• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Link
Tmobile version of Samsung Galaxy SII will be available at WalMart for $299 + atleast $30 no contract plan.

Edit: Back in stock. Updated link

Walmart
See Walmart promo codes that earn 2.0% FatWallet Cash Back.
Member Summary

Samsung Galaxy SII
Thanks BMWLVR82
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
Thanks op just got one today at my local Poulsbo (Seattle area) WalMart. $299 for the phone. They activated it in stor... (more)

tyee (Oct. 01, 2012 @ 11:41p) |

This really seems like a great deal. T-Mobile sells the Galaxy S2 on its own website for $100 more (taking into account ... (more)

Yo Ma-Ma (Oct. 04, 2012 @ 4:47p) |

Great for people spending all this time shopping on CL.com and eBay (trying to unlock and blah, blah)....JUST save the t... (more)

Oaklandish31 (Oct. 24, 2012 @ 1:14p) |

• Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Unlocked Galaxy nexus for $349 direct from Google is a much better phone and virtually the same price (assuming no sales tax with Google).

You can also get the same T-Mobile $30 a month unlimited data plan

Probably a silly question - GSII is HSPA 42, GNEX is 21... How much of a real world difference does this make for data speeds on tmobile?

Galaxy Nexus is plagued with lot of issues..... Not a good phone....

Galaxy Nexus has absolutely terrible battery life. I wouldnt recommend that phone to anyone.

Also, the HSDPA network Tmobile uses is great. In Memphis, I get about 800KB-1.1MB/sec download on the speedtest app. If you have a data plan that gives you "4g" speeds from them, you will want 42+ phone to take full advantage of it.

Anyone know if this is available in store?

Unlocked Galaxy nexus for $349 direct from Google is a much better phone and virtually the same price (assuming no sales tax with Google).

Both have their pros and cons. Galaxy SII has a microsd slot while Galaxy Nexus does not. SII has touchwiz(some might like it) while Nexus has pure google, faster updates (I prefer).
SII has higher megapixel cameras (8 vs 5 & 2 vs 1.5). But Nexus has a better screen resolution & dpi. Also, SII has wifi calling (Tmobile feature) which was very useful for me where there was no signal at home or when visiting overseas. It is the best price for the SII I came across so far. Again, if you like Nexus better, go for it. But that does not make SII a bad phone.

I have a galaxy nexus, and my wife has a s2. Our batteries last about the same. I get 11-12 hours depending on usage of course. My Gnex has jelly bean..... Her s2 has ICS with touchwiz but you can get a launcher and make it like stock plain android. I agree the s2 camera and microSD slot is a plus. I would rather have the faster update for android. And as far as the phone being plagued with issues....my only gripe is the speaker isn't as loud as I'd want it to be. Great phone and I love it. It's all about preference. Both phones are just about the same in performance in my experience.

Xbox360Gamer714 said:   I have a galaxy nexus, and my wife has a s2. Our batteries last about the same. I get 11-12 hours depending on usage of course. My Gnex has jelly bean..... Her s2 has ICS with touchwiz but you can get a launcher and make it like stock plain android. I agree the s2 camera and microSD slot is a plus. I would rather have the faster update for android. And as far as the phone being plagued with issues....my only gripe is the speaker isn't as loud as I'd want it to be. Great phone and I love it. It's all about preference. Both phones are just about the same in performance in my experience.

Any chance you could do a speedtest with both devices? Especially if you have HPSA+ coverage I am curious to know how much faster the s2 is...

Thanks!

buell said:   Unlocked Galaxy nexus for $349 direct from Google is a much better phone and virtually the same price (assuming no sales tax with Google).

Both have their pros and cons. Galaxy SII has a microsd slot while Galaxy Nexus does not. SII has touchwiz(some might like it) while Nexus has pure google, faster updates (I prefer).
SII has higher megapixel cameras (8 vs 5 & 2 vs 1.5). But Nexus has a better screen resolution & dpi. Also, SII has wifi calling (Tmobile feature) which was very useful for me where there was no signal at home or when visiting overseas. It is the best price for the SII I came across so far. Again, if you like Nexus better, go for it. But that does not make SII a bad phone.

Do you know if the wifi calling on the s2 works with any tmobile plan? (curious about the WalMart prepay $30 per month plan in particular)

Thanks!

RuffRyder1672 said:   buell said:   Unlocked Galaxy nexus for $349 direct from Google is a much better phone and virtually the same price (assuming no sales tax with Google).

Do you know if the wifi calling on the s2 works with any tmobile plan? (curious about the WalMart prepay $30 per month plan in particular)

Thanks!

Yes, Wifi calling works on any tmobile plan including prepaid. But, the minutes are counted against your usage and are not unlimited. If you want to save on minutes, I would suggest getting a free voip app like Vonage or Nettalk or better yet use Groove IP in conjunction with Google Voice.

RuffRyder1672 said:   Xbox360Gamer714 said:   I have a galaxy nexus, and my wife has a s2. Our batteries last about the same. I get 11-12 hours depending on usage of course. My Gnex has jelly bean..... Her s2 has ICS with touchwiz but you can get a launcher and make it like stock plain android. I agree the s2 camera and microSD slot is a plus. I would rather have the faster update for android. And as far as the phone being plagued with issues....my only gripe is the speaker isn't as loud as I'd want it to be. Great phone and I love it. It's all about preference. Both phones are just about the same in performance in my experience.

Any chance you could do a speedtest with both devices? Especially if you have HPSA+ coverage I am curious to know how much faster the s2 is...

Thanks!

I would love to see the numbers from both the devices at same location. That being said, I am sure there would be minimal differences in terms of real world usage.

I assume this phone is locked to T-Mobile? So I have to wait a few months before calling T-Mobile to unlock it or they won't?

Thanks

jag009 said:   I assume this phone is locked to T-Mobile? So I have to wait a few months before calling T-Mobile to unlock it or they won't?

Thanks

Same question here. It appears there is no contract. Does it mean this phone is unlocked?

Locked. Subsidized phones are locked (usually) even if there is no contract. The carrier may also be willing to unlock the phone but may not have the codes necessary. That even happened to me with AT&T.

stardent said:   jag009 said:   I assume this phone is locked to T-Mobile? So I have to wait a few months before calling T-Mobile to unlock it or they won't?

Thanks

Same question here. It appears there is no contract. Does it mean this phone is unlocked?

af21187 said:   Galaxy Nexus has absolutely terrible battery life. I wouldnt recommend that phone to anyone.

Also, the HSDPA network Tmobile uses is great. In Memphis, I get about 800KB-1.1MB/sec download on the speedtest app. If you have a data plan that gives you "4g" speeds from them, you will want 42+ phone to take full advantage of it.

I have been using a GN for almost two months. Battery is no worse than my old iPhone 4 ... you have to charge it almost every night but it should make it through the day with normal usage.

The in-store price on this phone is $299 without the $30 card. Definitely a great deal. I had to call my local stores everyday for a week before I finally found one in stock (early this week.)

It is not unlocked.

bitsculptor said:   The in-store price on this phone is $299 without the $30 card. Definitely a great deal. I had to call my local stores everyday for a week before I finally found one in stock (early this week.)

It is not unlocked.

So were you able to get the phone without activation at the store? Can you then get it working with StraightTalk or simplemobile tmobile sims?

They sell two versions in stores. One is the Monthly 4g version and one is the WalMart Family Mobile version. The Monthly 4G version comes with a Sim and activation kit. You can buy it w/o activating it, but they'll help you activate it if you want (of course). If you already have a Monthly 4G sim you can just pop it in and it works. I don't know if a regular monthly plan's sim works on it.

The family mobile version is a different version. It includes no sim and they won't sell it to you unless you activate on the spot. These were more readily available in the stores of course. It was hard to find the Monthly version in stock, and when I did the store only had 2 left.

bitsculptor said:   They sell two versions in stores. One is the Monthly 4g version and one is the WalMart Family Mobile version. The Monthly 4G version comes with a Sim and activation kit. You can buy it w/o activating it, but they'll help you activate it if you want (of course). If you already have a Monthly 4G sim you can just pop it in and it works. I don't know if a regular monthly plan's sim works on it.

The family mobile version is a different version. It includes no sim and they won't sell it to you unless you activate on the spot. These were more readily available in the stores of course. It was hard to find the Monthly version in stock, and when I did the store only had 2 left.

Thanks for that info. So which plan are you using with the phone? What plan did you previously before getting this phone...monthly out of contract with T-Mobile? Right now I'm out of contract with Tmobile and looking to possibly switch to one of the prepaid providers such as StraightTalk or simplemobile and use their T-Mobile service/sim. If it's possible to buy the Monthly 4g instore at $299 without any sort of activation instore and then get one of these sims from either ST or SM then that would be a great deal.

I did read in another forum that another person was able to do this though by buying the phone outright at WM and then just purchasing a SIM from ST and getting service.

Head's up, WalMart.com has this awesome deal back in stock!
I've been trolling my local stores and website daily with hope to get my hands on one.
Today was my day!

http://www.walmart.com/ip/T-Mobile-Pre-Paid-Samsung-Galaxy-S-II-...

I can tell you this is an awesome phone!

I lucked into it for $129 from T-Mo in June because I upped my minutes a pinch.

Thanks op just got one today at my local Poulsbo (Seattle area) WalMart. $299 for the phone. They activated it in store for me on the T-Mobile $30 unlimited web, text and 100 minutes talk no contract prepaid plan.

This really seems like a great deal. T-Mobile sells the Galaxy S2 on its own website for $100 more (taking into account the $50/$30 cards included with the phones).

http://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/prepaid-phone/Samsung-Galaxy-...

Great for people spending all this time shopping on CL.com and eBay (trying to unlock and blah, blah)....JUST save the trouble pay 329.00 and get an awesome phone on the best no contract service..boom your done! Do the math...if you go contract with an S3 or even this which by now is free with contract...you save several hundreds of dollars over a 2 year period...for what!? Its almost the same phone. And this won is sexier than the S3, just saying

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014