• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
http://www.staples.com/office/supplies/StaplesProductDisplay?lan...

$25 off coupon link
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B6tNe7qJdIWVWG5SWGExSlRwNzg/view...

$25 off $75 coupon which is floating around on this site or you can google it. Also $30 off of $150 works too.

newbie2398 op sd

Member Summary

16GB Nexus 7 Tablet
Thanks Farfisa850
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
looks like the google doc was made private..requested access but i doubt it'll happen. anyone have a pastebin handy? :\... (more)

impasse (Sep. 14, 2012 @ 12:18p) |

Does not matter. Staples invalidated all those coupons.

mathfaster (Sep. 14, 2012 @ 12:37p) |

Google charges $13.99 for shipping, $19.99 for the case, and sales tax. So, this deal is pretty cool.

rockymast (Sep. 14, 2012 @ 1:04p) |

Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Meh, boycotting Nexus 7 for the lack of flash memory expansion.

no external sd card slot, stupid design and greedy google
waiting for the next generation with the sd slot

GWBush said:   Meh, boycotting Nexus 7 for the lack of flash memory expansion.
Well go ahead and keep boycotting while many of us with the Nexus 7 use a cheap USB-OTG cable (less than $2) to access USB flash drives, SD and microSD cards, USB keyboards/mouses, and other USB storage devices.

How to configure

tried at least 10 differnt codes for 25 off - all are used

update - just realized - the list says expirs 8/28 - not sure why the link was added here.

Getting out of stock...

Just got it for 239.68 with tax. Hopefully my CashBack comes through on this too. Nice find OP.

gulfwindx said:   How to configure
What are you looking to configure? The Nexus 7? How to access external storage? People will need more information to answer your question.

OOS

bennor said:   GWBush said:   Meh, boycotting Nexus 7 for the lack of flash memory expansion.
Well go ahead and keep boycotting while many of us with the Nexus 7 use a cheap USB-OTG cable (less than $2) to access USB flash drives, SD and microSD cards, USB keyboards/mouses, and other USB storage devices.
I own a Nexus and have an OTG cable to mount SD cards, and it is STILL a stupid design. They're trying to stick with their vision of cloud computing, despite making it less effective for the owners. My 3 years old Sandisk clip+, about the size of a large match box, has a uSD card slot... there's simply no good reason (other then the company trying to justify higher priced models) for any media device dependent on available flash memory to not have at least a uSD slot (yes, Apple too).

Maybe give the nexus 7 a free pass on this one given that its 200-250 vs the ipad at 500+ with no uSD slot. Obviously to most consumers uSD isnt a priority since the most popular tablet without the slot outsells any tablet with a uSD slot.

Danzilla said:   bennor said:   GWBush said:   Meh, boycotting Nexus 7 for the lack of flash memory expansion.
I own a Nexus and have an OTG cable to mount SD cards, and it is STILL a stupid design. They're trying to stick with their vision of cloud computing, despite making it less effective for the owners. My 3 years old Sandisk clip+, about the size of a large match box, has a uSD card slot... there's simply no good reason (other then the company trying to justify higher priced models) for any media device dependent on available flash memory to not have at least a uSD slot (yes, Apple too).

wethead said:   Maybe give the nexus 7 a free pass on this one given that its 200-250 vs the ipad at 500+ with no uSD slot. Obviously to most consumers uSD isnt a priority since the most popular tablet without the slot outsells any tablet with a uSD slot.

Danzilla said:   bennor said:   GWBush said:   Meh, boycotting Nexus 7 for the lack of flash memory expansion.

Exactly. So many people (I was one too) are complaining about the lack of memory expansion, lack of an HDMI slot, lack of a back facing camera. They want it all in a $200 device. Is that an unrealistic expectation? Probably.

Google obviously ran the numbers and found it more attractive to leave out the uSD slot. Google intended this device to be used primarily in locations where one has WiFi access. With WiFi access I have found no need for the expandable memory. I thought I would find the lack of a uSD slot a limitation, but after much use with my Nexus 7 I found the only time I've needed to access more memory was while I was flying on an airplane. And the USB-OTG cable, while not the best workaround, worked just fine for accessing external memory.

Stupid design or not, the person I responded too was incorrect about the lack of expandable flash memory.

Lack of memory? How about the horrible QC? I am now on my 3rd defective tablet. Screen separation issues, dead pixels and now a issue with Wifi causing the screen to flash.

I had been following rumors for 6 months prior to the release of this tablet, I own a Google phone......let me tell you this thing is a royal POS. Never in 15years of owning various tech gadgets have I had 3 units be defective.

Dealing with Google customer service is a joke. It will literally take them a month to give you a refund from your initial request. ASUS? Just search BBB for their horror stories.

Are there defects in some units, yes. There will always be defects in anything manufactured. Asus does have a problem with QC with some N7's they've release. One of the down sides to being the first to own a new product is you may get one that's defective. My Nexus 7 does not have any dead pixels, has a slight (barely noticeable) screen lift, only time I've seen screen flashing was when the brightness set to the lowest level and its not consistent. None of that is meant to diminish your issues, you have them and are bothered by them so your returning your Nexus 7's, while my Nexus 7 looks and works fine. I am satisfied with mine and don't even notice the slight screen lift (which it appears can be fixed). It would be interesting to see the actual replacement rate versus total number of units shipped to see if there really was a wide spread problem or if the defect problem was amplified by a small number of people who were all complaining at the same time on the various Internet message boards/review sites. Even Apple's vaunted iPad and iPhone's are not immune from design or manufacturing problems.

Bottom line, if you don't like the Nexus 7 look elsewhere. The Kindle Fire HD's will be released within a week or two. And a rumored mini iPad in a month or two. Some hate the Nexus 7, some love them. I'm in the latter category.

Back in stock and the above linked $25 off still have some that work.

As for using external storage one option is to buy the "Nexus Media Importer" app in the Google play store and use a USB-OTG adapter.

Actually they just canceled the order, OOS

Got lucky enough to get one in stock earlier this afternoon, with a good code, for 237.44 total. I just kept checking Staples site as often as I could and eventually one was available. Old laptop finally died and was looking for a deal on this. Thanks op

bennor said:   Are there defects in some units, yes. There will always be defects in anything manufactured. Asus does have a problem with QC with some N7's they've release. One of the down sides to being the first to own a new product is you may get one that's defective. My Nexus 7 does not have any dead pixels, has a slight (barely noticeable) screen lift, only time I've seen screen flashing was when the brightness set to the lowest level and its not consistent. None of that is meant to diminish your issues, you have them and are bothered by them so your returning your Nexus 7's, while my Nexus 7 looks and works fine. I am satisfied with mine and don't even notice the slight screen lift (which it appears can be fixed). It would be interesting to see the actual replacement rate versus total number of units shipped to see if there really was a wide spread problem or if the defect problem was amplified by a small number of people who were all complaining at the same time on the various Internet message boards/review sites. Even Apple's vaunted iPad and iPhone's are not immune from design or manufacturing problems.

Bottom line, if you don't like the Nexus 7 look elsewhere. The Kindle Fire HD's will be released within a week or two. And a rumored mini iPad in a month or two. Some hate the Nexus 7, some love them. I'm in the latter category.

You're right, its the people complaining about their broken tablets....and not the manufacturer or the tablets themselves. Glad to hear a few people out there are ok with their brand new tablet being broken right out of the store.

I can't speak for othesr but 3 THREE TRES broken tablets in a row is ridiculous. Tell me there isn't a widespread problem.

I love the Nexus tablet IF they weren't horridly built pieces of shat. Glad to see the new Amazon tablet is out. As soon as my CC refunds me for this abomination, I'll be trading up.

I'd highly encourage anyone to visit XDA forums before purchasing.

opathal said:   I'd highly encourage anyone to visit XDA forums before purchasing.
While visiting XDA is a good idea, its important to keep in mind that those who post to XDA generally tend to be more tech inclined than the average Joe. They tend to talk up the negative issues in hopes of finding a fix than posting a positive experience. In the XDA Nexus 7 section there are several threads (like this one) where people are posting their negative experiences, as well as people posting their positive experiences (like this one). In one of the threads on XDA there is a poll (unscientific) that seems to indicate that the defective units were more prevalent when ordered from the Google Play Store than elsewhere. When looking at sites like Staples, WalMart, MacMall and others, the reviews are pretty much overwhelmingly positive on the Nexus 7.

bennor said:   opathal said:   I'd highly encourage anyone to visit XDA forums before purchasing.
While visiting XDA is a good idea, its important to keep in mind that those who post to XDA generally tend to be more tech inclined than the average Joe. They tend to talk up the negative issues in hopes of finding a fix than posting a positive experience. In the XDA Nexus 7 section there are several threads (like this one) where people are posting their negative experiences, as well as people posting their positive experiences (like this one). In one of the threads on XDA there is a poll (unscientific) that seems to indicate that the defective units were more prevalent when ordered from the Google Play Store than elsewhere. When looking at sites like Staples, WalMart, MacMall and others, the reviews are pretty much overwhelmingly positive on the Nexus 7.

My last one was from OfficeMax

opathal said:   My last one was from OfficeMax
Ordered mine from MacMall. I initially was going to buy one in store at a Staples after spending much time playing with the floor display model one afternoon, but they were sold out at the time. Their floor model at the time looked perfect, no screen lift or flashing screen. I've previously seen a picture that appears to show a nasty screen lift, while mine barely has any. In fact if I didn't know about it I never would have noticed it on mine. XDA has a bunch of threads on fixing the screen lift issue if one is so inclined. Hopefully you and others who return them can get ones that are defect free. They really are a good tablets, beats the Kindle Fire (non HD version) and the Nook Tablet hands down.

How did you get it to work? I thought all 25 off 75 say not for tablets?

I'm debating whether or not to purchase this or wait for the next gen tablets. I wonder how google will respond to the Kindle Fire 2 9 inch.

aznpr1des1 said:   I'm debating whether or not to purchase this or wait for the next gen tablets. I wonder how google will respond to the Kindle Fire 2 9 inch.

There is always another generation around the corner with these. Eventually you just have to buy into it. Google already invested enough in these that they aren't going to be "responding" any time soon.

aznpr1des1 said:   I'm debating whether or not to purchase this or wait for the next gen tablets. I wonder how google will respond to the Kindle Fire 2 9 inch.
There are rumors that Google may release a 10 inch tablet at some point but who knows when and if they will. But as the previous poster indicated there will always be something better "just around the corner". If you wait for the next best thing then all you will do is wait and wait and wait.

looks like the google doc was made private..requested access but i doubt it'll happen. anyone have a pastebin handy? :\

impasse said:   looks like the google doc was made private..requested access but i doubt it'll happen. anyone have a pastebin handy? :

Does not matter. Staples invalidated all those coupons.

Google charges $13.99 for shipping, $19.99 for the case, and sales tax. So, this deal is pretty cool.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014