• Go to page :
  • 1 234
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
NOTE 1: I intend to keep this thread updated as the currently unknown prices become known and other information surfaces.

NOTE 2: This is B&M ONLY. While similar deals exist online, they are not nearly as good. In order to pre-order in store, you are looking for a full color 5x7 (I think) cardstock with a red strip at the top. These exist for each movie. They are typically found on a display in the DVD/Blu Ray section or by the registers.

This can get a little confusing for those who have not done this in the past, so please read all of the details. I will try to make them as clear as I can.

With the slew of upcoming top tier Disney Blu Ray releases, Toys R Us is once again offering some form of discount if preordering. What has historically made this deal very hot is that, because of the sequential nature of the releases (never two in one week), the deals can be daisy chained until the end.

The way the TRU preorder works is that when you put a $5 preorder deposit down on an upcoming movie, you get a discount on a current Disney Blu Ray purchase.

The discounts are as follows...

$10 - Cinderella, Tinker Bell: Secret of the Wings
$8 - Brave, Finding Nemo

So essentially, even if you never pick up (or return) the preorder, you still get a $3-$5 discount on your current purchase. Where this becomes great is the stacking with other deals, such as release week sales (and possibly Disney coupons if they ever come back).

EDIT: Avengers was ultimately not part of this deal. As such, it has been removed.

$5 preorder Cinderella by 10/1. Get a free clock, and save $10 on any other Disney Blu Ray (if you so desire)
$30-$10-$5 coupon = $15 to pick up Cinderella, the Cinderella clock, and preorder Tinker Bell on 10/2 (I will use my $10 GC at this time)
$28-$8-$5 coupon = $15 to pick up Tinker Bell and preorder Brave on 10/23
$28-$8 to pick up Brave and preorder Nemo on 11/13
$28-$5-$5 coupon to pick up Nemo on 12/4 ($5 was already put down on 11/13)

Rebates:
-There is a $10 rebate on either Brave or Finding Nemo if you purchase 2 Kellog's cereals.
-There is a $3 rebate on Tinker Bell if you buy three cans of Goya 8 oz. Tomato Sauce (Spanish Style)

Of course, if Disney releases coupons (or rebates), those will discount these prices further. TRU has also on occasion had free GCs with purchase of their movies (Lady and the Tramp was the most recent Disney new release to have this). Historically, these deals have stacked with no issue. You also could skip any movie in the sequence (Tinker Bell?) and just substitute the next one. You could also jump in late (at the cost of missing out on earlier titles and/or paying a little more per title in the long run). If a currently unannounced price turns out to be just terrible, one has been able to return the preorder in the past. Also, there are rumors that one could preorder multiple titles at once and receive multiple discounts at once.

Disney Store
Need a Disney Store coupon that earns 1.5% FatWallet Cash Back?
Member Summary

Disney
Thanks Neilium
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
Mulan and Hunchback (and maybe Brother Bear) are on my list for enrollment titles with DMC as soon as they become availa... (more)

DoctorDeals (Mar. 11, 2013 @ 6:49a) |

$5 coupon towards specific editions of The Little Mermaid on Amazon here
To be released Oct 1st

thedbn (Apr. 22, 2013 @ 7:22p) |

Oz The Great and Powerful $7 Coupon
link
Valid June 1114, 2013

thedbn (May. 10, 2013 @ 4:42p) |

Side deal that can work alongside the original chain

-The Toys R Us Big Toy Book releases Sunday. It has a coupon for a free $10 GC when buying Disney movies totaling $40.

-Disney finally released a Tigger Movie coupon today. The good news is that the expiration date is not for some time, which could allow combination with deals here. For example, when I go to pick up Brave, I may very well do this:

$x (Brave release week sale price)
+$30 Tigger movie (assuming no sale)
+$5 Nemo preorder
+$5 Nemo preorder
-$5 Tigger coupon
-$8 Brave discount (from Nemo1)
-$8 Tigger discount (from Nemo2)
-$10 GC from coupon from TRU Big Toy book ($10 GC for any Disney Blu purchase of $40)
----------------
$x+9 for both movies

I would then use the GC when I pick up Nemo, plus I already have $5 down for Brave, so the out of pocket total for me would actually be $x+4. Returning the second preorder and any Brave coupon would sweeten the deal further.
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Disney owns the avengerscoupon.com domain and Amazon was offering a $5 coupon through Disney for the Avengers pre-order, so hopefully there's a $5 coupon that goes live soon.

Super green for the algebraic process.

Dr Deals is back to the rescue again
another opportunity to save on Disney titles
thanks

What do you mean '$5 preorder for Avengers by 9/24'?. I think at 9/25 you go to buy Avengers and preorder one of other disney movie. Then you get $10 off.

Thanks op

TheGreatAccident said:   Disney owns the avengerscoupon.com domain and Amazon was offering a $5 coupon through Disney for the Avengers pre-order, so hopefully there's a $5 coupon that goes live soon.

Both are true, BUT Amazon had coupons for all of the recent releases (Aristocats, Rescuers, Pocahontas, etc.) and Disney did not. Also, I have seen rumors of Disney announcing on their DMR Facebook page that they would not be releasing a coupon. I have been unable to find any such announcement though.

truelies said:   What do you mean '$5 preorder for Avengers by 9/24'?. I think at 9/25 you go to buy Avengers and preorder one of other disney movie. Then you get $10 off.

In addition to the four Disney preorder cards, there is also a preorder card for Avengers. It says that if you preorder Avengers (for $5) by 9/24, you will get a $5 gift card when you go to pick the movie up. You would not be able to use the GC on that particular purchase, but you would at that point preorder Cinderella for it's $10 discount (and since you already preordered Avengers, that preorder money just "rolls" into the next preorder). This, of course, assumes TRU will view Avengers as a Disney title.

Updated OP to include some clarification on certain points and to add others I forgot to mention at first (namely B&M only).

Green for the effort

I'm looking at this week's Toys R Us ad right now. It's confirmed that Avengers 4 Disc 3D Blu-ray set will be $27.99. The two-disc blu-ray set is $22.99. Also, you get a $5 gift card with any Avengers blu-ray purchase.

waynejs said:   I'm looking at this week's Toys R Us ad right now. It's confirmed that Avengers 4 Disc 3D Blu-ray set will be $27.99. The two-disc blu-ray set is $22.99. Also, you get a $5 gift card with any Avengers blu-ray purchase.
Yep, and when I saw the ad, I immediately got my preorder card to confirm it said a $5 GC for reserving a copy.

Soooooo, the way I read it, one should be eligible for BOTH GCs, as one is the preorder bonus and one is the regular sale. Obviously much will depend on how the registers are configured to ring the transaction up.

Ok - will stop by tomorrow and hope they still have preorder cards (typically they'll pull those away a couple of days before the release).

So, assuming it's still there. When I pick up, we'll get a $10 off for preordering Cinderella?

Did my preorder but got an email that the shipment did not arrive and they will not be able to fulfill my order until later ... with no indication of what "later" is.

Ok - so now it looks like this might be a better deal...

Target will have the 3D combo pack at $19.99 - Ripped from SD and posted here

Hmm - that one is pretty much confirmed.

TRU confirmed a $5 GC. So what we don't know yet is if the $10 discount would apply? If so, it would be:

$28 - $10 discount + $5 cinderella deposit = $23 + $5GC

So I might still do the preorder and see how it plans out...

kmsandrbs said:   Did my preorder but got an email that the shipment did not arrive and they will not be able to fulfill my order until later ... with no indication of what "later" is.

I have received these in the past when stock was plentiful. I would check anyway if not terribly inconvenient.

As for the GCs and Cinderella discount, everything is going to depend on the way the registers are programmed to process, but I can very easily see the following working.

THIS IS SPECULATIVE FOR NOW...

1) Cashier scans the barcode on the preorder receipt. This generates one $5 GC and rings up the movie for $28 - $5 already put down. (Basically ringing the movie up at its advertised price/GC promo)
2) Cashier scans the barcode on the preorder card (which it clearly indicates they are to do). This generates a SECOND $5 GC.
3) Cashier scans the Cinderella preorder, this knocks off another $5, with $5 going toward Cinderella.

So basically, the movie will for certain be no more than $23 after GC, it will likely be no more than $18 after discount/GC if either the Cinderella preorder OR the second GC go through, and it could be as low as $13 after discount/GCs if the scenario I outlined goes through (with $5 of that going toward Cinderella). To me, it's worth the risk, especially since my Target will almost certainly sell out immediately.

Agree - I will pick up the Target deal on Tue early morning - but won't be able to pick up the TRU preorder until later that day. This of course that I can get the preorder tomorrow at noon when I stop by. This way, if TRU doesn't work out, I'll just return the movie. Otherwise, I'll return the target one.

Maybe toyrus has better deal if buy two copies? They will give you $15 gift card if you buy avengers $30 more. And you will get $20 from preorder.

So total for each if preorder two,

$27.99
- 5(preorder avengers get $5)
- 7.5(two avenger get $15 gc)
- 10 (preorder Cinderella)
------------
=$5.49
+($5 deposit for Cinderella preorder)

Is that correct?

truelies said:   Maybe toyrus has better deal if buy two copies? They will give you $15 gift card if you buy avengers $30 more. And you will get $20 from preorder.

So total for each if preorder two,

$27.99
- 5(preorder avengers get $5)
- 7.5(two avenger get $15 gc)
- 10 (preorder Cinderella)
------------
=$5.49
+($5 deposit for Cinderella preorder)

Is that correct?

Ow. My head hurts.

Given the way the ad is phrased, I seriously doubt the blu ray counts as Avengers merchandise. Even if it does, it is only $28, not $30. Even if one can find $2+ of filler, it almost negates the extra $5 in savings...plus you have to buy two.

In other words, one might be able to do it, but it won't be worth it for me personally to try.

From Toyrus's ad, blu ray count for $30 purchase.

Talk about new math!

truelies said:   From Toyrus's ad, blu ray count for $30 purchase.
From the ad:
"Free $15 Gift Card with ANY Avengers Blu-ray AND ANY Avengers purchase of $30 or more*"

The fine print from the * indicates nothing about whether Blu-rays qualify; it's typical limited quantities and GC restriction stuff.

To me, when it says BR AND purchase, that means the BR is not included in the $30. At a minimum this still leaves you $2 short if you buy a second...and that's IF they consider that second BR to be part of the additional $30 needed, which I doubt...but we'll see. It is mostly going to depend on how they have the computers configured.

DoctorDeals said:   truelies said:   From Toyrus's ad, blu ray count for $30 purchase.
From the ad:
"Free $15 Gift Card with ANY Avengers Blu-ray AND ANY Avengers purchase of $30 or more*"

The fine print from the * indicates nothing about whether Blu-rays qualify; it's typical limited quantities and GC restriction stuff.

To me, when it says BR AND purchase, that means the BR is not included in the $30. At a minimum this still leaves you $2 short if you buy a second...and that's IF they consider that second BR to be part of the additional $30 needed, which I doubt...but we'll see. It is mostly going to depend on how they have the computers configured.

Will try this. If no $15 gc, at least can get it at $12.99

was able to preorder today - tried to get the $5 GC but didn't work - the card says get a $5 GC when you preorder, but then the fine prints says you'll get it when you pick up the movie.

rsuaver said:   was able to preorder today - tried to get the $5 GC but didn't work - the card says get a $5 GC when you preorder, but then the fine prints says you'll get it when you pick up the movie.

Yes, but it is a separate barcode on the card AND it says get $5 when you reserve. Read my speculative post above again to see how I think it will play out.

My perspective is, if I am going to get the same sale as everybody else (just one $5 GC), why bother preordering? The ease will obviously all depend on the way the computers are set up to process the transaction.

DoctorDeals said:   rsuaver said:   was able to preorder today - tried to get the $5 GC but didn't work - the card says get a $5 GC when you preorder, but then the fine prints says you'll get it when you pick up the movie.

Yes, but it is a separate barcode on the card AND it says get $5 when you reserve. Read my speculative post above again to see how I think it will play out.

My perspective is, if I am going to get the same sale as everybody else (just one $5 GC), why bother preordering? The ease will obviously all depend on the way the computers are set up to process the transaction.

Preordered two, will add $2.01 toy tomorrow to see what will happen.

Just got back from TRU. I have assembled the Avengers' policies.

1) Avengers does NOT qualify for the Disney preorder discount. So it won't daisy chain with the other discs. You'll have to start that process with another likely regularly priced disc, although I noticed today you do get a free Cinderella clock with preorder as well. Of course, one probably should just wait until later this week to see just how good TRU's price will be relative to the other chains.

2) I did get a $10 GC ($5 for each promo: preorder and sale). HOWEVER, you have to be VERY careful to make sure the cashier scans the barcode on the back of the preorder. They scan the barcode on the preorder receipt first, this does automatically trigger the $5 GC from the sale (as I speculated). The cashier may then think that you got your $5 GC for preordering, but the instructions on the preorder card CLEARLY state they are to scan the barcode on the preorder card as well. This will then make it a $10 GC.

So for those that preordered Avengers, this is a $1 better deal than Target (Target Red Card owners can get it for $19), though with more hassle and $10 tied up in GCs. For those that didn't preorder, definitely go with Target for Avengers.

Returning the preorder tomorrow - A $10 TRU GC is worth less than $10 to me since most items are overpriced. I did pick up the Target deal this morning...

rsuaver said:   Returning the preorder tomorrow - A $10 TRU GC is worth less than $10 to me since most items are overpriced. I did pick up the Target deal this morning...

Normally I would agree and do the same, but a) I still suspect TRU will be best in the long haul, and b) I'm sure my Target is long sold out.

I just updated the OP to remove the Avengers comments when someone at SD mentioned they DID get Cinderella preorder to work. So now I'm confused (and a little annoyed).

Two different SDers confirmed the cinderella discount worked. One confirmed this was on the 2disc set - which rang at $29.99 instead of $22.99. The other one didn't specify yet. Which there's a strong possibility that the TRU idiots flagged the 2disc set as a Disney title, but not the 4disc set.

This would suck...

Looks like 3D edition not work, only 2D works.

Thanks op!

I updated the OP to reflect the new Cinderella $5 coupon. I also have decided to leave the Avengers stuff out since it appears it only works for the 2 disc version (non-3D) AND it may only work on the regular price (which makes it not much better than the sale price). All in all, the Avengers aspect turned out to be far more confusing than it needed to be. Too bad.

As long as Cinderella is less than $33, it should prove to beat Target and Best Buy next week (both are $23 after coupon).

NO GO at TRU - They would not lower the price to account for the $10 off.

Even had trouble returning the $5 deposit - the idiot flagged it as returned. So had to hunt him down so he could fix it - was short on time so had to leave.

As annoying as it is that they had of double (actually triple) standard with regard to Avengers vs. all other Disney Blu Rays, I'm just keeping the perspective that we knew it wasn't guaranteed to work in the first place. The original version of the OP reflected that uncertainty, so I feel I can't get too upset about it.

In other news, rumor is that Cinderella 3 disc will be $30 at TRU. 2 disc is $25, but since the coupon is for the 3 disc only, they are essentially the same price. Updating OP momentarily....

DoctorDeals said:   As annoying as it is that they had of double (actually triple) standard with regard to Avengers vs. all other Disney Blu Rays, I'm just keeping the perspective that we knew it wasn't guaranteed to work in the first place. The original version of the OP reflected that uncertainty, so I feel I can't get too upset about it.

In other news, rumor is that Cinderella 3 disc will be $30 at TRU. 2 disc is $25, but since the coupon is for the 3 disc only, they are essentially the same price. Updating OP momentarily....

Looking back, I should have gotten the 2disc anyway - It would have come to $22-$10 but also $10 in GC. And would have been and easy flip as well. Oh well.

So potentially it'll be $15 which is not bad... Hoping it'll be on sale for less than $30.

Just went to TRU and they scanned preorder card: the two disc for $29.99 and the three disc for $34.99. I don't know if it'll be further discounted for opening week.

This is my first time going to TRU to buy the disney blu ray. When i went to TRU, the two disc scan for $29.99 but advertised for $22.99. They refunded me $7. Also, I got $10 off for preordering cinderella (I didn't have to argue, the register gave me $10 off)

$22.99 (sale price)
-10.00 (pre-order cinderella)
-5.00 (deposit on avenger pre-order)
+5.00 (deposit on cinderella)
-----
$12.99 but i also got $10 gc ($5 from the pre-order, $5 b/c i purchase the blu ray)

Skipping 112 Messages...
Oz The Great and Powerful $7 Coupon
link
Valid June 1114, 2013

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014