• Page :
  • 1
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Dual USB 3.0 and USB 2.0 compatibility best deal I have seen since the floods in Thailand

http://www.staples.com/Western-Digital-My-Book-Essential-3TB-Ext...

Staples
See Staples promo codes that earn Up to 2.5% FatWallet Cash Back.
Member Summary

3tb Western Digital My Book Essential
Thanks VBMcGB
Disclaimer
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

The same drive is currently $140 at Amazon with FS and no tax for some lucky people.

TexasLoneStar said:   The same drive is currently $140 at Amazon with FS and no tax for some lucky people.please link next time. ty.

Pretty good find. Next time, though, don't repeat the manufacturer's or retailer's inflated selling points. "Dual USB 3.0 and USB 2.0" is not a feature. Working on USB 2 is a requirement for all USB 3 interfaces, so of course this USB 3 drive is USB 2-compatible.

The worst one I saw was years ago when Staples advertised thin jewel cases. I'm pretty sure they said, "store twice as many discs in half the space". That's an out-and-out misrepresentation.

python2k said:   Pretty good find. Next time, though, don't repeat the manufacturer's or retailer's inflated selling points. "Dual USB 3.0 and USB 2.0" is not a feature. Working on USB 2 is a requirement for all USB 3 interfaces, so of course this USB 3 drive is USB 2-compatible.

The worst one I saw was years ago when Staples advertised thin jewel cases. I'm pretty sure they said, "store twice as many discs in half the space". That's an out-and-out misrepresentation.


Just needed something to complain about?

OP putting dual usb 3.0 and 2.0 helps out the people who aren't super tech savvy and know that usb is backward compatible. It's not just repeating inflated selling points, it's helping out others. Relax.

It has been this price for many, many weeks. You can make a deal by using a coupon (20% off in the past)

Too bad Petco doesn't sell these

If you're looking at that one, why not check the Seagate one? 3TB, USB3, $140... combine with coupons... link

PhDeez said:   If you're looking at that one, why not check the Seagate one? 3TB, USB3, $140... combine with coupons... link

Western Digital has twice the warranty. 2 year vs 1 year.

TexasLoneStar said:   The same drive is currently $140 at Amazon with FS and no tax for some lucky people.
Utah is off Amaz0n's radar and I hope it stay that way!

asuka said:   PhDeez said:   If you're looking at that one, why not check the Seagate one? 3TB, USB3, $140... combine with coupons... link

Western Digital has twice the warranty. 2 year vs 1 year.


Deals with 1 and 2 year warranties? HDDs need 3 to 5 year warranties. Hard disk is all about data and reliability and 5 year warranty sounds good to the ears!

BB also has it for 149.99 right now. In store sale in FL.

rockymast said:   asuka said:   PhDeez said:   If you're looking at that one, why not check the Seagate one? 3TB, USB3, $140... combine with coupons... link

Western Digital has twice the warranty. 2 year vs 1 year.


Deals with 1 and 2 year warranties? HDDs need 3 to 5 year warranties. Hard disk is all about data and reliability and 5 year warranty sounds good to the ears!


HDD warranty has nothing to do with data or reliability, only what length of time they will replace the product if it fails, at which point you still lose the data if you didn't make backups. Warranty has nothing to do with whether you make backups.

rockymast said:   asuka said:   PhDeez said:   If you're looking at that one, why not check the Seagate one? 3TB, USB3, $140... combine with coupons... link

Western Digital has twice the warranty. 2 year vs 1 year.


Deals with 1 and 2 year warranties? HDDs need 3 to 5 year warranties. Hard disk is all about data and reliability and 5 year warranty sounds good to the ears!


It's called supply and demand. After Thailand, and the mergers that resulted, there are far fewer competitors and drives are in short supply. The days of 3/5 year warranties on external drives are pretty much gone... for now at least.

If you want 3 years, buy a WDC drive with 2-year warranty on a credit card that offers an extra year of warranty protection.

P.S. Drive makers cut warranties because consumers realized they're pretty worthless. You either have to pay for advanced replacement, wait for the replacement drive to arrive, or go out and buy another one. Considering how much drive speeds/capacities increase over two years, anything longer just results in pocket change savings versus buying a new drive.

P.S. Drive makers cut warranties because consumers realized they're pretty worthles

Not worthless. Just replaced my 3-years old 1.5TB drive with warranty.



Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014