b (14.65kB)
Disclaimer

c (59.37kB)
Disclaimer

d (7.21kB)
Disclaimer

e (6.40kB)
Disclaimer
Straight Talk Offering HOME PHONE for $15/month Starting 09/21! *UNLIMITED LOCAL AND LONG DISTANCE!*

http://www.straighttalkhomephone.com/

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Straight-Talk-Wireless-Home-Phone/2208...

http://www.straighttalkhomephone.com/shop.php

$15 A Month UNLIMITED* NATIONWIDE CALLING Local and Long Distance Calling includes voicemail, caller ID, 3-way calling, call waiting, call forwarding,
E911 and 411 at no extra cost

$30 A Month UNLIMITED NATIONWIDE PLUS INTERNATIONAL CALLING Nationwide local and long distance calling plus International calling to over 1000 destinations including Mexico, Canada, India and other countries

You buy the "Wireless" Home Phone gateway for $99.99 and is $15/ for 30 days of UNLIMITED home phone service for local and long distance!

If it really runs off Verizon, you could use this service wherever Verizon works in your area as a home based market. Its compatible with your existing home phone (Corded and Cordless) and for $15 monthly, you can't go wrong if you're trying to keep a home phone WITHOUT broadband internet!

Stay connected
No contract, no monthly bill and no activation fee
Unlimited Nationwide Calling
Keep your current phone number (we'll port it for you at no cost)
Internet connection not required
Rechargeable battery* allows you to make and receive calls in case of power outage
Voicemail, caller ID, 3-way calling, call waiting, call forwarding and 411
You can take your Straight Talk Wireless Home Phone with you to a different address**
Easy to Set Up

Package contains
Straight Talk Wireless Home Phone device
Rechargeable battery
AC adapter
Antenna
Service Guide and Activation Card

Straight Talk
Need a Straight Talk coupon that earns Up to 13.5% FatWallet Cash Back?
Member Summary

Straight Talk (13.22kB)
Thanks VBMcGB
Disclaimer

a (78.40kB)
Thanks Butcherboy
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
Is it a bad sign if my cell phone (which is Straight Talk on the Verizon network) already doesn't have great service in ... (more)

Silverthunder (Aug. 03, 2013 @ 4:12p) |

I would like to apply for home telephone seevice

wwwmreis (Sep. 11, 2013 @ 3:31p) |

The unit dropped $20 for on line order, maybe the store also.

yesidonoitall (Sep. 11, 2013 @ 3:34p) |

No-Contract Replacement for your Landline

All the features you need at no extra cost, even calls to 411

Portable wireless device

No High-Speed Internet or Landline required

Compatible with your existing corded or cordless phone

Keep your current number or get a new one
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

No-Contract Replacement for your Landline

All the features you need at no extra cost, even calls to 411

Portable wireless device

No High-Speed Internet or Landline required

Compatible with your existing corded or cordless phone

Keep your current number or get a new one

I wonder how it works if the service does not require high speed internet or landline? It sounds like a cheap alternative to landlines. Also keep in mind the fine-print:

"The GPS chip in the Equipment will operate only if you place the Equipment near a window or other opening to the exterior of the premises. In the event of an emergency call to 911, you must be prepared to provide your address and exact location inside the premises as the 911 call center will NOT have your physical address and may not be able to determine your location. If the corded or cordless phone which you connect to the Equipment requires external electric power to operate, your service (including the ability to make and receive 911 calls) will NOT be available during a power outage."

Interesting. Not bad considering you don't need to have internet access to use it. Didn't even know this kind of thing existed.

Seems to be a better deal than a lot of more known options (eg, Vonage is more per month and requires broadband).
If you have broadband ooma might be a better long term deal.

Thanks OP for the heads-up about this. Looks interesting.

Question: Will the 12.5% FW CashBack will work with this, making the cost of this home unit $87.49?

n/m

It is exactly that. A cell phone. Which means you could even take it with you and sport an old school brick phone in the car if you wanted.

crazyrusher said:   It is exactly that. A cell phone. Which means you could even take it with you and sport an old school brick phone in the car if you wanted.Cool, I miss the days (20 years ago) when I had a cool Motorola bag phone in the van.

With a 2 hour battery life it could be exactly that, a bag phone.

Novel idea.

Has anyone located the list of countries for the international option?

which cellphone carrier they using I know Straight Talk cell phones they use verizon.. and there sim card bring your own phone is through at&t.( makes a difference as far as reception)

alhluu said:   
I wonder how it works if the service does not require high speed internet or landline? It sounds like a cheap alternative to landlines. Also keep in mind the fine-print:

It's just a cellular gateway. These have existed, in various incarnations for many years. Running full voice is a bit new, since there wasn't much demand for it really. But, These sorts of devices are heavily used in scenarios where neither landlines or broadband are reliable or present. ATMs in remote, or portable locations use these all the time. Stores that have trouble maintaining a landline use these for their credit card dialup systems routinely. Event promoter contract with companies to provide ATM service at concerts, etc. They use cell service, and cell companies install temporary small towers to boost signal and capacity if needed. This is a logical extension to voice support.

For power outages, just use a UPS. The current requirements of this gateway plus a typical home phone are so small that a desktop PC UPS will hold it up for many hours, if not a couple days.

Infinion said:   alhluu said:   

It's just a cellular gateway. These have existed, in various incarnations for many years. Running full voice is a bit new, since there wasn't much demand for it really. But, These sorts of devices are heavily used in scenarios where neither landlines or broadband are reliable or present. ATMs in remote, or portable locations use these all the time. Stores that have trouble maintaining a landline use these for their credit card dialup systems routinely. Event promoter contract with companies to provide ATM service at concerts, etc. They use cell service, and cell companies install temporary small towers to boost signal and capacity if needed. This is a logical extension to voice support.

For power outages, just use a UPS. The current requirements of this gateway plus a typical home phone are so small that a desktop PC UPS will hold it up for many hours, if not a couple days.

According to their FAQ, it has a battery built in.

What is the Straight Talk Wireless Home Phone battery for?
The rechargeable battery serves as a backup in case of a power outage, provided the battery is charged and the phone plugged into the Straight Talk Wireless Home Phone device does not require an external power source. Fully charged, the battery provides you with continues service for up to 2 hours talk-time and up to 36 hours stand-by time.

koulouty said:   

For the cell gateway. But if your wired phone needs power, it's useless. And if you're going to put the home phone on the UPS, might as well put the gateway on it too.

Infinion said:   koulouty said:   

For the cell gateway. But if your wired phone needs power, it's useless. And if you're going to put the home phone on the UPS, might as well put the gateway on it too.

I assume this would work. You could do the following:
1. Disconnect copper phone line coming into home (at the telco's box)
2. Connect one of the gateway's two ports to an open phone jack in your home
3. Connect any number of phones (powered or not) to the other phone jacks in your home.

Assuming one of the phones is not cordless/needs no power, you'd have one in-case-of-emergency phones with no UPS needed.

koulouty said:   
2. Connect one of the gateway's two ports to an open phone jack in your home

I don't think this will work the way you expect it to. Maybe if you rewired that port. I could check though, it's been a while.

If you had said phone that doesn't require power to function, just plug that into the gateway, and you have the same thing you're suggesting... I guess what I'm saying, is that most people home phones need power anyway. I guess, I don't know really. I haven't had a home phone for a decade.

I wonder if my alarm company would be able to pick this up? Would tey be able to tell if I just switched to Straight Talk and hooked my alarm system into this? Then I would still have regular phone for my gate access and would be able to get rid of my landline. Any guidance would be appreciated.

Will this work with ADT?

Should work. The gateway should look like a phone line to whatever is plugged into it. On the outside world, it looks like a cell phone. So, unless your alarm company can somehow block calls from cell phone, I would think it works. Some ATM machines and vending machines expect a hard phone line, and these things are used instead. Works fine with them.

Thanks for the reply. I will check with ADT.

Agreed on alarm usage. I think some companies offer this type of connection for their alarms... Basically a cell phone in a box by the alarm. I think they likely charge you more per month than this.. Might be worth comparing if that is your use case.

If you have them in your area, start looking at ATMs that are tacked onto the side of random buildings. Also, look at Redbox rental kiosks. Most have a cellular antenna up on top of them. They're attached to something like this, although some aren't setup as a telephone line, but a dedicated Ethernet port. Similar concept though. ATMs, specifically, and POS systems almost always have legacy support to accept a hard phone line. Alarm systems are similar, since a telephone line is typically more reliable than a broadband connection.

Equipment is not compatible with data services such as: home security systems, fax machines, DVR services, credit card images, or medical alert systems.

ricky0254 said:   Equipment is not compatible with data services such as: home security systems, fax machines, DVR services, credit card images, or medical alert systems.

If your device uses a phone call, or a text, then it will work. But, if it sends data, then that's probably true. I was somehow assuming that alarm systems made a phone call?

They make a phone call that sends data, that's why they usually require POTS

I haven't looked lately, but the verizon version of this was $129 with no contract and about $10/month if you had service with verizon wireless... I don't know if that's changed since the share everything plans came out, but if interested in this, someone should check that option too.

Also, as I remember, there were a lot of problems with call quality when verizon's first came out.

Regards
SteveG

can You Fax? if not, why would You need this?

The reason I have a landline is that I can actually hear the other party, we can have a conversation.
Cellular service, to date, does not allow this, even on Verizon or Sprint.
Some broadband-based service does, inconsistently, and "HD" codecs may improve things.
But I wouldn't expect a cellular gateway to do so.

The price is right, assuming it doesn't increase.

Not sure how many people want a "home phone", while not having broadband service.

elray said:   The reason I have a landline is that I can actually hear the other party, we can have a conversation.
Cellular service, to date, does not allow this, even on Verizon or Sprint.
Some broadband-based service does, inconsistently, and "HD" codecs may improve things.
But I wouldn't expect a cellular gateway to do so.

The price is right, assuming it doesn't increase.

Not sure how many people want a "home phone", while not having broadband service.

I am in the NYC metro area and my cell service is generally very good on verizon. I have a home landline, but I use >1000 cell minutes per month for business.... I do not feel I am compronmising on verizon.

Also, I have Ooma which is, IMHO, fantastic. It is very consistent over cable broadband.

Maybe this is due to my location... but I can see people replacing their home line with this.

SteveG

This still does not beat Ooma Telo!

I suspect it would work better than an Ooma Telo if you had no broadband

Two questions?
1. Can I fax ?
2. Will my ADT system work with this?

T-Mobile has one like this for 9.99 per month and Verizon has like this for 19.99 per month but they both need you to have Cell plan to add on to and may not be prepaid.

Can you buy a verizon connect on eBay and use it on Straight Talk or do they forbid BYOD on the home phone?

Edit: I wonder if the $100 includes the first months service?

JonnyRock said:   I suspect it would work better than an Ooma Telo if you had no broadband

I agree! However, if one does not have broadband...they probably have no desire to enjoy things like this either!

Regarding alarms, it clearly notes on page:

"Equipment is not compatible with data services such as: home security systems, fax machines, DVR services, credit card images, or medical alert systems"

This is not to say it will not work. Most alarms these days are basically using ContactID standard which is a 300 baud data call that exchanges a few bits.

I guess the point is YMMV... Would want to hear some positive results on this first.

Can you somehow use cell phones on this & send & receive texts?

zapjb said:   Can you somehow use cell phones on this & send & receive texts?
I suspect you could clone the meid of the box to a cellular phone but extra features such as data and text are almost certainly disabled. Still, someone creative could have unlimited cellular minutes by exploiting this device, but I think the application is too limited to have any practical value.

It's a great option for those not owning a cell phone or have limited minutes. I use ST's unlimited talk, text, and data ($45)... so I don't see the need. Great price point though. $99 for the device and $15 for the service.

You might use this with a data device if you step the transmission rate down. Probably not, but that's what I had to do with my ooma.

"Ooma Tivo dial strings" is your search term of choice. I can't link to it due to fatwallet's policies.

Better yet, go to Amazon.com and buy a Obi100. Then you get totally free home phone service like hunderds of thousands of others. Better than Comcast, Vonage, etc.. I love it, and it is totally 100% free.

Skipping 98 Messages...
The unit dropped $20 for on line order, maybe the store also.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014