• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:

Meritline.com
See Meritline.com discounts that earn 3.5% FatWallet Cash Back.
Member Summary

Roku (31.91kB)
Thanks BMWLVR82
Disclaimer

Why are these things being dumped so suddenly? Are the obsolete or duds?

I ordered this last week and received it on Friday. It is either too buggy or the product is not really tested before released by the refurbishing dept. It just hang randomly. First it got hung while trying to activate with their website itself. After that it hung a few times and once was while launching the built in game. My TV keep displaying a message that it received non-compatible Audio. There is no setting on Roku to change anything with the Audio Stream Format.

I am way underwhelmed during the little time I spent with it. Now I know why there are too many refurbished units. There are hidden facts which you will know only when you try to use it. They do not mention anywhere that they need to keep your credit card number on file in order to let you use their device. Both my Sony BluRay player and Samsung player has most of the needed functionality already built-in and I don;t have to give my credit card number in order to use it. I think in the long run Roku will be replaced by appropriate tablet applications.

Good point - guess two factors are hurting Roku at this point, nothing wrong the device itself though:

1) its inability to keep YouTube channel (it even lost the YouTube private channel; I know raterix/facebook work-around, but that is a different story / pain-point )
2) With its recent partnership with Dish, Roku losing most (if not ALL) international streaming channels (paid/useful ethnic entertainment streaming/live channels)

Following is my own-gripe:
3) No Google TV simiar to Vizio Co-Star (you could now Pre-Order for Oct 1 ship date; http://store.vizio.com/costar.html)

Personally I love Roku, but Yanking-out on important channels like YouTube, and international TV streaming-channels -- is hurting Roku's open-ness, broader appeal

This is causing recent purchasers to punt/return Roku back to shop., which are likely showing up as refurbs.

vadeltachi said:   Why are these things being dumped so suddenly? Are the obsolete or duds?

Playon is the way to go. You can stream all of the content and you just need a game system like a wii, x box or playstation. Playon has a free trial for 2 weeks. Also there is a ton of user created scripts that provide more content. It is hard to beat but isn't in hd.

I have Roku also. I am using Plex App (www.plexapp.com) to watch Youtube/Dailymotion videos in Roku. The App has chrome browser plugin which allows you add videos to your plex app account. Initially you have to link your plex app account to Roku.

Plex app allows to play youtube/dailymotion videos

I used to love Meritline, but stopped buying from them after the last few flashlights, etc. did not work. You are really living dangerously getting a refurb from Meritline. Roku rocks though. Where else can I still watch Leo Laporte.

jaytoocheap said:   Playon is the way to go. You can stream all of the content and you just need a game system like a wii, x box or playstation. Playon has a free trial for 2 weeks. Also there is a ton of user created scripts that provide more content. It is hard to beat but isn't in hd.
Playon is attractive, but their licensing is very sketchy. Repeated requests for clarification have disappointed. Worse, though, Playon is SD only. I'm kind of getting used to HD.

Between you, me, and the four walls, I don't get the whole channel count metric. I have spent way too much time trying to figure out what I can watch on a Roku and how much it will cost. Frankly, I'm not sure Roku has much more to watch than some of the lesser streamers.

I have 'settled' for the SMP-N200. The channel list is modest, but I watch the same channels on either box. Channels that would interest me are little more than surfing the internet on a TV. I really want streamed programming.

That said, what I do most with these things -- even more than Netflix -- is watch my collection of encoded DVDs hosted on an attached usb disk. The breadth of the collection is not impressive, but I liked each movie/tv show enough to buy a DVD/box set. The SMP starts playing the next file in the folder when it finishes the current file. I've named the videos in such a way that I can kick off a day of Indiana Jones, The Godfather, or Bond with a single click.

And these can be had for $35-$50 everyday. Just sayin'

wizwor said:   jaytoocheap said:   Playon is the way to go. You can stream all of the content and you just need a game system like a wii, x box or playstation. Playon has a free trial for 2 weeks. Also there is a ton of user created scripts that provide more content. It is hard to beat but isn't in hd.
Playon is attractive, but their licensing is very sketchy. Repeated requests for clarification have disappointed. Worse, though, Playon is SD only. I'm kind of getting used to HD.

Between you, me, and the four walls, I don't get the whole channel count metric. I have spent way too much time trying to figure out what I can watch on a Roku and how much it will cost. Frankly, I'm not sure Roku has much more to watch than some of the lesser streamers.

I have 'settled' for the SMP-N200. The channel list is modest, but I watch the same channels on either box. Channels that would interest me are little more than surfing the internet on a TV. I really want streamed programming.

That said, what I do most with these things -- even more than Netflix -- is watch my collection of encoded DVDs hosted on an attached usb disk. The breadth of the collection is not impressive, but I liked each movie/tv show enough to buy a DVD/box set. The SMP starts playing the next file in the folder when it finishes the current file. I've named the videos in such a way that I can kick off a day of Indiana Jones, The Godfather, or Bond with a single click.

Not to be disrespectfull, but do most people watch a movie or an episode of A TV show more than 2-3 times in A 4 or 5 year period? I guess I am spoiled I have all sorts of ways to watch a movie if I want to.

wizwor said:   jaytoocheap said:   Playon is the way to go. You can stream all of the content and you just need a game system like a wii, x box or playstation. Playon has a free trial for 2 weeks. Also there is a ton of user created scripts that provide more content. It is hard to beat but isn't in hd.

Not to be disrespectfull, but do most people watch a movie or an episode of A TV show more than 2-3 times in A 4 or 5 year period? I guess I am spoiled I have all sorts of ways to watch a movie if I want to.

Better code: MLCQ917HP $70

In41, LOL!

chirravu said:   Good point - guess two factors are hurting Roku at this point, nothing wrong the device itself though:

1) its inability to keep YouTube channel (it even lost the YouTube private channel; I know raterix/facebook work-around, but that is a different story / pain-point )
2) With its recent partnership with Dish, Roku losing most (if not ALL) international streaming channels (paid/useful ethnic entertainment streaming/live channels)

Following is my own-gripe:
3) No Google TV simiar to Vizio Co-Star (you could now Pre-Order for Oct 1 ship date; http://store.vizio.com/costar.html)

Personally I love Roku, but Yanking-out on important channels like YouTube, and international TV streaming-channels -- is hurting Roku's open-ness, broader appeal
Wow, I disagree mightily with all three of these reasons.

1) Roku didn't choose to discontinue its YouTube channel, Google issued a Cease & Desist order demanding Roku stop offering it. Blame Google for this one.

2) The partnership with Dish offers potential in the future for domestic content partnerships. Yes, in the short run, people lost access to channels from other countries. Your average US-born mainstream consumer didn't want those channels anyway. They're more of interest to immigrants and people with family in other countries who want to keep up with the news there. In the long run, there will likely be domestic channels added to Roku because of the Dish partnership.

3) I own both a Google TV device and 3 Roku devices. If you want to talk about missing content, Google TV has that covered, that service has a million blind spots. None of the US broadcast networks allow streams from their web sites to be offered on GTV. Hulu is not available on GTV. If you wanted to stream an episode of "Modern Family" or any current network TV series not streamed on Netflix, you're going to be out of luck with a Google TV device. The one advantage I will say that GTV has over Roku is the browser. You can look at web sites on GTV and not on a Roku.

1) Does not matter cause and effect, but the Net result is: lack of YouTube on Roku contributes to lesser appeal

2) Potential may be just the hope. Reality may be that: this "bed-fellows" relationship could prohibit Roku to continue to offer viable/useful streaming options in future. Nobody guessed Dish's partnership would have prevented "international" channels! Domestic channels may stifle too!? If they were serious, at the time of banning international line-up, they would have added a few useful/newer channels, but they did/could not. Hint !

3) Some of the sporting events are streamed via Web-sites, so having a browser functionality with Flash/HTML5 doesn't hurt ! (would love espn3 !)

By the way, I own 4 Rokus, and have recommended/contributed to over dozen units to family and neighbors. Just a caution that Roku is losing something here. All of a sudden if you spot cheap Rokus on local craigslist or eBay, don't be concerned about device itself. Just be warned that Roku channels/content are being hit (in short term, who knows about long term!)

excoriatorb said:   Wow, I disagree mightily with all three of these reasons.

1) Roku didn't choose to discontinue its YouTube channel, Google issued a Cease & Desist order demanding Roku stop offering it. Blame Google for this one.

2) The partnership with Dish offers potential in the future for domestic content partnerships. Yes, in the short run, people lost access to channels from other countries. Your average US-born mainstream consumer didn't want those channels anyway. They're more of interest to immigrants and people with family in other countries who want to keep up with the news there. In the long run, there will likely be domestic channels added to Roku because of the Dish partnership.

3) I own both a Google TV device and 3 Roku devices. If you want to talk about missing content, Google TV has that covered, that service has a million blind spots. None of the US broadcast networks allow streams from their web sites to be offered on GTV. Hulu is not available on GTV. If you wanted to stream an episode of "Modern Family" or any current network TV series not streamed on Netflix, you're going to be out of luck with a Google TV device. The one advantage I will say that GTV has over Roku is the browser. You can look at web sites on GTV and not on a Roku.

Playon runs specials. I signed up for a year for just under $20. There is so much content on there and guys are creating new content all the time. I signed up because of the MSG twc dispute so I could watch knick games I would advise you to try the free trial before investing in a device like Roku. You can acces playon content thru Roku but I believe you pay a monthly fee. Playon may have licensing issues down the road but it is a minimal investment and a minimal risk in my opinion.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014