• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
I just purchased the LG 60" plasma television model 60PA6550 for a net cost of $822.99. Price of the LG Plasma television is $849.99. minus 2% for my Costco executive membership and another 1% Cash Back from my American Express gives me a net of $822.99. No tax in Oregon. I have never been of fan of service plans but I purchased a Costco Square Trade 3 year extended plan for $59.99 before my additional 3% off. When you add the Square Trade 3 year service plan to the two year warranty Costco gives you, it gives me a 5 year in home service plan for $58.19. To me that's a no brainer.

I set the television up last night and I love it. Football has been great this morning. Colors are deep and rich. Yes this is a plasma and it is reflective so remember your light situation. We have this in our bedroom and its perfect. We have a couple of windows in the bedroom but the light situation is pretty controlled.

I chose this Costco Plasma LG after looking at the $899 60" Sharp LED at Frys for these reasons:

1) Motion Blur is something I didn't want to deal with. I love watching sports. The LG has none.
2) Colors, in the right light controlled environment the deep rich colors are hard to beat.
3) Costco's easy return policy, I know if I find something much better on black Friday I can return with no problems.
4) The Price, my net savings for the LG was about $68.00 over the Sharp.
5) Costco's two year warranty combined with Costco's 3 year Square trade warranty giving me a five year in home warranty for under $60.

Cons... Plasma, this TV would be too reflective for me in one of the rooms in our house because of all the windows. Frys Sharp TV would be much better and brighter for that.
The LG Plasma is heavy, the Sharp is much lighter.
The LG Plasma uses more energy than the Sharp. I think the difference was in the neighborhood of $15.00 a year.

Overall I'm very happy with the purchase of the LG plasma at Costco. I hope I can say the same thing 3 years from now.

Member Summary

LG 60PA6550
Thanks Logician1313
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
No , this is not a "SmartTV" (no apps/online/wifi), just a basic tv/plasma

stereo55 (Sep. 19, 2012 @ 3:37p) |

No it doesn't. But with the money you save you can pick up Roku or WD media player if you already don't own PS3, Xbox, ... (more)

Strogonowski (Sep. 22, 2012 @ 3:10p) |

Just came from my local Costco, this is now $799.99.

fwhomi (Sep. 23, 2012 @ 2:47p) |

Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

FIWALY said:   I just purchased the LG 60" plasma television model 60PA6550 for a net cost of $822.99. Price of the LG Plasma television is $849.99. minus 2% for my Costco executive membership and another 1% Cash Back from my American Express gives me a net of $822.99. No tax in Oregon. I have never been of fan of service plans but I purchased a Costco Square Trade 3 year extended plan for $59.99 before my additional 3% off. When you add the Square Trade 3 year service plan to the two year warranty Costco gives you, it gives me a 5 year in home service plan for $58.19. To me that's a no brainer.

I set the television up last night and I love it. Football has been great this morning. Colors are deep and rich. Yes this is a plasma and it is reflective so remember your light situation. We have this in our bedroom and its perfect. We have a couple of windows in the bedroom but the light situation is pretty controlled.

I chose this Costco Plasma LG after looking at the $899 60" Sharp LED at Frys for these reasons:

1) Motion Blur is something I didn't want to deal with. I love watching sports. The LG has none.
2) Colors, in the right light controlled environment the deep rich colors are hard to beat.
3) Costco's easy return policy, I know if I find something much better on black Friday I can return with no problems.
4) The Price, my net savings for the LG was about $68.00 over the Sharp.
5) Costco's two year warranty combined with Costco's 3 year Square trade warranty giving me a five year in home warranty for under $60.

Cons... Plasma, this TV would be too reflective for me in one of the rooms in our house because of all the windows. Frys Sharp TV would be much better and brighter for that.
The LG Plasma is heavy, the Sharp is much lighter.
The LG Plasma uses more energy than the Sharp. I think the difference was in the neighborhood of $15.00 a year.

Overall I'm very happy with the purchase of the LG plasma at Costco. I hope I can say the same thing 3 years from now.

If the 1% Cash-Back was from your use of the Costco Am Ex card, you should find the card also will add a year to the end of your five years of warranty/extended warranty coverage so six years of coverage.

True

I agree...that's the way it use to be. I even called American Express warranty department to confirm it when I bought my last laptop there. The guy at Costco said American Express recently cancel the additional warranty for any of the 2 year extended electronic products that Costco offers. I don't know if this is true. I will call and find out. I just said 5 years because I know I at least have five.

FIWALY said:   I agree...that's the way it use to be. I even called American Express warranty department to confirm it when I bought my last laptop there. The guy at Costco said American Express recently cancel the additional warranty for any of the 2 year extended electronic products that Costco offers. I don't know if this is true. I will call and find out. I just said 5 years because I know I at least have five.

Will be interested to hear what you learn. See Costco True Earnings Am Ex card and associated benefits shown here:
Link
https://www.americanexpress.com/us/content/card-benefits.html
(may need to copy paste as bounce may not work with the https site).

horizon6 said:   FIWALY said:   I agree...that's the way it use to be. I even called American Express warranty department to confirm it when I bought my last laptop there. The guy at Costco said American Express recently cancel the additional warranty for any of the 2 year extended electronic products that Costco offers. I don't know if this is true. I will call and find out. I just said 5 years because I know I at least have five.

Will be interested to hear what you learn. See Costco True Earnings Am Ex card and associated benefits shown here:
https://www.americanexpress.com/us/content/card-benefits.html
(may need to copy paste as bounce may not work with the https site).

Yes, I know the American Express warranty went beyond Costco's coverage. The way it was explained to me when I talked specifically to someone in the warranty department and not just normal customer service department... that the warranty was suppose to be used after all other warranty's were used including a Square Trade Warranty. It was never to go past a seventh year of coverage and it would double the manufactures warranty up to a year with a few exclusions. The Costco guy said we started adding the "Costco Square Trade Warranty" when American Express quit adding there additional coverage. I don't know if this is true. In fact mis information is worse than none at all. That is why I didn't put it in my post. I think there could possibly be a six year warranty but I would rather omit it if I'm not sure. I don't see why American Express would choose to drop it.

So it looks like this model (60PA6550) is only available at the warehouse stores. Does anyone know whether/what any features are removed from the LG 60PA6500 to bring this in at this very nice price point? Took some looking around at the AV forums but didn't find anything.

Thanks! Green for the OP!

I had a Vizio plasma go out, under 3 years old, but over 2 years. Did not have the extended warranty, I don't think they offered that back then. I called AMEX to get the warranty replacement. They said the AMEX warranty could not be added to the Costco warranty, so we were out of luck.

Also, I believe American Express limits their extended warranty coverage to a manufactures warranty of 4 years or less. So if a product comes with a 5 year or more warranty, AMEX extended warranty does not apply. FYI.

This does not matter with TVs at costco since apparently AMEX does not even extend the 2 year concierge service.

Good deal.

You have a 60" plasma in your bedroom?

If the model number listed below the OP is correct, here are some specs for this TV pulled from a listing at SamsClub.com.

3 HDMI jacks, one USB jack (for factory fimrware upgrades?). Of course, the set lacks any streaming apps, 3D, etc.

SpazzyChicken said:   Good deal.

You have a 60" plasma in your bedroom?

Not unheard of. I have a 65" Mits giant projection TV in my Masterbedroom. Obviously not for an apartment, but great for a larger masters bedroom in a house or condo i guess.

tarheelz1995 said:   So it looks like this model (60PA6550) is only available at the warehouse stores. Does anyone know whether/what any features are removed from the LG 60PA6500 to bring this in at this very nice price point? Took some looking around at the AV forums but didn't find anything.

This model is not exclusive to warehouse stores .(*edit for error:6550 model number is exclusive to warehouse , but is the same as the 6500)

Features and specs found HERE.

AVS forum PA6500 thread HERE

On as side note , its unfortunate that both Costco's in my area (92562/92584) no longer (and have not for awhile) even sell plasma's any longer (???) .Seems everywhere else in the country , Costco's have plasma's instore .

At the $850 Costco price , I'd probably grabbed the 60" too for my bedroom vs the 50" I picked up from Dell for $650 (being delivered tomorrow)

OP did well by not including the Am Ex warranty as part of the post.

Have not seen the documents yet, but the terms either have or are planned to change shortly. Formal notices should appear rather than word of mouth. Good chance of something like:
1. If manufacturer warranty at Costco is one years, the Costco Am Ex card would add one year.
2. If manufacturer warranty at Costco is two years, the Costco Am Ex card would add one year.
3. If Costco provides one year of concierge coverage after a one year manufacturer warranty, Am Ex would overlap in second year but no double dipping.
4. If Square Trade extended warranty takes total warranty coverage out to five years on a Costco purchase, Am Ex card would add one more year of coverage beyond that which would be equivalent to the manufacturer warranty.
Obviously, only the actual T&C's provided by Am Ex from time to time are the actual rules.

Both Costco and Am Ex are very respectable companies, so not great concern, but we'll need to wait and see.

stereo55 said:   tarheelz1995 said:   So it looks like this model (60PA6550) is only available at the warehouse stores. Does anyone know whether/what any features are removed from the LG 60PA6500 to bring this in at this very nice price point? Took some looking around at the AV forums but didn't find anything.

This model is not exclusive to warehouse stores .

Features and specs found HERE.

AVS forum PA6500 thread HERE

On as side note , its unfortunate that both Costco's in my area (92562/92584) no longer (and have not for awhile) even sell plasma's any longer (???) .Seems everywhere else in the country , Costco's have plasma's instore .

At the $850 Costco price , I'd probably grabbed the 60" too for my bedroom vs the 50" I picked up from Dell for $650 (being delivered tomorrow)

This is not a sale on the 60PA6500. It's a sale on the 60PA6550. I understood this to be a warehouse-only product. Do we know whether the 6500 specs apply to this one (ie what did they compromise on the warehouse model -- if anything.)

Same TV , PA6500 is the same as the PA6550 . Costco/Sams did the same with the Panasonic plasma U50 , listing thier model as a U54 . So , then yes the "model number" is exclusive to Costco/Sams/etc , but the tv's specs and everything are the same ; (there is a AVS thread about it also) .

Pulled the trigger and got the LG at Costco instead of the Fry's deal on the Sharp 60". So far love it, used settings found on AVS forum, awesome picture. Sure I'll pay few $ more a year in electric bill but I think it's well worth it. If anyone is looking at one they better hurry up. I went to Costco on Monday to check it out and they had 12 left on the floor, Thursday when I picked mine they were down to 3. Green...

have had this set a little over a month now and it is amazing at this price point and size

ktg said:   If the model number listed below the OP is correct, here are some specs for this TV pulled from a listing at SamsClub.com.

3 HDMI jacks, one USB jack (for factory fimrware upgrades?). Of course, the set lacks any streaming apps, 3D, etc.

I'm able to attach an external hard drive with movies saved on it to my TV via the USB drive.

Does this TV come with Wi-fi connectivity and any of the widgets (like Netflix, Vudu, Youtube etc.)?

dks123 said:   Does this TV come with Wi-fi connectivity and any of the widgets (like Netflix, Vudu, Youtube etc.)?

No , this is not a "SmartTV" (no apps/online/wifi), just a basic tv/plasma

dks123 said:   Does this TV come with Wi-fi connectivity and any of the widgets (like Netflix, Vudu, Youtube etc.)?
No it doesn't. But with the money you save you can pick up Roku or WD media player if you already don't own PS3, Xbox, etc... The picture quality on this plasma is worth at least twice the money I paid for it. If you watch sports make sure you connect it to the external over the air antena, picture will blow you away..

Just came from my local Costco, this is now $799.99.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014