• Page :
  • 1
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Under $20 for an N300 router seems like a good deal. Not sure about flashing to Tomato and DD-WRT (experts need to weigh in).

Link

Netgear Refurbished N300 Wireless-N Router:
Wireles-N technology
Backwards compatible with 802.11b and 802.11g standards
Parental controls
Network Address Translation (NAT) to hide PCs and files from outside users
Stateful packet inspection (SPI) firewall to deny outside requests for personal information
Denial-of-service (DoS) attack prevention
Intrusion detection and prevention (IDS)
WiFi Protected Access (WPA2-PSK, WPA-PSK)
Wired Equivalent Privacy (WEP) 64-bit, 128-bit encryption
Wireless access control to identify authorized wireless network devices
Exposed host (DMZ) for secure gaming
Wi-Fi Protected Setup (WPS), push-button and PIN
Includes stand, Ethernet cable, setup CD, 2V power adapter and warranty/support information card

1.5% in FW Cash Back too.

Walmart
See Walmart promo codes that earn 2.0% FatWallet Cash Back.
Member Summary

Netgear N300 Wireless Router
Thanks Valtron9000
Disclaimer
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Nice router. DD-WRT support depends on the exact version - apparently there are some that don't support it, but my WNR2000 works fine, although it only has 4MB Flash so it's a bit limited.

Newegg has these for around the same price fairly regularly, including free shipping.

what can this do, please?

SinglePapa said:   what can this do, please?

Umm... it can route. Wirelessly.

I'm in for two and hoping to use these to set up a wireless infrastructure to avoid having to run hard wire cat5 from my current router to my two new TiVo boxes that I just bought. I read the Netgear user manual before purchasing and it looks possible to configure these routers in this manner.

ok so, in my case, will it boost my free signal? I don't pay for internet. I live in a 6-story building, where among other (secured) networks, two unsecured are listed: NETGEAR and DD-RT. Signal is weak, but my laptop does connect to them via open window
Gambit3 said:   SinglePapa said:   what can this do, please?

Umm... it can route. Wirelessly.

In for 1.

SinglePapa said:   ok so, in my case, will it boost my free signal? I don't pay for internet. I live in a 6-story building, where among other (secured) networks, two unsecured are listed: NETGEAR and DD-RT. Signal is weak, but my laptop does connect to them via open window
Gambit3 said:   SinglePapa said:   what can this do, please?

Umm... it can route. Wirelessly.


Ummm... yeah, I'm not going to give you advice on how to more efficiently steal somebody else's bandwidth.

I'm technically challenged; but my honest impression is that whoever those original NETGEAR and DD-WRT are - they miss nothing. They may not even be using internet most of the time. Some people just buy triple-play for $79/mo and have little use for internet

You're lucky. I just read an article about how US courts ruled it LEGAL to access the internet through an open hotspot.

I like how WalMart's site claims "Lifetime warranty" in two places, when these refurbs have ZERO mfg warranty. (No serial number, needed for warranty service.)

SinglePapa said:   I'm technically challenged; but my honest impression is that whoever those original NETGEAR and DD-WRT are - they miss nothing. They may not even be using internet most of the time. Some people just buy triple-play for $79/mo and have little use for internetThat's right! Much of the time they use the Telepathy-Net.

Keep this under your hat, though. Otherwise eveyone will be doing it.

Thanks Anonguy - in for one.

You're exactly right: most people in my building who bought the $79/mo triple play package - only watch TV, period. Their internet connection is just sitting there for when grandkids visit... I do no downloading/uploading/streaming, so for my e-mail and fatwallet that hotspot is basically enough. Only thing: with rainy/cold season upon us, I won't be able to keep that window open - so how can I boost my connection?
fw9999 said:   SinglePapa said:   I'm technically challenged; but my honest impression is that whoever those original NETGEAR and DD-WRT are - they miss nothing. They may not even be using internet most of the time. Some people just buy triple-play for $79/mo and have little use for internetThat's right! Much of the time they use the Telepathy-Net.

Keep this under your hat, though. Otherwise eveyone will be doing it.

SinglePapa said:   You're exactly right: most people in my building who bought the $79/mo triple play package - only watch TV, period. Their internet connection is just sitting there for when grandkids visit... I do no downloading/uploading/streaming, so for my e-mail and fatwallet that hotspot is basically enough. Only thing: with rainy/cold season upon us, I won't be able to keep that window open - so how can I boost my connection?
fw9999 said:   SinglePapa said:   I'm technically challenged; but my honest impression is that whoever those original NETGEAR and DD-WRT are - they miss nothing. They may not even be using internet most of the time. Some people just buy triple-play for $79/mo and have little use for internetThat's right! Much of the time they use the Telepathy-Net.

Keep this under your hat, though. Otherwise eveyone will be doing it.


Sometimes boosting power in the router can cause more noise which can hurt speeds. You could always buy a cheap router that you can replace the ant. with a higher dbi or directional one.

NeweggNeweggfroberts2 said:   Nice router. DD-WRT support depends on the exact version - apparently there are some that don't support it, but my WNR2000 works fine, although it only has 4MB Flash so it's a bit limited.

Newegg has these for around the same price fairly regularly, including free shipping.



Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014