• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Price has been on sale at $59 for a while. Dropped to $49.99 today
Reel Nice

Cabela's
See Cabela's coupons that earn 1.5% FatWallet Cash Back.
Member Summary

reel (61.08kB)
Thanks BMWLVR82
Disclaimer
  • Also categorized in:

I see that they offer this for 8, 10 & 12 pound test. What's a good all around weight to use. Where no specific species is targeted? . For like a trunk pole or river kayaking?

These reel sizes are all good for general light fishing. They just differ slightly in size and spool capacity.
You can put 15-20 lb. line on a 10 reel and it will work fine, just less line capacity.

You could use any of these reels for anything from bluegills/bass/catfish to flounder/redfish/trout/small salmon. Match them with a medium or medium light 6-7' rod and you are set.

It's simply a personal preference on how large of a reel you want to use. The bigger the reel size, generally the more leverage you can apply to the fish.
None of these are considered ultra-light or heavy.

I personally use 6 or 8 spinning reels for bass and bay fishing. And I also carry a couple of reels with 12-15lb test line for redfish and heavier fishing.
Just use quality line and learn how to tie reliable knots. That is much more important than the type or size of the reel you use.

Nice post, ty for the info...I always wonder what I should buy if i'm fishing for flounder/weakfish...or what I'd need for Stripers.

BansheeMullet said:   These reel sizes are all good for general light fishing. They just differ slightly in size and spool capacity.
You can put 15-20 lb. line on a 10 reel and it will work fine, just less line capacity.

You could use any of these reels for anything from bluegills/bass/catfish to flounder/redfish/trout/small salmon. Match them with a medium or medium light 6-7' rod and you are set.

It's simply a personal preference on how large of a reel you want to use. The bigger the reel size, generally the more leverage you can apply to the fish.
None of these are considered ultra-light or heavy.

I personally use 6 or 8 spinning reels for bass and bay fishing. And I also carry a couple of reels with 12-15lb test line for redfish and heavier fishing.
Just use quality line and learn how to tie reliable knots. That is much more important than the type or size of the reel you use.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014