• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
Thanks OP. Almost bit at the great price but not having a low power mode killed it for me. Don't always want to be blinded using the flashlight. Picked up this one instead @ $15. 2x18650 to double the voltage should make it noticeably brighter.

jtroye32 said:   If you have access to an unused laptop battery pack, you can rip it open and take the 18650 cells out to use individually. There are plenty in there to last you a long time. Just make sure to.make good use of a multimeter!The Trustfire charger depends on a bump-out on the positive end (like a regular AA battery). How do you get the positive end to connect since the 18650 cells used in laptop batteries are flat on both ends?

You could use magnets.

xccess said:   I got one of this over about a year already, they work fine for what they are, but 1000-Lumen ? I don't know about that, but I got anther set of LED flash light came in 3 pack from Costco, it was rate at 200 lumen, it was much brighter and better deal then this one, the pack of Costco 3 light I got for $15.99, it a little bigger then this one and take 3 AAA, I end up used it a lot more then this one

Can you post pix of the costco lights? Thanks!

FutureDilemma said:   

For reasons such as these, high output flashlights from reputed manufacturers use large bodies designed to dissipate the heat and multiple batteries to over over-stressing individual batteries. They also intentionally limit the output of smaller designs or, as seen in some recent models, use a design that provides peak output for only a few minutes and then automatically drops down to a lower output to avoid overheating.

It is obvious that the 1000 lumen claim for this flashlight is simply quoted maximum output of the LED and has nothing to do with this particular flashlight. It is not inconceivable, but very unlikely, that this flashlight produces as much as about 800 lumens out the front. In any case, if you use this flashlight and notice that it is getting very warm or hot, I suggest you turn it off and let it cool down before continuing to use it.

Don't leave these lights stationary for long when turned on either. I've had one reach 110F/43C at the head, according to infrared thermometer, when I accidentally turned on a 1.4A 500 Lumen XM-L T6 light in my backpack.

How does this Ultrafire 501b stack up against the one in the OP?

peas said:   Thanks OP. Almost bit at the great price but not having a low power mode killed it for me. Don't always want to be blinded using the flashlight. Picked up this one instead @ $15. 2x18650 to double the voltage should make it noticeably brighter.
Did you read some of the reviews for that one? One of them:
Did not work on arrival. Soldering around switch was so poor that no contact was made. Do not buy if you don't already own soldering equipment, from the reviews thus far it sounds like there is no chance you will get a working flashlight out of the box. By shorting the batteries to the casing I can see that this flashlight is no brighter than my 200 lumen-rated (actually procudes 150,) 1 NiMH AA flashlight. Construction is terrible, flashlight performance is poor. Do not waste your money.

Edit: Actually the reviews for the one in the OP say the same thing about brightness.

Slickone said:   peas said:   Thanks OP. Almost bit at the great price but not having a low power mode killed it for me. Don't always want to be blinded using the flashlight. Picked up this one instead @ $15. 2x18650 to double the voltage should make it noticeably brighter.
Did you read some of the reviews for that one? One of them:
Did not work on arrival. Soldering around switch was so poor that no contact was made. Do not buy if you don't already own soldering equipment, from the reviews thus far it sounds like there is no chance you will get a working flashlight out of the box. By shorting the batteries to the casing I can see that this flashlight is no brighter than my 200 lumen-rated (actually procudes 150,) 1 NiMH AA flashlight. Construction is terrible, flashlight performance is poor. Do not waste your money.

Edit: Actually the reviews for the one in the OP say the same thing about brightness.
I figured I'd take the risk since I could touch up the solder job if necessary. Fortunately mine doesn't have any issues with the switch. It's about the same brightness as a single-18650 torch w/ Cree emitter. Probably both are voltage regulated. The 2x cell torch must last longer.

Sorry, wrong thread.

Just got my light and batteries. Wow, what a great light. Small but brighter than most of those big hand held spotlights. One thing I noticed about it was when turning it on sometimes, the light will flash very fast like a strobe. Anyone else have this problem?

jeffc said:   Just got my light and batteries. Wow, what a great light. Small but brighter than most of those big hand held spotlights. One thing I noticed about it was when turning it on sometimes, the light will flash very fast like a strobe. Anyone else have this problem?

That is an actual setting; the light has 3 (product page says 5, but the one I received has 3): steady on, blinking -- SOS, fast strobe. The one annoying thing about this flashlight is, it has no setting memory, so each time you turn it off, you are also progressing to the next setting. Off/Steady on/Off/Blinking -- SOS/Off/Fast Strobe/... repeat cycle.

DahDee said:   jeffc said:   Just got my light and batteries. Wow, what a great light. Small but brighter than most of those big hand held spotlights. One thing I noticed about it was when turning it on sometimes, the light will flash very fast like a strobe. Anyone else have this problem?

That is an actual setting; the light has 3 (product page says 5, but the one I received has 3): steady on, blinking -- SOS, fast strobe. The one annoying thing about this flashlight is, it has no setting memory, so each time you turn it off, you are also progressing to the next setting. Off/Steady on/Off/Blinking -- SOS/Off/Fast Strobe/... repeat cycle.

You are ahead of me. I have not even seen the product page. I can see the three settings now but I'm not sure when I would use the fast strobe for day to day use----maybe NEVER! My kids would like it for a party. The LSD generation would have really gotten off on this setting. I would use it-----on a dark and stormy night when my vehicle exits the roadway and lands in secluded area away from humans and my legs are broken. Uhh, someone has to see it but first they have to know I'm there.

We need a strobe flashlight and an ELT together. Opportunity!!

pedror said:   Using XM-L T6 LED, this light should not be 1000 Lumens. If driven at 3A, the LED is capable of 910 Lumens, 3.25 * 280 Lumens, according to the cut sheet: http://www.cree.com/~/media/Files/Cree/LED%20Components%20and%20... . Driven at 3A, an 18650 will not run for 100 minutes as claimed because 18650 battery is typically around 2.2 to 3 Ah; if you're lucky, you might get an hour.

My guess is that the light isn't regulated, which is why you can get 100 minutes though. As the voltage drops, so does the current. So off a freshly charged 18650, you might get 900 lumens, but that will drop very quickly.

I'd say both the run time and Lumen ratings as very optimistic.

Chinese advertised lumens is based on a formula whereby one Chinese lumen = 0.42 American lumen

I don't have any experience with 18650 batteries but am interested in this, saw quite a few deals on the batteries on Amazon, but I would also need a charger for it as well, this seemed like a decent deal is it the right match for this light?

3.7V 18650 3000mah Rechargeable Battery 2 pack with Battery Charger

Meritline sells nitecore batteries & chargers. More expensive but better quality. The cheap batteries
and chargers are a gamble. Probably won't get the rated ma & number of charges may be low.

FTLOSM said:   I don't have any experience with 18650 batteries but am interested in this, saw quite a few deals on the batteries on Amazon, but I would also need a charger for it as well, this seemed like a decent deal is it the right match for this light?

3.7V 18650 3000mah Rechargeable Battery 2 pack with Battery Charger

Awww man! I bought those same batteries and charger off Flea Bay for about $6 total. I'm always gettin' screwed!!

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014

It's time for an upgrade!

After a decade on our current platform, we're upgrading our plumbing. The site will be down for a few hours starting at 10PM CST tonight.

At FatWallet we strive to bring you the best coupons, deals and Cash Back. So please come back and check us out.