• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:

Rakuten.com Shopping
Need a Rakuten.com Shopping coupon that earns Up to 10.5% FatWallet Cash Back?
Member Summary

Zyxel pla407kit (25.19kB)
Thanks BMWLVR82
Disclaimer
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:

Was just looking for something like this. This is new to me and not sure I understand. Thought I didn't need a PC? So I could plug one of these into the outlet, run a cable from the Ethernet of my router to it. Then plug the other one where I want it in the house with another router? Can I get away with something cheaper or this is a good starting point?

blueis300 said:   Was just looking for something like this. This is new to me and not sure I understand. Thought I didn't need a PC? So I could plug one of these into the outlet, run a cable from the Ethernet of my router to it. Then plug the other one where I want it in the house with another router? Can I get away with something cheaper or this is a good starting point?

You're correct. However, you don't always need a second router at the remote end. You can simply connect the remote device to the remote power line device using Cat5. You'd only need a router if you had multple devices such as a laptop, Roku etc.

blueis300 said:   Was just looking for something like this. This is new to me and not sure I understand. Thought I didn't need a PC? So I could plug one of these into the outlet, run a cable from the Ethernet of my router to it. Then plug the other one where I want it in the house with another router? Can I get away with something cheaper or this is a good starting point?
DonC is correct.

In essence: You put the Ethernet in to one of these devices, and you pull it out
at the other end. Once the devices sync up, you can do anything you could do with
any other Ethernet cable -- plug it in to a router, plug it in to a switch, plug
it in to a computer or other device (PlayStation, Blu-Ray player, etc.).

I believe you can also have one of these connected to your current router, and
have two or more of these in different outlets, so you can spread your Ethernet
bits out throughout your house -- albeit with shared bandwidth, so the more of
these you have connected, the less bandwidth you'll seem to have when multiple
devices are active on your network at once. Also, some brands have a built-in
switch (often four ports) so if you need a switch at the "far" end, you might
consider getting one of those, instead of this.

Also be aware that some people have problems (my impression: particularly in
older homes) when one of the devices is on one leg of your service, and the
other on the second leg (you get 220 Volts coming in to your house, 110 Volts
on each of two wires -- which is added together for things like electric dryers,
air conditioners, water heaters, or a single one of the 110s feeds half your
house circuits while the other one feeds the other half). No way to know if
it will be a problem for you until you try it. Also be aware that some
appliances/devices send 'noise' back on the lines; this noise may severely
compromise the number of data bits you get through the system.

All that said -- I've had the last generation of Powerline technology hooked
up for years and have been quite happy with the performance. I never have to
worry about somebody else's use of the wireless bandwidth affecting my download
or gaming speed. I can imagine that 200Mbit kit would be even nicer.

these get about 90% packet loss (udp) @ 200mbps which you can then add some tcp/ip overhead and that comes out to like 13-15mbps on the same circuit with no noise. Dyson will bring it down to 0mbps. Cheap power bricks can cripple them too.

Also many devices like satellite receivers and X10 use incompatible technology rendering these even slower.

Ask the company how much they protect your equipment from surge, since you can't put these on a surge strip. If $0, pass. Some don't even have decent basic surge suppression.

rigor said:   these get about 90% packet loss (udp) @ 200mbps which you can then add some tcp/ip overhead and that comes out to like 13-15mbps on the same circuit with no noise. Dyson will bring it down to 0mbps. Cheap power bricks can cripple them too.

Also many devices like satellite receivers and X10 use incompatible technology rendering these even slower.

Ask the company how much they protect your equipment from surge, since you can't put these on a surge strip. If $0, pass. Some don't even have decent basic surge suppression.

Can't put on a surge surpressor but what about a battery back up? I was gonna use an Asus rt-n53 or 56 upstairs then run on of these downstairs with my Asus rt-n16 for better coverage. The house is 5 years old and will see how many things are run off of each circuit. Also with the USB ports I was going to hook up a couple of hard drives for an FTP, and wireless printer. I can also user different SSID for different people and devices. Then I was going to throttle certain things such as my father in laws IP. Was going to load dd-wrt or tomato to try and tweak settings. I tried on the rt-n16 but my lack of knowledge made it seem like it wasn't worth it. I tweaked the voltage, overclocked , adjusted beacon stats. Each at different times then together. My the numbers were

-48 to -52 , usually -84 and the SNR was always like 35. I have a lot to learn. One problem was coax was to long and had a splitter. Gonna correct that to start and go from there. Such as check wireless phone and printer. I have read about the advanced features but could anyone give there opinion on what they would choose for a 2700 square foot home? The router was on the second floor next to a wall but on a tall computer desk. I'm using a laptop cooler to help. Sure this doesn't belong in this thread so maybe someone could send me a PM and we talk more or exchange email. Also have Comcast cable with 20 down 8 up.

rigor said:   these get about 90% packet loss (udp) @ 200mbps which you can then add some tcp/ip overhead and that comes out to like 13-15mbps on the same circuit with no noise. Dyson will bring it down to 0mbps. Cheap power bricks can cripple them too.

Can't put on a surge surpressor but what about a battery back up? I was gonna use an Asus rt-n53 or 56 upstairs then run on of these downstairs with my Asus rt-n16 for better coverage. The house is 5 years old and will see how many things are run off of each circuit. Also with the USB ports I was going to hook up a couple of hard drives for an FTP, and wireless printer. I can also user different SSID for different people and devices. Then I was going to throttle certain things such as my father in laws IP. Was going to load dd-wrt or tomato to try and tweak settings. I tried on the rt-n16 but my lack of knowledge made it seem like it wasn't worth it. I tweaked the voltage, overclocked , adjusted beacon stats. Each at different times then together. My the numbers were

-48 to -52 , usually -84 and the SNR was always like 35. I have a lot to learn. One problem was coax was to long and had a splitter. Gonna correct that to start and go from there. Such as check wireless phone and printer. I have read about the advanced features but could anyone give there opinion on what they would choose for a 2700 square foot home? The router was on the second floor next to a wall but on a tall computer desk. I'm using a laptop cooler to help. Sure this doesn't belong in this thread so maybe someone could send me a PM and we talk more or exchange email. Also have Comcast cable with 20 down 8 up.

Couldn't edit so one other question is what makes these Ethernet Power Converters quality or one better over another? Based on my reply would you suggest something like this or a better one? Also gonna try and setup Ooma soon so does that play a part in this?

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014