• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Step by step for current customers:

1. Call in and say you are considering cancelling, or cancelling your current plan to switch to prepaid.
2. Tell them the plan you are wanting to switch to is the $30 data plan (100 minutes talk time, unlimited data [5g throttle]) ANY OTHER SUPER CHEAP PLAN MAY WORK TOO...
3. CS rep should at this point try to offer you some deals to keep you before moving onward!
4. My CS rep tried to give me a $49 a month plan, I still said no and said the plan I wanted was $20 less than that... no thank you!
5. The CS rep then gave me the deal I accepted... around $38 a month. I accepted this deal because on average I do use more than 100 minutes a month AND I wouldn't have to pay the early cancellation fee I was expecting to have to pay.
6. I was able to get this deal by having a University Alumni discount of %15 (MU Tigers) and the CS rep giving a $10 monthly discount for 24 months.

A few days later I went into my account and saw that my monthly charge was set up at $49.99 a month. I was a little steamed so I went ahead and called in to verify my monthly charge. The rep I talked to said 'no, you will be paying $49 a month. I don't see how you could have received a different deal that brought you to $38 or $39'.
Well, he finally read the notes and saw that I would be receiving a $10/month discount for 24 months. Then I finally knew it was all good.

I have been with T-Mobile since I got the G1 Google phone, I don't know if this matters. The rep that was verifying my monthly charge said that the 'royalty' reps had a little more leeway to strike deals with customers. So in a nutshell, I guess you need to get one of those reps.

I didn't fight to get this deal, so I can't imagine it would be too hard for others to get. I bought a new Galaxy S3 off of Craigslist and am VERY VERY happy with it.

T-Mobile
See T-Mobile discounts that earn Up to $37.50 FatWallet Cash Back.
Member Summary

Logo
Thanks Logician1313
Disclaimer
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Alternatively...you COULD go to Straight Talk for $45/mo unlimited EVERYTHING. Just sayin...

unlock and use ST byod Att sim with better coverage.

How about cancel and have Tmobile offer a better deal for EVERYONE.. current customers and new customers alike????
Many poor folk are with assurance or safelink wireless because they can't afford a phone & service because they are poor.
If a subsidized plan can get variations on 250 free minutes & texts.. people who can afford to pay $30 - $40 a month should be able to get $30 for a feature phone and $40 for a smart phone unlimited everything plans. Otherwise, go prepaid Not $70 for MetroPCS 4glte unlimited everything..

BlurryEyed said:   Alternatively...you COULD go to Straight Talk for $45/mo unlimited EVERYTHING. Just sayin...

Sure it is. Use more than 100MB of data a day and see how your "unlimited EVERYTHING" is holding up.

1st reply said: Alternatively...you COULD go to Straight Talk for $45/mo unlimited EVERYTHING. Just sayin...

I guess I could pay MORE and pay the cancellation fee AND get throttled a lot sooner... but I chose not to.

Believe me, I did a lot of research and was ready to go prepaid. The $30 plan would have worked just fine for me since I use, on average, about 200 minutes of talk time a month.

I was just up in the air about what device I wanted to buy... the Nexus, Note or S3.

BonusWhore said:   I use, on average, about 200 minutes of talk time a month.Most people, when they make a comment like this, forget about the free night/weekend/cell-to-cell, etc. minutes which will now start counting.

Beware, though, ANYTIME you change your plan or add a discount to your T-Mobile service you will be entered into another contract without your knowledge or consent.

osbo45 said:   Beware, though, ANYTIME you change your plan or add a discount to your T-Mobile service you will be entered into another contract without your knowledge or consent.

They've always told me when there's a contract extension applicable. You consent by choosing to go through with the upgrade after being informed that an extension comes with it.

thanks for the heads-up OP. i'll be eligible for an upgrade to the S3 next Jan. if i do that now, then i'd be locked into another 2 yrs. any ideas on scoring the S3 + low monthly rate?

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014