• 123 4 512
  • Page
  • Text Only
Dfed said:   From another forum below, data usage is fine.

"I am currently running a 1 hour long IDLE hotspot test here at work. It is running and connected to 4g, there are NO devices connected to the hotspot. Will report if any data was used. I will also run the test again with my cell phone connected to the hotspot for exactly 1 hour but without using the phone and see if any data is used.

I have confirmed that there is NO excessive data transfer when idling with no devices connected for 1 hour AND with devices connected idling for an hour. So the 10mb/hr claim is not true."

There was a follow up on that:

"Woa woa woa SCRATCH THAT.. The service DOES use 10mb PER hour idle!!!

Just took 4 hours to update on the site. "

Thanks for the update, they are in Beta. If anyone needs to contact them. Call the number at the bottom of their service plan Terms. I had a shipping problem and someone picked right up at that number. Some orders with their beta order system went to the billing address not shipping addy. They will then send the info to FedEx. Hope this helps.

Just got my hot spot and was surprised of its small size. Also did not realize it was battery powered thats even a further plus. One problem I see though is the default password i'm sure they're probably all the same which means if you're in a public place you could see your usage skyrocket.Looks best to change it right away.

So if you turn off the auto top off feature does that mean your data will stop when you reach 500mb and you wont be charged any fees?

Up and running with the mobile hotspot in Seattle metro area. It did take about 5 minutes to connect to 4g though. I hope it is faster next time ��.

Up and running here too...Very happy so far...Great for back up and light usage...Just need to keep on top of the usage.

Gergor said:   Dfed said:   From another forum below, data usage is fine.

"I am currently running a 1 hour long IDLE hotspot test here at work. It is running and connected to 4g, there are NO devices connected to the hotspot. Will report if any data was used. I will also run the test again with my cell phone connected to the hotspot for exactly 1 hour but without using the phone and see if any data is used.

I have confirmed that there is NO excessive data transfer when idling with no devices connected for 1 hour AND with devices connected idling for an hour. So the 10mb/hr claim is not true."

FedEx says mine wont arrive until next week, meanwhile, who else is investigating this?
I'd think if they are collecting browsing history, etc, they would collect that at their
op center - much easier that way. What else would they be collecting? Usage? 10mb seems
awful lot. I am eager to crack it open to see if there's a gps, video camera, voice
recorder...

I just connected this device to my HP touchpad without much browsing any sites. Then I checked my usage & surprise it has already used 8 MB (2%).

Stranger2 said:   likeaw said:   Looks like they charge 2.99 per month for speedboost. No way to remove that? Wimax, isnt that going away?

There is very SMALL link underneath "No thanks, proceed without".

Now, question is, which cell network is this going to be operating under?

I am interested in using the hotspot option for $90 IF this company folds, is that device going to be worth the $90 "deposit" that I probably won't get back?

That link is gone now? I didn't see it.

johnt50 said:   That link is gone now? I didn't see it.

No, the link is still present.

I connected the device to my tablet looking for the IKEA Store location, then turn off both devices after. It was less than two pages browsing. But the Plan Usage report shows 3MB gone already.

I am not sure does it correct or everyone have the same issues. If yes, I guess this service is useless even if I upgrade to 2GB Plan.

I guess every one has doubts about the data usage that it is showing up on their accounts, it is not just me. Hardly browsed 5/6 pages,(no did not go to youtube), just couple of deals sites just like fatwallet, but with more pictures. It is now showing 80mn. Hmmm... Immediately, turned it off to save the data for rainy day usage.

Not sure if I am the only one, but I have encountered many "glitches" throughout the sign up process.

After almost a week and multiple emails and trial and error on their part they finally were able to setup my account properly, but they still haven't shipped the device to me yet.

It's been pretty disappointing even for a beta product.

never mind

I got charged 30 dollars for using 1.5GB in 15 minutes. What a scam. I probably used 20MB just to test it out.

I guess I'll wait to see if there are any new updates before activating the thing.

HatsuneMiku said:   I got charged 30 dollars for using 1.5GB in 15 minutes. What a scam. I probably used 20MB just to test it out.

Can you please post a screenshot of your usage page? Apologize for being skeptical, but this is your first post ever on FW.

Until proof is provided I would take this post with a grain of salt.

Slider said:   HatsuneMiku said:   I got charged 30 dollars for using 1.5GB in 15 minutes. What a scam. I probably used 20MB just to test it out.

Can you please post a screenshot of your usage page? Apologize for being skeptical, but this is your first post ever on FW.

Until proof is provided I would take this post with a grain of salt.

I agree - People need to realize this is for a back up and occassional usage and it's free...not meant to replace anything...Just use it with care and attention to your account and you'll be fine.
I got mine on Friday; browsed a few pages, checked my e-mails, and the usage was a few MBs and no issues - I was even brave enough to try a few of their offers,the simple ones, and got an extra 40+MBs for the month; fully expecting to get some junck mail in return - Take this for what it is; that's all!

Shezam said:   I agree - People need to realize this is for a back up and occassional usage and it's free...not meant to replace anything...Just use it with care and attention to your account and you'll be fine.
I got mine on Friday; browsed a few pages, checked my e-mails, and the usage was a few MBs and no issues - I was even brave enough to try a few of their offers,the simple ones, and got an extra 40+MBs for the month; fully expecting to get some junck mail in return - Take this for what it is; that's all!

IMO, hat is YOUR flawed opinion. I am guessing you probably used it once and are basing your opinion on what data usage that initially posted a few hours afterward vs FreedomPOP's final assessed usage a few days later. There are MANY, MANY people posting here and other deal sites that they are being assessed insane data usage amounts for simple tasks like web browsing for a few times that they know is far less than the data usage FreedomPOP claims. Plus despite what you may believe even with their "free" 500MB/mo plan this broadband service is NOT advertised as an occasional backup usage service and it certainly is NOT free. There is absolutely NO way you can simply avoid their planned overages by just monitoring your data usage since data usage from connected sessions continue to post days later.

Speaking of data usage I finally got an answer from FreedonPop's CS about the "data leakage" when using their service and was I basically told: " "We are giving you 500MB per month for free so we can use as much of that 500MB we want for data collection and monitoring as you agreed when you signed up for our service.” I replied back stating I paid for the $9.99 1GB/mo plan so you are not giving me anything. Needless to say I already setup a return for my device which BTW incurs a $9.99 processing fee to get your deposit back! This is yet another fee never mentioned in their TOS. I am glad now I have screenshots of their TOS when I signed up as well as from their site stating your deposit is 100% refundable. I know their TOS agreement has an arbitration clause, but since they are implementing terms and fees not clearly disclosed in their TOS that contract is obviously void so I'll wait until I get my current CC billing statement with the FreedomPop charge and then just dispute the entire charge.

BTW NetZero is also now offering a similar "free" 4G mobile internet offer. As with FreedomPop, NetZero is also reselling Clear’s 4G Service. Given the lucrative nature of being able to collect sensitive personal marketing data not allowed through any other means I suspect these free broadband offers will be as common as the AOL offers were 10 years ago.

My status.
They shipped the hotspots the same day I ordered.
Got they unit a wk later. Charged overnight. Turn on for 20 min w/o connect any device yet. No mb used per website. Turn the unit off. Will turn on later then connect a device.

Just want to share the exp.

After 3 short session online about 5 min each. Used 19mb
Just open about 3 pages of fatwallet forum. Used 4mb. The worse part is that how it control the traffic. The data traffic has more priority than my web traffic. So far web traffic is allow to get thru after collecting traffic. Online game (pethouse) traffic doesn't get thru even after 5min.

Terrible business model. I wouldn't surprise this company going down the toilet.

Continue to use it for a month to see what happen. Then most likely return before the company going down.

Why do these new companies all seem to be run by 3 teenagers down in their parent's basement?!?

This is a scam service.

Does anyone know what city and state returns go to? Mine shipped from INDIANAPOLIS, IN but was returned to sender at BROOKLYN, NY due to shipping label incorrect. Thanks.

Hmm, My usage is showing 0. Based on all these warnings, I Browsed for 10 minutes, and shut it off, about 12 hours later, my usage is still showing 0.

Is there are forum that discusses this as a product to use, rather than as a hot deal.

Gergor said:   hou said:   I got hotspot today, Turn on then charge about two hours,no any device connected. but when I log in my account, it show me 23M used already. How this happened? It's meaning 500M is not enough even no use? see detail:
----------------------------------------
ate Time Source Data Used
Oct 4, 2012 7:00 PM Plan Usage 4 MB
Oct 4, 2012 6:30 PM Plan Usage 4 MB
Oct 4, 2012 5:30 PM Plan Usage 10 MB
Oct 4, 2012 5:15 PM Plan Usage 1 MB
Oct 4, 2012 5:00 PM Plan Usage 3 MB

This is unusually large amount of data for any kind of background operation, did you try to contact freedompop for an explanation?

People in other forum said the data usage is rounded to MB. So if you use 1KB, it potentially round to ONE MB (?). That would make sense why visiting few webpage would use 23MB. Or use 10MB PER hour idle since there is probably still some background apps/task that do some ping/checking/etc and use few KBs every few mins (which round to MB every few mins).....

fish777 said:   People in other forum said the data usage is rounded to MB. So if you use 1KB, it potentially round to ONE MB (?). That would make sense why visiting few webpage would use 23MB. Or use 10MB PER hour idle since there is probably still some background apps/task that do some ping/checking/etc and use few KBs every few mins (which round to MB every few mins).....

According to the TOS:

"At the end of each broadband session we will calculate your broadband data usage rounded up to the nearest 0.1 megabyte. For example, if your actual data usage is 1.32 megabytes, you will be charged for 1.4 megabytes of data usage. We'll deduct the total charge from your Credit Account balance at the end of each session"

Gergor said:   fish777 said:   People in other forum said the data usage is rounded to MB. So if you use 1KB, it potentially round to ONE MB (?). That would make sense why visiting few webpage would use 23MB. Or use 10MB PER hour idle since there is probably still some background apps/task that do some ping/checking/etc and use few KBs every few mins (which round to MB every few mins).....

According to the TOS:

"At the end of each broadband session we will calculate your broadband data usage rounded up to the nearest 0.1 megabyte. For example, if your actual data usage is 1.32 megabytes, you will be charged for 1.4 megabytes of data usage. We'll deduct the total charge from your Credit Account balance at the end of each session"

This may be even worse. How do they define each session? So each ping to different ip address that use few bytes is one session each?
No wonder some people said they use 10MB PER hour idle. Probably background task/app just checking for email, RSS, apps updates, Windows update, antivirus update, etc. Or ping some ip address to see if internet is available. Each one use few bytes and rounded up to 100k for "each session".

$.99 fee info

If you choose the free Broadband Service, your Broadband Service will remain active every month in which you timely pay all applicable fees for your use of the Broadband Service in excess of your free data allocation, and all fees for the Value Added Services. Your Broadband Service becomes inactive after 30 days of Broadband Service activity under the 5mb threshold or if you fail to pay any fees for the Broadband Service and Value Added Services when due.

If you choose the free Broadband Service and use less than 5mb in any given month, we'll charge you a $.99 Active Status fee to keep your account active.

For your convenience, we will automatically deduct the Active Status fee from your FreedomPop Account balance in each month your Broadband Service usage is under 5mb to ensure no disruption of the Broadband Service and Value Added Services.

If funds are not available in your FreedomPop Account, we will initiate an Automated Top-Up on your behalf of $10.00 to cover funds for Active Status fee.

If we are unable to fund your FreedomPop Account, you will have 30 days to pay Active Status fee for your Broadband Service before we cancel your Broadband Service; upon such cancelation, any remaining balance in your FreedomPop Account will be forfeited and you will be required to reactivate Broadband Service or Value Added Services per below.

Your subscriptions to the Other Services will not be affected by such termination; provided however, that the Other Services will be terminated if you fail to make any payment for the Other Services when due.

HatsuneMiku said:   I got charged 30 dollars for using 1.5GB in 15 minutes. What a scam. I probably used 20MB just to test it out.

This is roughly 1.7 MB per second. While plausible, this seems highly unlikely unless you have a very very good connection.

Gergor said:   
According to the TOS:

The quote you provide is only for overage data. For data within your allocated plan they round up to the full MB..

CS sucks. I cant logon because I cant reset my password. Ive tried resetting it but they never send me a reset password email. Ive checked my junk folder. I can logon with the computer I purchased with because the info is chached. Ive sent an email to return this and no response. I diffently do not trust them.......going to dispute the charge.

I wonder when all this Freedom will Pop..

I have just did a few tests with mine but it seems to be close to what I would expect to see. Below is a copy of what they say I have used so far.

Actual data usage may be delayed up to 3 hours

Date Time Source Data Used
Oct 9, 2012 9:15 AM Plan Usage 6 MB
Oct 9, 2012 8:15 AM Plan Usage 2 MB
Oct 9, 2012 8:00 AM Plan Usage 2 MB
Oct 6, 2012 1:30 PM Plan Usage 6 MB
Oct 5, 2012 6:00 PM Plan Usage 1 MB
Oct 5, 2012 5:45 PM Plan Usage 0 MB

Coverage seems hit or miss in the Bay Area for me (solid green to amber, to no connection) in the Bay Area even if the coverage map shows green (or light green).

Got an e-mail, and ordered it yesterday. Hopefully I won't be disputing charges with the credit card people. I see that if your account goes below $2, they automatically do a top off, and if you get within 100mb of your limit, that triggers a top off also. That means that to keep it "free," I'll really only be able to use 400mb, or have to turn off the automatic top offs.

Classic 'screw the customer' business model. If you're willing to cross all T's and dot all I's and read the fine print, you'll get a little free bandwidth. Anything less, and you'll be charged outrageous fees.

So far from reading in different forum, the data metering is very shady. There is no real definition of "session" means. Looks like they may do both rounding to MB per 15 mins (for FREE 500MB) AND rounding to 0.1MB per session. So if you do some BIG download of single file, it may not matter. But is one session mean ONE connection to ONE IP address? So if you have multiple apps/task pinging multiple IP address, each ping is ONE session? So checking 3 different email addresses, and Microsoft update checker, Google play, Amazon store, Antivirus update checking, Apps that connect to Ads servers, etc, each one count as one session. So if they check for update every 15 mins, even though each take only few hundreds bytes, it will round to 100k(?).

fish777 said:   Gergor said:   hou said:   I got hotspot today, Turn on then charge about two hours,no any device connected. but when I log in my account, it show me 23M used already. How this happened? It's meaning 500M is not enough even no use? see detail:
----------------------------------------
ate Time Source Data Used
Oct 4, 2012 7:00 PM Plan Usage 4 MB
Oct 4, 2012 6:30 PM Plan Usage 4 MB
Oct 4, 2012 5:30 PM Plan Usage 10 MB
Oct 4, 2012 5:15 PM Plan Usage 1 MB
Oct 4, 2012 5:00 PM Plan Usage 3 MB

This is unusually large amount of data for any kind of background operation, did you try to contact freedompop for an explanation?

People in other forum said the data usage is rounded to MB. So if you use 1KB, it potentially round to ONE MB (?). That would make sense why visiting few webpage would use 23MB. Or use 10MB PER hour idle since there is probably still some background apps/task that do some ping/checking/etc and use few KBs every few mins (which round to MB every few mins).....

... but people are talking about no device attached, in which case there should be absolutely
not data, not even background data.

I just got mine. Tried out last night - listened to pandora for 15 seconds, it shows 5mb usage.
I have a feeling they will have to fix this sooner or later or they will have a massive
inventory of returned items.

I'm thinking they are going to fix the usage calculation...it could be as simple as redefining a "session". Don't send those hotspots back yet...my guess is a fix will be in place by the end of the month.

I am still cautiously optimistic!

Slider said:   I'm thinking they are going to fix the usage calculation...it could be as simple as redefining a "session". Don't send those hotspots back yet...my guess is a fix will be in place by the end of the month.

I am still cautiously optimistic!

There is really no reason to "round" to MB at the end of "session" or every 15 minutes. They are using computer to monitor data usage and they can easily count how much data you use up in Byte unit. Any rounding beside in the final monthly bill doesn't sense. "Rounding" other than at the end of the month is just a way for them to give you less data than what they promised. And they can redefine how they "round" anytime they want if they are not making money from all those "FREE" users. Some people already noticed their Terms and Conditions are changing so what you saw when you signup probably different than what it is NOW or few days from now.

Since this company just started, this is the right time to leave reviews in all the review sites so people pay more attention of what this new startup is doing. Hopefully they do away with this shady "round" business and start counting data use based on REAL usage. But if people don't push them and give them pressure, they are not going to change.

Customer service fine here. This week, they picked right up at the phone number, and responded within 24 hours with the website email support form.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014