•Bluetooth 3.0
•RAM: 512MB
•800MHz processor
•Google Maps, Navigation and Places
•3G
•Wi-Fi capable
•Expandable memory up to 32GB
•Android 2.3 OS (Gingerbread)

Info on using this on the old $25 plan here.

Rooting info here

Member Summary

LG Optimus Slider
Thanks VBMcGB
Disclaimer
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Thanks OP. Picked one up today.

Had some typical WalMart store issues. They had it marked for $129 on sale, and sales clerk insisted they wouldn't honor price that was online. Called over the manager, and they both realized that it was ringing up at $99 and they had it priced wrong. Of course this all took 20 minutes when she should have tried ringing it up in the first place.

But very happy you posted this, and I got the advertised price. Thanks!

AZPhil said:   Thanks OP. Picked one up today.

Had some typical WalMart store issues. They had it marked for $129 on sale, and sales clerk insisted they wouldn't honor price that was online. Called over the manager, and they both realized that it was ringing up at $99 and they had it priced wrong. Of course this all took 20 minutes when she should have tried ringing it up in the first place.

But very happy you posted this, and I got the advertised price. Thanks!

YW.

Can you see if GPS works with data off?
Thanks

GudSpellur said:   Can you see if GPS works with data off?
Thanks
Works to do what? I have had this phone for 9 months, and every GPS app I've used with it is dependent on access to data to identify the location.

excoriatorb said:   GudSpellur said:   Can you see if GPS works with data off?
Thanks
Works to do what? I have had this phone for 9 months, and every GPS app I've used with it is dependent on access to data to identify the location.

Works to find your location and guide you to your destination, you know, like a GPS. Not all phones require a data connection to do this...

GudSpellur said:   excoriatorb said:   GudSpellur said:   Can you see if GPS works with data off?
Thanks

Works to find your location and guide you to your destination, you know, like a GPS. Not all phones require a data connection to do this...
The Navigation app that ships with the phone is the only app I've used that can do this and it requires a data connection to pull maps.

An app that would store maps would require a big memory footprint. My Slider has less than 300 MB total of free internal memory for apps and data. As the Google Maps app keeps expanding its footprint with each successive update, I've had to delete other apps that can't reside on the SD card, just to be able to keep the Maps app up to date.

If there are Nav apps that keep the maps resident on the SD card, I've never seen/tried them.

excoriatorb said:   GudSpellur said:   excoriatorb said:   GudSpellur said:   Can you see if GPS works with data off?
Thanks

The Navigation app that ships with the phone is the only app I've used that can do this and it requires a data connection to pull maps.

An app that would store maps would require a big memory footprint. My Slider has less than 300 MB total of free internal memory for apps and data. As the Google Maps app keeps expanding its footprint with each successive update, I've had to delete other apps that can't reside on the SD card, just to be able to keep the Maps app up to date.

Ok, I have a ZTE Score that I use NavFree (app and maps stored on my SD card) as a GPS unit but am thinking of trying a phone with a faster CPU for GrooveIP which I why I asked.

EDIT: How do you like the phone? Any issues?

What is the internal memory on this phone? I've seen 150, 180, and over 500 MB mentioned online. I would like to get this to replace my Optimus V as I'm more of a keyboard guy but if I'm going to run in to the same storage issues that I have now, it's not worth it to me.

GudSpellur said:   excoriatorb said:   GudSpellur said:   excoriatorb said:   GudSpellur said:   Can you see if GPS works with data off?
Thanks

Ok, I have a ZTE Score that I use NavFree (app and maps stored on my SD card) as a GPS unit but am thinking of trying a phone with a faster CPU for GrooveIP which I why I asked.

EDIT: How do you like the phone? Any issues?
It's a bit of a battery hog. I couldn't get the stock battery to last through a workday, even rooted and using a throttling app. I replaced the stock battery with a 3500 MaH battery and it now lasts a full day under normal use, rooted and throttled.

Compared to the Samsung Intercept, which I had before, it works like a champ. I wish it had more memory onboard for apps, but I'm satisfied with the processor speed. On HoFo, the only complaints I've read about the Slider are from people who've switched to it from a better phone. I find it to be adequate for my needs.

brystheguy said:   What is the internal memory on this phone? I've seen 150, 180, and over 500 MB mentioned online. I would like to get this to replace my Optimus V as I'm more of a keyboard guy but if I'm going to run in to the same storage issues that I have now, it's not worth it to me.The 500 MB number probably doesn't include the OS and the VM bloatware. 180 MB is probably about right. It was closer to 300 MB when I got it, but Google's stock apps, especially Maps, keep growing and can't be moved to SD.

Is there an easy way to make this a hot spot without rooting? Going from an original Optimus V this is the main thing I worry about (any other disadvantages?)

arribasn said:   Is there an easy way to make this a hot spot without rooting? Going from an original Optimus V this is the main thing I worry about (any other disadvantages?)I rooted mine and use it for that occasionally. I never explored whether it's possible to tether without rooting.

FWIW, tethering is officially against the VM TOS. A subscriber at HoFo with an iPhone reported that his account was banned from having an iPhone, for tethering, even though his iPhone was only jailbroken and he had never tethered. I've never seen an equivalent story for a VM user with an Android device, but it's something to keep in mind before doing a lot of tethering. Also, there are soft bandwidth caps in place. You use more than 2 GB of data in a service month and your bandwidth will be throttled for the rest of that month.

arribasn said:   Is there an easy way to make this a hot spot without rooting? Going from an original Optimus V this is the main thing I worry about (any other disadvantages?)

Have you tried FoxFi?

arribasn said:   Is there an easy way to make this a hot spot without rooting? Going from an original Optimus V this is the main thing I worry about (any other disadvantages?)

Rooting info here in case anyone needs it.

As far as tethering, I only do it occasionally, probably 50mb at most a month but I do like to have it.

picked up one at Target for $55.xx if you get lucky

WalMart B&M price dropped to $59.xx, too.

Thx, just found the last one at a B&M WalMart for 59.88

Is there a way to check my local stores' inventory online so I don't have to go down to the store for nothing?

akbrush said:   Thx, just found the last one at a B&M WalMart for 59.88

El Bumpo.

Just saw this at my local Target for $54 so check there as well if you want this phone...

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014