• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Toshiba Portege Z835-370 Ultrabook $699 at OfficeMax B&M
http://www.officemax.com/technology/computers/laptop-computers/p...

Features:
- Intel Core i5-2467M Processor,
- 128GB SSD hard drive,
- 6GB system memory,
- LED-Backlit Keyboard,
- 13.3" HD TruBrite LCD display.

Features
Lightweight 2.5lbs
Slim 0.62-in profile
Reinforced Magnesium Alloy Casing
Spill-Resistant,
Extended Battery Life Rating4 (up to 8 hours)
Solid State Drive
USB 3.0 Port
Intel Wireless Display-ready WiDi
Dual-band WiFi 2.4GHz, 5GHz, abgn
BlueTooth BT
USB Sleep & Charge
Intel(R) HD Graphics 3000
Full-size HDMI Port
VGA port, Ethernet port
Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

tags: laptop, notebook, ultraportable, ultrabook

Member Summary

Toshiba Protege
Thanks Virgil27
Disclaimer

Correct Image!
Thanks scoobydooby
Disclaimer
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Thanks OP! In for 1!

"Temporarily out of stock" at any store within 100 miles of where I live.

Toshiba R835 alternative

Okay, it's 1/2 lbs heavier at around 3.2lbs, but keep in mind the Toshiba Z series do not have a DVD drive! You will not be able to install software from discs, play DVDs, or burn backups without buying an external DVD burner (and the added hassle of carrying both cable and external DVD drive around with your Z-series laptop).

If you need an all-in-one lightweight laptop, the Toshiba Portege R-series is the way to go at about the same price point - plus, often bigger HDs, too.

adorable said:   Toshiba R835 alternative

Okay, it's 1/2 lbs heavier at around 3.2lbs, but keep in mind the Toshiba Z series do not have a DVD drive! You will not be able to install software from discs, play DVDs, or burn backups without buying an external DVD burner (and the added hassle of carrying both cable and external DVD drive around with your Z-series laptop).

Really not that big a deal any more. I haven't had the need for a DVD drive in a long time. I carry a recovery USB drive with Windows 7 on it, I play everything locally or from the cloud. DVD drives are a Relic. Also - if you do need to carry an external drive, they are hardly bulky any more, and for a couple of bucks more, you can get a BD drive instead of DVD.

scoobydooby said:   adorable said:   Toshiba R835 alternative

Really not that big a deal any more. I haven't had the need for a DVD drive in a long time. I carry a recovery USB drive with Windows 7 on it, I play everything locally or from the cloud. DVD drives are a Relic. Also - if you do need to carry an external drive, they are hardly bulky any more, and for a couple of bucks more, you can get a BD drive instead of DVD.

True, but a compelling reason for having an optical drive bay available is to have both an SSD, for speed, as well as a traditional hard drive with its much larger storage space. YET, with prices for larger SSDs coming down, this reason will soon completely evaporate.

You ARE very much right about an actual DVD or BD drive itself becoming superfluous.

An Asus ZenBook, with its IPS screen, and 8GB of RAM, instead of the soldered-in 4GB, would be ideal for me.

(I'm surprised that Asus doesn't offer this as a built-to-order option. Apple does this for 8GB MacBook Airs.)

If you need an all-in-one lightweight laptop, the Toshiba Portege R-series is the way to go at about the same price point - plus, often bigger HDs, too.

I'm with you, adorable -- call me old-fashioned, but I still want an optical drive on my laptop. I'm typing this on a Toshiba U205 that I bought 6 years ago -- it has been my favorite (most reliable, trouble-free) laptop I've ever had. At the time, it packed an amazing amount of performance into a 4 lb package, but now it's on aftermarket (and markedly inferior) battery and cord and is really starting to show its age.

Thank you for pointing me to the R835...which looks like the spiritual successor to the U205, and is almost a pound lighter! You linked to a $690 Amazon product. Research tells me that you can potentially do even better. Here's the R935 at Newegg:

R935

It seems to be a newer version of the 835, with newer-generation family of processors (though the Newegg is a Gen3 i3 vs Amazon's Gen2 i5...guessing that performance differences will be minimal). I am in a state where Amazon charges tax, but Newegg does not, so the 935 is effectively cheaper than the 835. Other than using the "Ivy Bridge" chipset, it seems to be more or less the same machine.

If you're in a state where Amazon charges tax, another option is at OfficeMax, whose website is down at the moment for maintenance, so I can't provide a link, but they have the R935-P92 for $619 in-store and online...as far as I can tell, the difference is bluetooth (Amazon's R835-P94 has it, OfficeMax's R835-P92 does not), though the comparison sites list several other differences that I think are probably the result of bad data and not actual differences.

The deal you want is the R835-P92 at OfficeMax. Go to the last page of this week's OfficeMax ad online and it has it on clearance for $550. I don't know why the website still has the old higher price.
Also, I was old-fashioned too and thought I needed the optical drive. If you think you really need one, get an external for $25. It will calm your nerves, but you can leave itat home. On the road, you can use thumb drives to watch movies, etc. I got the OfficeMax clearance of the Z835-P370. That drop in weight to 2.5 pounds is really something.

R850 alternativeR850 alternative

b100 said:   adorable said:   Toshiba R835 alternative

I'm with you, adorable -- call me old-fashioned, but I still want an optical drive on my laptop. I'm typing this on a Toshiba U205 that I bought 6 years ago -- it has been my favorite (most reliable, trouble-free) laptop I've ever had. At the time, it packed an amazing amount of performance into a 4 lb package, but now it's on aftermarket (and markedly inferior) battery and cord and is really starting to show its age.

Thank you for pointing me to the R835...which looks like the spiritual successor to the U205, and is almost a pound lighter! You linked to a $690 Amazon product. Research tells me that you can potentially do even better. Here's the R935 at Newegg:

R935

It seems to be a newer version of the 835, with newer-generation family of processors (though the Newegg is a Gen3 i3 vs Amazon's Gen2 i5...guessing that performance differences will be minimal). I am in a state where Amazon charges tax, but Newegg does not, so the 935 is effectively cheaper than the 835. Other than using the "Ivy Bridge" chipset, it seems to be more or less the same machine.

If you're in a state where Amazon charges tax, another option is at OfficeMax, whose website is down at the moment for maintenance, so I can't provide a link, but they have the R935-P92 for $619 in-store and online...as far as I can tell, the difference is bluetooth (Amazon's R835-P94 has it, OfficeMax's R835-P92 does not), though the comparison sites list several other differences that I think are probably the result of bad data and not actual differences.

Long live the U-205! Nothing seems to be comparable to the keyboard and trackpad in todays laptops.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014