• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Newegg offers the ASUS AMD FX 6-Core 3.5GHz Desktop PC (no monitor), model no. CM1831-US-2AB, for $499.99 with free shipping. It features an AMD FX-6120 3.5GHz 6-core processor, 8GB RAM, 1TB 7200 rpm hard drive, DVD burner, memory card reader, 802.11n wireless, Gigabit Ethernet, USB 3.0, and Windows Home Premium 64-bit.
LINK

Of note: This PC is eligible for a Windows 8 Professional upgrade for $14.99.

Member Summary

pic
Thanks sartor
Disclaimer
ASUS (CM1831-US-2AB) Desktop PC w/ AMD FX-6120 Six Core Processor

AMD FX-6120 Six Core (3.5GHz, 8MB L3 Cache)
ATI Radeon 3000 IGP
8GB DDR3 1600 RAM
1TB 7,200RPM Hard Drive
VGA, DVI, & HDMI Ports
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit

Features include a 300 watt power supply, gigabit ethernet, wireless N, USB keyboard and mouse, 24 x DVD burner, and a 1-year limited warranty.
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Was going to pull the trigger, and then found this one:

http://www.frys.com/product/6943547?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

Asus CM1831-US-3AA Desktop PC with AMD Eight-Core FX-8120 Processor ,8GB DDR3 Memory,2TB SATA Drive

$500 + tax after rebate.

The FX-8120 runs at slower 3.1 GHz but has 8-core. For gaming, or ordinary stuff the 6-core one posted by OP will be a better deal. But I'm looking for a cheap desktop to run some simulations for work, and the more cores the better for my application. Depending on your application, these are both great deal for $500

Wow 8 cores, I think it's a little over the top.

What kind of simulations/programs/work are you doing to utilize all 8 cores?

khtse said:   Was going to pull the trigger, and then found this one:

http://www.frys.com/product/6943547?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

Asus CM1831-US-3AA Desktop PC with AMD Eight-Core FX-8120 Processor ,8GB DDR3 Memory,2TB SATA Drive

$500 + tax after rebate.

I'm seeing 550 after rebate? Still not bad though. I think the 50 premium for the extra cores is probably worth it, but only if, as you pointed out, you actually have a use for those cores.

BudmanTom said:   Wow 8 cores, I think it's a little over the top.

What kind of simulations/programs/work are you doing to utilize all 8 cores?

Academic research.

Anyway, I did some homework before pulling the trigger and decided not to. The way AMD does 8-core is not really "true" 8-core. Some resources are shared between each pair of core. For example, there is only 4 floating point units on the 8-core CPU. It does have an integer cluster for each "core" though. But for the kind of work that I do, floating point is everything. So for me, this is basically just a quad-core CPU, with each core significantly worse than Intel's offerings and I'm much better off going with Intel. If you applications are highly threaded and doesn't rely completely on floating point performance, this is a good deal though.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014