• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Samsung 830 SSD price dropped $20 to $179.99. Is this a good price for Samsung 830?

Amazon Link

Member Summary

ssd
Thanks BMWLVR82
Disclaimer
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

varestmax said:   Samsung 830 SSD price dropped $20 to $179.99. Is this a good price for Samsung 830?

Amazon Link

It's an excellent price for the drive. For those wondering, the prices have been dropping like rocks due to the 840 being announced/released. This is still a good deal, though. The 840's are going to be $270'ish and are going to offer marginally better performance.

I think so. I got one.

Well that was quick. Price is back to $195.99

Hejj said:   varestmax said:   Samsung 830 SSD price dropped $20 to $179.99. Is this a good price for Samsung 830?

Amazon Link

It's an excellent price for the drive. For those wondering, the prices have been dropping like rocks due to the 840 being announced/released. This is still a good deal, though. The 840's are going to be $270'ish and are going to offer marginally better performance.

Price drops in the Samsung 830 Series really have nothing to do with the 840 series being released soon. If fact, other than a couple these one day flash sales, the prices for the 128MB and 256GB 830 series SSDs have been slowly increasing from the lows set back in late July. In general the global recession particularity in China is the real reason for all SSD price drops and that is going to keep ALL SSDs prices low for now.

As far as the 840 vs the 830 the 840 series price you are quoting is retail and not street. The 840 will only be $20 more at street pricing than the 830 series However as you noted performance-wise there is no real benefit to paying that premium. Unless you have the newest Intel SATA controllers there is no performance benefit. The real benefit of the 840 series over the 830 is that Samsung will offer it in a mSata version as well as the traditional 7mm 2.5 packaging Most of the newest performance laptops have moved to either offering a single mSata or a mSata plus + a traditional drive bay.

Plus, the 840 may not be as desirable, as it uses TLC NAND. The 840 "Pro" uses MLC like before. (Except 21nm, rather than 27nm.)

I've got the mSata plus trad/ssd drive. For me it was between the M5P or 840P if they offer an intro price. I don't know that the drives have been direcctly compared yet. Also the battery life IS reported to be significantly better with the M5P I don't know about with the 840 yet.

Gadgetar has a Post with Listed Price of $169

$169 at Newegg between 12pm-3pm PT with coupon EMCYTZT2258.

Today only, 9/26.

$197 now. dead.

It is alive again. Back to $179.99 at Amazon. Just ordered one as I missed the last deal.

Gadgetar shows Newegg as having this drive for $169 but I got a dead link. Searched on Newegg and found the 256 as $199 now.

Buy . com $170 now and free shipping

[edit: buy . com sold out on 10-10-2012]

link

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014