• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Meritline offers the T6 1,000-Lumen Cree LED Flashlight for $9.99 with free shipping. It's equipped with a Cree XM-L T6 LED bulb, which purports to have a lifespan of 10,000 hours. An 18650 battery is required, but not included.
Expect this item to take two to three weeks to arrive.

Text

Meritline.com
Need a Meritline.com coupon that earns 3.5% FatWallet Cash Back?
Member Summary

flashlight (49.16kB)
Thanks BMWLVR82
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
I don't have any experience with 18650 batteries but am interested in this, saw quite a few deals on the batteries on Am... (more)

FTLOSM (Feb. 05, 2013 @ 11:47p) |

Meritline sells nitecore batteries & chargers. More expensive but better quality. The cheap batteries
and chargers are a ... (more)

fatboy58 (Feb. 06, 2013 @ 11:29a) |

Awww man! I bought those same batteries and charger off Flea Bay for about $6 total. I'm always gettin' screwed!!

jeffc (Feb. 06, 2013 @ 11:39a) |

You will work very hard and long to find this any cheaper. Currently the T6 is the brightest Cree LED available, and is NOT made for use with anything smaller than the 18650 battery. This is a close (second best) most compact body design for the T-6.

tracfancier said:   You will work very hard and long to find this any cheaper. Currently the T6 is the brightest Cree LED available, and is NOT made for use with anything smaller than the 18650 battery. This is a close (second best) most compact body design for the T-6.

Any links for a good 18650 battery/charger? Thanks!

is it really 1000 lumens?!

No way 1000, maybe around 300~500, which should worth each penny already. Battery 18650 is the only challenge.

webdoctors said:   is it really 1000 lumens?!

It's 1000 lumens and 12" long. Really.

ashok37 said:   tracfancier said:   You will work very hard and long to find this any cheaper. Currently the T6 is the brightest Cree LED available, and is NOT made for use with anything smaller than the 18650 battery. This is a close (second best) most compact body design for the T-6.

For cheaper ones - try dx.com (DealExtreme) and if you need the 18650's get the protected ones like
http://dx.com/p/trustfire-protected-18650-lithium-battery-2500ma...

I have an Utrafire charger but you can get the ones

http://dx.com/p/ultrafire-3-6-3-7v-battery-charger-1251?rt=1&p=6...

ashok37 said:   tracfancier said:   You will work very hard and long to find this any cheaper. Currently the T6 is the brightest Cree LED available, and is NOT made for use with anything smaller than the 18650 battery. This is a close (second best) most compact body design for the T-6.

For cheaper ones - try dx.com (DealExtreme) and if you need the 18650's get the protected ones like

I have an Utrafire charger but you can get cheaper chargers

Overzeetop said:   webdoctors said:   is it really 1000 lumens?!

It's 1000 lumens and 12" long. Really.

That tramples my 6".

where did you find the dimensions??
why should it be 12" and only need one battery?
plus it shows a pocket clip which it wouldnt have if it is 12"

amkaos said:   where did you find the dimensions??
why should it be 12" and only need one battery?
plus it shows a pocket clip which it wouldnt have if it is 12"

you sound like my wife

Site has a pic of someone holding flashlight. No way is that 12''

tracfancier said:   You will work very hard and long to find this any cheaper. Currently the T6 is the brightest Cree LED available, and is NOT made for use with anything smaller than the 18650 battery. This is a close (second best) most compact body design for the T-6.

Any idea what the outside diameter is on this light? Do you think it's a 1 inch OD or probably not?

tracfancier said:   You will work very hard and long to find this any cheaper. Currently the T6 is the brightest Cree LED available, and is NOT made for use with anything smaller than the 18650 battery. This is a close (second best) most compact body design for the T-6.That's not true, jetbeam and sunwayman have XM-L T6 flashlights that take CR123/16340 or AA/14500 batteries. They're not driven beyond 500 lumens to make the battery last longer, but I guarantee you those are real 500 lumens, which is brighter than this fake "1000 lumens" piece of junk. They're much more expensive though.

tvman1961 said:   ashok37 said:   tracfancier said:   You will work very hard and long to find this any cheaper. Currently the T6 is the brightest Cree LED available, and is NOT made for use with anything smaller than the 18650 battery. This is a close (second best) most compact body design for the T-6.

These are much better.

webley said:   tracfancier said:   You will work very hard and long to find this any cheaper. Currently the T6 is the brightest Cree LED available, and is NOT made for use with anything smaller than the 18650 battery. This is a close (second best) most compact body design for the T-6.Any idea what the outside diameter is on this light? Do you think it's a 1 inch OD or probably not?Assuming they reused the old body for the new engine, it is 1".

bogus numbers or not.. CandlePowerForums really like em

edit: if this thread is moderated, why mod let post lameness like That's what she said : etc.. just clutters up

MrFrugal said:   Site has a pic of someone holding flashlight. No way is that 12''

That's what she said :

why does it have memory mode when it have only 1 mode?

funny how Meritline have the same thing for $17.

I am new to these flashlights. I have one that i bought a while ago. I think this is a great deal on the flashlight but when you pile on the cost of the batteries and the charger. Your final investment will be about 25-30 dollars, for the flashlight and 2 batteries and charger. If you already have this battery then i think it is a swell deal but how many people own these 18650 batteries. I have many AA and AAA ni-mh batteries, and i think i will hold off for a flashlight that can use those.

dev77 said:   I am new to these flashlights. I have one that i bought a while ago. I think this is a great deal on the flashlight but when you pile on the cost of the batteries and the charger. Your final investment will be about 25-30 dollars, for the flashlight and 2 batteries and charger. If you already have this battery then i think it is a swell deal but how many people own these 18650 batteries. I have many AA and AAA ni-mh batteries, and i think i will hold off for a flashlight that can use those.

If they are rechargable, who cares? I doubt your cell phone uses AA or AAA's. You got to pay to play

dev77 said:   I am new to these flashlights. I have one that i bought a while ago. I think this is a great deal on the flashlight but when you pile on the cost of the batteries and the charger. Your final investment will be about 25-30 dollars, for the flashlight and 2 batteries and charger. If you already have this battery then i think it is a swell deal but how many people own these 18650 batteries. I have many AA and AAA ni-mh batteries, and i think i will hold off for a flashlight that can use those.Yes, that's the cost of higher output and longer run-time. Your AA or AAA flashlights are kids' toys compared with this one. (and this one is a toy compared to other serious lights that are a few times more expensive).

this 18650 have the highest capacity right now. my last laptop batt, the cells are these guys.

scripta said:   tvman1961 said:   ashok37 said:   tracfancier said:   You will work very hard and long to find this any cheaper. Currently the T6 is the brightest Cree LED available, and is NOT made for use with anything smaller than the 18650 battery. This is a close (second best) most compact body design for the T-6.

These are much better.

They are all capacity overrated anyway, both are actually 500mah less than the claimed from the comment.

scripta said:   dev77 said:   I am new to these flashlights. I have one that i bought a while ago. I think this is a great deal on the flashlight but when you pile on the cost of the batteries and the charger. Your final investment will be about 25-30 dollars, for the flashlight and 2 batteries and charger. If you already have this battery then i think it is a swell deal but how many people own these 18650 batteries. I have many AA and AAA ni-mh batteries, and i think i will hold off for a flashlight that can use those.Yes, that's the cost of higher output and longer run-time. Your AA or AAA flashlights are kids' toys compared with this one. (and this one is a toy compared to other serious lights that are a few times more expensive).

There are some flashlights that take 3 AAA or 18650 and I have one, which gives you the flexiblity when only AAA is available or you can't charge the 18650. Technically they give the same brightness for 3x1.2V NiMH vs 3.6V Li-ion, though 18650 will have longer running time.

I'm not sure why you said those cheaper ones are toys and those overpriced are better? Many of them are expensive because they slapped a brand name on it and spent most money in marketing fees than paying the manufacturers.

WorkerAnt said:   this 18650 have the highest capacity right now. my last laptop batt, the cells are these guys.

These are the most common, used in laptop and electric cars, but there are less common and expensive 26650 flashlights (where 26 represnets its diameter)

I just got my 1000 lum .. it's nice.. and bright..

whudgens1 said:   I just got my 1000 lum .. it's nice.. and bright..
and can boil a cup of water if you put it in for 5 min =)

Using XM-L T6 LED, this light should not be 1000 Lumens. If driven at 3A, the LED is capable of 910 Lumens, 3.25 * 280 Lumens, according to the cut sheet: http://www.cree.com/~/media/Files/Cree/LED%20Components%20and%20... . Driven at 3A, an 18650 will not run for 100 minutes as claimed because 18650 battery is typically around 2.2 to 3 Ah; if you're lucky, you might get an hour.

My guess is that the light isn't regulated, which is why you can get 100 minutes though. As the voltage drops, so does the current. So off a freshly charged 18650, you might get 900 lumens, but that will drop very quickly.

I'd say both the run time and Lumen ratings as very optimistic.

You can run it with anything that can provide 3V or more. Lights using 3 AAA and XM-L are out there. They use 3 batteries in the design because some people will use rechargeable batteries and two cannot provide 3V.

WorkerAnt said:   this 18650 have the highest capacity right now. my last laptop batt, the cells are these guys.

Nope, 18650 is just the most common. There are larger sizes such as 32600 which are the same size as D battery with about double the power of 18650. The 18650 battery is the same size as two CR123 batteries in series.

mcdull said:   scripta said:   dev77 said:   I am new to these flashlights. I have one that i bought a while ago. I think this is a great deal on the flashlight but when you pile on the cost of the batteries and the charger. Your final investment will be about 25-30 dollars, for the flashlight and 2 batteries and charger. If you already have this battery then i think it is a swell deal but how many people own these 18650 batteries. I have many AA and AAA ni-mh batteries, and i think i will hold off for a flashlight that can use those.Yes, that's the cost of higher output and longer run-time. Your AA or AAA flashlights are kids' toys compared with this one. (and this one is a toy compared to other serious lights that are a few times more expensive).

There are some flashlights that take 3 AAA or 18650 and I have one, which gives you the flexiblity when only AAA is available or you can't charge the 18650. Technically they give the same brightness for 3x1.2V NiMH vs 3.6V Li-ion, though 18650 will have longer running time.

I'm not sure why you said those cheaper ones are toys and those overpriced are better? Many of them are expensive because they slapped a brand name on it and spent most money in marketing fees than paying the manufacturers.
True, multi-AA/AAA battery lights could compete in the same power range.

I've gone through the cheapo DX phase, upgraded to some a little pricier still-Chinese-branded lights, and tossed the DX in the never-use-again box. I'm not talking about surefire, that crap is definitely overpriced.

mcdull said:   scripta said:   tvman1961 said:   ashok37 said:   tracfancier said:   You will work very hard and long to find this any cheaper. Currently the T6 is the brightest Cree LED available, and is NOT made for use with anything smaller than the 18650 battery. This is a close (second best) most compact body design for the T-6.

These are much better.

They are all capacity overrated anyway, both are actually 500mah less than the claimed from the comment.
You are right, but for the price they can't be beat -- all others are more expensive. AW is considered the best by many, it's 3.5 times more expensive ($18 for one AW, vs $10 for two TFs).

I got one of this over about a year already, they work fine for what they are, but 1000-Lumen ? I don't know about that, but I got anther set of LED flash light came in 3 pack from Costco, it was rate at 200 lumen, it was much brighter and better deal then this one, the pack of Costco 3 light I got for $15.99, it a little bigger then this one and take 3 AAA, I end up used it a lot more then this one

T6 is not the brightest Cree XM-L LED: XM-L U2 is. And there is no reason why either of those can't be used in a smaller design. In fact, they are now commonly used all the way down to 1xAA based flashlights because of their higher efficiency - you can get greater brightness for the same run time or longer run time for the same brightness compared to an XP-G LED for instance.

Also, note that 1000 lumens is about the maximum output of an XM-L T6. For typical designs, the efficiency of the optical system (reflector plus glass) is about 70% - 80%. So under the best conditions, you can expect about 800 lumens of light out the front. That is the output level that you will find in most premium flashlights. However, note that to achieve this output the T6 has to be driven with a current of about 3 amperes (yes, amperes, not milli amperes) at a voltage of about 3.3 volts. When you consider losses in the electrical system, the required current is even higher. Only the best 18650s can provide that level of current and power output. And then a significant amount of heat would be generated, both by the LED and the battery. That is bad because it reduces the life of the LED and introduces the risk of serious problems with the battery (Google for "thermal runaway lithium ion battery"). You can verify all this by looking at the data sheet for the Cree XLamp XM-L series.

For reasons such as these, high output flashlights from reputed manufacturers use large bodies designed to dissipate the heat and multiple batteries to over over-stressing individual batteries. They also intentionally limit the output of smaller designs or, as seen in some recent models, use a design that provides peak output for only a few minutes and then automatically drops down to a lower output to avoid overheating.

It is obvious that the 1000 lumen claim for this flashlight is simply quoted maximum output of the LED and has nothing to do with this particular flashlight. It is not inconceivable, but very unlikely, that this flashlight produces as much as about 800 lumens out the front. In any case, if you use this flashlight and notice that it is getting very warm or hot, I suggest you turn it off and let it cool down before continuing to use it.

LED Flashlight for $9.99 with free shipping, it is really cheaper

No way this thing gives off 1000 lumens.

Ships from China warehouse. Most customers receive in 2-3 weeks.

For an all around light I'd recommend this:
http://www.shiningbeam.com/servlet/the-69/***NEW***-Romisen-RC-dsh-T602-II/Detail

I have one (recommended from budgetlightforums) and it's a great performer and is built well.

Also, I'd recommend reading up on lithium ion batteries before hand for safety reasons. Also a basic multimeter has proven priceless for peace of mind before charging and using my 18650s.

If you have access to an unused laptop battery pack, you can rip it open and take the 18650 cells out to use individually. There are plenty in there to last you a long time. Just make sure to.make good use of a multimeter!

^ simply put, you will be surprise. cause it will arrive when you forgotten it.

Skipping 15 Messages...
FTLOSM said:   I don't have any experience with 18650 batteries but am interested in this, saw quite a few deals on the batteries on Amazon, but I would also need a charger for it as well, this seemed like a decent deal is it the right match for this light?

3.7V 18650 3000mah Rechargeable Battery 2 pack with Battery Charger

Awww man! I bought those same batteries and charger off Flea Bay for about $6 total. I'm always gettin' screwed!!

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014