dept Stores & Online shopping

Max CB is $75 (5% of 1500 in purchases).

Linky

* Earn 5% CashBack Bonus for Department store and online purchases from 10/1/12 (or the date on which you signed up, whichever is later) through 12/31/12, subject to a cap of $1500 in purchases. Department stores are defined as retailers selling a wide variety of merchandise, with separate checkout counters in each department.Amounts that are not charged to your card during your online purchase will not qualify. These purchases must post to your account by 12/31/12 and do not count towards determining your eligibility to earn 1%. Purchases made at warehouse clubs or discount stores are not eligible. If a purchase is coded for a category other than those listed above, it will not qualify. Rewards are added to your CashBack Bonus account within 2 billing periods. See CashBack Bonus Program Terms and Conditions for further details

Member Summary

Discover Card
Thanks UncleRico
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
Tried and denied the 5%, though I did get the 2% daily special. Another 2% bonus Dec. 22.

lokimoki (Dec. 18, 2012 @ 1:31a) |

Thanks OP

ElGuache (Dec. 18, 2012 @ 1:56a) |

Agree. I was warned that online bill pays will not count.

FW10001 (Dec. 21, 2012 @ 12:02p) |

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TY OP!

Thanks for the reminder wallet99

Excellent! Preciate ya!

thank you

Thanks OP.

Good timing for Christmas and mall shopping online. Remember that the total limit for the 3 months is $1,500.00 in purchases.

Interesting, I wonder if they would consider a charge to Amazon Payments to be "online shopping."

not available at either of my DISCOVER accounts, so YMMV...

fattywallace said:   not available at either of my DISCOVER accounts, so YMMV...Same here! Time to apply for a new CC

I'm presuming "Online Shopping" includes Amazon... which makes this hot indeed. Thanks for the heads up, OP.

AMEX gift cards?

orthros said:   I'm presuming "Online Shopping" includes Amazon... which makes this hot indeed. Thanks for the heads up, OP.

The terms said ALL online shopping and I did not see a specific exclusions list.

Thanks for the reminder!

munkyxtc said:   orthros said:   I'm presuming "Online Shopping" includes Amazon... which makes this hot indeed. Thanks for the heads up, OP.

The terms said ALL online shopping and I did not see a specific exclusions list.

Everybody on FWF knows what that means, too bad the cap is 1500.

Connman said:   fattywallace said:   not available at either of my DISCOVER accounts, so YMMV...Same here! Time to apply for a new CC

you can call the number on your card and convert your card to this rewards program. i just did so.

yep... cap of 1500 is not good

lokimoki said:   AMEX gift cards?

Or Payusatax? Both are online purchases.

munkyxtc said:   orthros said:   I'm presuming "Online Shopping" includes Amazon... which makes this hot indeed. Thanks for the heads up, OP.

It does: "Purchases made at warehouse clubs or discount stores are not eligible."

So I think WalMart.com and perhaps target.com are not eligible.

not sure if the websites are eligible or not but in the case of target.com, you're better off getting and using their redcard for 5% all year round with free shipping.

Discover MORE Card is what you want.
Call Discover to clear up any type questions you may have.
WalMart and Sams stay at 1/4%. 2% promotions and 5% promotions usually are not excluded by Discover

DON`T MISS THIS DAY: On [10/6 only] you could get as high as 1% + [2%] + 5% = 8% plus 5-20% Shop Discover CashBack plus any seller sales/promotions.

Does using the Discover card for Paypal (eBay) or general on-line bill payment count as an on-line purchase?

jw530 said:   Does using the Discover card for Paypal (eBay) or general on-line bill payment count as an on-line purchase?
Wondering same thing. How about paying utilities, car insurance, etc online... Would those count as online shopping?

tracfancier said:   Discover MORE Card is what you want.
WalMart and Sams stay at 1/4%. 2% promotions and 5% promotions usually are not excluded by Discover

DON`T MISS THIS DAY: On [10/6 only] you could get as high as 1% + [2%] + 5% = 8% plus 5-20% Shop Discover CashBack plus any seller sales/promotions.

SAw that, and spoke to rep who said % off does stack!!!!!!!!

The site won't let me register a WalMart Discover card and tells me to manage it at the WalMart site. Wouldn't this effectively exclude Sams / Wamlart cards from most if not all promotions?

KuoH

tracfancier said:   WalMart and Sams stay at 1/4%. 2% promotions and 5% promotions usually are not excluded by Discover

This is a silly question, but is there a "plain" Discover card, i.e. not a 'More' or 'Escape' or whatever?

jw530 said:   Does using the Discover card for Paypal (eBay) or general on-line bill payment count as an on-line purchase?
I am wondering about this as well. Any thoughts?

Paul said:   jw530 said:   Does using the Discover card for Paypal (eBay) or general on-line bill payment count as an on-line purchase?
I am wondering about this as well. Any thoughts?

A few years ago when Discover had 5% CB for online shopping, Paypal payments (both paying for eBay seller's fees and paying for items bought on eBay) counted as online shopping.

I am also wondering about on-line bill payment.

Extra 2% on Saturday October 6. What's everyone buying?

lokimoki said:   Extra 2% on Saturday October 6. What's everyone buying?

I'll be searching for FW deals that day.

I'm planning to pay for discounted gift cards from eBay on the 6th.

Those of you who win items on eBay between Oct 2-5, delay paypal payment to the 6th (you get 4 days to pay per eBay's policy).

tracfancier said:   Discover MORE Card is what you want.

The 5% already includes the 1% on everyday purchases. In addition it clearly states that on purchases that qualify for the 2%, you don't get the 1% CashBack. I.e. the above calculation counted the 1% twice, while I believe it doesn't get counted at all.

It sounds like you qualify for 6% for purchases on 10/6. I.e. 4% for online purchases + 2% bonus.

(4% is the 5% CashBack, minus the 1% that you don't qualify for)

diswes said:   

SAw that, and spoke to rep who said % off does stack!!!!!!!!

I wish this post had been a little more clear. Of course the previous post was wrong. But there is multiple stacking going on. Are you saying the 2% doesn't stack with the 5% or the Shop Discover bonus?

StartByServingOthers said:   
The 5% already includes the 1% on everyday purchases. In addition it clearly states that on purchases that qualify for the 2%, you don't get the 1% CashBack. I.e. the above calculation counted the 1% twice, while I believe it doesn't get counted at all.

It sounds like you qualify for 6% for purchases on 10/6. I.e. 4% for online purchases + 2% bonus.

(4% is the 5% CashBack, minus the 1% that you don't qualify for)

You will get 5% for online purchase + 2% bonus = 7%. Back in August, Discover did a double bonus from Aug 15 - 31. I bought gas (gas was 5% from Jul - Sep), and I got 7% back. My statement only had this one purchase, so I know 7% came from that purchase.

whats a department store? target?

titan01 said:   whats a department store? target?Sears, JCP, Macy's, Kohl's, etc.

Not sure about Target, Kmart, WalMart, etc.

titan01 said:   whats a department store? target?

Department stores are usually defined in these promotions as having a cash register in each department. For example, Sears has a cash register in the shoe department, another in tools, appliances, etc. Same idea with Macy's and JC Penny's. Stores that have an acre of checkouts at the front (Wal-Mart, Target, meijer's) do not usually qualify.

Cornelius said:   titan01 said:   whats a department store? target?

Department stores are usually defined in these promotions as having a cash register in each department. For example, Sears has a cash register in the shoe department, another in tools, appliances, etc. Same idea with Macy's and JC Penny's. Stores that have an acre of checkouts at the front (Wal-Mart, Target, meijer's) do not usually qualify.

Kohl's is the exception to this rule since it only has registers at the front and in jewelry. note Target has that also plus a register in electronics, but is classified as a discount store.

thanks!

When I was on the phone with a Discover rep, I was informed that Target is considered a department store, whereas WalMart and CostCo are discount stores.

Skipping 23 Messages...

Agree. I was warned that online bill pays will not count.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014

It's time for an upgrade!

After a decade on our current platform, we're upgrading our plumbing. The site will be down for a few hours starting at 10PM CST tonight.

At FatWallet we strive to bring you the best coupons, deals and Cash Back. So please come back and check us out.